g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Let's all Laugh at England

Loublaze

ATLien
I'm Canadian with English roots along with French and Irish. I root for all 4 but especially for England being a United fan and having favourite players like Rooney and Scholes.

Go England. A football mad country doing well is a thing of beauty after decades of falling short.

Any United fan regardless of nation should want England to do well.
No, just no!

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
England winning it will be like Leicester City winning the EPL in 2014/15, a year in which all the traditional big teams struggled and go knocked out. And the team who England beats in he final (Belgium or France) will be Arsenal, perfect moment to win the title with the bigger teams failing but they got beaten by England :lol:

An Irish Red

Many English United fans have been and still are anti-England for several reasons. But this team is immensely likeable, so I'd assume some of those have had a change of heart.
I don't see how people think they're likeable. They have Alli, Henderson, Sterling, Dier and Kane playing for them; all of whom are unlikable. I'd argue Trippier and Stones are as well.

It's odd to me that people badmouth Spurs, Liverpool and City all year and then turn around and say a team with a load of their players are "immensely" likeable. I don't get it.

Classical Mechanic

I honestly think most of the anti-england brigade are WUMs who should have been banned long ago.
They’re not WUMs. Genuine bitters.

The one thing this World Cup has taught me is how silly the partisan nature of football is, at club and national level. Imagine being so emotional invested in hating another team. It’s odd really.

Think my outlook will change going forward. If City have another belting season I don’t think it will bother me anywhere near as much.

Kapardin

I don't see how people think they're likeable. They have Alli, Henderson, Sterling, Dier and Kane playing for them; all of whom are unlikable. I'd argue Trippier and Stones are as well.

It's odd to me that people badmouth Spurs, Liverpool and City all year and then turn around and say a team with a load of their players are "immensely" likeable. I don't get it.
Alli is certainly not likeable, I give you that. Dier maybe, but I don't have a problem with Sterling or Kane (Sterling was a United fan apparently before he joined Liverpool too). Kane is quite likeable, apart from the one immature incident of claiming Eriksen's goal, he isn't cnutish in any way.

Henderson is a Liverpool player, but I don't hate him in the same way as Gerrard etc. He's so non-descript that he's not even worth hating or liking anyway from our perspective. Same goes for Trippier and Stones.

One plus point is that there is only 1 Liverpool player in this England team.

buckooo1978

wow this thread is far more serious than it should be

a lot of touchy English fans

I remember the same England fans making life Hell for David Beckham - I remember singing You can stick your fecking England up your arse with tens of thousands of others at Old Trafford. I remember poor Phil Neville getting destroyed for making a mistake - I remember Rooney being made a scapegoat too.

quite simply given English arrogance, the Rule Britannia crowd, the English media, the way many many England fans have treated international tournaments like another World War, the historical context it's natural to have some friendly rivalry

on arrogance, this has been the most humble England team for a long-time and Southgate is a likeable guy. It's brilliant to see Young and Lingard doing well.

at the same time, this thread should be one marked by humour - not by people getting their panties in a twist - it's like asking United fans to support Liverpool in the CL final as they are both from the North West

POF

They’re not WUMs. Genuine bitters.

The one thing this World Cup has taught me is how silly the partisan nature of football is, at club and national level. Imagine being so emotional invested in hating another team. It’s odd really.

Think my outlook will change going forward. If City have another belting season I don’t think it will bother me anywhere near as much.
Are you serious?

Would you have been genuinely chuffed for Klopp and his merry band of gegenpressers if they won the Champions League?

6 times la! Isn't it fantastic?

Football is a ridiculously partisan sport where people support 11 players with rabid passion on the basis of what jersey they wear. There is no logic to it.

If people don't support the same team as you, it's nothing personal. It's the nature of football.

tonnas

Lots of anit-English now getting worried that England will actually make it! COME ON BOYS!!

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Hard to believe that there are people who hate this team , they are pretty much exactly what you would want from a team. Young , disciplined and tactically smart. The reason that they are in the semi finals is that unlike previous English teams they are good at game management, there is no star attitude and superstars . I really enjoy watching this team and you have to be incredibly bitter to hate this team

POF

Hard to believe that there are people who hate this team , they are pretty much exactly what you would want from a team. Young , disciplined and tactically smart. The reason that they are in the semi finals is that unlike previous English teams they are good at game management, there is no star attitude and superstars . I really enjoy watching this team and you have to be incredibly bitter to hate this team
What's your opinion of Liverpool? Young, attacking team who play an exciting brand of football. No star attitude or superstars. Made it to the final of the elite European competition.

I presume you're a huge fan as you'd need to be incredibly bitter to hate them.

Classical Mechanic

Are you serious?

Would you have been genuinely chuffed for Klopp and his merry band of gegenpressers if they won the Champions League?

6 times la! Isn't it fantastic?

Football is a ridiculously partisan sport where people support 11 players with rabid passion on the basis of what jersey they wear. There is no logic to it.

If people don't support the same team as you, it's nothing personal. It's the nature of football.
I won’t be ‘chuffed’ by their success but I would acknowledge their achievement. I find the level to which some Home Nation fans take the anti England thing to be kind of pathetic. But if you start criticising other people then you should look at yourself and the amount of emotional investment I had in hating City’s success was too much, in my opinion. It was bitterness and those emotions aren’t good for you.

Maybe it’s just part of getting older.

POF

I won’t be ‘chuffed’ by their success but I would acknowledge their achievement. I find the level to which some Home Nation fans take the anti England thing to be kind of pathetic. But if you start criticising other people then you should look at yourself and the amount of emotional investment I had in hating City’s success was too much, in my opinion. It was bitterness and those emotions aren’t good for you.

Maybe it’s just part of getting older.
Good for you. It takes guts to admit to the world that you were pathetic.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I am Irish so I am well aware of our history with MUFC.

This is why my family over three generations have supported United.

My grand-father loved Johnny Carey.

There are people in this thread who have said they hate England and English fans because they have the gall to sing their national anthem yet support United (a team based in England) apparently.

They are a joke.
Who’s that?

I explained why a lot of Irish people hate the England team because - amazingly - some of ye aren’t able to figure this out.

I don’t hate the England team and I certainly don’t hate English people. I only got dragged into this stupid bun fight because of a post saying I’m finding it hard to continue supporting this team. Why would I have ever been supporting a team I hate?!

I’m Irish and overt English nationalism makes the vast majority of Irish people a little uneasy. For obvious fecking reasons. FWIW I know plenty of English people who are uneasy about it too. So it isn’t easy to continue feeling the love for a load of fans singing God Save The Queen, while dressed as knights from the crusades. This seems to have massively hurt the feelings of a few people, who must have been counting on my support. Oh well. Sorry to let them down.

Having said all that I’d be lying if I said a big part of me wouldn’t be chuffed to see Jesse, Young, Jones and Rashford with WC medals. So I certainly won’t be gutted if England win.

Last edited:

Barca84

Supports
Doesn't support Barca
:lol: The feck are you on about here, you weirdo?
Im not surprised you've forgotten that little gem of an exchange in 90k of posting. Telling to say the least.

Anyhow this is the Let's all laugh at England thread let's try and keep it on track and actually find something to laugh at.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Im not surprised you've forgotten that little gem of an exchange in 90k of posting. Telling to say the least.

Anyhow this is the Let's all laugh at England thread let's try and keep it on track and actually find something to laugh at.
Do please remind me. I’m all ears. Unless, that is, you’re just making shit up? In which case I’ll settle for an apology.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
The arrogance!
Yup. It's posts like these why everyone hates Belgium and France.
Call it how you want it, England still hasn’t beaten a top team this tournament and neither has Croatia. They’ve looked good in parts but we knew that from the qualifiers, the doubts around them shouldn’t just disappear. I like England, but that’s simply the truth. Winner of Belgium v France is much more likely to win the WC than England or Croatia imo.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Call it how you want it, England still hasn’t beaten a top team this tournament and neither has Croatia. They’ve looked good in parts but we knew that from the qualifiers, the doubts around them shouldn’t just disappear. I like England, but that’s simply the truth. Winner of Belgium v France is much more likely to win the WC than England or Croatia imo.
The teams left in the competition are there on merit. They are the sides that have knocked out the likes of Germany, Italy, and The Netherlands. We could well be facing Spain in the Semi's if they had put in performances that merited their progression. Odd detraction from our success thus far.

Moonred

Yeah let’s see it. C’mon, make it fun! No football today..

Barca84

Supports
Doesn't support Barca
Do please remind me. I’m all ears. Unless, that is, you’re just making shit up? In which case I’ll settle for an apology.
I'll leave you to locate it and delete as necessary.

Now this "overt English nationalism". Does singing your national anthem like every other country qualify as that? Got a problem with fancy dress knights now as well it seems?

And during your earlier "support" of England in this tournament where you not aware that God Save the Queen was the national anthem?

