Landon Donovan to Everton

AlwaysRedwood

I wonder if Beckham has questioned his commitment to the Galaxy after hearing this news?
Probably not because it's a 3 month loan, which means he will come back and play for his team. While Beckham will not.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Often is also played as a forward. Let me know how Saha holds up.
Which is why I said he'd not get in ahead of Cahill/Fellaini, that's where they usually play.

Saha, Yakubu, Jo and Cahill/Fellaini fight for a position up front. He's worse than all of them.

Once its decided which of Cahill and Fellaini plays up front, the other plays on the left wing. Bilyaletdinov plays on the other wing, so at best he's a back-up to them two.

AlwaysRedwood

Which is why I said he'd not get in ahead of Cahill/Fellaini, that's where they usually play.

Saha, Yakubu, Jo and Cahill/Fellaini fight for a position up front. He's worse than all of them.

Once its decided which of Cahill and Fellaini plays up front, the other plays on the left wing. Bilyaletdinov plays on the other wing, so at best he's a back-up to them two.
Well, now that you've decided how all this works, i guess they won't be signing him.:wenger:

Oh, wait, you don't run the team, Moyes does, one of the better managers in the league today.

Think I'll wait to see what he does, rather than going with your brilliance.

Wandering Red

These are the type of amazing insights that bring me back to RedCafe over and over.
In fairness, he's Mexican (or at least lives there), so if anyone's going to tell Donovan to feck off, might as well be someone whose team has been beaten time and time again by him.

Donovan's preference was always Spain over Germany, since he speaks fluent Spanish. But he probably didn't get a lot of offers from there. Americans playing regularly over there is pretty rare.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Is there a stereotyping or feeling that no American can be good enough in La Liga? Many Americans have fared quite well in England, arguably the best league in the world. I don't see why some, especially the more "flair" players, can't succeed in Spain.

Wandering Red

Is there a stereotyping or feeling that no American can be good enough in La Liga? Many Americans have fared quite well in England, arguably the best league in the world. I don't see why some, especially the more "flair" players, can't succeed in Spain.
As a very broad generalization, American players don't have the touch/technique often preferred in the Spanish game. They tend to learn a more English style of game in general, so it's a bit similar to how you don't see many English players going to Spain, for example.

A lot of it can be traced back to the old NASL, which had a lot of English players and coaches, and who laid the groundwork for the game to grow in America. A bit more of the direct game, pure wingers, crosses, headers, and more physical style. People who grew up watching that league as well as the early years of MLS are more comfortable playing and coaching that style, especially at the youth levels. Sometimes it can be tough for those players to make the transition to a more "flair" league like La Liga once they get older.

That's all changing a bit now. A player like Donovan would probably be capable of making it in Spain with at least a midtable team. Villarreal took a punt on Jozy Altidore (only to loan him out to Xerez and then Hull, to be fair). At the moment, the real "technique" player for the US is probably Jose Torres (born and raised in the US, but his dad's from Mexico). Ironically, he doesn't seem to get much playing time for the US team.

Brwned

Well, now that you've decided how all this works, i guess they won't be signing him.:wenger:

Oh, wait, you don't run the team, Moyes does, one of the better managers in the league today.

Think I'll wait to see what he does, rather than going with your brilliance.
He's a good signing for Everton because he adds creativity and depth at a time when they desperately need it, but I don't think he'll get enough game time to get rid of his various masses of doubters.

As for the last line, they're one and the same. You'll see.

;)

Chief

Didn't he have a trial with a prem club in the summer preseaon???

I'm sure he trained weith a team but didn't cut.

Too small and thinks he's better than Becks IMO

Chief

True..

He was close to a move to Pompey a while back and trialed was loaned/trialed to Bayern..

Anyway.. He's shit!

Landon Donovan closes in on Everton loan signing

Everton have agreed a "deal in principle" to sign LA Galaxy striker Landon Donovan on a two-and-a-half-month loan from January.

The 27-year-old is set to join the Toffees on 2 January and will be available until mid-March.

"Everton is a club with a small roster and a congested schedule over the next few weeks and months," Galaxy coach Bruce Arena told Everton's site.

"It's a great fit, We are confident that is where he will end up."

The clubs are expected to hold further talks before the weekend, with the deal likely to be finalised on Friday.

Other teams were also interested but Arena stated Galaxy had "narrowed it down" to the Toffees.

Donovan said he had spoken to Everton's US keeper Tim Howard and was "very passionate" about a loan move.

The team-mate of David Beckham was speaking as he announced a new four-year deal with LA Galaxy that will keep him at the MLS team until the end of 2013.

"I've spoken to Tim Howard about Everton and I've heard from him, and others, nothing but good things," Donovan said.

"So that would be a fun opportunity if it came to fruition."

Arena said that part of Donovan's new contract included the option to go on loan for a 10-week period until the end of March similar to the arrangement Beckham has with AC Milan.

And although there was interest from other clubs Arena said: "It's been pretty much narrowed down to Everton."

