Ligue 1 | French Football 2022/23

slored1

Where is our resident Pochettino fanboy to defend the crimes he comitted last year? They look and are playing amazingly well, such a well-oiled machine. Messi and Neymar are ready for the WC.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Says more about the league than Neymar. We'll see how he and his team does in the CL this time.
Yeah, because the first division of a football fanatic country with 67m inhabitants is obviously is absolutely shit.

People really think just because the EPL has 4-5 world class teams, the rest of the league is also better than the remaining top divisions. As if Neymar wouldn't absolutely destroy the English clubs outside top 6 the same way he destroys Lille and co. Well, maybe even a few clubs within the top 6

King Kendrick

Supports
Eredivisie
Says more about the league than Neymar. We'll see how he and his team does in the CL this time.
This is essentially the same team as last year which struggled heavily all season in Ligue 1. Early days yea but still they look massively improved.

BigDycheEnergy

I guess Pochettino was holding them back. Ligue 1 is looking even more like a walkover than previously.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Genuine question.

Do PSG fans care about Ligue 1? In the sense of every match day in the league I follow I never know what will happen and certain games worry me especially tough away ones.

PSG go into every game knowing they are going to win. Is that not extremely boring ? I feel like they don’t get to experience the emotions of a game ween In week out. It’s such a formality that it’s so boring.

TenonTen

Supports
Neutral
Yeah, because the first division of a football fanatic country with 67m inhabitants is obviously is absolutely shit.

People really think just because the EPL has 4-5 world class teams, the rest of the league is also better than the remaining top divisions. As if Neymar wouldn't absolutely destroy the English clubs outside top 6 the same way he destroys Lille and co. Well, maybe even a few clubs within the top 6
He ain't getting those numbers in the Champions League.

He's finishing has been embarrassingly poor in the last few CL campaigns, especially in the big games.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain

He's finishing has been embarrassingly poor in the last few CL campaigns, especially in the big games.
I can't remember the last CL campaign where he wasn't coming back from a recent injury in the big CL KO games. I think two seasons ago, Poch's first season and they got to the semi-final, he was great against Bayern but his finishing was indeed absolutely horrendous.

TenonTen

Supports
Neutral
I can't remember the last CL campaign where he wasn't coming back from a recent injury in the big CL KO games.
Remember in the 2020 CL run? When he was in great form but still couldn't finish his breakfast!

Also, staying fit is a major quality in a world class Footballer. Availability is a crucial metric in judging players.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Remember in the 2020 CL run? When he was in great form but still couldn't finish his breakfast!

Also, staying fit is a major quality in a world class Footballer. Availability is a crucial metric in judging players.
Oh, I agree 100%. I think PSG fans issue with Neymar has never really been about his production, but his availability. I think he's played less than half the games he could have at his time at PSG. When he came in out of shape last season, and then barely played, that was the all-time low, and I think it's been good for him this season, with the obvious motivation for the world cup. His style of play also contributes a lot to his injuries, and he's had some serious ones, I just hope they all get through the world cup in one piece, there's no team safe from having their potential drastically changed after that world cup in November.

FrankFoot

Supports
Neutral
Genuine question.

Do PSG fans care about Ligue 1? In the sense of every match day in the league I follow I never know what will happen and certain games worry me especially tough away ones.

PSG go into every game knowing they are going to win. Is that not extremely boring ? I feel like they don’t get to experience the emotions of a game ween In week out. It’s such a formality that it’s so boring.
PSG has mostly french fans, as they aren't very popular outside of France.

Their stadium is always full in Ligue 1 games, so i guess they do care.

SportingCP96

Supports
PSG has mostly french fans, as they aren't very popular outside of France.

Their stadium is always full in Ligue 1 games, so i guess they do care.
Or maybe they just want to see a team full of superstars score a bucket load of goals ?

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Or maybe they just want to see a team full of superstars score a bucket load of goals ?
PSG has some of the best fans/ultras in Europe, but it's also super commercial and touristic now as you'd expect from the city. But online, their fanbase is dwarfed by Neymar and Messi fans and there's a big division between the Neymar/Messi camp and PSG fans, it's kind of hilarious to keep up with. It's pretty similar to what you see with the CR7 fans and United fans here at times.

SportingCP96

Supports
PSG has some of the best fans/ultras in Europe, but it's also super commercial and touristic now as you'd expect from the city. But online, their fanbase is dwarfed by Neymar and Messi fans and there's a big division between the Neymar/Messi camp and PSG fans, it's kind of hilarious to keep up with. It's pretty similar to what you see with the CR7 fans and United fans here at times.
Did you see my previous question above?

I am generally curious what actually French PSG fans think in terms of that question.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Did you see my previous question above?

I am generally curious what actually French PSG fans think in terms of that question.
I don't really get the question, you want to know if there weren't those big stars, would people still go to the games? Yes they would, it would probably have far less tourists in the stadiums though. It also can mean they want to see stars scoring bucket load of goals, the two don't have to be mutually exclusive. And yes, they care about Ligue 1, unless you're talking about bandwagon fans, most fans remember PSG struggling, and Ligue 1 isn't quite to the Bayern Munich/Bundesliga level, PSG has lost 3 times the league since QSI has been here. It's not as exciting though for sure, but it's not just an issue in France or Germany at this point.

SportingCP96

Supports
I don't really get the question, you want to know if there weren't those big stars, would people still go to the games? Yes they would, it would probably have far less tourists in the stadiums though. It also can mean they want to see stars scoring bucket load of goals, the two don't have to be mutually exclusive. And yes, they care about Ligue 1, unless you're talking about bandwagon fans, most fans remember PSG struggling, and Ligue 1 isn't quite to the Bayern Munich/Bundesliga level, PSG has lost 3 times the league since QSI has been here. It's not as exciting though for sure, but it's not just an issue in France or Germany at this point.
No not about the fans, I’m saying do the fans still feel excitement for matchdays in ligue 1 knowing that they are going to win 90% of the games they play.

like does it not lose some excitement knowing your almost always going to win in the league ?

ilrm

Supports
Real Madrid
Same thing with Bayern but at least Leipzig and Dortmund are more competitive than whoever are the other French teams. For PSG the Ligue 1 should be mandatory and they should only be judged by CL.

SportingCP96

Supports
Same thing with Bayern but at least Leipzig and Dortmund are more competitive than whoever are the other French teams. For PSG the Ligue 1 should be mandatory and they should only be judged by CL.
100%. Whatever they do in ligue 1 does not hold that much weight because of how much better they are.

sure you can use the Bayern example but that league has far better teams and Bayern have been this dominant as of recent but they always have been good. PSG only became relevant 10 years ago so it’s different.

ericPSG

Supports
PSG
Genuine question.

PSG fan since 1995, I still care about ligue 1
We lost so many times for a few points in the 90s and the 00s that it’s still nice to be champion

But on a dominant season like it seems to be this year, I don’t have excitement anymore in February or March when there is 10+ points from the 2nd

And when they loose in champions league early, it’s a loooong period until the next season…

SportingCP96

Supports
PSG fan since 1995, I still care about ligue 1
We lost so many times for a few points in the 90s and the 00s that it’s still nice to be champion

But on a dominant season like it seems to be this year, I don’t have excitement anymore in February or March when there is 10+ points from the 2nd

And when they loose in champions league early, it’s a loooong period until the next season…
Ya by February and if eliminated from CL it’s almost like being on cruise control.

If CL does not go well you only have half a year of enjoyment with the rest being dull.

I think the best thing that can happen to PSG and France is if another Club get bought like PSG.

Someone to compete with PSG, like OM, OL, Monaco (they tried but gave up on that project, Bordeaux ?

It would allow PSG to have A contender and bring more interest to an overall dull league.

FrankFoot

Supports
Neutral
Ya by February and if eliminated from CL it’s almost like being on cruise control.

If CL does not go well you only have half a year of enjoyment with the rest being dull.

I think the best thing that can happen to PSG and France is if another Club get bought like PSG.

Someone to compete with PSG, like OM, OL, Monaco (they tried but gave up on that project, Bordeaux ?

It would allow PSG to have A contender and bring more interest to an overall dull league.
You mean, another souless project, so a corrupt politician like Sarkozy can lobby and profit from the buy, no matter who they are selling to?

Cause that's what Sarkozy did with PSG,he even used Platini as the face for the Qatar WC lobby.

unplayable

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Is Tavares on course to win the golden boot? This guy scores in every match I see. :lol:

avgp_1

Alexis, Geundouzi, Tavares, Kolasinac and Pepe on here. This is like an Arsenal re-union

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
Is Tavares on course to win the golden boot? This guy scores in every match I see. :lol:
It's weird his shot selection is pretty terrible but they went from row Z at Arsenal to goals at Marseille :lol:

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund

Have you heard about this player called Eden Hazard? ;)

mshnsh

Watched the PSG match and Mbappe is uber selfish particularly when it comes to passing to Messi or Neymar. In this match alone there were several moments with Messi in a goalscoring position but he just shot from a difficult angle or tried step overs to get a shot off and messed it up several times. Needs to be sorted out.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
1-1 at home to Monaco? @Sayros, what happened? I saw psg could only score a penalty as well. It is still early on and Galtier is a fantastic coach. I hope things doesn't crumble to quickly over there, but it will be hard to do what Pochettino did and get psg to the semi final, go unbeaten at home, and win all the trophies that other managers there have won. But, I believe Galtier can do it because I think he is a good manager

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
1-1 at home to Monaco? @Sayros, what happened? I saw psg could only score a penalty as well. It is still early on and Galtier is a fantastic coach. I hope things doesn't crumble to quickly over there, but it will be hard to do what Pochettino did and get psg to the semi final, go unbeaten at home, and win all the trophies that other managers there have won. But, I believe Galtier can do it because I think he is a good manager
Again, Pochettino didn't nearly win all the trophies to win there. He didn't win the Coupe de La Ligue, or the Trophee des Champions for one. He got us knocked out of the French cup in the round of 16 which is almost impossible to do for PSG.

But if you watched the game, even that 1-1 the team looked much more potent offensively than they did under Pochettino. They had a lot of opportunities to win the game, but MNM didn't have a great day.

I absolutely believe you though when you say you hope things don't crumble too quickly, I'm certain you're completely objective and rooting for Galtier to do a better job than Poch without any outside agenda. :p

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
PSG played well, the Monaco Goalkeeper (Nubel?) made some fantastic saves. Especially one with his chest

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
PSG played well, the Monaco Goalkeeper (Nubel?) made some fantastic saves. Especially one with his chest
Good to know that Nübel is getting in some good practice. Though I still think he won’t go back to Bayern as Neuer‘s successor

bucky

:lol:

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Again, Pochettino didn't nearly win all the trophies to win there. He didn't win the Coupe de La Ligue, or the Trophee des Champions for one. He got us knocked out of the French cup in the round of 16 which is almost impossible to do for PSG.

But if you watched the game, even that 1-1 the team looked much more potent offensively than they did under Pochettino. They had a lot of opportunities to win the game, but MNM didn't have a great day.

I absolutely believe you though when you say you hope things don't crumble too quickly, I'm certain you're completely objective and rooting for Galtier to do a better job than Poch without any outside agenda. :p
He did win the trophee des champion beating Marseille 2-1, but he didn't win the coupe de ligue because he didnt stay there long. Regardless, Tuchel lost that trophy in the 2019 season, and barely won it in the 2020 season so if Pochettino had more time, no doubt he would have won it. He only got knocked out because he decided to play fringe players and they lost on penalty. Psg dominated the game even with their second team, which was incredible against the team that would end up winning it.

MNM not having a great day doesn't excuse how they only scored by a penalty at home. Regardless, as I stated last season, football is unpredictable. Sherif can beat real Madrid on some days and not all games are predictable.

I do hope galtier does accomplish more and get psg to the final and win all trophies and go unbeaten at home and walk the league in his full season. I can finally admit, I was wrong and on the rare instance finally be wrong about something on here. Galtier is a top coach, so I won't be surprised if I say in under 1 and a half season that galtier did everything poch did and more. Psg knows how to select top coaches and galtier is just another added to their growing list.