Leroy Sane watch | Feb 2020: Returning to fitness with City's U23s

NoLogo

Knee jerk reaction because he doesn't play for United? He's young, learning and is a very good prospect!
Have you watched this space? Knee jerking about our own players is all we do here. Mkhi and Pogba are a flops already and Ibrahimovic is past it. You don't have to play for the opposition team to be written off after just a handful of games or even just one, wearing a red shirt you'll totally get the same treatment.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Knee jerk reaction because he doesn't play for United? He's young, learning and is a very good prospect!
i would say the United's reaction to Sane has been more measured.
Personally, I think hes a great talent. And also, hes just getting back form injury.

padr81

Supports
Man City
He's been poorish so far but what is frustrating is he won't move the ball, he constantly takes too much out of it and gives away possesion. Might be a case of a young lad trying too hard to do well. Not sure but thats been whats frustrated me most with him. May need a full season to adapt, hopefully the fans don't get on his back. Sterling is proof that a player can come good.

Lyricist

He cost them north of 50m didnt he? Id at least expect a goal or two by now, didnt take Martial that long when we got him for less (38m) so why dont we analyze him the same way? not sure why its one rule for United and another for City.

He could waddle on the pitch with his shorts around his ankles and shit in the centre circle and some people would say "HE LOOKS AMAZING WAIT 2 MORE GAMES AND HELL BE RIPPING THE LEAGUE APART"- Non-sense. He looks poor and way behind the curb in terms of explosive pace and unpredictable play (two things young raw talents in the league usually offer) for 50m, Id expect more, I thought he was a natural replacement for Navas but seems to offer alot less.

They seem to be hanging their hats on Gabriel, who will come in and probably offer more.
According to Transfermarkt they cost the exact same. Martial can play CF as well though so that's bound to make a difference. That said obviously Sané hasn't been great yet whereas Martial had a brilliant first season. But as others have said, he's only 20 as well so lets see what he can offer in the future.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Nope. Kneejerk reaction because people love kneejerking. Our own players get written off after a handful of games.

cyberman

He's been poorish so far but what is frustrating is he won't move the ball, he constantly takes too much out of it and gives away possesion. Might be a case of a young lad trying too hard to do well. Not sure but thats been whats frustrated me most with him. May need a full season to adapt, hopefully the fans don't get on his back. Sterling is proof that a player can come good.
Sterling has come good?

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
Nope. Kneejerk reaction because people love kneejerking. Our own players get written off after a handful of games.
Who is writing him off? The only thing that people said he's been poor so far / he was atrocious yesterday, there's nothing more to it. Absolutely no one is kneejerking or saying he wont come good/ is overrated or anything like that.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Not sure about that either. He's starting to look pretty toothless again to me.
Pep has at least managed to make him effective with his pace against the shit teams. put him against decent defences and he'll look brainless like last season.

fcbforever

Supports
FC Bayern München
Should have never gone to City. Such a dumb move. Guardiola's track record of developing youth has been pretty poor since his first two seasons at Barcelona, at this point it is really just a myth.

M Bison

Supports
York City
Was anonymous last night but looks a decent player and I think he'll do well for city. I've watched him a couple of times and he's definitely got quality, absolutely shouldn't be compared to Depay!

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Play him on the right, cutting in like Robben and he will play better. Most teams as well given citys/peps style of play just sit back, therefore its harder to find space. You might have nine men in and around the box. Thats impossible to overcome.

2ndTouch

Supports
Bayern München
Should have never gone to City. Such a dumb move. Guardiola's track record of developing youth has been pretty poor since his first two seasons at Barcelona, at this point it is really just a myth.
Yeah, considering how awful he handled Kimmich. Oh wait...

Womp

idiot
Yeah, considering how awful he handled Kimmich. Oh wait...
Did you seriously use one example as a way to discount his claim? One player in 3 years at Bayern? As a counter-measure I could also say that he handled Gotze who was one of the brightest prospects in football terribly.

Same could be said for his time at City tbf. Buying Sane and Nolito, basically pushing Sane further down the pecking order. Not to add GBJ who is also coming soon.

The BlackGaijin

When it comes to young players, it seems for most people it’s a matter of blind loyalty with little objectivity. You decide you like a young player and from there on you never see their weaknesses. On the café its normally specific youngsters.

People decide that these players are the next big thing and if we suggest otherwise the loyal fans aggressively jump to their defense. Here are a few examples.

Verrati: He is the Holy Grail. If you dare suggest that maybe he is not there yet. The caf will crucify you.

Coman: I won’t even say anything because I can feel the pitch forks being brandished. Let’s just say I am not impressed.

Sanchez: Maybe LVG knew what he was doing.Maybe not.

Sane: He clearly has talent but he is very overrated. His dribbling is not as good as some believe it is. He is young but still his decision making is surprisingly poor. He might turn to be a good player but not world class.

thepolice123

Wanted to point that out the other day at the Stones thread. Geniune question here: Are there any youths which he has successfully developed apart from the La Masia players? Off the top of my head, Shaqiri, Gotze, Affellay are some of the high profile wonderflops. Coman and Kimmich looks set to be world class players but it's still a little too early to tell at this stage.

Jaybomb

Glad we didn't sign him. Overhyped cause he's young, therefore he MUST be one for the future and worth 40 million.

Hate this mentality to be honest.

2ndTouch

Supports
Bayern München
You mean the few games he gave him as centerback when he had zero alternatives left? Come on.
Sure, because every coach would have had the balls to put him on the map as a CB in a CL knockout vs Juve, and keep him playing despite his non-flawless performance. The "few" games equate to 2427 mins overall last season.
Kimmich wouldn't be where is today without Guardiola, even if you refuse to admit it.

Wanted to point that out the other day at the Stones thread. Geniune question here: Are there any youths which he has successfully developed apart from the La Masia players? Off the top of my head, Shaqiri, Gotze, Affellay are some of the high profile wonderflops. Coman and Kimmich looks set to be world class players but it's still a little too early to tell at this stage.
Putting Götze into a bracket with Affellay? Hilarious.

Glad we didn't sign him. Overhyped cause he's young, therefore he MUST be one for the future and worth 40 million.

Hate this mentality to be honest.
City overpayed on Sane, because otherwise he would have ended up with us a year later. Nevertheless he is a very talented player, and there aren't many true wingers with his potential. He just entered his 2nd season as a professional footballer, it should be a no-brainer that he still needs time, and can't be expected to perform at max level on a consistent basis.
Some people love to write off talents very quickly when they aren't playing for their own team. Makes it easier to cope with the loss.

2ndTouch

Supports
Bayern München
Did you seriously use one example as a way to discount his claim? One player in 3 years at Bayern? As a counter-measure I could also say that he handled Gotze who was one of the brightest prospects in football terribly.
The only young players worth of notice, as in good enough for BM, in these 3 years available to Guardiola were Kimmich and Coman. Both performed really well under him. Götze played plenty under Guardiola. He suffered from the extreme expectations ppl put into him, and from a certain lack of positional flexibility. He's a #10, but Guardiola's system doesn't know a #10.
Löw has similar issues with him in the NT, but we have no Lewa there, so he gets to play as a false 9 more often out of lack of better alternatives.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Sterling has come good?
Of course he has. Even in our poor recent games he's been our best attacker. Can't kick a ball for shite but he's certainly carrying a huge threat and always involved. Will he keep it up? I dunno.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
What? Shaqiri and Afellay aren't top club quality. The latter especially joined Barca when he was 25 and is injured every other week.
Guardiola did a lot for Kimmich, trusting him as a CB probably was HUGE for the kid, probably saved him one or two seasons of needing to prove himself.
He also got a lot of mileage out of Coman who is a bit overrated imho and still waiting for his first goal or assist this season.
Most people in Germany probably didn't even know Bernat before Bayern signed him, he then went on and barely missed a minute in his first season.
He put Hojbjerg on the map.
Weiser was looking like young winger who was going to waste his talent and I think it was already clear at the time that Bayern were going to let him go at the end of the season, then Pep decided to use him as a R(W)B and he's been doing pretty well on that position ever since (at Hertha now).

For whatever reason you like, things obviously didn't work out with Götze, but I think it's ridiculous to say that Guardiola is bad at dealing with young players.

MartialsBeard

Ironic that Pep master of the youth academy cant get his current players playing and people are saying they need to BUY more players,

cyberman

Of course he has. Even in our poor recent games he's been our best attacker. Can't kick a ball for shite but he's certainly carrying a huge threat and always involved. Will he keep it up? I dunno.
A decent run of games isn't 'Coming good' though.

Zoo

If he was a United player the press would be going into overdrive about his start in the Premier League. But because it's City it goes under the radar.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
If he was a United player the press would be going into overdrive about his start in the Premier League. But because it's City it goes under the radar.
I think it's common knowledge that United is more interesting for the press than City.