Let’s sign Gareth Bale

StrettyEnder07

On paper. He wouldn't stop our attack looking collectively clueless, unless he's got untapped coaching potential.

Have a look above mate, "he is washed up", "no longer got the ability, would not improve us" absolutely shocking opinions, he is head and shoulders above anything we have at the moment.

Not saying he will improve the players around him so coaching ability is irrelevant, not sure why that has been brought up?

As have said a few times, don't want him permanently, don't want to pay 600k a week for him. I have said that a loan deal even for a year, paying 300k of his wages (a lot of our fans are demanding Rashford be given this, for what? That we should have bowed down to Herrera and given him this?), but we should not given it to a proven world class RW, a position that we currently have Mata and fecking Lingard occupying, and people are telling me this would not be a mega upgrade?

Come on man!

If we can get a loan deal for a year and half his wages, spot on, it will free up funds for other areas, hopefully once back in top 4 come next summer we can go all out for Sancho who looks like he is staying at Dortmund next season.

If Madrid want us to pay 60-80M for Bale and 600k, tell them to do one.

Not sure what is so hard to understand here?

StrettyEnder07

Try that again haha

Have a look above mate, "he is washed up", "no longer got the ability, would not improve us" absolutely shocking opinions, he is head and shoulders above anything we have at the moment.

Not saying he will improve the players around him so coaching ability is irrelevant, not sure why that has been brought up?

As have said a few times, don't want him permanently, don't want to pay 600k a week for him. I have said that a loan deal even for a year, paying 300k of his wages (a lot of our fans are demanding Rashford be given this, for what? That we should have bowed down to Herrera and given him this?), but we should not given it to a proven world class RW, a position that we currently have Mata and fecking Lingard occupying, and people are telling me this would not be a mega upgrade?

Come on man!

If we can get a loan deal for a year and half his wages, spot on, it will free up funds for other areas, hopefully once back in top 4 come next summer we can go all out for Sancho who looks like he is staying at Dortmund next season.

If Madrid want us to pay 60-80M for Bale and 600k, tell them to do one.

Not sure what is so hard to understand here?

Hawks2008

Washed up 12 months after winning his club the Champions League haha, imagine being washed up at 29, poor lad!
Yes and this season he has delivered 8 league goals, less than Lukaku, Martial, or Rashford did for us this season. In a season when he was meant to be out of Ronaldo's shadow and become the star of the team. He is injury prone, his athleticism is fading, and his levels have dropped in the past 2 seasons regardless of two goals vs a shambolic Karius. It's just not worth it, this isn't 2013 anymore.

Flytan

Yes and this season he has delivered 8 league goals, less than Lukaku, Martial, or Rashford did for us this season. In a season when he was meant to be out of Ronaldo's shadow and become the star of the team. He is injury prone, his athleticism is fading, and his levels have dropped in the past 2 seasons regardless of two goals vs a shambolic Karius. It's just not worth it, this isn't 2013 anymore.
And he'd still be better than anything we have on the right side of the field. So unless we're paying a shit ton of money and it forces us to not buy a CB I don't really see the issue.

Hawks2008

And he'd still be better than anything we have on the right side of the field. So unless we're paying a shit ton of money and it forces us to not buy a CB I don't really see the issue.
So a player who scored LESS than our current forwards (who we all agree have been poor) is better than them? His reputation far exceeds his current level.

Red_toad

I’d be all for signing him on loan, if Real paid his entire wage and it cost United less than 6 million per year of the loan. But won’t happen and he’s more than happy where he is playing golf for the next few years earning his 600k a week (good work if you can find it). He’s in a very strong bargaining position with Real, they really don’t like it :lol:

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
In some ways I would like to see him stick to his guns and trouser the cash doing nothing. I think we all know that won't happen though.

StrettyEnder07

So assuming Champions League goals don't count no? assuming you're only including league goals to help with your argument that our current forwards are better than Bale? Lets have a look at the actual stats and not ones that just help your argument shall we:

UCL/League
Bale: 26 games 11 goals 5 assists in his worst season probably ever.
Rashford: 34 games 12 goals 6 assists
Martial: 24 games 11 goals 2 assists
Lukaku 28 games 14 goals 1 assist

Lets not forget that Rashford has spent half the season if not more playing as a No 9 and Lukaku is a No 9.

