Leighton Baines

ciderman9000000

And even if Baines is currently better than Evra the difference is slight. We have a huge gap in midfield that needs filling. Given the choice of watching Evra play for us next season with one or two new midfielders and buying Baines and seeing Park and Giggs used in the middle of the park again it's a no brainer for me.
What a stupid post :lol:

Why would signing Baines mean we can't buy a midfielder?! :wenger:

Bryan_Munich

Aka RichieRich12
And even if Baines is currently better than Evra the difference is slight. We have a huge gap in midfield that needs filling. Given the choice of watching Evra play for us next season with one or two new midfielders and buying Baines and seeing Park and Giggs used in the middle of the park again it's a no brainer for me.
That argument was done to death this time last year, why does it have to be one or the other?

R_Nick explained it perfectly if I remember correctly.

Decotron

And yet we've done alright with Evra all these years.

Baines is a capable defensive left-back with excellent attacking ability; with a talented winger in front of him such as Young or Nani he'd be devastating going forward. Having two excellent crossers of the ball on one wing is something United have missed for a good few seasons now; double up on Nani and he'll just lay it off to Baines who can put just as good a cross into the box.
You seem very sure about his defensive abilities compared to those who watch Baines every week. Obviously we've done "alright" with Evra, I just dont see the point personally, Id still pick Evra over him every week...its not like Evra is off is it? Is he was that would change things.

Hectic

Supports
30fps
See that comes down to whose available and fits the criteria we need Hectic.

I'd imagine we'd have taken Alba in a heartbeat, but he chose Barca.
Exactly, that's why I said it's not realistic. I'd love to have an alba/contrao/marcello type LB, but the problem then comes with availability and of course Fabio in the meantime. That's why I accept this is the next best thing we can do, we lose nothing in the meantime while Fabio develops, and he won't have to be stuck behind someone who has an entire career ahead of him.

Ekeke

Don't be ridiculous, if Leighton Baines were responsible for at least 25 goals last year every club on the planet would be queuing up for his signature and he'd have started every England game.

He's a good, solid, mid-table player. Could he suddenly become much better with better players around him? Possible, but very, very unlikely given his age.

Baines has been consistently similar for certainly 3, if not 4 seasons now, not the trademark of a late bloomer.
How many goals was Valencia responsible for last season? Or Nani?

Baines set up more chances than either.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
You seem very sure about his defensive abilities compared to those who watch Baines every week. Obviously we've done "alright" with Evra, I just dont see the point personally, Id still pick Evra over him every week...its not like Evra is off is it? Is he was that would change things.
Permanent fixture in the 4th tightest defense in the league. Everton conceded less goals than

Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs, Newcastle.

Cina

If the price was £10m would people still think we shouldn't sign him?

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
What a stupid post :lol:

Why would signing Baines mean we can't buy a midfielder?! :wenger:
Because it'd take our Summer spending over £30m and nearly £100m over two seasons, and two midfielders that we realistically need to would probably add another £50m. We don't have an unlimited budget.

Eyepopper

If the price was £10m would people still think we shouldn't sign him?
Thats the thing aswell, people have no idea what the fee would be. 15m might be quoted in the press but that doesn't mean its the figure.

Personally I reckon he's easily worth about 12million, in that I'd be happy to pay that for him.

If Everton aren't desperate to sell and he's not desperate to leave then I can understand how it could go to 15, again taking into account his experience, and the 'being english' inflation factor.

JB7

Because it'd take our Summer spending over £30m and nearly £100m over two seasons, and two midfielders that we realistically need to would probably add another £50m. We don't have an unlimited budget.
Surely, if we have learnt one thing about SAF under the Glazers, it is that he doesn't operate to a 'budget'? He's clearly given money on a player by player basis dependant upon what players he wants to bring in, and if he feels we need a midfielder AND a left back he will be given money to get a midfielder and a left back. I prefer that way of operating to be honest.

Bryan_Munich

Aka RichieRich12
I'd imagine Fergie will have various positions that he wants to strengthen and a list of transfer targets to fill those positions along with an approximate transfer budget for each.

I fail to see how signing a player in one position would prevent him from signing a player in another.

ciderman9000000

We don't need two midfielders.

Sarni

We don't need two midfielders.
We do. A creative midfielder who will replace Scholes and a defensive midfielder to provide competition and a future replacement for Carrick. You can hardly argue with that, we currently have Carrick, Anderson and Cleverley (both injury prone), for Giggs and Scholes it has to be the last season.

Eyepopper

How much did 2 new CB's in Jones and Smalling cost us over the past 2 years?

We also don't know where, how or when Powell will be capable of first team football.

Sarni

Fergie doesn't do 'defensive midfielders'.
A defensive midfielder like Carrick, someone who sits a bit deeper and protects the defence but can also pass, shoot and isn't limited like Makelele. There's no one in our squad capable of replacing Carrick.

Sarni

As he is English people wouldn't want us to sign him for free
Of course, just like people didn't want to sign Jones and Rooney and slagged off Welbeck, Cleverley and Smalling for being English.

kps88

There's no one in our squad capable of replacing Evra either.

Sarni

There's no one in our squad capable of replacing Evra either.
Yeah, because we've just loaned him out. We need a full back but if we're to sign Clyne as we've been supposed to, we'll be fine.

