Let's all Laugh at England

Barca84

Supports
Doesn't support Barca
And I’ll leave you to apologise for a completely false accusation. In your own time.

I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt (feck knows why after the pathetic jibe you still can’t back up) and assume these are rhetorical questions.

A rhetorical question right back at you. Do you ever wonder why overt English nationalism might push buttons for people from countries they once colonised?

Personally, I’m usually not too fussed about it but it can get to the point where I struggle to keep supporting their team. More because of long term sporting rivalries than any sort of post colonial grievances. Which happened last night. So there you go.
They weren't rhetorical.

These attempts at squirming out of your bigoted posting last night are a bit embarrassing for someone i assume is a grown man? Own them or cough up to being pissed or something.

Varun

Staff
This thread is really weird.

You'd expect United fans of all people to a) Not look for validation from all and sundry, be used to people downplaying their success etc and b) Know that stuff like "you only won because of easy fixtures, ref support blah blah blah" comes from, and this is shocking, people whose teams have been knocked the feck out of the tournament.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
They weren't rhetorical.

These attempts at squirming out of your bigoted posting last night are a bit embarrassing for someone i assume is a grown man? Own them or cough up to being pissed or something.
:lol: Not as embarrassing as your complete inability to back up that “pretending to not be Irish” accusation. Still waiting for an apology btw.

Barca84

Supports
Doesn't support Barca
:lol: not as embarrassing as your cowardly refusal to back up that “pretending to not be Irish” accusation. Dickhead.
Im just not going to trawl through your dull and overly long posting history to dredge it up.

Anyway....seems you've owned up to being pissed as suspected. Not the first time someone's bigotry has aired itself after a few shandies. :lol:

Enjoy the rest of the football.

TheReligion

Abusive
You can do whatever the hell you want. Just don’t expect every football fan from all the neighbouring countries to support your team. That’s been the big eye opener for me in this thread. The expectation that Irish, Welsh, Scottish football fans should support the English national team or else we’re “bitter” (or racist ffs!).
Who has said they want everyone to support England?

The biggest eye opener for me has been there's clear hatred and racism against the English by many posters. I find that very unsettling if I'm honest. I'm not an "English prick" because my country did some horrendous things during the years of the empire before I even existed. Nor should I have to be ashamed as to who I am and where I come from due to things which have absolutely nothing to do with me.

Classical Mechanic

You can do whatever the hell you want. Just don’t expect every football fan from all the neighbouring countries to support your team. That’s been the big eye opener for me in this thread. The expectation that Irish, Welsh, Scottish football fans should support the English national team or else we’re “bitter” (or racist ffs!).

I shouldn’t have called anyone a prick. I had a few drinks on me last night and got a bit wound up. So apologies to @Djemba-Djemba as I think I was pretty harsh in my comments to him and he’s always struck me as a good bloke.
I don’t expect any non-English person to support England.

What some people have a problem with is some fans hating England and passionately wanting them to fail whilst supporting Manchester United, an English team with English players in it, some of which are in the England team. It isn’t necessarily my point of view as a concept but the extent to which a decent number of fans take it makes it unpalatable at times.

crossy1686

career ending
Lot of generalising in here. Think England get a bad reputation due to the likes of West Ham and Millwall fans who go to most of the games or abroad and act like utter bellend's = typical English.

I'd honestly be surprised if anyone wanted England to win the World Cup. We generally show other nations a complete lack of respect when we get excited, some from this World Cup:

Before the Belgium game: "We should lose so we get the easy draws"
Before the Colombia game: "Easy route to the final, who are we going to draw in the semi's"
Before the Sweden game: "England beat this Sweden team 99 times out of 100"
Before the Croatia game: "Who do we want in the final? #footballscominghome"

This is why people want to see us fail.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Lot of generalising in here. Think England get a bad reputation due to the likes of West Ham and Millwall fans who go to most of the games or abroad and act like utter bellend's = typical English.

I'd honestly be surprised if anyone wanted England to win the World Cup. We generally show other nations a complete lack of respect when we get excited, some from this World Cup:

Before the Colombia game: "Easy route to the final, who are we going to draw in the semi's"

Err what?

