Lets laugh at Liverpool

crossy1686

career ending
I honestly don’t feel like laughing at them anymore. They clearly have big problems now with their previously successful team falling apart, but it’s not too long back when we were in the same boat so to speak. They aren’t really at a point where they are even competing with us anymore, so it’s hard to feel anything more than a slight tinge of satisfaction and some sympathy actually.
After the way they've talked themselves up for so long as the greatest ever football team the world has ever seen, I'll be laughing at them for years to come yet.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
My Pool supporting mates at Uni were actually alright, maybe because they were shite at the time. But of course they were that kind of "i dun beliv it" people, the ones you could tell not very bright from miles away. The reason why I hang out with them was because we played World of Warcraft. One plastered his room with Gerrard/Pool posters even though the owners kept telling him to stop. I had neither the quality nor the quantity when it came into social circle. Once I graduated, my circle expanded but the Pool supporters I encountered are way more arrogant. For whatever reason they seem to think United supporters are glory hunters, not realizing they are armchair supporters themselves. I bet if they go to Liverpool they will get lost because their english is crap and they don't speak english there anyway.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Because that's his native tongue. He speaks fluent phlegm noises, not to be confused with Flemish.
It sounds awful really and it doesn't even sound like excitement/happiness, it sounds like a goose that is being chased around by a farmer with a knife.

Himannv

A slip-up for us at Anfield next week and they would be 11 points behind us with 1 more match for them to play than us. You make it sounds like they are near relegation.
Yeah, I get that, but they're a rubbish side mate. Even if they beat us, they're incredibly inconsistent and won't get the kind of points they need to catch up. They win one and lose the next one with no real bottle regardless of the situation. The only reason they are in with a chance of 4th is because the teams they're competing with for that 4th spot aren't exactly doing well this season either.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
The rivalry is kinda hard to explain to someone who hasn’t lived in UK or Ireland. I mean you get loads of liverpool supporters who live in greater Manchester. You bump into a bunch of friends on a night out in Liverpool - one is a Man United supporter. His life is not in danger. It’s not hate as in the Sopranos. It’s tribal. It’s being slagged in work, then going back to good humoured joint activity. It’s a culture thing. It’s a badge.

It is still important. It affects moods. It’s amazing how stuff like losing — or winning —- a derby game still hurts. It’s why the average ireland fan loves to see England lose. Yes we support English clubs (as well as Irish ones). But it’s not on a truly psycho level unless you are a National Front nutcase or something. When that liverpool fan was badly hurt in Italy all were appalled, and sympathetic to he and his family. The few who sing stupid songs and do airplane gestures etc are a daft and embarrassing minority.

I actually respect Liverpool as a great club, a real club. (Obviously City are just Disneyland frauds, so no respect at all). But nothing gives me more pleasure than seeing Liverpool Lose. The sale of club thread — and this one — really reinforces for me the need to spell out the basics for a large part of the fan base, to help them get a sense of the cultural nuances.

Last edited:

Tincanalley

By the way, talking about funny, did you hear Carra say on TV that he’d do a better job than VVD? I think he meant without the aid of a Time Machine.

Member 125398

I don't usually like Liverpool but I watched the highlights of the Madrid game and, to be honest, really enjoyed it.

cafecillos

The problem with Liverpool which is why they’ve never managed to form a dynasty is that they often lose one of their very best players to arguably bigger or more financially better of clubs:

2022: Mane
2018: Coutinho
2015: Sterling
2014: Suarez
2011: Torres
2010: Masherano
2009: Alonso

United have never had this issue with the exception of Ronaldo. All the players we lost were gotten rid of by the club (similar to City now who are the dominant force). Madrid, Barca, Bayern and other elite clubs have also never had this issue.

Liverpool just aren’t quite in the elite club bracket for me, and the status quo for them isn’t winning titles every season.

Mane leaving is obviously a massive reason for the problems they’ve had this season, he was such an excellent player for them. Would not be surprising if Salah went this Summer either.
Coutinho is very probably the best transfer ever for the selling club and the worst transfer ever for the buying club though, so hardly a problem for Liverpool, that.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
You can have a lot of friends supporting Liverpool but that doesn't mean you'd want them to do well in Europe :lol:. Football shouldn't be that serious to the point I'd feel pity for my best friend if his team struggles badly.

Mr.Hik

You can have a lot of friends supporting Liverpool but that doesn't mean you'd want them to do well in Europe :lol:. Football shouldn't be that serious to the point I'd feel pity for my best friend if his team struggles badly.
I agree. Some wierd opinions here.
I can't even watch cnuts on telly if they are not losing.

Mou Mou Land

By the way, talking about funny, did you hear Carra say on TV that he’d do a better job than VVD? I think he meant without the aid of a Time Machine.
I thought that was very funny, and that he meant at this very moment. I think VVD was the wrong target though - it should have been Gomez. I am 66 and have heart failure and would do a better job than he did on Tuesday night.

By the way, those who profess a love and admiration for the 'dippers have clearly never been chased across the park after a 'Stanley Knife' derby. :)

Fans of a certain age [we old buggers] will have different and sometimes entrenched views on their supporters, and vice versa no doubt. I'm not saying that it is how it should be now, but the 70's were not good times and memories are long.

Tincanalley

I thought that was very funny, and that he meant at this very moment. I think VVD was the wrong target though - it should have been Gomez. I am 66 and have heart failure and would do a better job than he did on Tuesday night.

By the way, those who profess a love and admiration for the 'dippers have clearly never been chased across the park after a 'Stanley Knife' derby. :)

Fans of a certain age [we old buggers] will have different and sometimes entrenched views on their supporters, and vice versa no doubt. I'm not saying that it is how it should be now, but the 70's were not good times and memories are long.
Mind that heart :)

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
To be honest having a lot of friends who are fans of a certain team should be extra motivation to hate on that team

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
To be honest having a lot of friends who are fans of a certain team should be extra motivation to hate on that team
Exactly! Here in the UK, there are a group of us who follow NFL and support all kinds of teams. Zero relationship to the City/state they are based, but will still rip into them.

It's the fun of supporting and rivalry, so long as it stays (relatively) civil at the end of it.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
This is the part where i point out real madrid's record when closing ties at the bernabeu with a commanding first leg lead since 14/15:
Schalke-Madrid 0-2, Madrid-Schalke 3-4
Roma-Madrid 0-2, Madrid-Roma 2-0(but watch the highlights if you can find them :lol: could have easily been madrid 2 roma 6)
Bayern-Madrid 1-2, Madrid-Bayern 1-2/4-2 a.e.t.
Juve-Madrid 0-3, Madrid-Juve 1-3(Oliver and the dumpster heart game!)
Bayern-Madrid 1-2, Madrid-Bayern 2-2(plus 2 stonewall penos denied to bayern, also Ulreich :lol:)
Ajax-Madrid 1-2, Madrid-Ajax 1-4
Atalanta-Madrid 0-1, Madrid-Atalanta 3-1
Chelsea-Madrid 1-3, Madrid-Chelsea 1-3/2-3 a.e.t.

Point is this tie is FAR from over :(

Abraxas

They've been nowhere near good enough tonight. Thought they might put on a bit of a performance and edge the game against a side that mentally will be thinking about just progressing through the tie. But no, awful in the circumstances.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
at least it will be warm in instanbul in june.

YikesSchmeics

I wonder if Souness is on duty anywhere tonight.

Had the temerity to say it could have been more than 7, with 8 shots on target. 6-2 wildly flattered those bastards. It legitimately could have been 10 on aggregate.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Wonder where all the Liverpool lads are hiding tonight… carragher, souness. Come out for your coke ZERO…

always_hoping

I wonder if Souness is on duty anywhere tonight.

Had the temerity to say it could have been more than 7, with 8 shots on target. 6-2 wildly flattered those bastards. It legitimately could have been 10 on aggregate.
No goal in two games for Liverpool and lucky they weren't well beaten in both matches. Goes to show how much of freak result that was against United, nothing more that squad of game raising pack of jokers now.