Let's all laugh at Germany

cyberman

German football needs a kick up the ass. They’re too comfortable with their back and forward football there that allows the likes of Sancho to shine but that’s not how football outside of Germany is gong

sport2793

Wow that's 2 in a row they have failed to qualify out of a group, has this happened before?

JuliaScalaR

Supports
noone in particular
Wow that's 2 in a row they have failed to qualify out of a group, has this happened before?
If I remember correctly, 2018 was the first time they didn't make it out of the group stages. So I'd say this is a new record.

Okey

All nicely planned by those schemers. This is their boycott. Well played!

Markolan

Supports
AC Milan
Well jokes apart, Germany in the last 4/5 years have been the most disappointing top NT in the world. I mean:

- 2018 World Cup: Eliminated from the group stage
- 2019 Nations League: finished dead last and saved from League B by UEFA
- 2020 Nations League: failed to qualify for Final Four after being trashed 6-0 by Spain
- Euro 2021: Eliminated in the Ro16
- 2022 Nations League: 3rd in the group behind Italy and Hungary
- 2022 World Cup: Out in the group stage

No other NT flopped in every single competition in recent years as they did..
Huge pressure on Euro 2024, in a year and a half, especially because they're the host nation.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Well jokes apart, Germany in the last 4/5 years have been the most disappointing top NT in the world. I mean:

- 2020 Nations League: failed to qualify for Final Four after being trashed 6-0 by Spain

Huge pressure on Euro 2024, in a year and a half, especially because they're the host nation.
I wasn’t disappointed by any of that.

OmarUnited4ever

Since the 2014 WC win and Euro 2016 Semi-final loss to France, as you mentioned above, they have been horrendous, they need an infusion of new blood in that team, not sure if Hansi survives this but usually German NT does not easily fire the manager, historically most managers of German NT have long/semi-long tenures

NoLogo

Amazingly bad, but also kudos to Japan, great group stage from them, they showed everything our team is lacking, determination, desire and being able to finish chances.

Major problem is our defense, it's really terrible. The only decent defender is Rüdiger.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts

Italy have been a joke aswell a fluke EC win doesn't make them look good all of a sudden.

Kaos

Thats what happens when your league is 4th tier at very best. Come at me BDL!

(They did get robbed by that Japan goal though)

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Thats what happens when your league is 4th tier at very best. Come at me BDL!

(They did get robbed by that Japan goal though)
Ball was actually in.

Pintu

I wasn’t disappointed by any of that.
To be fair, I was. I remember all too well 2017 when they won the Confederation Cup in Russia with a relatively young team at the same time their U-21 (actually played by under 23) were dominating their peers in Poland. We seriously thought they'd be close to some major silverware in the near future. Instead, they've never got close to any silverware since then. France and Italy won the major ones (WC and Euro) and France (them again) and Portugal won the smaller ones (NL 19 and NL 21).

redshaw

Well it's kind of expected by past performances but they did have the god of all gods managing them allegedly in Hansi Flick.

Pintu

Italy have been a joke aswell a fluke EC win doesn't make them look good all of a sudden.
Their WC record is atrocious. But calling their EC win a fluke is beyond ridiculous. They dominated most of their opponents in that tournament, they established a record 37 unbeaten run. They made top 4 of the last two NL editions.

diarm

Ah lads have they not suffered enough to be laughing at them?

There's a line here and you're all very close to crossing it.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
i feel the funny run thing rudiger did as he shepherded the ball out for a goal kick that time deserved more than this.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
Their WC record is atrocious. But calling their EC win a fluke is beyond ridiculous. They dominated most of their opponents in that tournament, they established a record 37 unbeaten run. They made top 4 of the last two NL editions.
They barely won vs Austria, won 2:1 vs Belgium, won vs Spain via Pens, won vs England via Pens. Where's that domination coming from?

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
That's what you get for not nominating even one Leverkusen player!

General_Elegancia

Chillin' with the Dugongs
Supports
Liverpool, AC Milan
Italy will revenge everything in 2026 and I want Italy to smash Germany in the next WC. Calcio’s young talents will fully grow in the next world cup and we will see it.

Markolan

Supports
AC Milan
**Italy have been a joke aswell** a fluke EC win doesn't make them look good all of a sudden.
1. Who cares about Italy? This is Germany thread.
2. "Fluke EURO 2021 winner" + 37-game unbeaten run (record in the history of this sport) + two qualification to the Nations League final four.. For sure better results overall than Germany and other top NTs.

I mean despite two failed attempt to be in the World Cup, the Euro win and 37-game unbeaten run are two things that will be relevant even in 40 years.. Unlike any result obtained so far in the last 5 years by "Belgium golden Generation" or England for example