Let's all Laugh at England

Castia

Fair play to them, i had zero confidence before the world cup started.

Also It's nice to see a line up where i don't hate 3-4 of the players.

cyril C

honestly doesnt even matter if we lose to sweden if we dont have to have this fecking penalty curse hanging over us anymore.
It could end up on penalty against Sweden or even against Croatia. Curse doesn't disappear easily.

KingMinger22

City >>> United. Moaning twat
This thread is pathetic.

I’ll never understand why people from the home nations like to see England fail.

We are culturally almost identical nations with deep socio economic and ethnic ties. Most people have friends and family across borders.

If the country with 10x more people can’t achieve anything in football, how could the less populated versions do it??

A few of my Irish mates here actually are supportive of England in this World Cup. Note the phrase “supportive” not quite “supporting”. After all, we field a team with names like Kane and Maguire in it.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
This thread is pathetic.

I’ll never understand why people from the home nations like to see England fail.

We are culturally almost identical nations with deep socio economic and ethnic ties. Most people have friends and family across borders.

If the country with 10x more people can’t achieve anything in football, how could the less populated versions do it??

A few of my Irish mates here actually are supportive of England in this World Cup. Note the phrase “supportive” not quite “supporting”.
In short? Because England/Britain/UK are completely synonymous in the eyes of 'home nations' media outlets, never mind abroad. I would also say that politically, and to and extent socially, Scotland and England have never been as different as they are now.

I say all this quite liking the Southgate side, giving youth a chance, mostly likeable players including the manager.

KingMinger22

City >>> United. Moaning twat
In short? Because England/Britain/UK are completely synonymous in the eyes of 'home nations' media outlets, never mind abroad. I would also say that politically, and to and extent socially, Scotland and England have never been as different as they are now.

I say all this quite liking the Southgate side, giving youth a chance, mostly likeable players including the manager.
Which is still not that different at all. Within England itself you have the same divisions from town to town, house to house even.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
For me it's about United before England (I'm English) - so while I want England to win, when I see Henderson, Walker, or even Eric Dier and Dele Alli on a pitch, I find it very difficult to like them.

I don't like rival's players, and this is louder to me than the fact I'm English.

So in a way it's win - win. If we win then great, if not, there's plenty of England players, and fans, that I fecking can't stand.

Oh, and God Save The Queen, in this day and age of Brexit and the new-right... Nah.

jymufc20

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
He was injured. Do you really, truly think he would have rejected it for no reason ?
If i was a striker playing for England i would take a penalty wether i had a little knock or not. He shit out and it could of cost us, he should of been taking Henderson's penalty.

Judas

Open to offers
For me it's about United before England (I'm English) - so while I want England to win, when I see Henderson, Walker, or even Eric Dier and Dele Alli on a pitch, I find it very difficult to like them.

I don't like rival's players, and this is louder to me than the fact I'm English.

So in a way it's win - win. If we win then great, if not, there's plenty of England players, and fans, that I fecking can't stand.

Oh, and God Save The Queen, in this day and age of Brexit and the new-right... Nah.
I get this opinion, but probably felt it a lot more in the past when it was players like Gerrard, Ashley Cole, Terry etc. that generation was full of unlikeable players, but this one, for me anyway, not so much. Just seem like a much more likeable and grounded group.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
If i was a striker playing for England i would take a penalty wether i had a little knock or not. He shit out and it could of cost us, he should of been taking Henderson's penalty.
It would be selfish to do that. If you have an injury and you know it’ll affect your ability to take a penalty, the best thing to do for the team is to admit that and allow an injury free teammate to step up.

Stanley Road

Renaissance Man

How did you feel cheering on a scouser in a United shirt for years? The Irony

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
This thread is pathetic.

A few of my Irish mates here actually are supportive of England in this World Cup. Note the phrase “supportive” not quite “supporting”. After all, we field a team with names like Kane and Maguire in it.
In previous tournaments the media used to wind me up to the point where I was quite happy to see England knocked out so we can get on with enjoying the tournament rather than getting 1 minute of half-time analysis of another game and 14 minutes of interviews from the England camp. But this time they were much more balanced and, having warmed to Southgate, was fairly neutral on England's chances (whereas I'd say many Scots who care don't want them to win). But it was hard to avoid getting annoyed by the jingoistic commentary last night. Even the usually more rational types like Lineker lost all semblance of objectivity or balance. It's understandable because they are the voice of the nation and should give it laldy, but the other home nations who have to watch the same coverage will generally struggle to identify with that sort of giddiness and will start to resent it when the bullshitometer goes off the charts.

Djemba-Djemba

In previous tournaments the media used to wind me up to the point where I was quite happy to see England knocked out so we can get on with enjoying the tournament rather than getting 1 minute of half-time analysis of another game and 14 minutes of interviews from the England camp. But this time they were much more balanced and, having warmed to Southgate, was fairly neutral on England's chances (whereas I'd say many Scots who care don't want them to win). But it was hard to avoid getting annoyed by the jingoistic commentary last night. Even the usually more rational types like Lineker lost all semblance of objectivity or balance. It's understandable because they are the voice of the nation and should give it laldy, but the other home nations who have to watch the same coverage will generally struggle to identify with that sort of giddiness and will start to resent it when the bullshitometer goes off the charts.
I say this genuinely, not trying to wind you up or anything, but do you not think if Scotland qualified for a tournament it would be exactly the same? You'd have Scottish pundits celebrating Scottish success?

I seem to remember the likes of Robbie Savage being biased towards Wales at the last Euros, understandably so or Ian Dowie screaming YES when Northern Ireland scored in the group stages.