I'd be happy with Baines though if we still buy one or two midfielders. I only disagreed with the opinion that people only don't want him because he's English - it has nothing to do with that.

ciderman9000000

We do. A creative midfielder who will replace Scholes and a defensive midfielder to provide competition and a future replacement for Carrick. You can hardly argue with that, we currently have Carrick, Anderson and Cleverley (both injury prone), for Giggs and Scholes it has to be the last season.
Yeah, you're right, we should only buy £25m midfielders then.

What are the chances of Evra getting injured anyway?!

Sarni

Yeah, you're right, we should only buy £25m midfielders then.

What are the chances of Evra getting injured anyway?!
No but realistically there aren't many cheap midfielders out there in the market. When players like Moutinho and Modric are apparently worth £30m then chances are we will have to dig deep into our pockete to sign a midfielder.

Although there's always a chance we'll pick someone like Sahin for a low price.

Cina

Thats the thing aswell, people have no idea what the fee would be. 15m might be quoted in the press but that doesn't mean its the figure.

Personally I reckon he's easily worth about 12million, in that I'd be happy to pay that for him.

If Everton aren't desperate to sell and he's not desperate to leave then I can understand how it could go to 15, again taking into account his experience, and the 'being english' inflation factor.
Yup.

Proven Premiership players, especially when English cost more than the regular. People should just accept it. Generally we only buy foreign when they're young and we aren't in desperate need to strengthen the position, but left back is a weakness and I'd rather spend the money on Baines who would address these issues for the next few years than buy another Fabio.

Sarni

Fabio isn't capable of replacing Evra. Fabio isn't capable of getting match-fit.
He's easily good enough to be a back-up when fit. Still I don't see Evra as a weak part of our squad, I think he had a decent season and if anything, we might add a back-up for him - someone who won't necessarily cost a fortune. At a lower price than £15m that's been quoted Baines would obviously be fine, unless of course we don't have to care about money in which case even for £15m Baines would be great.

ciderman9000000

No but realistically there aren't many cheap midfielders out there in the market. When players like Moutinho and Modric are apparently worth £30m then chances are we will have to dig deep into our pockete to sign a midfielder.

Although there's always a chance we'll pick someone like Sahin for a low price.
So you'd be happy going into a season with only one left fullback in Evra if we bought two midfielders instead?

Sarni

So you'd be happy going into a season with only one left fullback in Evra if we bought two midfielders instead?
Nope, that'd be silly. Either we buy Clyne or someone else, another full back is a must.

And I repeat that I wouldn't mind Baines if it doesn't affect our other acquisitions. I've only ever disagreed with the notion that people don't rate him very highly because he's English - as a signing he'd be decent.

I don't think we have to replace Evra though, just provide some back-up/competition.

Eyepopper

He's easily good enough to be a back-up when fit. Still I don't see Evra as a weak part of our squad, I think he had a decent season and if anything, we might add a back-up for him - someone who won't necessarily cost a fortune. At a lower price than £15m that's been quoted Baines would obviously be fine, unless of course we don't have to care about money in which case even for £15m Baines would be great.
Fabio is nowhere near ready to deputise for Evra.

Evra also didn't have a very good season, by his standards at least, thats pretty widely accepted, most people pointing to lack of suitable cover causing him to burn out a little.

Sarni

Fabio is nowhere near ready to deputise for Evra.

Evra also didn't have a very good season, by his standards at least, thats pretty widely accepted, most people pointing to lack of suitable cover causing him to burn out a little.
Fabio was very good for us in 2010-11 before he was plagued by injuries again so I'm basing it on that. He's not that long behind Rafael in terms of development.

I agree that Evra didn't have a great season but I think he was better than most people say - that's why I said decent. We need to provide cover/competition for him, I agree.

ciderman9000000

He's never fit so the first sentence there is redundant.

Evra didn't have a decent season at all, he's way past his best and there are no signs that he'll return to form; many of the weaknesses being blamed on Ashley Young last season can in fact be traced back to Evra playing poorly beside him. I'd go as far to say that we might have won the league had Evra been able to pass the ball; he gets into good positions but his vision, decisiveness and crossing ability has been absolutely piss poor for a long time now.

Cina

We paid £14m, rising to £18m for Carrick, in 2006, so probably the equivalent of around £25m now. At the time he wasn't considered to be anything special and everybody thought we overpaid. 6 years on, he hasn't ever been one of the best midfielders in the world, but where the feck would we be now without him?

Brophs

The One and Only
Baines could be a decent signing but if spending that money didn't allow us to invest in a midfielder then I wouldn't be for it. I can see why people wouldn't be keen on this sort of deal: he's a good PL player but is he really going to improve us, say, when compared to the likes of Barca/Real? In that sense he'd be similar to Ashley Young. Obviously you need some of those guys in the squad and they play an important part, but if you have ambitions in terms of the CL and being dominant in the PL, you maybe need a little more quality in places to make it happen. I don't necessarily think Baines is going to make any real difference at that end of things, other than in terms of cover for Evra.

ciderman9000000

Baines is better than Evra is though; Evra would be the cover. Who would you suggest should replace Evra, Brophs? Who would improve us compared to Barca and Madrid?

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
I'm really excited about getting Baines, I hope it happens.