On Friday Everton chief executive Robert Elstone said: "Donovan is a player that manager David Moyes has identified as someone he would like to bring to the club.

"We are working to make that happen and hope we can reach agreement soon with all the appropriate parties."

Donovan's arrival would provide a much-needed boost to Everton's injury-ravaged squad as they look to move up the Premier League table.

He is the USA's all-time leading goalscorer, with 42 goals in 120 appearances, although he failed to find his best form in the German league during spells at Bayer Leverkusen and Bayern Munich.

If fit, Donovan is virtually a certainty to start for the US against England in his nation's first group match of the World Cup in South Africa next summer.

BBC Sport - Football - Landon Donovan closes in on Everton loan signing
Im interested to see what he is really capable of at this level.

Great Hat

Im interested to see what he is really capable of at this level.
It certainly will. He didn't score a league goal in either of his brief stints in the side at Bayer Leverkusen (who loaned him out for most of his tenure there), or at loan at Bayern, so that doesn't stand him in great stead.

He's been consistently impressive for the Galaxy though, so the jury's out on him really. It'll be interesting to see how he adapts to the physical demands of the Prem, which are quite a bit higher than in Germany or the USA. I can imagine him doing moderately well, but I doubt he'll set the league alight myself.

pigface

Supports
Atlanta United
One side of me wants him to be a miserable failure so that he realizes that he is just cnut playing in a small time league. The other side of me wants him to succeed because I think it would be a real boost to football in the states. I just hate that it would be him doing it. Can't stand the little fecker!

Brwned

Yep. Most people thought it was an excellent debut.

I was surprised by how well he played myself if i'm honest.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
How's he been doing for them then? Haven't seen any of their games recently.

askabob

Could have had a goal yesterday as well, too bad that dink over Given went across the goal and not into it.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
He's slotted right into that side and doesn't look out of place at all. Probably the first American player since Howard that went to a well established club and immediately stepped in.

Shame about Dempsey at Fulham. Hope he's fit before the WC. Losing too many players lately.

Count Duckula

Sky Sports said:
Landon Donovan has admitted there is a chance he could extend his stay at Everton if all parties are in agreement.

The USA international has linked up with the Toffees on a 10-week loan spell and is due to return to parent club Los Angeles Galaxy in mid-March.

He has made a fine start to his Premier League career, catching the eye in the 2-2 draw against Arsenal and 2-0 victory over Manchester City.

Donovan has enjoyed his time in England far more than an unfulfilling stint with Bayern Munich last season and would be open to a longer deal.

"I've been made to feel so welcome and when you're welcome like that you don't want to let anyone down. It's a sharp contrast to how I felt last year when I was at Munich," he told the Liverpool Echo.

"It's a little more individual and selfish there. Here they make you feel part of a family and you keep going because you don't want to let anyone down.

"The future is out of my control. I want to enjoy this experience. That means I show up for training and I'm ready. I show up for the game and I'm ready.

"But who knows what will happen in the future. Football's funny and you never know what could happen.

"If I look back after 10 weeks and say I really want to stay then maybe I can make that happen. If I say OK it was good, but I'm ready to go then I can go, but for now I'm taking it week by week."

Atmosphere

Saturday's clash with City was Donovan's home debut and he admits it was a joy to play in front of the Goodison Park crowd.

"The atmosphere completely surpassed what I thought," he added. "I guessed if we scored a few goals or were winning they'd be loud, but it was from minute one. They really push you on.

"At points you get a bit tired but then you hear them and it helps them keep going.

"There are little parts that are still frustrating me and only coming back, my touch and in front of goal. The first two weeks I've felt better and sharper every day and I know there's more to me."

The versatile Donovan has been impressed by the performances of his team-mates, particularly midfield pair Steven Pienaar and Marouane Fellaini.

"I'm enjoying playing right wing. It's an easy job on the right wing when Phil Neville is behind you. My ears are getting a little bit worn out but I love it," he said.

"Steven Pienaar was fantastic in the centre of midfield. Tim Howard had said he might play there against Man City and I wondered if he could but my question got answered. He was fantastic in there.

"Not only do him and Marouane Fellaini run, compete and look good on the ball. What people don't see is how much they lead and keep talking."

Top four

Everton have risen into the top half of the table on the back of a seven-match unbeaten run and Donovan has already seen enough to tip David Moyes' side as possible UEFA Champions League qualifiers.

"When I was younger it was about me doing well. Me scoring, and me being the centre of things - but now I get joy out of winning," he said.

"When you play like we did against Manchester City and feel part of something bigger it's so much fun.

"I haven't been here that long but the way we've played at the Emirates and then against City - let's be honest we should have won there.

"The beauty is that they're not two fluke performances. I can imagine if this team if healthy for a good season would be a good contender for the top four."
Sky Sports | Football | News | Donovan open to longer stay

He seems to be enjoying it, too.

::sonny::

I've seen Lando again the Shitty, he played well, has been really useful with his movement off the ball