Lampard on Pogba

Ducklegs

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I would have a 25 year old fat Frank in the team all day long over Pogba, he was brilliant.

Alongside Scholes he was the best English midfielder of the last 20 years.

ti vu

I'm not sure whether it's by design or instructions or what but usually by the time we get in and around the box (which Pogba is often involved prior to) Paul is hanging well back with his hands on his hips. I say this as someone who has often owned him in FPL and shouting at him to get into the box!

In contrast, Frank was the master of the "late run into the box" - it was his trademark and best asset
Problem is we play too narrow, and beside Lukaku the other attackers also want to join the attack. We just don't have the creator. Even if we overload the box, the chance a good cross would being put in is slim. And Pogba is not the type who come as the first wave of attack either. Since he is a more potential attack builder and creator, he is used to get more involved in the other phase than trying to run into the box waiting for someone to create.

Lampard is different, and as Mourinho put it Lampard is less ideal than Sneijder and Deco. If you look at goal scoring stats, then you would have thought Deco and Snejder was underwhelming in their best season playing more as 10 by Lampard standard. Remember Pogba was not supposed to be the no 10 to begin with.

All in all, Pogba is not really supposed to be a Lampard at least until we solve all our creativity problem (Alexis helps a little and hopefully he would gel in next season and boost the team creative performance consistently). Pogba can do much even if he's not supposed to to be a Lampard as his potential show, that's what Lampard is right, and Mourinho wants to provoke Pogba to squeeze that out, that's a common knowledge shared & confirmed not just by Lampard.

edgar allan

Pogba has been one of the top central midfielders in England this past year. If Lampard suggests Pogba needs to increase his goals output to make himself a better player than him, that's wrong.

In a time where analytics continue to be relevant, you have to digger deeper than goals. Pogba has been better than last year and now needs to kick on to another level of consistent 7 and 8 performances. But he also needs to be put into a consistent side with his role and midfield partners clearly defined.
I don't know what games you are watching if you think Pogba is anywhere close to playing like a top class midfielder.
He has had a run of very poor performances this year followed by another terrible performance in our biggest game of the season.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
They mainly played 433. We’ve played 433 a fair bit this season too. People get far too hung up on formations, if you ask me. It’s not as though we play with touchline-hugging wingers and two strikers in the same way that we did under Fergie. We usually have loads of bodies in midfield, no matter what formation we set up with.
Lampard rarely had to do much defending infront of his own box. He was basically a 2nd striker if you consider how much work he had to do in defense compared to attack.

He's not right in saying that Pogba should be getting 15 goals playing next to Matic with 4 players playing further up the pitch than him. That's been most of Pogba's time here.

Pogba definitely should be making many more runs into the box but to be fair we lack midfielders around him. If Mata could be turned into a Modric then we'd have the kind of player that Lampard is saying that Pogba should be. At Juventus Pogba played with a workhorse and Pirlo in midfield and guys on the wing that could actually do something in attack. Pogba isn't Michael Laudrup, he isn't going to make something out of nothing even though he will try to do that. He needs someone to take the creative burden off of him so he can be free to make runs and do more things off the ball. As of now he does very little off the ball.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Lampard is probably right, this is due to Pogba having such high ceiling of talent, probably the highest for midfielder in the world currently.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Frank spent most of his Chelsea career operating as the furthest forward midfielder in a 4-3-3 with little little defensive responsibility. Pogba has spent most of his United return operating in a midfield two with the kind of defensive responsibility Essien had giving Lampard freedom. I dont remember him hitting 15 a season either. These pointless digs at Pogba from ex players need to stop.

Ive honestly heard few things dumber than 'there is no point dribbling in your own half'.....

edgar allan

Lampard is probably right, this is due to Pogba having such high ceiling of talent, probably the highest for midfielder in the world currently.
It really is a case of the emperor's new clothes with Pogba. We are told repeatedly about this high ceiling and yet time after time we don't see any evidence to back up the hype[/QUOTE]

Litch

Now Lampard is the barometer of good, bad and indifferent midfielders? The game always looks easier when you are not playing anymore....

