L'Equipe : Zidane wants United job / all spaculation no updates

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
These Zidane rumours are so strange. This looks like a nightmare job right now, tons of work to be done. I cannot for the life of me believe he would be interested in this.
We're playing very poorly but there's still quality in the squad, a lot of talented players nowhere near playing to their potential at the moment. I think we're a far more interesting prospect than we're viewed on here.

Alabaster Codify7

I don't see much changing under a new manager. We've still got way too much dross playing way too many games for us, on too much money to be able to shift 'em.

Zidane or anyone else isn't going to improve our CB's.

Zidane isn't going to change Lingard or Mata into game-changing RWs.

We still need major investment to sort out our team and I've given up on expecting any new signing to be good. They all turn to shite the second they walk through the door.

FutbolFan

Supports
Chelsea
didnt stop him to win some champions league titles did it ? Some smart people say that it doesn't matter what you say but actually which way you say it or how it sounds. I am pretty sure he would get the best out of Pogba, some top top players might wanna come to join him at United too for our comeback. He would need probably just three players to get us challenging. RW, striker, CB and possibly another fullback and I am sure he would be backed...

BTW what's Zizou's record with youngsters/promoting kids? I have a feeling he would play Pereira but promoting kids form the academy at some point?
Good point. Did he use a translator while at Madrid? I thought having played for them, he must have picked up Spanish.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
So they gave him 2 years contract so that next year if it doesn't work they'll get rid without much troubles while getting a top manager if one is available. Basically what I said, no ? :p
It's 3 years with the last years depending on something, iirc Emery had to reach the CL's QF or SF to trigger the last year. Ancelotti a top manager got 2 and a half year, PSG do not give long first contract.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
I hope Zidane stays well clear of your mess and patiently waits for the Juve job.

RORY65

Admittedly I only saw Madrid on the box, and not often, but they looked far easier on the eye than United do right now.
Wasn't that just because they have brilliant players though? I couldn't describe Madrid's style of play or identity under him at all, it just seemed to be that he kept his big names happy and relied on having a better 11 than the other team. It's an appointment that would please a lot on here (loads on here are just obsessed with what people have won, rather than looking at whether managers have improved the players and clubs that they manage, hence I think the likes of Klopp and Pochettino often get underrated) and would please Woodward whose approach to recruitment seems to just be picking people that he's heard of or who are big names but I'm not sure how anything he's achieved is compatible with the job he would have at United and I wouldn't be able to state with any great confidence what type of management or tactics he would utilise with us.

el3mel

It's 3 years with the last years depending on something, iirc Emery had to reach the CL's QF or SF to trigger the last year. Ancelotti a top manager got 2 and a half year, PSG do not give long first contract.
Ok then.

POF

Even after all of these years working with Richard Keys, Andy Gray is still an excellent sensible pundit.

When the next manager doesn't succeed, I look forward to people blaming Jose for that too.

The club owners are satisfied with 4th place and the knockout phase of the CL.

They won't sack Jose until it's mathematically impossible for us to get top four.
What really surprises me is how Jose has failed to take advantage of Van Gaal’s amazing foundations . . . . .

Bowden

If the results continue the way they are, I don't see an issue with getting Zidane in until the end of the season at least. I share a lot of the concerns people have with him and whether or not he can produce with players outside of what he had at Madrid but if the results keep going as they are, what do we have to lose?

He comes in and it carries on the way it is, at least we haven't invested in him as a permanent manager. If on the other hand results start to improve, he will have earned the position.

Nostradamus

Can’t even predict the past
First Klopp wasn't a tier 1 manager, and second, he had left BVB at this time after spending most of the season in relegation zone before finishing 7th iirc.

You're not giving good reasons except things like the prestige and challenge, something that I believe many tier 1 manager won't be fond of in our current state.
:lol: Klopp wasn't tier 1..that is prob the dumbest statement I have read since a long time.

He took over a bankrupt club with no financial resources playing in the midfield and formed a European force beating the big boys left and right and making Bayern desperate and disaffected and scratching their head..a team at their peak and reaching 3 finals in 4 years.

He completely changed the way football was played in Germany and he is also responsible that Bayern needed to operate at the highest level possible to be able to beat his drilled unit. He could have left Dortmund much earlier, as literally everyone was after him, but he is very loyal and gave his all for Dortmund. He decided to take over Liverpool then..another project, where he can build HIS team and putting his stamp on them and you could clearly see from day one the transformation.

You guys always argumenting with that final year, where he was fighting relegation for a short period. I mean who cares? He had already proven everything and how some games went seriously was pretty often comical and bad luck. What counts is, that he turned it around and reached Europe in the end..or that whole Dortmund consider him a living legend and their hero despite that disappointing final year. Since Klopp is gone, Dortmund are really not that special anymore.

Pep and Klopp are the two coaches being responsible for changing the way football was played during the last decade and the two most prominent examples of why the old school football does not work anymore.

..and then you come along saying he wasn't top tier..what a laughable nonsense.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
@carvajal @Vato - are there any credible rumours in Spain that United and Zidane are in touch?

el3mel

:lol: Klopp wasn't tier 1..that is prob the dumbest statement I have read since a long time.

He took over a bankrupt club with no financial resources playing in the midfield and formed a European force beating the big boys left and right and making Bayern desperate and disaffected and scratching their head..a team at their peak and reaching 3 finals in 4 years.

He completely changed the way football was played in Germany and he is also responsible that Bayern needed to operate at the highest level possible to be able to beat his drilled unit. He could have left Dortmund much earlier, as literally everyone was after him, but he is very loyal and gave his all for Dortmund. He decided to take over Liverpool then..another project, where he can build HIS team and putting his stamp on them and you could clearly see from day one the transformation.

You guys always argumenting with that final year, where he was fighting relegation for a short period. I mean who cares? He had already proven everything and how some games went seriously was pretty often comical and bad luck. What counts is, that he turned it around and reached Europe in the end..or that whole Dortmund consider him a living legend and their hero despite that disappointing final year. Since Klopp is gone, Dortmund are really not that special anymore.

Pep and Klopp are the two coaches being responsible for changing the way football was played during the last decade and the two most prominent examples of why the old school football does not work anymore.

..and then you come along saying he wasn't top tier..what a laughable nonsense.
I never knew that not being tier 1 means immediately you're a shite one, like all the tier 2 are crap or something. Just a long and pointless post telling me everything I already knew about his time at BVB.

He's and was a great manager, but I can't classify him in the same pot as Pep when it comes to achievements. I don't think anyone can actually.

TheFlagStaysDown

Supports
Shamrock rovers
If the results continue the way they are, I don't see an issue with getting Zidane in until the end of the season at least. I share a lot of the concerns people have with him and whether or not he can produce with players outside of what he had at Madrid but if the results keep going as they are, what do we have to lose?

He comes in and it carries on the way it is, at least we haven't invested in him as a permanent manager. If on the other hand results start to improve, he will have earned the position.
Zidane wouldn’t come here till the end of the season, he’s more manager who would get 3tears contract and fully backed

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
I'd like to get my thoughts from Real Madrid fans on here about Zidane and his style of football @Vato @carvajal
It was a very flexible team, I remember them closing spaces very well, finishing on the counter and depending on whether they play at home or not, more focused in the attack. In the finals and important games the midfield gradually controlled the game.
In Madrid he found the need to play with Bale, which caused an obligatory 4-3-3.There were too many "mediapuntas",#10's and the team was a little bit unbalanced.
Many crosses,perhaps provoked for the lack of right profiles in the team (Kovacic wasn't good enough)
I think he would play 4-3-3(I read a long time ago that he is very influenced by France 1998,with 3 strong midfielders) if the midfield is able to hold the team, and if not a 442 / 4-1-4-1 or something similar.
It's said that from Italy he learned the physical part of training. In fact, one of the first things he did was sign Pintus, the physical trainer he had in Juve (who continues in Madrid).
Without the club telling him to play Bale, without the press asking for Spaniards and granting him more in the transfer market, I think he would opt for a slightly more rocky team.
Among his requests in the market were Hazard as everyone knows, Alaba praised for his versatility, Kanté or Mané, for who it was said he had a principle of agreement.

TheFlagStaysDown

Supports
Shamrock rovers
Think we should take time to make the appointment but we shouldnt waste time sacking mou, in other words gove it to mcKenna and Carrick both combination of personality and tactics while United way. We have one season to make the roght appointment but unfortunately i can see us giving mourinho more time here.

Btw how about some caretaker like di matteo?

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
@carvajal @Vato - are there any credible rumours in Spain that United and Zidane are in touch?
Almost all are references to English articles. Marca / As have no problems about naming the sun, express or whatever it takes.
Inda said that there were talks and that the salary would be similar to Mourinho's, but he didn't talk about his willingness to accept or not the offer

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
What I can tell you is that he gets his selections and subs spot on most of the time. No idea about formations and such as I have no clue about any of that.
How was he with playing youth/younger players?

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Just had a look myself. There's nothing as far as I can see. They're just quoting the English media as far as i can see.

Edit: sorry just saw their replies!
No worries. Thanks mate.

I was just wondering as I don't find our press people reliable.

Ahsan_6386

The under rating of Zidane's tactics and achievements here is shocking . Seriously the guy won 3 champions league in 2 and a half seasons along with winning one league title . Agreed he had a great squad but so did Rafa Benitez and guess who much he mismanaged them .

The point of appointing Zidane is not only for tactical reasons but for team motivation reasons . Our dressing room is totally divided and toxic as of this moment . Getting Zidane helps easing the environment of our dressing room since he will be respected from the start as he is probably the idol of every young player playing today . Along with respect he has excellent man management which will only help control the egos in the team . Tactically he might not be the best but he is not average as most posters here believe . He is a good tactician who makes sensible changes during matches which are mostly positive . I do believe he will make interesting choices with our squad and I look forward to his managerial tenure if he is appointed .

Vato

Watches other men wank.Supports Real.Coincidence?
Supports
Real Madrid
How was he with playing youth/younger players?
I think it was him who gave Lucas Vazquez his break and signed Theo Hernandez? So yeah, better let your scouts do their jobs. :lol:

Edit - He also signed Ceballos which I'm a bit on the fence about.

JohnnyKills

I'm not sure Zidane will be a great option for the long-term but he must be better than Mourinho.

It feels like we've got the wrong manager for the squad, much like Benítez at RM. We've brought in Galáctico players and then installed a disciplinarian manager to oversee them all. Hardly surprising it isn't working.

Hopefully Zidane would be a bit more in time with the players, just as he was at RM.

Amir

We still need major investment to sort out our team and I've given up on expecting any new signing to be good. They all turn to shite the second they walk through the door.
Maybe we should close the club down...

A good manager can do a whole of of change. Heck, a decent manager who won't cause damage would make a whole lot of change.

FutbolFan

Supports
Chelsea
Dude is fluent in Spanish
Thanks then my original point stands. I havent seen managers who dont speak the language well succeeding. Although heard he has started taking lessons so hopefully he catches up. To me it does matter.

Wayne's World

What I can tell you is that he gets his selections and subs spot on most of the time. No idea about formations and such as I have no clue about any of that.
It was a very flexible team, I remember them closing spaces very well, finishing on the counter and depending on whether they play at home or not, more focused in the attack. In the finals and important games the midfield gradually controlled the game.
In Madrid he found the need to play with Bale, which caused an obligatory 4-3-3.There were too many "mediapuntas",#10's and the team was a little bit unbalanced.
Many crosses,perhaps provoked for the lack of right profiles in the team (Kovacic wasn't good enough)
I think he would play 4-3-3(I read a long time ago that he is very influenced by France 1998,with 3 strong midfielders) if the midfield is able to hold the team, and if not a 442 / 4-1-4-1 or something similar.
It's said that from Italy he learned the physical part of training. In fact, one of the first things he did was sign Pintus, the physical trainer he had in Juve (who continues in Madrid).
Without the club telling him to play Bale, without the press asking for Spaniards and granting him more in the transfer market, I think he would opt for a slightly more rocky team.
Among his requests in the market were Hazard as everyone knows, Alaba praised for his versatility, Kanté or Mané, for who it was said he had a principle of agreement.
Thanks for the output lads. Does seem like he would be well able for the job which is a bit stupid of me to question since he's won a treble of Champions League's. I was always impressed with his game management at Madrid even though he gets next to no credit for here. He changed systems quite frequently during games at Madrid but always seemed to do it at the correct moment in matches.

Look, I know he had a brilliant squad of players at Madrid and arguably had the best player in the world during that time so If he was to come here, I wouldn't instantly expect results. I want him to come in, motivate the players he has here and do the best and then next summer, get the board to get the players he wants for the system(s) he wants to play to make us successful again. I'd give him all the time and resources he wants for him to achieve that so it's up to the board to want to do the same

Kapardin

Club deny contact with Zizou.
Can Ed just stop briefing for once? Getting twitchy fingers like Donald Trump.

Anyway, if United contacted Zidane through intermediaries, of course they can deny contacting him directly. Either way, BeIN aren't reliable, but it could have been a leak from Zidane's camp to stir up interest.

el3mel

Club deny contact with Zizou.
I think they already approached him, but are just playing the same crap game they played with LVG. Instead of sacking the current manager immediately and get someone in, they'll keep supporting the manager in public while doing everything with their negotiation with another manager, wasting a full season.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Can Ed just stop briefing for once? Getting twitchy fingers like Donald Trump.

Anyway, if United contacted Zidane through intermediaries, of course they can deny contacting him directly. Either way, BeIN aren't reliable, but it could have been a leak from Zidane's camp to stir up interest.
Why it doesn't mean much. Clubs usually don't make direct contact.