Television Last Week Tonight with John Oliver

Dante

Average bang
Which 13 year old story? There were 2 :wenger:

I feel guilty of liking a Scouser, but this guy is now undoubtedly my fave talkshow comedian. Should have been the one who replaced Stewart.
The last story. Sad as feck.

Yep. Trevor Noah is shite. It'd be like Russell Howard replacing Charlie Brooker on Screenwipe.

InfiniteBoredom

The last story. Sad as feck.

Yep. Trevor Noah is shite. It'd be like Russell Howard replacing Charlie Brooker on Screenwipe.
I was more affected by the story about the girl who asked for abortion instruction using her kitchenwares, that's horror movie stuff. What desperation does to people....

In a just world, Rick Perry or any of those cvnts who passed the trap laws should be lined up and shot. Despicable creatures void of empathy.

prath92

The how is this still a thing segment was amazing. glad this show is back on air.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Christ, that abortion segment was horrible, the US is seriously fecked up in a great many ways.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
The nightmare joke was probably the funniest moment I've seen on his show, and the story about the 13 year old the saddest. Great episode, well done.
It was fantastic! :lol:

I also like how he's covering the Supreme Court vacancy and pointing out the bullshit the Republicans are serving.

Cina

Christ, that abortion segment was horrible, the US is seriously fecked up in a great many ways.
Yeah i'd hate to be from a developed country with fecked up abortion law... oh.

prath92

Amazing yet again. I'm gonna die of laughter and I'm just 12 mins in

'Donald trump views the truth like this lemur views the Supreme Court vacancy "I don't care about that in any way. Please F off. I've got a banana"'

prath92

I think a lot of celebrities too joined in the #makedonalddrumpfagain campaign. Hopefully that helped.

Cina

Yep, just a shame most of the people who need to be made more aware about Trump probably won't be watching.
It's crazy really. I know quite a few Americans and have American Facebook friends and every single one of them condemns the man.

How in the flying feck is this happening? I think it just shows how easily people can be manipulated.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
It's crazy really. I know quite a few Americans and have American Facebook friends and every single one of them condemns the man.

How in the flying feck is this happening? I think it just shows how easily people can be manipulated.
It's madness, unfortunately too many people are too easily influenced by bluster and he's taking advantage of anti-establishment feelings.

Sweet Square

I might be way off the mark but isn't Trump the least worst out of all the candidates ? The fact that Trump has at times shown some ''liberal'' ideas is far better than what Rubio and Cruz have shown. Plus I can't see a Trump winning against Clinton(Looks pretty clear she going to win the dem nomination) where I could easily see Rubio beating Hilary(No one likes Cruz's face so there's no need to worry there).

But anyway I've really warmed to the show lately after no being it's biggest fan.

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
Absolutely amazing segment :lol: I went to the site and saw that the red cap is sold-out on the US HBO site tonight; I'd imagine the stock of the blue must be running low also.

Tyrion

I might be way off the mark but isn't Trump the least worst out of all the candidates ? The fact that Trump has at times shown some ''liberal'' ideas is far better than what Rubio and Cruz have shown. Plus I can't see a Trump winning against Clinton(Looks pretty clear she going to win the dem nomination) where I could easily see Rubio beating Hilary(No one likes Cruz's face so there's no need to worry there).

But anyway I've really warmed to the show lately after no being it's biggest fan.
I think the issue is that Trump seems to switch between being 'moderate' to being further to the right than Fox news. I think him doing well is actually a good thing but it's gone on for too long now. He really shouldn't be the best of the Republican party but that's how it seems to be going.

PedroMendez

Acolyte
With Trump it is not only what he says, but how he says it. The likes of Cruz or Rubio (or any other republican candidate) say fairly extreme things all the time. The difference is, that they also try to appear respectable while doing it. They might say extremely racist things, but in a language full of euphemisms and in a way, that they can never really be called out on it. They always have room to talk their way out of their stupidity.
Trump breaks with many social conventions, that other politicians still follow. If he gets called out for something, he doubles down. He doesn´t apologize or backpedal and he uses language, that is explicit. Other candidates might say something like "he is not a strong leader", while Trump suggest, that maybe Bush´s mother should run for president. Him battering Bush over and over again as wimpy, low-energy, mama´s boy was hilarious and he is doing the same with other candidates. He is just bullying them, while they try to defend themselves, while being constraint by their social conventions. What they don´t realize is, that their manners make them look even more like those "detached elitists", that have no contact to reality.

