Lautaro Martinez

Blood Mage

He's a decent but not great striker. Quite inconsistent. Worth getting if it enables us to offload Martial though.

Adamsk7

I mean This story is more than likely bull but these are the sorts of deals we should be attempting - getting players in whilst simultaneously getting rid of some in the same deal. You can’t see many clubs outright buying our misfits but they are the kinds of players you’d go “hmmm” to in a swap plus cash offer

Kaushal

He's a decent but not great striker. Quite inconsistent. Worth getting if it enables us to offload Martial though.
Bang on. Atleast there are few posters here who know what they are talking about.

UpWithRivers

I agree with the first bit. He hasn't seemed to reach the truly elite level. But inconsistent? Hasnt he got around 20 goals in the last 3 seasons?

didz

Lautaro is a good player, but I feel like there are only a handful of teams he'd actually be right for.

He's never had to play up top on his own, as far as I'm aware. He doesn't seem to have the skillset to do so either. So which clubs who play 2 up top can afford him?

Infra-red

Lautaro is a good player, but I feel like there are only a handful of teams he'd actually be right for.

He's never had to play up top on his own, as far as I'm aware. He doesn't seem to have the skillset to do so either. So which clubs who play 2 up top can afford him?
Spurs might go in for him if they make the CL places - would keep Conte happy and show a bit of ambition.

didz

Spurs might go in for him if they make the CL places - would keep Conte happy and show a bit of ambition.
That's a good shout. At both Chelsea and Inter he seemed to want a new striker pretty much every window too, so could definitely see Conte wanting Spurs to invest heavily there.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
That's a good shout. At both Chelsea and Inter he seemed to want a new striker pretty much every window too, so could definitely see Conte wanting Spurs to invest heavily there.
Is he better than Son or Kane though.

And I don't trust a striker who got outperformed by Kukaku.

Last edited:

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
As the poster about pointed out, to add, he never had a top striker already at Chelsea or Inter, which he already does with Spurs in Kane.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Why do rumours about Martinez to Man Utd continue to resurface year after year? Is it just that we scouted him once and so, every summer, the press link him to us? Or is it that our scouts have so little imagination that we keep following the same players, regardless of who's in the dugout?

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
You are not wrong my friend. The caf has a weird fetish for players they haven’t seen that much. Never a prolific striker. Hasn’t got the pace or acceleration to leave defenders. Can’t lead the line on his own. Hasn’t got one attribute that stands out whilst playing for the champions and would cost a ton. Good striker that benefits from playing in Italy with the amount of space and time with low tempo. Immobile looks twice the player playing for lazio. Lukaku was better than him while playing together. Anyone who has watched inter or serie a would know this. Out of all the strikers in Italy I only rate Vlahovic, a top striker , Lautaro is not.
Yep. He gives me Lacazette vibes (maybe a better all round player) — technically sound, works well, but just isn’t fast or strong enough or enough of a bagsman to be that guy.

crossy1686

career ending
If we actually pull this transfer off I don't think Inter will speak to us ever again. They've taken all our castoffs over the last few years but we'd be fecking robbing them on this one.

crossy1686

career ending
Why do rumours about Martinez to Man Utd continue to resurface year after year? Is it just that we scouted him once and so, every summer, the press link him to us? Or is it that our scouts have so little imagination that we keep following the same players, regardless of who's in the dugout?
Probably his agent trying to secure a new deal

didz

So you don't trust anyone with fewer than 73 goal involvements across 2 seasons in Italy? It's a pretty high bar to set. Personally I thought Lukaku did pretty well under Conte.

Like I said, I don't think Lautaro would do well at many places, but I don't think it's fair to say he's crap either. He's certainly good enough to be beef up Spurs' forward options, since I don't think Conte will be happy with just having those two.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag

Martinez is more a second striker playing behind Lukaku. If he plays in 433 then his role is probably likely to be a false 9 like Firmino.

elmo

So you don't trust anyone with fewer than 73 goal involvements across 2 seasons in Italy? It's a pretty high bar to set. Personally I thought Lukaku did pretty well under Conte.

Like I said, I don't think Lautaro would do well at many places, but I don't think it's fair to say he's crap either. He's certainly good enough to be beef up Spurs' forward options, since I don't think Conte will be happy with just having those two.
Problem is I don't think Lukaku is better than either Son/Kane and Spurs are not in a position where they can afford to spend so much on a player who is not better than what they have. They're better off spending money to improve their defense/midfield.

Hell, spending money on an eventual Lloris replacement would be better as well.

didz

Problem is I don't think Lukaku is better than either Son/Kane and Spurs are not in a position where they can afford to spend so much on a player who is not better than what they have. They're better off spending money to improve their defense/midfield.

Hell, spending money on an eventual Lloris replacement would be better as well.
You're right, the budget probably makes it pretty difficult to do that. Can't think of a better place for Lautaro than Inter really. Just weird that he's always linked away from them when he probably won't get a better suited environment anywhere else.

elmo

You're right, the budget probably makes it pretty difficult to do that. Can't think of a better place for Lautaro than Inter really. Just weird that he's always linked away from them when he probably won't get a better suited environment anywhere else.
Inter are skint and he's one of their few players who can bring in big fees.

MrSingh2002

Inter probably want to sign Lukaku again but Martinez wants to play in Spain.

NoPace

Obviously you need depth, but looking at the team today, adding another 2 CBs and at least one wingback but probably 2 should be higher up on his list. I believe that Dane Scarlett kid is their top prospect in a while, too, and a #9.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
I wasn't really sure on him till now but his recent performances has convinced me, he'll be a great striking partnership for anyone, has most of the attributes you would like to in such a player.

I don't think he'll be the right option for us, would need someone to pair him up with first and we already do have martial unless we're planning to get rid of him.

Chief123

Some reports linking us with Martinez as a replacement if we can get rid of Ronaldo in January.

He’d be a dream signing and would be the perfect profile for the system we are playing. Great at pressing, hold up and technique. Would like well with players around him similar to Martial.

mav_9me

Not a realistic target imo but you never know, with Martinez already here and increasing no. of South Americans it may not be that far fetched.