League Cup - 4th round

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
The previous system gave the advantage to the team shooting first, judging by statistics. This is a way of evening it out.
Yeah, I expect it be a lot closer statistically long term, but we won’t know for many years until we have a large sample size.

minoo-utd

Well all respect to Wolves really, playing 120mins away against best attacking side Sane,Aguero, KDB, Sterling,Jesus and not conceded a goal that is a good sign and othe P.L managers should take some notes.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
Because you don't want either team to benefit from a coin toss or have an advantage? ABBA system eliminates the added pressure of always going second and playing catch up.
Yeah in this system the team losing the toss has an advantage cause they can take the lead.

Skills

Snitch
Why are they doing this 2 consecutive penalties shit?
I'm guessing it's to remove the psychological advantage of going first. For example if both teams have scored their first 4 penalties, then the 1st team scores its fifth. The player taking the fifth for the other team is in a sudden death situation which is an unfair disadvantage.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
I don't understand all the whining about the new system. Annoying that City won but that's how tiebreaks in tennis are played and this is as close as it gets to a tiebreak in football.

Vaibhav Kulkarni

Because you don't want either team to benefit from a coin toss or have an advantage? ABBA system eliminates the added pressure of always going second and playing catch up.
But then why go for a coin toss if they believe is a fair system for both sides. It will be a bit confusing for teams and will take time getting used to that I believe

saivet

How's that, though ? I mean put stats aside and judge it yourself ?
If the first team scores, the second team is always playing catch up. In sudden death the guy take the pen first knows even if he misses, they are still in it. Second shooter will have the pressure of score to keep my side in it, or score to win it.

alsabi

LOL. This has all gotten out of hand. The comparison was the first player born within a manager's reign to score for said team. It's Rossi, as Pique didn't score in that game. Pique didn't score for United until the 07/08 UCL.
Yes! There is another stat I'd mention - Federico Macheda first player born after Ryan Giggs' United debut to score for United - and Giggs got the assist! What is it with these records and Italian strikers who went on to mediocrity? :)

el3mel

I don't understand all the whining about the new system. Annoying that City won but that's how they tiebreak in tennis and this is as close as it gets to a tiebreak in football.
I had the same opinion about this system since the Community Shield game.

We'll never understand how this system gives serious advantage to the team going second till we play it ourselves.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Yeah in this system the team losing the toss has an advantage cause they can take the lead.
But then the next team takes 2 penalties so it swings again. So really neither team has the advantage as they always have the chance to level it then take the lead, and so on.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
But then why go for a coin toss if they believe is a fair system for both sides. It will be a bit confusing for teams and will take time getting used to that I believe
Because somebody has to go first so a coin toss is also 50/50 way to determine that. It really isn't that confusing. I know they're footballers but they aren't 4 years old, they can figure out that you shoot twice in a row after the initial shot. What exactly is there to get used to? The players just go up and shoot.

el3mel

If the first team scores, the second team is always playing catch up. In sudden death the guy take the pen first knows even if he misses, they are still in it. Second shooter will have the pressure of score to keep my side in it, or score to win it.
It's not 1 vs 1 only. The team who shoots first can very easily feck up their second penalty and we had seen it many teams before.

Now with this new system, whatever the first team does, the second team will never be under pressure even if they goes behind as they have 2 penalties to get the lead early, then good luck to the first team being under serious pressure latter to compensate.

The pressure under first team in the second system is far more than that on the second team in the first system.

Last edited:

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Yes! There is another stat I'd mention - Federico Macheda first player born after Ryan Giggs' United debut to score for United - and Giggs got the assist! What is it with these records and Italian strikers who went on to mediocrity? :)
Rossi did not go on to mediocrity.

Thunderhead

Supports
City
What an effort by Wolves... Sitting back and defending is one thing but till 120th min they keep attacking on counter.

Fatigued City with West Brom away next for them

Fatigued! 3 days off and most of the first team hardly played

NieThePiet

Supports
Werder Bremen, Arsenal
Now with this new system, whatever the first team does, the second team will never be under pressure even if they goes behind as they have 2 penalties to get the lead early, then good luck to the first team being under serious pressure latter to compensate.
That's wrong. Imagine Wolverhampton would score the first and then City miss two. Wolverhampton could make it 3:0 with the next two penalties.

The new system is not fault that they haven't scored two penalties.

saivet

It's not 1 vs 1 only. The team who shoots first can very easily feck up their second penalty and we had seen it many teams before.

The pressure under first team in the second is far more than that on the second team in the first system.
Under the assumption it's even, then the pressure at least rotates, if both teams score their then each team will lead at some point.

We'll have to see how it goes over enough games though. I think it only becomes interesting when we see the system in action where both teams are scoring.

Would be interested to see the breakdown of team a and team b wins since it's been brought in.

Hansa

How's that, though ? I mean put stats aside and judge it yourself ?
As TMDaines alluded to, the stats over the years have given a clear indication that the first team has an advantage. It will be interesting to see the statistics in a few year's time with this new method.

Paul_Scholes18

Hopeing for a good draw for us as well tomorrow. Think Bournemouth could be a good draw. They might be under more pressure in the league so less focus on the cup. Same with Leicester.

el3mel

That's wrong. Imagine Wolverhampton would score the first and then City miss two. Wolverhampton could make it 3:0 with the next two penalties.

