La Liga 2019/20

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Whoever wins it, deserves it and I agree that both these teams are probably their worst versions in a very very long time but I do find Madrid a bit more consistent (even if it doesn't show in the table) and less reliant on one player to do something. They've also got a far better squad and manager. I think they'll win it.
Agreed completely

We are still over reliant on Messi whereas Madrid have their attack a little more spread out

Ramos injury may be interesting if he’s out for more than a week.

wr8_utd

:'(
Was the Benzema goal that much different from the Messi "handball" goal vs Atleti that was ruled out?

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
I'm not that sure...

It's probably the right call given the rules but this rule is awful. Should only be offside if the attacker is actively trying to block the keeper's view or if he's going for the ball.

If a player's just jogging back and doesn't go for the ball then these goals should stand imo

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Wow DeJong out for a month. Consider how thin our midfield is that sucks.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Was the Benzema goal that much different from the Messi "handball" goal vs Atleti that was ruled out?
The ball hit Messi's captain's arbmand which is the middle of the upper arm. Benzema's goal was a matter of centimeters. I think if the ref had called it a handball I don't think he would have overturned it with VAR. Felt like one of those calls to me where it's very hard to be 100% sure.

What a crushing one-two punch of close calls going against you.

Mark_Barca

Supports
Barcelona
It hit Benzema’s outstretched shoulder — I don’t know how people can think it’s an arm. How many times have we seen footballers pass the ball with exact same part of their body right at the joint. How many times have we seen players doing keep ups with their shoulder..I guess it’s all a hand ball now? :lol: :houllier:

This was ruled handball...

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Looks like La Liga decided to borrow the premier league version of VAR since the restart? I guess actually having a title race will be good for TV contract negotiations.

Are you not entertained?

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
To be honest, they seem exactly the same to me, I suppose in that case Messi's goal should be valid, perhaps the position and the fact that Messi propelled the ball forward instead of simply controlling it influenced the decision. (The tweet does not say anything interesting, it only cries that the only difference is the shirt that one and the other wear)
in this case the image seems quite clear, it is not valid,but would have decided that, even looking at the Var, with public?
Vini's penalty seems weak to me, but in that position it is predictable that will concede a penalty(reminded me to the penalty Giménez-Vini).
If Messi is the one who dribbles two players and falls ,of course it would be penalty

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
The perspective on both of those stills is bad and misleading

That said yes, Messi's goal in the supercup should have stood, it was very clearly shoulder iirc

Mark_Barca

Supports
Barcelona
Your point is because they fecked up in germany they should have fecked up in spain as well?
My point to the poster doing laughing emotions etc was there have been other very similar shoulder instances where the goal has been disallowed by VAR. One was in "Spain"... no consistency.

I dont think all three are handballs, but if the previous two are regarded by officials under new laws a handball, that goal last night should be dissallowed imo.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I mean, i get what you're saying but refs shouldn't repeat mistakes

This one is pretty clear

Starting at 0:33

The messi one i thought it was a travesty that it was disallowed, because the initial call was goal and i don't think there was enough to say for certain that it was handball. Personally from the replays i don't even think it was. But it still wasn't quite as clear as this one with benzema

Last edited:

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
My point to the poster doing laughing emotions etc was there have been other very similar shoulder instances where the goal has been disallowed by VAR. One was in "Spain"... no consistency.

I dont think all three are handballs, but if the previous two are regarded by officials under new laws a handball, that goal last night should be dissallowed imo.
You make it look like every previous shoulder instance has been like the two you mentioned. However it's possible to pick an action with the VAR choosing not to disallow the goal, like Inaki Williams's control vs Granada, also in "Spain".

watch

Funnily enough, this game also had a disallowed goal due to a player, Williams himself, obstructing the goalkeeper's view in an offside position.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Granted, I don't watch too much of them, but Barca look so one-paced every time I've seen them this season.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Seen this story so many times, a soft VAR penalty for Barca ten minutes from time will decide things here.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Granted, I don't watch too much of them, but Barca look so one-paced every time I've seen them this season.
Agree, Messi aside they look completely toothless. And he's not in good form eother. They'e got zero width and it seems Setien like Valverde just plays the biggest names.

Griezmann exemplarily looks atrocious on the left. You have to play him centrally or right or not at all. Fati or Puig provide much more danger from 1 on 1s than he does. Terrible move so far. Wasted on the left wing and no place for hik in the center.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
If anyone needs help falling asleep, guaranteed snorefest right here.
I never really enjoy their games as teams are too scared to attack them in case they leave too much space for Messi. Inflates their defensive stats (that and MTS usually making one wonder save a game) which is exposed annually in champions league.

At least with Real Madrid you're guarenteed a bit of defensive chaos at some stage so a better watch for the neutral.

Bilbao aren't even full strength tonight. Just put on Munain who'll hopefully get some passes through to Inaki Williams and Raul Garcia still on the bench. He'd cause them a few issues in the airt if Bilbao can actually get up the pitch and at least win some corners.

Ishdalar

Supports
Barcelona
Agree, Messi aside they look completely toothless. And he's not in good form eother. They'e got zero width and it seems Setien like Valverde just plays the biggest names.

Griezmann exemplarily looks atrocious on the left. You have to play him centrally or right or not at all. Fati or Puig provide much more danger from 1 on 1s than he does. Terrible move so far. Wasted on the left wing and no place for hik in the center.
It's hard to look great on the pitch when every time Messi has the ball he looks for Suarez ignoring Griezmann, and any time someone other than Leo gets the ball they're looking to pass it to Messi.

Maybe I'm just a fanboy, but I can't help thinking that Griezmann is being ostracized by the big guys of the squad.

SirAnderson

Fati will win this for them. His been the only gloss on this season for them, aside from Messi.

Seems like they started well and just hit a plateau.
Amazing Messi is still top scorer and top in assists.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
No yellow card for Messi?

Last edited:

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
O.k deadlock broken. Rakitic with nice break and finish in the box.

Vidal so lucky as he completely misdirected that header.

V.O.

Got on Barca the second their odds passed 2.0. Feeling very pleased with myself. :wenger:

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
It's hard to look great on the pitch when every time Messi has the ball he looks for Suarez ignoring Griezmann, and any time someone other than Leo gets the ball they're looking to pass it to Messi.

Maybe I'm just a fanboy, but I can't help thinking that Griezmann is been ostracized by the big guys of the squad.
I think it has more to do with being a bad fit. Griezmann is of course a great player but he's terribly utilized. I also don't understand what you guys were thinking when signing him. Messi is very versatile but the combo Griezmann/Messi/Suarez is probably one of the very few worldclass lineups that won't work out.

I mean, as a left wing he needs to make runs into the deep and win one on ones and that's not his strength by any means.

V.O.

Yeah, he's looked the most ordinary £100m player since... the last two they bought. :lol:

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Puig looks great again by the way. Exciting talent, hope they don't waste him.

RooneyLegend

Puig and Fati are simply playing better football than the starters. Big decisions to be made here.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
The moment not everything runs through him, Messi starts playing well again.

V.O.

Not quite sure who Ter Stegen was waving to there...