Safe to say your argument on stats pretty much falls on its arse lad.

He has been injury prone yeah although only missed 1 game since the end of Jan due to injury but has been in the past.

Not bad for a past it RW, compare them to our current RW's and yeah, he would not be an upgrade in the slightest.

DRM

I think a lot of people remember Bale from what they saw of him when he was in the premiership, i.e a strong, powerful winger, always taking his man on and scoring some great goals. The few times they've seen him at Madrid has usually been highlights of his special moments or scoring goals in the CL final.

I've watched a lot of bale over the past 2/3 years (the few times he's played ofcourse) and let me tel you, he is no longer that marauding player we have etched in our memories. He likes to play upfront now, he's really static (I mean he makes Martials movement look like chicharito). He mostly just stands there waiting for the ball to come to his feet. Imagine a slow, static, injury-prone player leading the line in this shite United team?! Makes me shudder.

STAY CLEAR!!!!

DesiAce83

I’d be all for signing him on loan, if Real paid his entire wage and it cost United less than 6 million per year of the loan. But won’t happen and he’s more than happy where he is playing golf for the next few years earning his 600k a week (good work if you can find it). He’s in a very strong bargaining position with Real, they really don’t like it :lol:
We should utilise the loan system a bit more, there are a fair number of talented people who seem on the outer that would be keen. Thinking of Malcolm at Barca, Bale etc. Only costs us wages which we seem to pay loads of to shite players anyway

Michael T

No, no, no. Five years too late. Spend The money on someone who still has a career in front of them. This guy will be a mega expensive bench-warmer for any team in the Premier League silly enough to sign him.

Hawks2008

So assuming Champions League goals don't count no? assuming you're only including league goals to help with your argument that our current forwards are better than Bale? Lets have a look at the actual stats and not ones that just help your argument shall we:

UCL/League
Bale: 26 games 11 goals 5 assists in his worst season probably ever.
Rashford: 34 games 12 goals 6 assists
Martial: 24 games 11 goals 2 assists
Lukaku 28 games 14 goals 1 assist

Lets not forget that Rashford has spent half the season if not more playing as a No 9 and Lukaku is a No 9.

Safe to say your argument on stats pretty much falls on its arse lad.

He has been injury prone yeah although only missed 1 game since the end of Jan due to injury but has been in the past.

Not bad for a past it RW, compare them to our current RW's and yeah, he would not be an upgrade in the slightest.
So he could not outscore our mediocre forwards, and this is the guy we need? He played 29 games in the league alone so not sure where the 26 comes from.

In your words he is coming off "his worst season probably ever" and you want to sign him? A player who has rejected us in the past and Madrid are actively seeking to sell? If we are to be a pressing team he is not got it in him to run for 90 minutes any more and if you've seen him at Madrid the last 2 seasons you would see it. Why will he bounce back now with his fitness issues and degrading athleticism in a more physically demanding league? This is the kind of signing we slate Woodward for, getting in the big names who don't fit.

I think a lot of people remember Bale from what they saw of him when he was in the premiership, i.e a strong, powerful winger, always taking his man on and scoring some great goals. The few times they've seen him at Madrid has usually been highlights of his special moments or scoring goals in the CL final.

I've watched a lot of bale over the past 2/3 years (the few times he's played ofcourse) and let me tel you, he is no longer that marauding player we have etched in our memories. He likes to play upfront now, he's really static (I mean he makes Martials movement look like chicharito). He mostly just stands there waiting for the ball to come to his feet. Imagine a slow, static, injury-prone player leading the line in this shite United team?! Makes me shudder.

STAY CLEAR!!!!
This. Sums up exactly why I feel we should not be in for him, and why I said his reputation exceeds his current level.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Loan with real madrid paying most of his wages and a fixed price option to buy at the end then perhaps if we cant get sancho this year he would be worth a punt...

sadly he is one of woodys galacticos so no doubt he will splaff a fortune on the deal give him the no 7 shirt and a pay rise

The more i think about it the more likley I think it is that he leaves real... and if he does he comes back to the premier league... spurs wont pay those wages, arsenal wont go for him due to wages and ex spurs, Chelsea probably have a transfer ban and he probably wouldnt even get in the teams at city or liverpool... so yeah probably united

StrettyEnder07

So he could not outscore our mediocre forwards, and this is the guy we need? He played 29 games in the league alone so not sure where the 26 comes from.