It's literally the non English on here saying we had an easy run and being all bitter about it! :lol:

Djemba-Djemba

I shouldn’t have called anyone a prick. I had a few drinks on me last night and got a bit wound up. So apologies to @Djemba-Djemba as I think I was pretty harsh in my comments to him and he’s always struck me as a good bloke.
I didn't explain myself properly last night anyway and looking back I came across smug so I'm to blame as well and I apologise.

It's no worries @Pogue Mahone .

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Fecking hell. I’ve had to wade back through several pages to find the whole “English pricks” thing. Which was an angry retort to being (annoyingly easily) wound up by @Redlambs. Obviously a silly comment and apologies to anyone I offended.

It’s weird reading back, though. The “criticism” of England is really quite mild (up until I waded in, anyway!) yet there’s a whole bunch of posts about saltiness/bitterness and one accusation of racism (wtf?) just because not everybody was rooting for England. Very strange.

Ananke

I find it really odd that anyone from the United Kingdom or neighbouring countries like Ireland actually want England to lose. There’s a difference between actively supporting and wanting a team to do well. If wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland or Ireland had got this far in a competition I could see the vast majority of English people hoping they progress. But vice versa, just seems like the majority of those countries want us to plummet out so they can laugh?

This isn’t a football rivalry like Liverpool and United, competing for league titles and European titles. Our countries aren’t at war, we all visit or live in each other’s countries quite a lot. So I’m uncertain why this wanting England to do bad is a thing.

There’s no arrogance from the average England fan. If anything, we criticise the squad more than anyone and we are VERY negative about how we will perform before every World Cup. The ‘its coming home’ and sudden optimism that we will reach the final is just a sliver of hope that every English person has. When deep down we’re all dreading for something to go wrong in this World Cup, and we have been throughout.

Arrogance is the average Germany fan expecting their team to reach at LEAST the quarter finals. Nothing less. To say we are arrogant when no one expected us to get this far is just absurd.

Every english man or women watching this World Cup is just HOPING, not expecting.

Redlambs

Fecking hell. I’ve had to wade back through several pages to find the whole “English pricks” thing. Which was an angry retort to being (annoyingly easily) wound up by @Redlambs. Obviously a silly comment and apologies to anyone I offended.

It’s weird reading back, though. The “criticism” of England is really quite mild (up until I waded in, anyway!) yet there’s a whole bunch of posts about saltiness/bitterness and one accusation of racism (wtf?) just because not everyone was getting on the ”football’s coming home” bandwagon. Very strange.
It's a joke thread and I just assumed we were all in on it :lol:

No hard feelings here mate, in fact I always want the home nations to do well and I couldn't care less if that feeling comes back to us or not, it's just football after all and I'm well aware England's reputation is well earned over the years.

Now head back to the shire and tell the others to pipe down, there's a good lad ;)

togg

Who’s that?

I explained why a lot of Irish people hate the England team because - amazingly - some of ye aren’t able to figure this out.

I don’t hate the England team and I certainly don’t hate English people. I only got dragged into this stupid bun fight because of a post saying I’m finding it hard to continue supporting this team. Why would I have ever been supporting a team I hate?!

I’m Irish and overt English nationalism makes the vast majority of Irish people a little uneasy. For obvious fecking reasons. FWIW I know plenty of English people who are uneasy about it too. So it isn’t easy to continue feeling the love for a load of fans singing God Save The Queen, while dressed as knights from the crusades. This seems to have massively hurt the feelings of a few people, who must have been counting on my support. Oh well. Sorry to let them down.

Having said all that I’d be lying if I said a big part of me wouldn’t be chuffed to see Jesse, Young, Jones and Rashford with WC medals. So I certainly won’t be gutted if England win.
Well, to be fair, I'll take the odd Knights from the crusades singing God Save The Queen rather than that bloody band blasting out The Great Escape - thank goodness the Russians banned instruments in the stadiums!

Oh I get why certain other countries really dislike English nationalism, especially the home nations! There are countries all over the world that have disastrous histories with their neighbours with similar emotions. Obviously, the nationalism has grown even more fervent as the competition has gone on which is to be expected. If England fans just passionately supported their team in the same way as other equally (if not more) patriotic fans for their national teams and not use suggested colonial symbolism as the driving force behind it, we would probably have a few more friends and supporters!

Oh, I'm 50% Scots, 50% English - yes, I've been in therapy!!

Camilo

I'd honestly be surprised if anyone wanted England to win the World Cup. We generally show other nations a complete lack of respect when we get excited, some from this World Cup
Think there's a fair bit of truth here - there's always a slight victim attitude with the English. Instead of celebrating your own success there's always a bit of a mocking, smug superiority to the wins. It's like, how you're viewed by others is as important as how you view yourselves..

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
I don’t expect any non-English person to support England.

What some people have a problem with is some fans hating England and passionately wanting them to fail whilst supporting Manchester United, an English team with English players in it, some of which are in the England team. It isn’t necessarily my point of view as a concept but the extent to which a decent number of fans take it makes it unpalatable at times.
It’s not a new concept, though. As people have already pointed out you’ve actually had a lot of English fans of United chanting at Old Trafford about how much they dislike “Ingerland” relatively recently (after Beckham got scapegoated) So it shouldn’t be surprising/shocking when some non-English United fans don’t support the English national team.

buckooo1978

England fans storm IKEA after the game

not sure if any Billy bookcases were damaged

Reiver

I might regret posting on this thread but here goes.
As a Scotsman, I've been happy to see England do well so far. There's been so many Utd players playing for England over the years and I always want them to do well. Some England teams are more likeable than others and this is an extremely likeable one, in my opinion. Love Southgate and I've enjoyed watching Lingard and Young whilst shouting at the tv because Rashford hasn't been subbed on yet. The team reminds me of the 1990 squad, who were much unfancied, and they are my favourite England team ever.
For all that I've been happy for England so far, I'm not sure that I want them to win the World Cup. And in doing so I don't believe that makes me anti-English, racist or any less of a United supporter which some on here seem to think.
I don't think England have been lucky - an opportunity has presented itself and they've been prepared to take it. Good for them. If they go on to win it, I'll congratulate them and look to the positives for United. Which I'm sure almost everyone on here in a similar position to me would do.

Classical Mechanic

Every Swede I heard on the radio etc said they would beat England. One Swedish pundit even said they would beat us because our players were spoilt and overrated.

The pundit who you are quoting as saying England beat Sweden 99 times out of 100 was Pat Nevin, he’s Scottish.

It’s normal to fancy your team to win. Many non-partisan fans on here actually say that England fans are the most pessimistic. The ‘English arrogance’ thing something the anti-England brigade like to inflate.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Im just not going to trawl through your dull and overly long posting history to dredge it up.

Anyway....seems you've owned up to being pissed as suspected. Not the first time someone's bigotry has aired itself after a few shandies. :lol:

Enjoy the rest of the football.
So. No apology then? Or admission that you might be wrong with that accusation? Classy stuff. Well done.

kps88

It’s not a new concept, though. As people have already pointed out you’ve actually had a lot of English fans of United chanting at Old Trafford about how much they dislike “Ingerland” relatively recently (after Beckham got scapegoated) So it shouldn’t be surprising/shocking when some non-English United fans don’t support the English national team.
You can go a lot more recent if you count songs like "that boy Ronaldo made England look shite" and "once more than England, world champions twice".

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
As a Scotsman, I've been happy to see England do well so far. There's been so many Utd players playing for England over the years and I always want them to do well. Some England teams are more likeable than others and this is an extremely likeable one, in my opinion. Love Southgate and I've enjoyed watching Lingard and Young whilst shouting at the tv because Rashford hasn't been subbed on yet. The team reminds me of the 1990 squad, who were much unfancied, and they are my favourite England team ever.
For all that I've been happy for England so far, I'm not sure that I want them to win the World Cup. And in doing so I don't believe that makes me anti-English, racist or any less of a United supporter which some on here seem to think.
I don't think England have been lucky - an opportunity has presented itself and they've been prepared to take it. Good for them. If they go on to win it, I'll congratulate them and look to the positives for United. Which I'm sure almost everyone on here in a similar position to me would do.
That’s exactly how I feel too. Even the bit about the 1990 team. They were great.

Ananke

Anyone expecting you to want England to win the World Cup is a little ridiculous. What you've said there is the attitude I'd expect from any Scottish/Irish/Welsh person. More 'casual' than 'anti'. :D

Classical Mechanic

They were defending Beckham. I’ve lived in Manchester all my life and almost everyone I know supports England. Don’t get me wrong, I’m sure there are still some Stretford End oddballs that don’t support England, though most of them have moved to Lightbowne Road with F.C. United probably. If any of them are gathering as Englishpersons, with their mates and actively supporting the team against us I would be very disappointed, however. They should want Lingard and Rashford to do well given they have played for us since they were 8 and embody everything that United is about.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?

Hardly a lack of respect, is it?

You're welcome to explain why:

They weren't easier draws
It wasn't an easier route to the final
Why we shouldn't feel we are favourites against Sweden.
You really beleive the "footballs coming home" stuff?

0le

I'm curious to know what the rivalry is like conditioned by age group. I suspect that in the next 50-100 years, the UK countries and Rep. of Ireland rivalry will mellow, similar to how the Arsenal-United rivalry did. I don't believe the rivalry is as strong for the younger generation. You already see that with Liverpool-United to a certain extent.

99withaflake

I'm English and was quite happy when Wales beat Belgium in the Euros. I wasn't throwing parties or downing tequilas, but I wanted them to win the match and was pleased when they did.

I remember in my first World Cup (1998) I really wanted Scotland to beat Brazil, and was disappointed when they didn't.

I'll never want them to do better than England, and the passion of course is not the same, but I still kinda want them to do well. Us Brits need to stick together. ;)

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
They were defending Beckham. I’ve lived in Manchester all my life and almost everyone I know supports England. Don’t get me wrong, I’m sure there are still some Stretford End oddballs that don’t support England, though most of them have moved to Lightbowne Road with F.C. United probably. If any of them are gathering as Englishpersons, with their mates and actively supporting the team against us I would be very disappointed, however. They should want Lingard and Rashford to do well given they have played for us since they were 8 and embody everything that United is about.
They are definitely taking things to extremes. I was just using them as an example of how supporting United doesn’t necessarily mean people will also support England. Even when they’re English.

Redlambs

Well I've learned the Irish, Cornish, Welsh, Scottish and Orcs aren't all interchangeable and don't all have short man's so I'd like to apologise to anyone I've offended.

Except the brummies of course. feck the brummies.

Barca84

Supports
Doesn't support Barca
Apart from you. Who seems to be also here to throw make believe accusations at people you disagree with. Then wriggle and squirm like a little bitch when you’re asked to back them up or apologise.
Oh dear we seem to have touched a nerve. You must be feeling a bit delicate after your drunken and bigoted ranting last night?

No need to apologise.

Now let's laugh at England and keep your pissed up half baked observations on "overt English nationalism" to a relevant political thread perhaps?

Cheers.

Speedicut75

For all those arrogant responses, you list, regarding our attitude toward potential opposition, I can honestly say that the consensus among most rank-and-file England fans here seems strikingly different. Maybe if, at this moment, you're still in Stockholm there's a different vibe but I don't see this arrogance manifest in the attitude of many where I am.

I don't like all this media-driven, "coming home" BS, and I think there'll be plenty of schadenfraude for others to revel in when the wheels do finally come off but most, in my experience, seem happy to just take it game to game and remember the execrable performances that have dogged the team in the very recent past.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Oh dear we seem to have touched a nerve. You must be feeling a bit delicate after your drunken and bigoted ranting last night?

No need to apologise.

Now let's laugh at England and keep your pissed up half baked observations on "overt English nationalism" to a relevant political thread perhaps?

Cheers.
I already did. Something you’re obviously not man enough to do.

You’re not coming out of this exchange well at all.

togg

Nobody really takes the 'football coming home' seriously do they? The actual song was written as irony coz England never wins! You just have to look at all the 'memes' floating around to know it's tongue in cheek. Some of those are hilarious.......

Speedicut75

Totally agree with what you've said, but I'd go further and say that not enthusiastically supporting England doesn't make someone from another country a racist. I have the same attitude toward Andy Murray, and am constantly bemused when I'm instructed that it's unpatriotic not to support the Scot. We live in different nations, regerdless of what it says on the passport, and I feel no obligation or responsibility to back him because of some geographical association. That said, if someone is to lift the title, then I'd like it to be a person that I have a cultural affinity with and therefore would root for any home nation player.