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
The teams left in the competition are there on merit. They are the sides that have knocked out the likes of Germany, Italy, and The Netherlands. We could well be facing Spain in the Semi's if they had put in performances that merited their progression. Odd detraction from our success thus far.
Weird logic. Sweden didn’t knock out Spain and lost to Germany. Switzerland scraped through the group stages. Spain were just awful, not like Russia were great. Once again, yes you deserve to be in the semis but on the other hand, YOU haven’t beaten a top side so far. Will need to be two to win it all though so much deserved if you do, obviously.

TheReligion

Abusive
Weird logic. Sweden didn’t knock out Spain and lost to Germany. Switzerland scraped through the group stages. Spain were just awful, not like Russia were great. Once again, yes you deserve to be in the semis but on the other hand, YOU haven’t beaten a top side so far. Will need to be two to win it all though so much deserved if you do, obviously.
Not sure what the argument is here. France and Belgium are better sides than England and Croatia , as the rankings would indicate. Obviously they are expected to win the WC much more.

POF

Like I said, amazing thread.:lol:
I'm confused. What's amazing? The poster said he found that sort of behaviour pathetic but did the same himself when City won the league, found it unhealthy and wasn't going to do that anymore.

Fair play to him. It's more self aware than many on here who seem to be taking massive offence to anyone who doesn't support England but will gladly behave the same way in relation to other teams.

Thanks chaps.
See above in case you found that comment offensive. It genuinely wasn't intended that way.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Sweden finished above Germany in the group. How on earth is that wierd logic? They also eliminated Italy and Holland. Yes, Russia were better. That's why they progressed and Spain didn't. These stern tests didn't materialise because the supposed chaff we've defeated knocked them out of the competition.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
I'll leave you to locate it and delete as necessary.
And I’ll leave you to apologise for a completely false accusation. In your own time.

Now this "overt English nationalism". Does singing your national anthem like every other country qualify as that? Got a problem with fancy dress knights now as well it seems?

And during your earlier "support" of England in this tournament where you not aware that God Save the Queen was the national anthem?
I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt (feck knows why after the pathetic jibe you still can’t back up) and assume these are rhetorical questions.

A rhetorical question right back at you. Do you ever wonder why overt English nationalism might push buttons for people from countries they once colonised?

Personally, I’m usually not too fussed about it but it can get to the point where I struggle to keep supporting their team. More because of long term sporting rivalries than any sort of post colonial grievances. Which happened last night. So there you go.

Last edited:

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
All the crying in here that other nations don't want England to win and then this:

Shameful. You both should be embarrassed.
I know that you know Irish have stew and Haggis is Scottish. No need to be facetious. Where as I do believe we should let bygones be bygones and bury the past, you have to understand what we English did to Ireland. Even last century our soldiers were killing Irish civilians (Derry being the most famous) and the newspapers were writing about Irish people as they write about Muslims today (they are job stealers, criminals, terrorists etc).
Woooooosh.

For fecks sake :lol:

TheReligion

Abusive
A rhetorical question right back at you. Do you ever wonder why overt English nationalism might push buttons for people from countries they once colonised?
So what's the answer here then? English people aren't allowed to be overtly passionate about their country doing well at a world cup for fear someone will take offence over the Crusades and the Troubles?

Is that really a reason to call the English pricks?

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
So what's the answer here then? English people aren't allowed to be overtly passionate about their country doing well at a world cup for fear someone will take offence over the Crusades and the Troubles?

Is that really a reason to call the English pricks?
You can do whatever the hell you want. Just don’t expect every football fan from all the neighbouring countries to support your team. That’s been the big eye opener for me in this thread. The expectation that Irish, Welsh, Scottish football fans should support the English national team or else we’re “bitter” (or racist ffs!).

I shouldn’t have called anyone a prick. I had a few drinks on me last night and got a bit wound up. So apologies to @Djemba-Djemba as I think I was pretty harsh in my comments to him and he’s always struck me as a good bloke.

Redlambs

:lol: The feck are you on about here, you weirdo?
:lol:

It was intended to be that.
There always seems to be a number of try hard intellectuals who miss the that basic point in threads like these.

As I said last night, the only people who should be embarrased in here are those actually seriously debating this shit ;)

Redlambs

You can do whatever the hell you want. Just don’t expect every football fan from all the neighbouring countries to support your team. That’s been the big eye opener for me in this thread. The expectation that Irish, Welsh, Scottish football fans should support the English national team or else we’re “bitter” (or racist ffs!).
:lol:

In a serious note, I couldn't give a feck. In fact, I've greatly enjoyed the biterness. Football rivalries are fun!