In your words he is coming off "his worst season probably ever" and you want to sign him? A player who has rejected us in the past and Madrid are actively seeking to sell? If we are to be a pressing team he is not got it in him to run for 90 minutes any more and if you've seen him at Madrid the last 2 seasons you would see it. Why will he bounce back now with his fitness issues and degrading athleticism in a more physically demanding league? This is the kind of signing we slate Woodward for, getting in the big names who don't fit.

This. Sums up exactly why I feel we should not be in for him, and why I said his reputation exceeds his current level.
Came from whoscored so go have a moan at them if there stats are wrong lad, 26 starts however many from the bench.

And as have said three times now, if the option is there to TAKE HIM ON LOAN, not sign him permanently, want me to spell it out for you as you seem to be struggling to understand it.

He is way down my list, what I am saying is he would be a major upgrade on the absolute drivel we currently have!

So a guy has a poor season and that is him done and washed up is it? No coming back from it? I remember Giggs having quite a few injury problems, also remember a section of United fans booing him, saying he was done and past it, went on for another 3/4 years.

My choice of RW this summer would be Sancho (staying at Dortmund), Pepe (can probably see him going to PSG), Brooks (most realistic), and then Bale on loan.

If none of the other 3 are obtainable, you give me a choice between Mata, Lingard or Bale next season, there is only one winner.

If Woodward spent 80m+ on Bale and gave him 600k a week then I would agree with you. If he got him on loan for 12 months on the same wages we are gonna give Rashford, then personally think that would be a great bit of business.

Bale loan
Maguire 60m (De Ligt/Koulibaly look out of reach)
Rice or Partey 40m
Neves 50m
AWB 40m
Dybala or Felix 80m

Sancho 100m summer 2020.

That would do me big time!

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Under Jose, I'd have been happy to sign Bale. Jose seems to like working with older players. But with Ole in charge, I'd prefer a younger attacker.

Flytan

So a player who scored LESS than our current forwards (who we all agree have been poor) is better than them? His reputation far exceeds his current level.
I mean he has better production than Lingard who plays there, so yes.

And anyone that actually watches games could see he'd be better on the right than our 3 strikers

SER19

We should do this on loan. Let dan James step in for the 15 or 20 games he’s rested or misses and go all out for Sancho next summer. Bale still has magic in him, 30 games in the season , while on loan, is a good move without many available world class wingers. Think he’d do well here. Bale , martial, rashford with some rotation and lukaku and greenwood on bench is good. If we sort out what’s happening behind them.

Zhagzi

I can't see Bale fit into United. Not that he's not an amazing player and gifted beyond all of our current players, but his style isn't fitting with what Ole is trying to build here. He's actually trying to impose his long-term strategy with both players, staff and general set-up with the club, which we have been lacking. Moyes didn't have a plan, neither did LvG nor Mourinho. The two latter were brought in for short term repair and success - of which hasn't really come true. Now Ole is trying to build something here, and I don't think Bale would be the one to lead or take the lead should we need a leader in the field on those bad days. The mere fact, that he has had no intention of integrating himself with the rest of the squad should ring some alarm bells in most of you. We saw Mourinho with bad attitude prior to him at United, same with Sanchez in his final season at Arsenal - they both took the bad vibes with them to United. Let's not repeat this now.

DarkChild™

I am glad Ole seems not inclined towards Bale. Its shocking how many fans want a sicknote, unmotivated, madrid reject who has rejected us so many times in the past. He made it clear he likes nothing about united, time to return the favour and denie any links to him. What United need is young talented players and above all an efficient and entertaining identity on the field. Bale will not make us play any champagne football.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
In principle, we absolutely need a senior forward to deliver next season. Not sure if that man is Bale, but I’ve said months back that I wouldn’t be against him on loan. The idea of every good player in our team being 19 years old will see us struggle. I’d have him at centre forward for a year on loan, and he’s easily better than anything we have.

Sanchez was supposed to sort this shit for us ffs.

Scholsey2004

Schweinsteiger was well past it, anyone who had a club at all new that bar Woodward and maybe you?