Sweet Square

I think the issue is that Trump seems to switch between being 'moderate' to being further to the right than Fox news. I think him doing well is actually a good thing but it's gone on for too long now. He really shouldn't be the best of the Republican party but that's how it seems to be going.
It just seem at the moment we are all trying to shoot down Godzilla, which is good because well..... it's Godzilla yet forgetting that just around the corner the liquid cyborg from Terminator 2 is in waiting or worse Ted Cruz.

Cina

With Trump it is not only what he says, but how he says it. The likes of Cruz or Rubio (or any other republican candidate) say fairly extreme things all the time. The difference is, that they also try to appear respectable while doing it. They might say extremely racist things, but in a language full of euphemisms and in a way, that they can never really be called out on it. They always have room to talk their way out of their stupidity.
Trump breaks with many social conventions, that other politicians still follow. If he gets called out for something, he doubles down. He doesn´t apologize or backpedal and he uses language, that is explicit. Other candidates might say something like "he is not a strong leader", while Trump suggest, that maybe Bush´s mother should run for president. Him battering Bush over and over again as wimpy, low-energy, mama´s boy was hilarious and he is doing the same with other candidates. He is just bullying them, while they try to defend themselves, while being constraint by their social conventions. What they don´t realize is, that their manners make them look even more like those "detached elitists", that have no contact to reality.
As was said on the show, Cruz & Rubio at least stay firm and consistent in what they say, Drumpf just says whatever the feck he thinks will get the best reaction at the time. it's literally impossible to predict what he's actually going to do in office.

Also, people need to stop calling him Trump.

Tyrion

It just seem at the moment we are all trying to shoot down Godzilla, which is good because well..... it's Godzilla yet forgetting that just around the corner the liquid cyborg from Terminator 2 is in waiting or worse Ted Cruz.
:lol:
True. I'm not American so maybe I'm wrong but Hillary seems like a bad choice too. Which would make the presidential debates basically this:

Lastwolf

That's a bad analogy, Mothra is basically the good guy/girl/Moth in all the stories and Godzilla is just force of nature indifferent to the legislation and concerns of mortal men.

Member 5225

hmm haven't seem the Trump segment, but read an article about it on BBC.
Bit disappointed to be honest; I love John Oliver, but if making fun of his name is a real thing, then umm....not sure who I'm laughing at more!

Member 5225

As was said on the show, Cruz & Rubio at least stay firm and consistent in what they say, Drumpf just says whatever the feck he thinks will get the best reaction at the time. it's literally impossible to predict what he's actually going to do in office.

Also, people need to stop calling him Trump.
rrrrrrrighttttt :houllier:

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
hmm haven't seem the Trump segment, but read an article about it on BBC.
Bit disappointed to be honest; I love John Oliver, but if making fun of his name is a real thing, then umm....not sure who I'm laughing at more!
You should start by watching it.

Member 5225

I think a lot of celebrities too joined in the #makedonalddrumpfagain campaign. Hopefully that helped.

:lol:
That episode was fecking awesome. :lol:
Absolutely amazing segment :lol: I went to the site and saw that the red cap is sold-out on the US HBO site tonight; I'd imagine the stock of the blue must be running low also.
One of my fav segments of Oliver.
Let's make America Drumpf again.
hmm genuinely not impressed. I like a proper insightful witty debate/investigation.
Laughing at his business errors (all top business-men do), his name, etc a bit petty to me IMO.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
hmm genuinely not impressed. I like a proper insightful witty debate/investigation.
Laughing at his business errors (all top business-men do), his name, etc a bit petty to me IMO.
He highlighted the business errors because Drumpf constantly bangs on about how good a business man he is, and the name was because Drumpf had a pop at Jon Stewart for not using his birth name.

He showed him up for what he is, a complete windbag.

Norris

What an episode by Oliver. Absolutely rips into Drumpf. About time too. And that Gold Sharpie comment :drool: .