Let's all Laugh at England

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Well, at least we avoided Liverpool winning the CL, and the inevitable '6 times' gloating which has a half-life of 100,000 years; so, in comparison to that horrific prospect, England can do what they like as far as I'm concerned....win the World Cup, X Factor & the Nobel Prize for all I care. And it'll make a nice change for our WC players not to get burned in effigy while the headlines read 'TWITS COMING HOME'.

Infra-red

Does Fergie want England to win the world cup and if not is he in the wrong?
England has been his home for 32 years. The club he loves, and spent most of his career working for, is based here. He'd probably be alright with it.

Minimalist

What would you classify the stereotyping of English people/ fans as drunken, sunburnt louts, who should feel somehow ashamed of wanting to sing their country's national anthem?

@Barca84 was rightfully aggrieved.
Aye that’s what happened right enough.

Grow up fs.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Nobody should expect support, but a little respect to an entire nation's people and fans wouldn't go a miss. An entire nation's people shouldn't be put into the same bracket as its media or of a few people's actions.
Does “a little respect” include enforced supporting of their football team? And/or ignoring - and not discussing - the reasons why the England team is the most disliked team out of all the national teams in Britain and Ireland?

Because I have plenty of respect for the country and the people of England. I’ve even gone as far as wanting their team to win every game I’ve watched in this tournament. Please don’t infer that disliking your football team or some of its fans means I dislike your entire country and everyone who lives there. That’s a bit of a stretch!

GeorgieBoy

The Scottish/Irish/Welsh football teams feeling towards us is a bit like the way Blackburn and Bolton used to consider Manchester United their rivals. Bit one sided. :p

On a serious note, I love the home nations and think us taking the piss out of them; and the hatred from them when we do well is just a bit of fun, and anyone getting too emotionally invested in it is a mard arse.

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
Does “a little respect” include enforced supporting of their football team? And/or ignoring - and not discussing - the reasons why the England team is the most disliked team out of all the national teams in Britain and Ireland?

Because I have plenty of respect for the country and the people of England. I’ve even gone as far as wanting their team to win every game I’ve watched in this tournament. Please don’t infer that disliking your football team or some of its fans means I dislike your entire country and everyone who lives there. That’s a bit of a stretch!
tbf Pogue, your comment last night about English Pricks wasn't aimed at English fans, it was aimed at English people in general. That's how it read anyway. It is a little hard to believe you have any respect for the country and the people of it after that comment. They say the truth comes out after a few beers doesn't it?

jmaggio

As a new poster, I've had to carefully monitor what I post so I don't say anything too controversial, check for spelling mistakes and not make jokes or else they wouldn't get approved by the Admins. To see the state of this thread over the last few pages from established posters... :lol:

To not derail further, I think the best thing about this squad is the amount of movement off the ball. The off the ball running is a coaches wet dream. It must be impossible when you’re high up the pitch but have Sterling Lingard Alli Kane Young Trippier all bombing past you (why I think there is a chance we could do well against a team that presses more like Croatia.) In the past say, for example, Gerrard would play it to Lampard, then just jaunt around. There was no way they would sprint 20 just to draw a defender away or give Lampard an option. I think Lingard is especially clever when it comes to movement into space dragging the back line all over the place.

Dante

Average bang
Excitement about the England Football team at an international tournament is par for the course.

It's like Christmas in a tradionally Christian country. You may not be religious. You may not celebrate the holiday. You may not like the atmosphere it creates. But moaning because of its visibility is weird. It's a part of the cultural landscape. To all intents and purposes, it's about bringing people together for a shared experience. Begrudging that doesn't make sense to me.

haram

If England win the world cup, it’s because of this thread.

Classical Mechanic

Put some respec on our name son, otherwise things could get messy.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
tbf Pogue, your comment last night about English Pricks wasn't aimed at English fans, it was aimed at English people in general. That's how it read anyway. It is a little hard to believe you have any respect for the country and the people of it after that comment. They say the truth comes out after a few beers doesn't it?
My comment was in direct response to a nationality based slanging match with @Redlambs. So when he successfully wound me up, it was inevitable that my target would be “the English”.

I don’t think that needs to be taken as a genuine hatred for an entire nationality any more than his stuff about Irish people only eating mud and potatoes (or whatever the feck he was saying). Believe me, I have met Irish people with an genuine dislike for all things English (for reasons outlined above). I am not one of those people. If anything, the opposite.

Classical Mechanic

No I think it's fake news actually. They may be Russians .
I was going to say they didn't really look English with their garb. Sad that you have people deliberately trying to smear England fans though.

As an aside, I read that the Russian police would arrest Russians in they were drinking on the street but not fans from other nations.

The Firestarter

I was going to say they didn't really look English with their garb. Sad that you have people deliberately trying to smear England fans though.

As an aside, I read that the Russian police would arrest Russians in they were drinking on the street but not fans from other nations.
Yes, they are careful with their image abroad right now. And I don't think they will beat up foreign fans for the same reason. (although every asshole jumping on a cruiser like that deserves his head beat in)

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Not sure who comes out of this video looking worse, the supposed football fan (whose affiliation is unknown at this point) jumping on the back of a police wagon and generally acting like a tit, or the police officers beating the ever-loving shite out of the guy whilst he was curled up in a fetal position on the concrete.

It's a close one.

The Firestarter

Not sure who comes out of this video looking worse, the supposed football fan (whose affiliation is unknown at this point) jumping on the back of a police wagon and generally acting like a tit, or the police officers beating the ever-loving shite out of a guy curled up in a fetal position on the concrete.

It's a close one.
The fan must be thinking "Good thing I am not in the US though".

Alias

To your first point... no, hence my first point.

To your second point about being the most hated country, do you have any statistics to support this? It's a very bold statement. I'd be interested to determine how this statistic was determined and how the survey was designed. Or is this just your opinion?

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
"But it’s not as though this is clearly England’s best performance in all that time. They reached the World Cup quarter-finals with strong-looking sides in 2002 and 2006, yet it feels as though the euphoria never approached quite this pitch of intensity. Why should this be?"

There is a distinct difference in class - on paper at least - between the current England team and that of the 2002 and 2006 sides. Very few England fans, bar the diehard true believers, had any real hope that their team would achieve anything beyond the ordinary. The general consensus being one of failure as per the norm - reach the second round stage and get knocked out by whomever on penalties - so to see them exceed those albeit low initial expectations is a revelation for many.

The fact that there is now a very real possibility that we could not only reach the world cup final but actually win the competition outright, is quite frankly astonishing. As achievements go, England winning the world cup would be right up there with Leicester City's anomalous league title-winning triumph - possibly even exceeding it if that is possible. Given the England players' somewhat humble background, winning the world cup would be the biggest achievement in modern football history. We're damn proud of them and I think we have every right to be.

It's coming home.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

To your second point about being the most hated country, do you have any statistics to support this? It's a very bold statement. I'd be interested to determine how this statistic was determined and how the survey was designed. Or is this just your opinion?
You seriously think there's a chance that one of the Scotland, Wales, Ireland and Northern Ireland national sides are more traditionally disliked by the others than England are? I would be surprised if English fans are genuinely that unaware.

Just look at the video of the actual Welsh football team reacting to England's game against Iceland. You think they would have done the same if Iceland had beaten Scotland or Ireland?

InspiRED

Supports
Outraged snowflakes
Fair enough maybe the thread has gone a bit serious.

Gonna be great fun putting the boot in next time one of the little nations filled to the brim with England rejects pathetically fails to qualify (yet again). :D

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
My comment was in direct response to a nationality based slanging match with @Redlambs. So when he successfully wound me up, it was inevitable that my target would be “the English”.

I don’t think that needs to be taken as a genuine hatred for an entire nationality any more than his stuff about Irish people only eating mud and potatoes (or whatever the feck he was saying). Believe me, I have met Irish people with an genuine dislike for all things English (for reasons outlined above). I am not one of those people. If anything, the opposite.
I said no such thing! Plus I made it pretty clear I was fecking around just like I assumed you were. I mean, I was being incredibly obvious and even threw in some white text here and there.

My bad for having a laugh, next time I'll assume you are actually being an arse ;)

:lol:

GeorgieBoy

I'd say in the UK, England are by far the least hated nation technically given the fact that out of 66 million people, 55 million come from England. Loads of people from England hate the other home nation football teams.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
You seriously think there's a chance that one of the Scotland, Wales, Ireland and Northern Ireland national sides are more traditionally disliked by the others than England are? I would be surprised if English fans are genuinely that unaware.

Just look at the video of the actual Welsh football team reacting to England's game against Iceland. You think they would have done the same if Iceland had beaten Scotland or Ireland?

Correct. The inferiority complex only really comes into play when England are involved.

Fridge chutney

Do your best.
I was hugging City and Liverpool fans yesterday when Alli scored.
Not only that. The players are hugging each other too. Rashford has a new friendship with Dier. Lingard is mates with TAA. Henderson is everyone's friend.

fergies coat

Remember my first World Cup in 94. I was rooting for the Irish because we wasn’t there.

Then in 2016 I was rooting for the Welsh when we were knocked out.

After reading this thread I think I’ll be as petty as you lot now and hate the rest of the uk teams for no reason at all, or for historical reasons that happened hundreds of years ago. So feck William Wallace. Saint David and saint paddy.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur

I'm. Not trying to be disrespectful but do you think most english people could name more than a handful of players from the other three teams?

Beyond Bale, Ramsey, Gunter, Williams?, Robson Kanu and Tierney, o would struggle to name another player.

Its difficult to hate something you know very little about.