Sanchez yeah, don't think there was a United or Arsenal fan on the planet who could have predicted his fall from grace.

You are right though, he might have trouble matching Sanchez's 2 goals in 35+ games, Rashford's one goal in his last what 13/14 games, Lukaku and his massive goal drought, Mata and his 1 goal every 6 months, Martial and his 1 or 2 performances every six months.

Bale does have massive standards to beat, you are correct. In fact I'm quite surprised that were after an attacker at all with all those goals and assists we have flowing through the side.

The fact that a CM is our top scorer, says it all.....
Bale WAS a world class player. Past tense. Real are trying to eject him now because he's no longer a world class player. Do clubs often try to force out world class players in your opinion? I don't remember seeing that without a clear underlying problem. He's not what he was and players don't decline just a bit and then stop. He's on his way down. Hes exactly like schweinsteiger and Sanchez. We need to be targeting players who are at their peak or approaching it, not players who are on their way back down at a rate of knots.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
3 games? He has hardly been injured so if he has only been frozen out for 3 games how come he has only played 21 games in La Liga, surely that should have been higher?
Because he sucked, plain and simple. He also has been injured of course, but not for long

The fact you're slagging him/his footballing ability off because he has had one bad season is actually laughable.

Money on it you were bowing down to him last season when he destroyed the scousers in Kiev?
He's a 30 year old coming off the worst season of his career. He was tasked with becoming the man at the biggest club in the world, to take the mantle from cristiano, and ended up getting outplayed and beaten to his spot by an 18 year old and fecking Lucas Vazquez

I personally don't want him as 30 in July but to saying he is no longer a top class player whose form over the past 4/5 years doesn't merit the wages he is on, comes across as being pretty clueless.
Never said that. Bale fully deserved this kind of wages when we gave it to him in 2016, when he was arguably our best player even ahead of cristiano. The only issue i've always had is the same one i have with pretty much every contract we've given out over the last few years, lenght. Made zero sense to me to extend him to his age 33/34 season, and i was right. Unfortunately Florentino doesn't learn, if Kroos is any indication :(

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
I can’t beleive some of you would actually take him. He’s been a physio’s retirement fund for most of his career and is at the wrong end of it thanks to too many injuries.

He would take funds that could be much better utilitised.

No doubt the guys quality but he’s not someone you can rely on over a season.

SATA

I think i want him for a season on loan. I will play him up top the way Wales uses him. He's miles better than Rashford and Lukaku as a striker. Bale is quicker, smarter, clinical and can control a football at his feet. We will see no more blind alleys and balls bouncing off feet

RedTillI'mDead

A Key Tool
Washed up 12 months after winning his club the Champions League haha, imagine being washed up at 29, poor lad!
How quickly has Sanchez become washed up and he doesn't have anything like the injury history of Bale

And also what about all the noise with Sanchez's pay? Bale will be worse!

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Spoofex (Reddit ITK) seems convinced he'll join on a loan with an option for a free transfer. Basically it's between him, Griezmann, and Pepe, but Griezmann is only using us to get better terms from Barca.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Sorry but this is just wrong on so many levels. The Madrid fans can be pretty poisonous at the best of times but in the case of Bale they have essentially treated him like crap for years and Zidane has compounded that. Bale had no issues with being on the bench in the 2017 CL final because he was only just back from injury and others deserved their spot even though it was heartbreaking for him with the final being in his home town. He was rightly furious at being dropped for the 2018 final when he had scored 5 goals in the previous 4 games and was in red hot form which he proved by coming on and winning the game for which Zidane and the fans gave him zero credit.

Bale is highly motivated and is better than any current United player and it is not even close. I am not advocating signing him because I don't believe buying 30 year olds is how you rebuild but to pretend he is in any way not good enough or not professional enough comparted to what we currently have is a joke. If by some twist he does sign here I guarantee you he would be our top scorer next season and would instantly make us a hell of a lot more competitive against the likes of City and Liverpool.
True the Madrid fans are tough, but I actually agree with them in this instance. Watching him outside of the last CL, I have to disagree that he's motivated, he always has an attitude and a DGAF aura. He's also not as good as he once was.

No one is saying we have better players than him in his prime, but he's no longer that player. We should be spending money on talented, younger, hungrier players who still has a lot to achieve.

Gopher Brown

Saw he was linked to Wolves too. I have visions of him doing well there, yet if he joined us he’d instantly turn into dogshite.

I worrying feel like that about a lot of people were linked to though.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Spoofex (Reddit ITK) seems convinced he'll join on a loan with an option for a free transfer. Basically it's between him, Griezmann, and Pepe, but Griezmann is only using us to get better terms from Barca.
Spoofex best be wrong. We are such idiots.

jesperjaap

Happily take him on loan regardless of the wages, wouldnt want to sign him at this stage of his career though. Do think signing a star player even on loan early in the window could actually help us with other targets, also think he could be a big help to the younger players we have. Lets face it as much as I loved him as a player before he joined us, wages on Bale instead of Sanchez if we can get shot of him would be a good thing. Not seen much of Bale this year, but has he really declined that badly in 12 months?

StrettyEnder07

Bale WAS a world class player. Past tense. Real are trying to eject him now because he's no longer a world class player. Do clubs often try to force out world class players in your opinion? I don't remember seeing that without a clear underlying problem. He's not what he was and players don't decline just a bit and then stop. He's on his way down. Hes exactly like schweinsteiger and Sanchez. We need to be targeting players who are at their peak or approaching it, not players who are on their way back down at a rate of knots.
Which is exactly why I have said I would take him on loan for a season but not buy him permanently, FML try actually having a clue what I am talking about before going off on one, so if Sancho/Pepe and our top RW targets are not obtainable this summer you would rather stick with Mata/Lingard for the RW rather than take Bale on loan for a season before hopefully going for Sancho next summer. THAT IS WHAT I'M SAYING FFS.

StrettyEnder07

Because he sucked, plain and simple. He also has been injured of course, but not for long

He's a 30 year old coming off the worst season of his career. He was tasked with becoming the man at the biggest club in the world, to take the mantle from cristiano, and ended up getting outplayed and beaten to his spot by an 18 year old and fecking Lucas Vazquez

Never said that. Bale fully deserved this kind of wages when we gave it to him in 2016, when he was arguably our best player even ahead of cristiano. The only issue i've always had is the same one i have with pretty much every contract we've given out over the last few years, lenght. Made zero sense to me to extend him to his age 33/34 season, and i was right. Unfortunately Florentino doesn't learn, if Kroos is any indication :(
To be fair you have seen him day in day out, I have watched about 3 Madrid games this season, I can't recall him being injured to much this season just seems to have been frozen out, especially the last 6 months or so.

So if you're United, Sancho/Pepe are not obtainable this summer, you get offered Bale on loan for half his wages for a season, he is an insane improvement on Mata/Lingard (don't care what any muppet on here says), you not think that would be a pretty risk free bit of business from our point of view?

StrettyEnder07

How quickly has Sanchez become washed up and he doesn't have anything like the injury history of Bale

And also what about all the noise with Sanchez's pay? Bale will be worse!
That's why I am saying get him on loan for probably half his wages, Madrid will pay half of them to get him out of the club for at least a season, the same as we will do if Sanchez goes to Inter/Juve.

Can everyone losing their minds over Bale realise that I have said TAKE HIM ON LOAN not buy him permanently, seems to be a part of the brain that people are struggling with this concept.

We would end up paying maybe £250k a week for Bale if he came on loan, we are giving Marcus "Can't hit a barn door with a fecking banjo" Rashford £300k a week for doing pretty much feck all, so Bale on £250k a week on loan would be pretty risk free, especially if Sanchez goes to Italy with Lukaku and it frees up money for elsewhere this summer.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
To be fair you have seen him day in day out, I have watched about 3 Madrid games this season, I can't recall him being injured to much this season just seems to have been frozen out, especially the last 6 months or so.

So if you're United, Sancho/Pepe are not obtainable this summer, you get offered Bale on loan for half his wages for a season, he is an insane improvement on Mata/Lingard (don't care what any muppet on here says), you not think that would be a pretty risk free bit of business from our point of view?
He would improve us no end. If it's on a loan I am 100% for it. Hell if the naysayers are correct and we only get half a season out of him I'd prefer that to a full one of any of our other players.

meamth

If we can replace him with for Sanchez, I'd say why not?

If the rumors are true about Real paying a bit of the wages, decent deal.