That's just normal isn't it?

Infra-red

I say this genuinely, not trying to wind you up or anything, but do you not think if Scotland qualified for a tournament it would be exactly the same? You'd have Scottish pundits celebrating Scottish success?

I seem to remember the likes of Robbie Savage being biased towards Wales at the last Euros, understandably so or Ian Dowie screaming YES when Northern Ireland scored in the group stages.

Yes.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
This thread is pathetic.

I think it has less to do with their background and more the fact that this is a relatively likeable English team, largely shorn of egotistical "stars". Also, the failures of recent years have taken the edge off some of the English media's more obnoxious tendencies in terms of their expectations, which makes English wins rather more palatable.

Plus, watching England going out to Iceland was probably peak schadenfreude. For it to be that fun again England probably need to have a bit of success first.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers

Absolutely. But obviously it's a long time since Scotland qualified for anything so we are merely spectators at another team's party and our interest is more about enjoying the football rather than any particular allegiance.

Fridge chutney

Do your best.
I don't mind England doing well, because you deserve to do well with your squad, but the bias from the commentary (Lawrenson, Murphy etc) and punditry is bloody nauseating. Very hypocritical which annoys a lot of people.
Why does this matter? Bias from commentary is to be expected. It is certainly prevalent in Latin America where the commentary teams and media don't come close to trying to hide their biases. Why should they? It's a time when an entire nation can get behind a football team. Why should England be exempt from this?

Djemba-Djemba

Absolutely. But obviously it's a long time since Scotland qualified for anything so we are merely spectators at another team's party and our interest is more about enjoying the football rather than any particular allegiance.
Exactly.

So I'd say it's more Scotland's long absence from tournament football that makes you think the punditry last night was "Jingoistic" rather than just normal. If Scotland ever qualify again you'll be the exact same.

Every other country left in the World Cup will be optimistic and passionate about their team, England are no different.

Fridge chutney

Do your best.
Don’t think I’ve ever watched an England game in an Irish pub where so many people were openly rooting for England. Definitely an unusual experience.

That said, the Colombian equaliser got a huge cheer but I put that down to everyone having a great time and being pleased about another 30-40 minutes of pints/football. I know that’s why I was cheering anyway!
That's why the world cup is amazing! I probably enjoy it more when my team isn't playing. It's usually tortuous to watch England, and yesterday was no different.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Exactly.

So I'd say it's more Scotland's long absence from tournament football that makes you think the punditry last night was "Jingoistic" rather than just normal. If Scotland ever qualify again you'll be the exact same.

Every other country left in the World Cup will be optimistic and passionate about their team, England are no different.
But not everyone has to watch another country's TV for the coverage of the World Cup.

norm87cro

Seriously mate? Croatia are a top side and I'm not even bias since I'm not too fond of my national team. The likes of Modric, Perisic, Kovacic, Rakitić, Mandukic and Kalinic all play for big clubs. Others play for very decent teams around Europe. And Lovren plays for the dippers
It is great to win the world cup by beating:

Panama
Tunisia
Colombia
Sweden
Croatia
Uruguay

It would be even greater if it was Japan and Australia instead of Colombia and Croatia, but this is not possible any more.

Cheers!

Djemba-Djemba

But not everyone has to watch another country's TV for the coverage of the World Cup.
I wouldn't expect Ally Mccoist to be neutral about Scotland the same way I didn't expect Robbie Savage or Dean Saunders to be neutral about Wales though.

You want Gary Linekar to remain unbiased about England winning a World Cup penalty shootout because of the Scottish public that may be watching and annoyed?

jymufc20

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
It would be selfish to do that. If you have an injury and you know it’ll affect your ability to take a penalty, the best thing to do for the team is to admit that and allow an injury free teammate to step up.
I would take an injured Vardy over Henderson.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
:lol:

Thanks ....it's lovely to know we're supported over the border too ;)
Just thought I’d share the love :)

I mean, you did take your share of oil and tartan underpants as well, but I’m not complaining
thieving tory wankers
Oh shit half of my family live in cheshire... balls

Rolandofgilead

Trigger Happy Priest Killer
Scout
Supports
Weymouth
So before the tournament a lot of people on here were saying it was the most underwhelming England team for blah blah blah.

Then when we make it to the quarter final it's because we haven't played anybody and blah blah blah.

I am proud of this England team and the spirit they have shown. Anybody who claims to be an England fan and isn't proud of them can do one.

Charles Miller

Since my idiom is Portuguese, when the crowd is singing it sounds to me like this: "ohhhhh Ingaland Ingaland Ingaland". Great fans. And not all of them are drunk people.

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo

I can understand not liking Henderson/Dier/Alli (not that I dislike them myself), but what the hell has Kyle Walker ever done to you :lol:

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
The annoying thing about the anti-England lot on here is you support a club from England for feck sake. It's like me supporting Barcelona and then laughing when Spain get knocked out. Proper weird behaviour
I’ve always had a soft spot for England but their fans especially during the golden generation era has made it difficult to properly support the English!

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
I hate the stupid band and awful songs that we sing. Can they not try and introduce something new each tournament?

Scarlet_Emperor

Supports
CR Flamengo
I just laughed at England in the last match because most of them (including the English press) loathe Neymar because of his divings, but they quivered with pure joy when their players made to the quarter after horrible English players' acting. It was like watching 11 Neymars wearing the English jersey, except for the fact no one of them come close to him in terms of skills. By the way, they acted worse too. :lol: