LGBT issues in Football

decorativeed

The last bit is spot on. Jumping to the conclusions about someone's political preferences because of one issue. People should realise some of us don't care about politics because they know it's all bollocks. Worked in media for a bit and I've seen right and left go together drinking after a heated debate laughing their arses off at the poor viewers.
Pot. Kettle. Black.

And if you don't care about politics, why are you here debating it?

Raredaredevil

What if the Germans ignores UEFA and decides to light up the Allianz Arena with rainbow colours, what can UEFA do? Kick them out of the competition? No they wouldn't. Just do it if they want to...it's their stadium no? They can do whatever they want with it.

UEFA are appeasing the fascists in Hungary. It's disgusting. I'm surprised that the democratically elected Mayor of Munchen allowed himself to be over ruled by a football organisation.

UEFA can't allow equality campaigns for 1 discriminated group and then not another.

The BLM taking a knee protest is political as it's about fighting for equality against systemic racism.

It's honestly getting so hard to watch top flight football and international football. It's fine when you're a kid. But as an adult and being aware of the corruption and shysters that run the game it really is stomach turning.
That's the point, I'm not sure I agree with any of the political issues in football. Let the players do it, or not do it, according to their choice, but don't plaster some logo all over your brand just to pretend like you care.

weltcheftrainer

Supports
schalke
What's the lecture that you're unhappy to receive?
There are many. I know what the elites want me to think, so I don't need the lectures.

But the point here is that there is a principle of not using sports to transport your political views. I totally agree with this approach. It's simple and fair.

On top of this over 99% of germans can't name any hungarian politician besides Mr Orban and they have no clue what the law is about which was now passed and they would have no answer to the question
why exactly this matter is so important compared to others. But of course today you will see many flags in the stadium and clueless people waving them.

Reactions: Sultan

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
These days if you say you're English you get arrested and thrown in jail.
Forgot the /s there, Jippy. :)

Coming back to an earlier point, religion isn't really outside this though. Race and sexual orientation are both simple biological facts, and hence any equity, diversity, and inclusion debate should treat them both the same way. Acceptance for debates on racism have gone the way of the dodo, primarily due to its 20th century history. But the reason why UEFA considers the treatment of sexual orientation a political issue, is because it is still considered a legitimate subject of political debate, which it wouldn't be if the major religions didn't have opinions against it. Although the issue to discuss should then be the influence of religions on contemporary society; not what individual religions may or not prescribe, or say in this or that book.

UDontMessWith24

I mean it's a bit hard to take moral lessons from you, isn't it
I couldn’t agree more. Homophobes should not be taught morality, but shunned from civilized societies where, much like racists, they do not belong. If that comes off as intolerant on my part, it’s because that’s exactly how I intended it to come off.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
I couldn’t agree more. Homophobes should not be taught morality, but shunned from civilized societies where, much like racists, they do not belong. If that comes off as intolerant on my part, it’s because that’s exactly how I intended it to come off.
Wow you're really hard, boy, go on!

90 + 5min

I don't get why they have bothered to ask UEFA in the first place.
What if the Germans ignores UEFA and decides to light up the Allianz Arena with rainbow colours, what can UEFA do? Kick them out of the competition? No they wouldn't. Just do it if they want to...it's their stadium no? They can do whatever they want with it.
I believe they should have gone with it. As you said, why even bother asking? It is Germany. A country where german rules should be applied. Unless UEFA own stadium in some way or there is clear rules forbidding this kind of things, I don't see how they could stop this?

They say it is political. Well, isn't going down on knee political? Isn't choice of stadiums or where Euro would be political. Everything is political.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
There are many. I know what the elites want me to think, so I don't need the lectures.

But the point here is that there is a principle of not using sports to transport your political views. I totally agree with this approach. It's simple and fair.

On top of this over 99% of germans can't name any hungarian politician besides Mr Orban and they have no clue what the law is about which was now passed and they would have no answer to the question
why exactly this matter is so important compared to others. But of course today you will see many flags in the stadium and clueless people waving them.
I am not sure why inclusion is a political point. Is racism? If it isn't, why is inclusion? Or if they're both, are you also against UEFA taking a stance against racism?

Second, so what's the lecture then? Do you feel lectured if players take a knee? Does lighting a stadium in rainbow colours feel like a lecture to you?

Also, I'm not sure why people would need to know the name of Hungarian politicians besides Orbán (who is anyway running the country in a very authoritarian way) to join a protest against a Hungarian homophobic law. Why are you bringing that up? Sounds like whataboutism to me.

You're just deflecting and obscuring with talk about 'elites' and being 'lectured' - but it's very simple:

Either you believe in equality or you don't.

Tomuś

You’d like that I’m sure, but you’re not worthy of anything more than derision, and you’re barely worth derision.
You’d like that I’m sure, but you’re not worthy of anything more than derision, and you’re barely worth derision.
Hmmmm so am I worth derision or not? Have you stopped taking pills or something?

DJ Jeff

Not so Jazzy
Soaring like a candy wrapper caught in an updraft
Ok then countries where you're outnumbered will treat you exactly like that

NotThatSoph

Yeah I really don't know. I just like Hungary and feel uncomfortable with Germans giving them a moral lesson.
Never mind you liking Hungary for now (Hungary or Orban?). Never mind you believing a million Christians are getting beheaded each year.

When are you going to tell us about why those Polish LGBT+ groups are getting attacked by the far right?

UDontMessWith24

Ok then countries where you're outnumbered will treat you exactly like that
I was very concerned there for a bit but after extensive research of international law I have concluded that i cannot be legally compelled to move to Hungary. I better go unpack now.

Semper Fudge

Adds nothing to the discussion

I'm a bit concerned that this post garnered a like.

Tomuś

Never mind you liking Hungary for now (Hungary or Orban?). Never mind you believing a million Christians are getting beheaded each year.

When are you going to tell us about why those Polish LGBT+ groups are getting attacked by the far right?
I explained it before. Lgbt groupsnhere are wankers who provoke immensely by doong shameful stuff. They could've well been bald guys protesting against lack of hair and if they'd done what lgbt group di, they would've been seen the same way.

NotThatSoph

I explained it before. Lgbt groupsnhere are wankers who provoke immensely by doong shameful stuff. They could've well been bald guys protesting against lack of hair and if they'd done what lgbt group di, they would've been seen the same way.
No, you didn't. You asked a rhetorical question, you didn't say what they actually did.

Go on, then. What are the LGBT+ groups doing to deserve the attacks?

Semper Fudge

Adds nothing to the discussion
Like what? Please elaborate.