Leroy Sane watch | Feb 2020: Returning to fitness with City's U23s

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city
For the money they are paying can't really say he looks anywhere near the price. Is he really better or can be better than what they already have?
He's 19/20 so nobody has any idea how he'll turn out. Many good judges think he has excellent potential and that's what we're betting on.
Pep likes 2 wide forwards in the team mostly, so within 2 years probably Navas will be gone, Nolito will be more of a squad player, Sterling may be moved inside so with injuries and around 60 games per season to factor in there will be adequate opportunities for him if he delivers the goods.

simi

Supports
Schalke 04
Oh, I rate him, his potential is immense, but this move is way too soon for him. The lad has basically one season as starter under his belt and his form curve looked more like a roller coaster than a clear line or curve. IMO this move has great potential to backfire for him quite badly.
I am not so convinced that this move comes too soon for him, it might just be the perfect timing. I don't know how much good another season at Schalke would have done him. I believe it will be better for his development, to get out of his comfort zone, play with the likes of Aguero, Silva and De Bruyne and train under a perfectionist like Guardiola. I think Sane will relish this opportunity and be eager to impress his new coach and teammates, rather than being overawed by the occasion. He is clearly determined to be great, but at times last season he already showed signs of being overconfident.

Making the move now, he gets the chance to be there from the get go of Guardiolas City regime. Guardiola clearly rates him and handled a similar situation, with Coman at Bayern last year, extremely well. City will be playing a ton of games next season and none of their wingers is undroppable, so Sane should be getting enough playing time as well.

Reactions: sizzling sausages

as-95

Hopefully the German Sterling. Fast but brainless and ineffective.

Gentleman Jim

Supports
city
It really isn't. He was a player who was touted to be a future great and he did go through City, only to be forgotten. Don't see how you got City being the reason anywhere from that statement.
Rodwell was already somewhat damaged goods when we signed him due to his fragility causing him to have a stop/start time at Everton.
May be wrong but I seem to remember United put an offer of around 20m in for him a couple of years prior to him joining City but after that time the injuries got a grip and his value slumped.
Everton were happy to get 12m for him as it already looked unlikely that he'd reach the expectations once held for him.
The injuries continued at City and Sunderland and he's now a nearly man.
Pity as he seems a nice lad.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Rodwell was already pretty much doomed before the move to City due to the constant injuries. I agree with Jim above. Even if he didn't move to City he would most likely have ended up where he is now.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
Rodwell was already pretty much doomed before the move to City due to the constant injuries. I agree with Jim above. Even if he didn't move to City he would most likely have ended up where he is now.
Yep. He wasn't even starting regularly for Everton by the time he signed for City and Mancini actually gave him a decent chance, whenever he was fit more often than not he started, even in big games such as against Chelsea. Simply put he suffered a combination of constant injury problems but more importantly just not being good enough. Pellegrini never really considered him, and judging by his performances at Sunderland he was totally right to.

Anyway, back to Sane, I'm happy he's finally signed, a definite improvement on Navas who looks like he could be on his way back to Sevilla. Hopefully Stones can follow in the next few days.

prarek

Don't know much about him but from highlights im impressed.

Walters_19_MuFc

Still very raw. With Sterling already at the club, I'm surprised Pep didn't go for someone with a bit more experience. Yes, he has Nolito, but again, he has no experience in the EPL, and it's a bit of a gamble going into the season with Sterling, Sane, Nolito and Navas. None of those are really world class players, who would strike fear into me. Certainly not yet anyway. Think someone like Mahrez would have been better.

Gentleman Jim

Supports
city
Still very raw. With Sterling already at the club, I'm surprised Pep didn't go for someone with a bit more experience. Yes, he has Nolito, but again, he has no experience in the EPL, and it's a bit of a gamble going into the season with Sterling, Sane, Nolito and Navas. None of those are really world class players, who would strike fear into me. Certainly not yet anyway. Think someone like Mahrez would have been better.
Think you'll hear journos going on about fluidity and flexibility a lot this season.
The players you mentioned plus Silva, KdB, Nasri et al. will be switching around positions and formations sometimes sometimes several times in a game.

rollingstoned1

He's left me underwhelmed so far, haven't been able to tell what kind of player he is at all.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Still early days, give him some time to settle in before evaluating him.