The new system is not fault that they haven't scored two penalties.
Anyone can miss. I'm talking about the pressure perspective for the team going to shoot. Definitely the team going to shoot second will be under no pressure if the first team scores, as they can take the lead quickly. If they missed their first 2 penalties, then they're idiots as they were not under heavy pressure.

el3mel

Under the assumption it's even, then the pressure at least rotates, if both teams score their then each team will lead at some point.

We'll have to see how it goes over enough games though. I think it only becomes interesting when we see the system in action where both teams are scoring.

Would be interested to see the breakdown of team a and team b wins since it's been brought in.
Well fair enough. We may delay our judgement on it till we see more of it, but my impressions since the Community Shield weren't very good and this game came to reinforce it.

Android1974

Incredibly anal about player positions in lineups
Hopeing for a good draw for us as well tomorrow. Think Bournemouth could be a good draw. They might be under more pressure in the league so less focus on the cup. Same with Leicester.
Yeah, the game will come just before playing Arsenal away, so a nice easy home draw would be welcomed.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.

The pressure under first team in the second system is far more than that on the second team in the first system.
Your logic is full of fallacies. Both teams equally face the scenario of scoreboard pressure from being behind if both sides continue to convert perfectly. If Team A scores their initial penalty, then Team B is in the situation that Team A will be in if Team B converts their two. For some reason, you are acting as if there’s no pressure for Team B being down 1-0, but monumental pressure for Team A if they are then down 1-2.

Cristiano Lell

BANNED LOLZ
Supports
Bayern München
We don't need less pressure in penalty shootouts. Pressure is what they are about. This new sequence is just absolutely horrible, and destroying everything that is special about penalty shootouts.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
There is no less pressure. The same percentage of shots will be taken both with the scoreboard level and with one team behind in both systems, if teams score at any given rate. The pressure shots, definded as those taken when behind on the scoreboard, are just spread between the two teams.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Some proper OTT reactions in this thread. Destroying everything that is special about penalty shootouts? Really now.

I am up for spicing up the sport within boundaries such as this change and the video review. The only change I ever really hated was the golden goal nonsense while the silver one was slightly less annoying.

el3mel

Your logic is full of fallacies. Both teams equally face the scenario of scoreboard pressure from being behind if both sides continue to convert perfectly. If Team A scores their initial penalty, then Team B is in the situation that Team A will be in if Team B converts their two. For some reason, you are acting as if there’s no pressure for Team B being down 1-0, but monumental pressure for Team A if they are then down 1-2.
As I said in my last post, any team can miss and I'm sure there'll circumstances in which the first team will win, put from pressure perspective, definitely taking the lead 2-1 early and putting the other team under pressure to equalize. If you miss the penalty after getting down 2-1. I'm pretty sure in most circumstances you'll also miss the second penalty and it'll be all over, happened for both Chelsea in CS and Wolves today. I easily predicted Wolves to miss the third penalty.

You'll never understand this till we're ourselves Team A and tailing 2-1.

Cristiano Lell

BANNED LOLZ
Supports
Bayern München
There is no less pressure. The same percentage of shots will be taken both with the scoreboard level and with one team behind in both systems, if teams score at any given rate. The pressure shots, definded as those taken when behind on the scoreboard, are just spread between the two teams.
That's not it. It's also about the rituals of players having to walk to the spot, GKs having to leave and return, with inevitable progression. This is broken up, and with it much of what creates the special tension of football penatly shootouts.

saivet

As I said in my last post, any team can miss and I'm sure there'll circumstances in which the first team will win, put from pressure perspective, definitely taking the lead 2-1 early and putting the other team under pressure to equalize. If you miss the penalty after getting down 2-1. I'm pretty sure in most circumstances you'll also miss the second penalty and it'll be all over, happened for both Chelsea in CS and Wolves today. I easily predicted Wolves to miss the third penalty.

But why is that so much more pressure than being 3-1 down in the old system? Miss and you're almost certainly out too. Regardless of which approach is used missing two back to back pens is clearly going to reduce your chances of winning massively.

If anything I'd say the new format takes away some of the suspense in a shootout, but like I mentioned above, be interested to see it in a close penalty shoot out. At the moment people complaining about the system whenever a the shootout is shit.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.

But we’re fine when we’re Team B and trailing 1-0? Or are 1-1 after three penalties? Again, your reasoning is full of holes.

Cristiano Lell

BANNED LOLZ
Supports
Bayern München
But we’re fine when we’re Team B and trailing 1-0? Or are 1-1 after three penalties? Again, your reasoning is full of holes.
You're wrong already to mix up the notions of penalty shootouts and 'reasoning'. Are you American?

Manchester Dan

Supports
Man City
Agreed. It’s purely a perception that some view it as less pressure. It’s not. If you miss one of your two the other team could well be 3-1 up before you know it and you’ve got to score your two just to stay in it with a penalty less to go!

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
That's not it. It's also about the rituals of players having to walk to the spot, GKs having to leave and return, with inevitable progression. This is broken up, and with it much of what creates the special tension of football penatly shootouts.
Penalty shootouts aren’t special. They’re just a necessary evil in cup competitions to progress a side, because in football it is so difficult to score compared to other team ball sports. Football does everything it practically can to avoid them, even playing an additional 30 minutes, when it is clear most sides no longer have the physical capabilities in the intense modern game to play anywhere near optimally in extra time.

el3mel

What's the problem in trailing 1-0 if you're having 2 penalties after at the very start of the shootout.

All scenarios will happen, but if we measure the percentage I'm pretty sure we'll find the second team winning moat of times.