Let's all laugh at Germany

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
Oh “I’m sure some did”. Complete rubbish. While a minority, the racist supporters in the English supporter base are far more vocal than they should be. People pick on Germany because of an unfortunate era in the 30s and 40s, but their public has not shat on the growing diversity within their squad and Germany as usual, doing it better to completely phase out the hooligans and racist pricks that seem to be still hanging around the English game.
What about France? Unfortunately it’s a societal issue everywhere.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.rf...obe-racist-abuse-of-football-stars-on-twitter

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Oh “I’m sure some did”. Complete rubbish. While a minority, the racist supporters in the English supporter base are far more vocal than they should be. People pick on Germany because of an unfortunate era in the 30s and 40s, but their public has not shat on the growing diversity within their squad and Germany as usual, doing it better to completely phase out the hooligans and racist pricks that seem to be still hanging around the English game.
Understatement of the century.

Not that I mean to pick on or direct that at anyone 80 years later, but feck me sideways.

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
but their public has not shat on the growing diversity within their squad
You'd be surprised how often you hear "too man turks/black people" when watching football with older folk or at public viewing events in germany...

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
You'd be surprised how often you hear "too man turks/black people" when watching football with older folk or at public viewing events in germany...
And the „they are not singing the anthem!“ squad

JakeTheRed

Somehow, I don't quite agree with describing the German nazi regime in the 30s/40s as 'unfortunate'.

Giggsy13

Understatement of the century.

Not that I mean to pick on or direct that at anyone 80 years later, but feck me sideways.
And yet racism still exists today in England. OP having a go at Germany, is a compete lack of self awareness. Putting the racial issues aside, 4 world cups and 3 euros, England is not even a real rival to Germany.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I think when talking about racism it's a grave mistake to ever assume its completely phased out. In a country with over 80 million people it's always present, that's just common sense. The only question is to what degree. And that's hard to judge when you and your closer circle are white and never really experience how PoC are actually treated. I haven't heard about Sane, Rüdiger or Gnabry being abused at the Euros, but was that because it didn't happen or because they didn't feel like talking about it? I don't know.

Classical Mechanic

A very high profile German player actually accused the actual German national team of being racist not long ago. Germany also has a much more significant problem with hooliganism at club level than there is in England. It almost doesn't exist in England anymore.

You can read the EU report in to racism against black people in Europe if you want. It finds that racism against black people is much more common in Germany than in it is in the UK by almost every measure, more verbal abuse, more physical attacks, more discrimination in access to housing and a more racist police force.

https://fra.europa.eu/sites/default/files/fra_uploads/fra-2018-being-black-in-the-eu_en.pdf

One thing that is true is that non-British people consume the UK media far more than than they do for any other European country so what goes on in other countries goes under the radar a lot more. The big issue for me here is that these narratives are being used as a vehicle for bigotry against the English people at large but when you look deeper into the truth about racism in Europe the reality is a lot different. People accuse the English of an exceptionalist attitude but the irony is that many people are proving their own exceptionalist attitudes through this criticism.

Marcus Rashford's mural in Manchester was defaced with a racist slur after the game, since then its become somewhere for people to gather and cover the slur with messages of support for Marcus and the other black players that missed a penalty. I'd prefer to see this as a metaphor for where we are now. A toxic minority that will be drowned out.

Again I'll say that all this doesn't mean that we don't have significant problems in England with racism. We still have a long way to go.

Last edited:

antohan

And yet racism still exists today in England. OP having a go at Germany, is a compete lack of self awareness. Putting the racial issues aside, 4 world cups and 3 euros, England is not even a real rival to Germany.
OP is me, Uruguayan, having a bit of banter.

If anything, it's pretty obvious they don't have that 1966 monkey on their back (as @Kasper 's clip nicely illustrated). They should, they should want England to beat someone, anyone (other than Germany, of course, been there done that, for club and country) and do away with that ignominious record.

Who knows? Maybe we get @do.ob singing "It's coming Home" next Summer.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
A very high profile German player actually accused the actual German national team of being racist not long ago. Germany also has a much more significant problem with hooliganism at club level than there is in England. It almost doesn't exist in England anymore.

You can read the EU report in to racism against black people in Europe if you want. It finds that racism against black people is much more common in Germany than in it is in the UK by almost every measure, more verbal abuse, more physical attacks, more discrimination in access to housing and a more racist police force.

https://fra.europa.eu/sites/default/files/fra_uploads/fra-2018-being-black-in-the-eu_en.pdf

One thing is that true is that non-British people consume the UK media far more than than they do for any other country so what goes on in other countries goes under the radar a lot more. The big issue here for me is that these narratives are being used as a vehicle for bigotry against the English people at large but when you look deeper into the truth about racism in Europe the reality is a lot different. People accuse the English of an exceptionalist attitude but the irony is that many people are proving their own exceptionalist attitudes through this criticism.

Marcus Rashford's mural in Manchester was defaced with a racist slur after the game, since then its become somewhere for people to gather and cover the slur with messages of support for Marcus and the other black players that missed a penalty. I'd prefer to see this as a metaphor for where we are now. A toxic minority that will be drowned out.

Again I'll say that all this doesn't mean that we don't have significant problems in England with racism. We still have a long way to go.
Came in to say this. Also there are clubs in Germany, Dresden or Chemnitz for example, that are firmly in the hands of Nazi scum and nobody is really doing anything about it.
We Germans are really great at casting blame at others while pretending to be oh so tolerant and civilised. Most of the country was (rightfully) protesting Hungary’s terrible laws, while ignoring that gay men aren’t even allowed to donate blood in Germany.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
OP is me, Uruguayan, having a bit of banter.

If anything, it's pretty obvious they don't have that 1966 monkey on their back (as @Kasper 's clip nicely illustrated). They should, they should want England to beat someone, anyone (other than Germany, of course, been there done that, for club and country) and do away with that ignominious record.

Who knows? Maybe we get @do.ob singing "It's coming Home" next Summer.
Stars on the shirt: 4
Jules Rimet: gleaming
Years of hurt: 7

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Yeah, there was also that article from/about Rüdiger where he was talking about all the racism he's had to deal with all his life - in Germany, Italy, and England. Kinda as @do.ob says, just because it isn't reported as much doesn't mean it isn't there. Maybe it's a good sign that this is in the English news so much, maybe it means that they're stopping to simply accept all this racism as a given.

(Can't find the post about the article, but did find the thin itself: https://www.theplayerstribune.com/posts/antonio-ruediger-champions-league-soccer-racism-chelsea)

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Came in to say this. Also there are clubs in Germany, Dresden or Chemnitz for example, that are firmly in the hands of Nazi scum and nobody is really doing anything about it.
We Germans are really great at casting blame at others while pretending to be oh so tolerant and civilised. Most of the country was (rightfully) protesting Hungary’s terrible laws, while ignoring that gay men aren’t even allowed to donate blood in Germany.
I think that's true for basically every country. For some reason most people seem to find it incredibly hard to acknowledge discrimination, even if they reject racism.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
I think that's true for basically every country. For some reason most people seem to find it incredibly hard to acknowledge discrimination, even if they reject racism.
Yeah, probably. Similar to family members being racist. Suddenly very open minded people can become very defensive.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Just wanted to add, that it is probably very German of „us“ to make this a serious thread.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Yeah, there was also that article from/about Rüdiger where he was talking about all the racism he's had to deal with all his life - in Germany, Italy, and England. Kinda as @do.ob says, just because it isn't reported as much doesn't mean it isn't there. Maybe it's a good sign that this is in the English news so much, maybe it means that they're stopping to simply accept all this racism as a given.

(Can't find the post about the article, but did find the thin itself: https://www.theplayerstribune.com/posts/antonio-ruediger-champions-league-soccer-racism-chelsea)
However I have the feeling that this racism in Germany is not heavily triggered by events on the pitch, therefore I tend to agree with @do.ob that there was very little of it after Germany lost. Sane was massively and heavily criticised after the tournament for being totally useless, Rüdiger and Gündogan very little as I recall, but this came down to "why the f... is Löw playing that out of form guy" and not due to any racial discussion.

However we do occasionally have severe discussions about the questionable loyalty to their country about some players, Özil surely the most popular case due to his relation with Erdogan.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Same squad. Because clearly, those players don't sing BECAUSE they are turkish/black/generally not arian enough. :houllier:
Not necessarily.
Some people just think that certain players only play for Germany because of the money and prestige, but actually feel more connected to another nation. Not singing the hymn is seen as an indicator for this.

Those people don't have issues with people like Khedira or Can who sing the hymn and also otherwise appear to be happily seen as Germans

antohan

Just wanted to add, that it is probably very German of „us“ to make this a serious thread.
It is :(

Boring bastards, except for that nutter @JuveGER

That's one of the things that I always found really fun visiting/working in Germany. Amid all the logic, efficiency and taking things far too seriously, you always find non-conforming oddballs/outliers that stick out like a sore thumb. They are like Easter eggs.

I once spent an entire evening in Prague talking about football and women with an East German. He only spoke German, I can't speak a word of it, all sign language sitting and drinking on the steps of the Jan Hus statue.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I don't think germans are meant to sing, you need to have some self awareness and scrap the lyrics of your national anthem.

Giggs86

Let's face it, the anthem is absolute dogshit. Nothing like a true great anthem like Italy, Portugal and France.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Haven't you learned anything from Southgate?

repeat after me:

These - foreigners - just - don't - get - our - unique - sense - of - humour.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
This is a great thread. I approve of it

mshnsh

German's problem was their manager. Don't be surprised if they win Qatar 2022. This thread will become a joke.

England on the other hand with their self over rating, coming home nonsense and poor technical abilities, are likely to fail miserably unless they have the luck of the draw as in Russia and in the latest European Cup.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
German's problem was their manager. Don't be surprised if they win Qatar 2022. This thread will become a joke.

England on the other hand with their self over rating, coming home nonsense and poor technical abilities, are likely to fail miserably unless they have the luck of the draw as in Russia and in the latest European Cup.
This thread was always banter and not to be taken seriously. Me as a very serious German saw right through that

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
This is a great thread. I approve of it
Hey now! Gonna launch my „let’s all laugh at Real paying a fat Belgian perma-crook and a Welsh golfer a fortune“ thread tomorrow.

EVERYONE GETS A THREAD HERE GIORNO!!

FatTails

What signs of obsession did you see? I remember Goretzka making a heart sign with his fingers, but this wasn't his first political statement and I doubt it took away much of his concentration on the game to come up with it.
I like how casually he establishes causality.

“I am sure it affected their performances”. :lol:

On the thread itself, I’m happy to bet that Germany will win another major tournament before England does.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Please read the lyrics, it's a self deprecatory song. You just don't get it, because you're not German.
Yeah, no-one does self-deprecation better than the Germans. England take note!

That's not funny, boo!

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Hey now! Gonna launch my „let’s all laugh at Real paying a fat Belgian perma-crook and a Welsh golfer a fortune“ thread tomorrow.

EVERYONE GETS A THREAD HERE GIORNO!!
2:10