Let's all Laugh at England

Fridge chutney

Do your best.
I just laughed at England in the last match because most of them (including the English press) loathe Neymar because of his divings, but they quivered with pure joy when their players made to the quarter after horrible English players' acting. It was like watching 11 Neymars wearing the English jersey, except for the fact no one of them come close to him in terms of skills. By the way, they acted worse too. :lol:
Reading delusional salt like this makes victory yesterday all the more gratifying.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Reading delusional salt like this makes victory yesterday all the more gratifying.
I'm still a bit angry about the match. Colombia were shameful.

EDIT - Also, you seem a sensible sort. Stop saying 'salt' - it's cringey.

Scarlet_Emperor

Supports
CR Flamengo
Actually I don't really care whether England made to the quarter or not. Colombia or England? Both of them could've been there and that's fine for me. My point here is it's funny to see how people change their mind easily and apply double standards when people wear different jersey. :lol:

Fridge chutney

Do your best.
Actually I don't really care whether England made to the quarter or not. Colombia or England? Both of them could've been there and that's fine for me. My point here is it's funny to see how people change their mind easily and apply double standards when people wear different jersey. :lol:
If you're Brazilian, how could you support what you saw from Colombia yesterday? It reminds me of the quarters of world cup 2014 when Colombia targeted Neymar all match (because they couldn't match Brazil on the pitch) and ended up injuring him. He missed the next match against Germany and we all know what happened then.

cyril C

Nonsense. Nationality is irrelevant.
Correct, there is nothing to do with Nationality. In fact, even when someone is supporting England (relatively speaking), one cannot stand the arrogance of English fans/press that the WC is WON as soon as group stage is cleared. There is Last 16, QF, then Semi. Only when you reach Semi that you can start dreaming.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Correct, there is nothing to do with Nationality. In fact, even when someone is supporting England (relatively speaking), one cannot stand the arrogance of English fans/press that the WC is WON as soon as group stage is cleared. There is Last 16, QF, then Semi. Only when you reach Semi that you can start dreaming.
It's coming home, mate.

Scarlet_Emperor

Supports
CR Flamengo
On a serious note, if you're Brazilian, how could you support what you saw from Colombia yesterday? It reminds me of the quarters of world cup 2014 when Colombia targeted Neymar all match (because they couldn't match Brazil on the pitch) and ended up injuring him. He missed the next match against Germany and we all know what happened then.
To be honest, I dislike what I saw from Colombia and England yesterday. English players were also trying to cheat with faking divings, acting a lot on the pitch like Henderson did simulating being hit on the head by Barrios (clearly overracting there)... exactly what Neymar has done in this tournament and is hated for it. Don't get me wrong: I don't approve of all this Neymar's acting and he is very criticized even among many Brazilian fans because of it. But I don't think it's fair when people only point out Neymar's faults and just ignore when other players do the same, especially if they play for their national team. That's why I'd like to draw the attention.

As to Colombia football, I don't really dislike them. Yeah... it's true Zuñiga was a real cnut there and should be not only sent off but severely punished for his action. However, apart from it, we weren't much better than them. It was a real battle there and James was also severely hunted. The referee should've kept stricter discipline in that match since the beginning and I honestly think Mark Geiger should've done the same yesterday. It's very likely both teams would try to play for real and we could've watched a game. Both Colombia and England can do better than what was shown in R16.

By the way, I don't think Neymar would change a lot that semifinal. It was a blend of emotional instability, lack of organization and other factors. Colombia can't be held totally responsible for what happened with Brazil after.

Judas

Open to offers
Says fecking who? We hardly ever clear the group stage! Show me the rulebook of when you can do certain things without being labelled arrogant.

I've always thought this place was full of whoppers, but this summer has truly cemented it.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Quote one person who made that claim, just one. It could be someone in the media or on this forum. Prove to us you're not a donut.

Judas

Open to offers
What I'm miffed by is people from other countries telling English people when they can be excited. Every nation has different goals when it comes to the world cup, yeah everyone dreams of winning it (which is apparently arrogant and wrong), but realistically its only possible for 4 or so teams, England aren't one of them (usually this times its coming home). So no one is going to apologise for getting this far for once, or especially for winning a penalty shootout which has such significance for people at least those who have seen most of the traumas over the last 20 odd years.

Moby

Dick
How many bitter non-England fans were waiting to shit on English football?! The reaction here would have been intolerable from some. Thankfully we got over the line.
What the hell have England ever done for anyone to be bitter about it. We love watching England fail because the meltdowns are super fun, especially after all the hype that is created before every tournament. Same as Liverpool every season ever really.

Classical Mechanic

Judas

Open to offers
What the hell have England ever done for anyone to be bitter about it. We love watching England fail because the meltdowns are super fun, especially after all the hype that is created before every tournament. Same as Liverpool every season ever really.
Where was the hype before the tournament? You mean excitement for the world cup which every nation has who is taking part?

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
We've very carefully cultivated our laughing stock status, it's taken planning and no small amount of skill to find new ways to embarrass ourselves in front of everybody :lol:

However where was the big hype and expectation before this tournament? I didn't see anyone whatsoever bigging us up.

Moby

Dick
Where was the hype before the tournament? You mean excitement for the world cup which every nation has who is taking part?
We've very carefully cultivated our laughing stock status, it's taken planning and no small amount of skill to find new ways to embarrass ourselves in front of everybody :lol:

However where was the big hype and expectation before this tournament? I didn't see anyone whatsoever bigging us up.
Kane bags a hat trick of penalties vs Tunisia or whatever it was and the social media is flooded with cries of it's coming home. Let's not pretend that you lot aren't premature and get ahead of yourselves as per the usual.

Classical Mechanic

England have won the World Cup. Liverpool are one of the most successful sides in the history of European football. Yes, both sides have fallen off since and do provide comedic moments. That said, the hype and arrogance thing is completely overplayed. Listen to the England team anthem '3 Lions', its satirises England's hapless fortunes since 66.

Granted that some fans are ridiculous (they are for all countries) and the Sun is an awful publication that shames us but it seems to me that the Home Nations fans channel a general anti-England feeling through our football team, regardless of the actual merit. The Twitter account @Kostur posted from yesterday showed the more extreme end of the dynamic.

Last edited:

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Oh yeah. Shit loads of hype before the tournament. Is there some secret media outlet I don't know about?

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
I wouldn't expect Ally Mccoist to be neutral about Scotland the same way I didn't expect Robbie Savage or Dean Saunders to be neutral about Wales though.

You want Gary Linekar to remain unbiased about England winning a World Cup penalty shootout because of the Scottish public that may be watching and annoyed?
He can be as biased as he likes. But it’s pretty clear why neutrals who have no skin in the game - who have no choice but to watch the same coverage - might roll their eyes from time to time when listening to the commentary.

Barca84

Supports
Doesn't support Barca
England have won the World Cup. Liverpool are one of the most successful sides in the history of European football. Yes, both sides have fallen off since and do provide comedic moments. That said, the hype and arrogance thing is completely overplayed. Listen to the England team anthem '3 Lions', its satirises England's hapless fortunes since 66.

Granted that some fans are ridiculous (they are for all countries) and the Sun is an awful publication that shames us but it seems to me that the Home Nations fans channel a general anti-England feeling through our football team, regardless of the actual merit. The Twitter account @Kostur posted from yesterday showed the more extreme end of the dynamic.

As I posted yesterday that account is absolutely fecking appalling and shouldn't be given the time of day on here or anywhere.

Classical Mechanic

He can be as biased as he likes. But it’s pretty clear why neutrals who have no skin in the game - who have no choice but to watch the same coverage - might roll their eyes from time to time when listening to the commentary.
Scottish neutrals in an football match involving England must be in the minority, unless the Scottish people have changed immeasurably since I lived there 15 years ago.

'No choice' is nonsense too. I don't like punditry before during and after a game so I don't watch it.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Scottish neutrals in an football match involving England must be in the minority, unless the Scottish people have changed immeasurably since I lived there 15 years ago.

'No choice' is nonsense too. I don't like punditry before during and after a game so I don't watch it.
What about the commentary?

Classical Mechanic

What about the commentary?
If it really bothers you then stream it. Get an IPTV subscription and you can watch many different versions of the broadcast.

As someone mentioned, you had Robbie Savage off his nut when Wales were doing in the Euros. If you want to complain about such partisan punditry then fine but to then conflate it to a broader narrative about England being 'arrogant' 'entitled' and having 'no right' etc, it becomes distasteful and slightly more sinister, in my opinion.

In reality it is just people acting like they do all over the world, not entirely rationally when their own nation is involved.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
If it really bothers you then stream it. Get an IPTV subscription and you can watch many different versions of the broadcast.

As someone mentioned, you had Robbie Savage off his nut when Wales were doing in the Euros. If you want to complain about such partisan punditry then fine but to then conflate it to a broader narrative about England being 'arrogant' 'entitled' and having 'no right' etc, it becomes distasteful and slightly more sinister, in my opinion.
I haven't conflated it with any narrative.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Yes it is, therefore the 'i support england but the thought of cheering player X' is so hypocritical .
Yes, that's my point. That's literally what I was saying.

For me, it's United by quite a way before it's England, thus cheering on players that I don't like, or at the least that I frequently watch and hope they do badly is an odd feeling.

For lots of United fans that haven't been following the club for as long, or perhaps as intensely, that feeling won't be there, and I understand that.

Stanley Road

Renaissance Man
Yes, that's my point. That's literally what I was saying.

For me, it's United by quite a way before it's England, thus cheering on players that I don't like, or at the least that I frequently watch and hope they do badly is an odd feeling.

For lots of United fans that haven't been following the club for as long, or perhaps as intensely, that feeling won't be there, and I understand that.
Well i went to see united for the first time in 1976 and have supported them to this day. With England i don't care who wears the shirt, whi scores the goals or who gets all the praise. I just hope they do well. What i read on here seems to be unique to English people.

Classical Mechanic

I haven't conflated it with any narrative.
I wasn't really accusing you of doing so. Just that I found your problem with the commentary a bit weak and then I went of on the broader point. I think you a very objective poster Probably one of the most objective on the site. You have a much better memory than me on past games too.