Let's all Laugh at England

99withaflake

Nobody really takes the 'football coming home' seriously do they? The actual song was written as irony coz England never wins! You just have to look at all the 'memes' floating around to know it's tongue in cheek. Some of those are hilarious.......
The average internet user has an IQ of 12. For every video shared, there are thousands of people being triggered :lol:

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Nobody really takes the 'football coming home' seriously do they? The actual song was written as irony coz England never wins! You just have to look at all the 'memes' floating around to know it's tongue in cheek. Some of those are hilarious.......
Loads who aren't English apparantly do. Even when the joke is pointed out.

But let's not ruin their narrative!

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
So we are not laughing at England then?

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
For me the eye opener is that english are for a part, cocky basterds and precious little flowers. Basically, brazilians on steroids.:smirk:

Josep Dowling

I’m stunned. Don’t think I have ever been so proud of an England side. It doesn’t even matter if we dont get to the final for me. This squad has made people enjoy international football again.

That’s what it’s all about, the whole nation unites to watch football. I was hugging City and Liverpool fans yesterday when Alli scored.

Summit

It was written because we were hosting Euro 96, so football was coming home.

Anyhow, I do think the way the song has been blasted out every time England scores has something to do with this taking off again. Blame the Russians.

Josep Dowling

Personally I am very unimpressed. Obviously delighted to keep plugging along and progressing, much like I was in our Europa campaign, but I haven't been impressed. Putting bias aside, if I was a neutral there's not a single player I'd look at in this side and think "ooh he looks interesting" apart from maybe Maguire or Pickford (who I never particularly rated). Our matches always feel like two average teams not doing much, but if that wins us the cup who cares. It just doesn't fill me with confidence against France/Belgium (if we get there!)
Spot on, but I feel that is making this journey even better. So are so crap but in the semi final :lol:. Certainly better than looking good but being knocked out like many teams.

RedTillI'mDead

A Key Tool
I’m stunned. Don’t think I have ever been so proud of an England side. It doesn’t even matter if we dont get to the final for me. This squad has made people enjoy international football again.

That’s what it’s all about, the whole nation unites to watch football. I was hugging City and Liverpool fans yesterday when Alli scored.
Eww I hope you had a good scrub afterwards....

JPRouve

Scout
How very dare you.

I'm offended by that. Next you'll be telling me we can't handle our drink too!
I was actually thinking about that yesterday. You guys drink like you support England, nothing or too much.

Fener1907

It's getting tasty in here. Redcafe making up for the lack of action on the streets of Russia.

Pwopa naughtee.

togg

It was written because we were hosting Euro 96, so football was coming home.

Anyhow, I do think the way the song has been blasted out every time England scores has something to do with this taking off again. Blame the Russians.
Actually, the lyrics speak of hopes always being dashed since 1966 "Three lions on the shirt, Jules Rimet still gleaming, Thirty years of hurt, never stopped me dreaming'.

But hey, songs eh? Like abstract paintings....always open to interpretation.

fergosaurus

It's getting tasty in here. Redcafe making up for the lack of action on the streets of Russia.

Pwopa naughtee.
This will keep me ticking over until Love Island tonight, which will find it hard to compete with the bitchiness of this thread.

stepic

People take football way too seriously sometimes. Lol @ this thread, jesus

Acole9

Outstanding
One week to go until Harry Kane lifts the World Cup and Gareth Southgate announces that we've not just won it for the nation but for the whole of the United Kingdom ;).

buckooo1978

bottom line is this is a forum - the only thing you are guilty of is having an opinion and possibly smelling like Iron Bru

good post and the people taking this thread too seriously should avoid it

even the Liverpool fans in here aren't so precious about the RAWK thread - embarrassing

I might regret posting on this thread but here goes.
As a Scotsman, I've been happy to see England do well so far. There's been so many Utd players playing for England over the years and I always want them to do well. Some England teams are more likeable than others and this is an extremely likeable one, in my opinion. Love Southgate and I've enjoyed watching Lingard and Young whilst shouting at the tv because Rashford hasn't been subbed on yet. The team reminds me of the 1990 squad, who were much unfancied, and they are my favourite England team ever.
For all that I've been happy for England so far, I'm not sure that I want them to win the World Cup. And in doing so I don't believe that makes me anti-English, racist or any less of a United supporter which some on here seem to think.
I don't think England have been lucky - an opportunity has presented itself and they've been prepared to take it. Good for them. If they go on to win it, I'll congratulate them and look to the positives for United. Which I'm sure almost everyone on here in a similar position to me would do.

Summit

Actually, the lyrics speak of hopes always being dashed since 1966 "Three lions on the shirt, Jules Rimet still gleaming, Thirty years of hurt, never stopped me dreaming'.

But hey, songs eh? Like abstract paintings....always open to interpretation.
Yes the words of the song go on about hurt ect, but the chorus "It's coming home" was being spoken before the song was even written. People were saying it after we won the right to host Euro 96, Football was coming home to its birthplace. Baddiel and Skinner used this.
http://theyflysohigh.co.uk/euro-96/4547388296
The 1996 UEFA European Football Championship (Euro 96) was hosted by England, who won the right to host the tournament ahead of bids from Austria, Portugal and the Netherlands. It was the tenth European Football Championship, which is held every four years and endorsed by UEFA. It was the first to use the "Euro" name, and the first where 16 nations competed. The tournament's final stages took place between 8 June and 30 June 1996. The slogan of the tournament was "Football Comes Home", as England is where the rules of the game were first standardised.

Last edited:

Reiver

bottom line is this is a forum - the only thing you are guilty of is having an opinion and possibly smelling like Iron Bru

good post and the people taking this thread too seriously should avoid it

even the Liverpool fans in here aren't so precious about the RAWK thread - embarrassing
Thanks for reply buck, but for God's sake man, it's Irn Bru. And yes, I do smell of it .:)

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Does Fergie want England to win the world cup and if not is he in the wrong?
He'd be happy for the United lads I think like he was for Nani and Ronaldo when they won the Euros. I hope he's far enough to have enjoyed this World Cup.

JPRouve

Scout
I imagine that since Scotland aren't in the WC he has a preference for England but he likes France too.:D

Minimalist

Mental thread now. That Barca fella needs to wind his neck in with the bigotry shouts. :lol:

InspiRED

Supports
Outraged snowflakes
Think there's a fair bit of truth here - there's always a slight victim attitude with the English. Instead of celebrating your own success there's always a bit of a mocking, smug superiority to the wins. It's like, how you're viewed by others is as important as how you view yourselves..
:lol: Steady on there Freud!

Nothing smug and mocking about saying English players are all shit and we've luckily fluked every game while being dire to watch of course!

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
What on earth does this have to do with anything?

Nobody is saying that other people from the home nations (or non English Man Utd fans) should want England to win the WC. Everyone is saying that is is pretty funny that you would spend such a large amount of your life following an English football team playing in England with lots of English players and set up by Englishmen, with over 50% of its managers historically being English and then actively wanting that team to fail miserably from the beginning, especially when your own country isn't in the cup. Apparently though, Man Utd basically has no link to England according to some on here.

I'm sure Ferguson wouldn't be sitting at home hoping so much that England get beaten in the WC, especially if Scotland were not there.

This is what I find both hilarious and strange in equal measure.

Some excellent wumming from some though I have to say.

fergosaurus

I know this doesn't prove whether he would support England one way or another which highlights your point that it's not a foregone conclusion that he does.

InspiRED

Supports
Outraged snowflakes
I’m certain that Fergie would want Rashford and Lingard to win the World Cup given he helped nurture them into professionals.
I actually saw it on facebook that Fergie's had 'It's coming home" tattooed on his forehead.

Could have been fake news though.

Can7onA

wow this thread is far more serious than it should be

a lot of touchy English fans

I remember the same England fans making life Hell for David Beckham - I remember singing You can stick your fecking England up your arse with tens of thousands of others at Old Trafford. I remember poor Phil Neville getting destroyed for making a mistake - I remember Rooney being made a scapegoat too.

quite simply given English arrogance, the Rule Britannia crowd, the English media, the way many many England fans have treated international tournaments like another World War, the historical context it's natural to have some friendly rivalry

on arrogance, this has been the most humble England team for a long-time and Southgate is a likeable guy. It's brilliant to see Young and Lingard doing well.

at the same time, this thread should be one marked by humour - not by people getting their panties in a twist - it's like asking United fans to support Liverpool in the CL final as they are both from the North West
This.