Enigma_87

You know who
He's a good player and a talent. No match practice whatsoever so bit unfair to judge him on one game, especially with City resting some of their first teamers.

VanGaalEra

He's a good player and a talent. No match practice whatsoever so bit unfair to judge him on one game, especially with City resting some of their first teamers.
He made his debut against us on the 10th, been disappointed ever since.

Jed I. Knight

The Mos Eisley Hillbilly
Only 20 years old, and in a new league, and it looks like it will take him a while to settle in a new league and country before he gets going. I'm quite thankful, to be honest, as I've got a feeling he'll turn in to a class player!

whatagoodname

Supports
Liverpool
kid's 20 and played 6 games. I think he's actually shown some nice glimpses.

From memory most were laughing off firmino.. Think sane will be class.

Enigma_87

You know who
He made his debut against us on the 10th, been disappointed ever since.
Yeah, I meant yesterdays game where he wasn't good at all. Ever since his debut he hasn't been given much time and only played couple of games.

Robertd0803

Think this move was too soon for him. Didn't even register he was playing last night until he came off.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
True.

Some people are too quick to write off players due to their own ingrained biases. Same thing happened with Ozil.
I don't see anyone writing him off. All people have said is that he's been shit so far and there's little doubt about that, is there?

VanGaalEra

True.

Some people are too quick to write off players due to their own ingrained biases. Same thing happened with Ozil.
No writing off, is a player that's exciting and wanted to watch. He's disappointed so far.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
kid's 20 and played 6 games. I think he's actually shown some nice glimpses.

From memory most were laughing off firmino.. Think sane will be class.
I was among the Firmino supporters, he wasn't what we needed but he is a good player. Sané is also a good prospect and is closer to what we need but he is young and learnin'.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
He was poor yesterday but it's hard to judge a player his age from a handful of games. He was very good against Everton and our best player against Southampton. My initial feeling is he'll need a couple of seasons before he becomes an important player for us and in the meantime will be an inconsistent but useful option for us on the wings, especially off the bench.

cyberman

City fans must be looking at Nasri's performances for Sevilla and start to wonder...

dichinero

Knee jerk reaction because he doesn't play for United? He's young, learning and is a very good prospect!

Gerald G

He's only 20, new league, new culture etc. He's a very good talent and I think he will eventually be top class, unfortunately.

Robbie Boy

He was poor yesterday but it's hard to judge a player his age from a handful of games. He was very good against Everton and our best player against Southampton. My initial feeling is he'll need a couple of seasons before he becomes an important player for us and in the meantime will be an inconsistent but useful option for us on the wings, especially off the bench.
Sounds like a fair assessment and would apply to most youngsters coming from different leagues.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Sounds like a fair assessment and would apply to most youngsters coming from different leagues.
Unless it's Pogba or someone else who came to United, they need to make immediate impact and be amazing from day one.

Robbie Boy

Unless it's Pogba or someone else who came to United, they need to make immediate impact and be amazing from day one.
Yup, the expectations for players to hit the ground running instantly is absolutely ridiculous. Obviously players need time to bed into new teams, new teammates, new systems, new management / coaching methods, new league etc. But for some reason, all mitigating factors are overlooked and players are written off after a couple of months if they don't have an instantaneous impact.

MartialsBeard

He cost them north of 50m didnt he? Id at least expect a goal or two by now, didnt take Martial that long when we got him for less (38m) so why dont we analyze him the same way? not sure why its one rule for United and another for City.

He could waddle on the pitch with his shorts around his ankles and shit in the centre circle and some people would say "HE LOOKS AMAZING WAIT 2 MORE GAMES AND HELL BE RIPPING THE LEAGUE APART"- Non-sense. He looks poor and way behind the curb in terms of explosive pace and unpredictable play (two things young raw talents in the league usually offer) for 50m, Id expect more, I thought he was a natural replacement for Navas but seems to offer alot less.

They seem to be hanging their hats on Gabriel, who will come in and probably offer more.

VanGaalEra

Knee jerk reaction because he doesn't play for United? He's young, learning and is a very good prospect!
Reaction would be much worse if he played for United, remember how much Martial was criticised for his transfer fee and built up all ready for the fall?

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
I think he'll come good, I've always rated him as a very good young talent. Before any Mkhitaryan rumours he was my choice to sign for out right side.