1974_Fergie_Time

I'd sell Pogba today if i could - been cause of all team unrest and is a lazy player strolling about the pitch

We were lucky to be in the final Eriksen set up 3 chances for Spurs cause Pogba didn't track back and the goal
against Seville was him just watch the midfielder pass the ball instead of following the man - he also was at fault for Southampton's first goal in the League cup final

People say Sir Alex got it wrong not sorting out the squad before he left but he got it right with Pogba

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Now Lampard is the barometer of good, bad and indifferent midfielders? The game always looks easier when you are not playing anymore....
He's not the barometer but the opinion of someone who was a good midfielder on what makes a good midfielder is valid, especially when he thrived under the same manager as the bloke he is talking about.

Litch

He's not the barometer but the opinion of someone who was a good midfielder on what makes a good midfielder is valid, especially when he thrived under the same manager as the bloke he is talking about.
So every ex players opinions are valid then? For me only counts when they have played against them or with them. Seen them train and understand their mentality.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
So every ex players opinions are valid then? For me only counts when they have played against them or with them. Seen them train and understand their mentality.
Everyone's opinion can be valid, not just ex-players and not just people who have trained with the player they are talking about.

Having said that, A top midfielder who played under Mourinho will have insight into what it takes to be a top midfielder under Mourinho that most will not.

Treble

Lampard was more intelligent and professional on and off the pitch. Pogba behaves like a circus man at times. He is not stupid at all but his mind isn't focused on performing well throughout the game, he's more about doing flashy things. His immaturity is seriously infurating.

beingshe7don

The Pogba that won 4 scudettos in Italy were all younger than the one we have at the moment. None of the managers who he played under had any issues with his performances. Pogba is not the only one underperforming. We've got Pogba, Sanchez, Martial and Rashford all performing at levels well below average. It has something to do with management and Jose. I would blame the players but if this has happened throughout the course of the season, I think management and Jose need to take the fall for this. Play Pogba higher up consistently.... Let's call a spade a spade... Pogba is not a CDM but a CM. He's better playing ahead of Matic and Herrera. He's works his magic in the final third. Pogba needs to be given the license to do what he wants in a run of games to see what he can do. Yes, he does have some immaturity in him but let's give him the stage to do what he did at Juve and not stifle him with incessant defending.

markhrad

Lampard was more intelligent and professional on and off the pitch. Pogba behaves like a circus man at times. He is not stupid at all but his mind isn't focused on performing well throughout the game, he's more about doing flashy things. His immaturity is seriously infurating.
Totally agree. More interested in childish flicks, hairstyles and having fun than seriously making use his incredible talent. Two-footed, incredible control and dribbling skills, Scholes-like passing skills along with a great physique. He should be the one that replaces Ronaldo and Messi as the world's best but his immaturity may prevent him from realizing that goal.
I hope that he is not surrounded by enablers and that there is someone who can get him to focus on his game otherwise he will constantly disappoint.
I really miss the days when man utd players had passion. Some of these youngsters seem more interested in social media.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Pogba didn't exactly prove Fwank wrong yesterday did he?

Litch

Using that logic, will we expect that you don’t ever offer an opinion about a professional footballer again?
Only if I was a professional player giving it. There's a new breed of players that seem to crave the limelight once they've stopped playing. Lampard rather than taking about it, go and put you your money where your mouth is and prove you can truly assess a player through coaching or management....rather than the easiest target in the league.

edgar allan

Only if I was a professional player giving it. There's a new breed of players that seem to crave the limelight once they've stopped playing. Lampard rather than taking about it, go and put you your money where your mouth is and prove you can truly assess a player through coaching or management....rather than the easiest target in the league.
That's not at all true. You don't have to be a professional manager or player to be able to assess and give an opinion on a players performance.
Many pundits say controversial things to create news and raise their profile how in this case Lampard is just stating the absolute obvious.

RedStarUnited

Pogba might be more skilled than Lampard was but to suggest he should get more goals would show he doesn't actually watch United. In all of Pogba's time at United, only in the last 2 months has he started to play in a midfield 3 with more freedom to attack. Lampard played in midfield 3 and was more of a second striker so his goals numbers were mostly due to that.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Yeh. Iniesta never reached 10 goals in a season, while playing for 100-goals-a-season Barca. But he's still one of the GOAT attacking midfielder.

Last edited: