Television Line Of Duty (BBC TV Series)

United Hobbit

Who do we think it is that Jo thought we her dad?

I'm thinking

Thurwell, or as a long shot, Osborne? I did think Carl Banks, due to how she reacted on learning he was dead, but think they said he was in the police

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
It's never less than entertaining. We are all invested in this enough by now to the point where a 30 minute interrogation mainly filled with 'no comments' is still more riveting than it should be but.........it is starting to stretch things a bit now to the point where its getting just a tiny bit silly.

This season feels like its trying to shoehorn in these end of episode cliff-hangers 24-style just to get people talking about it. It is definitely achieving that, but its compromising the quality of the show in order to do it and I fear that this is going to go the way of so many other good-but-not-great TV series where the last couple of seasons take the shine off of it when its looked back on in its entirety.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Why did Kate go on the run, and then go all loopy about being framed, when she could've just... stayed there and explain what happened? Everyone already knew Pilkington was bent, that her life was potentially under threat, and she had a witness...And why did Jo need to pretend to have shot Pilkington in self defence when Kate could've just also said that? It felt like I'd missed a whole chunk of episode at the start there...

EDIT: Basically everything @United Hobbit just said... glad I'm not the only one who thought that made no sense.

If they drag H out into another season, I'll fecking....... just be quite annoyed to be honest.
This this this. Didn’t like this episode - felt close to a jumping the shark moment for me, the narrative and character actions just felt jarring and didn’t make sense to me. Only thing that was half decent was the interview but even that was filled with too many no comments (minor gripe).

Nickosaur

I get how some might find the 'no comment' interview tedious, but I found it pretty compelling. You could see Jo was going through a lot of inner turmoil, and what she chose to reveal and what she didn't (with the no comments) was really interesting and made it clear that she knows so much more. And Carmeichel cutting off all talk about corruption - hard to know if she is in on it, or she is just following orders to stick to the immediate investigation.

I don't want Jo to die in the prison as she's evidently been through a lot, but those creepy bent guards always seem to find a way in. . .

edit - but i will agree with the comments about Kate's sketchy behaviour, why she decided to run, and the needless car chase. Doesn't make much sense - unless she wanted to get more info out of Joe to make sure she could trust her/wasn't going to frame her for Ryan's murder?

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
That Carmichael goes through me with that smile she does as she’s being a dick.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
It’s all turning a bit 24

next season Steve will be on the run due to the med people still chasing him, Kate will be his insider and Hastings will crash the small plane with a bomb in it

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
That Carmichael goes through me with that smile she does as she’s being a dick.
She's so overly smug. Grating character but surely all done to give us a satisfying finish.
She's a brilliant actress to be fair to be able to make people despise her as much as they do. I felt like smashing my tv when she was on last night. Think she's in another show (motherland) and seemingly plays a character the absolute polar opposite which is again probably credit to how good an actress she is

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
She's a brilliant actress to be fair to be able to make people despise her as much as they do. I felt like smashing my tv when she was on last night. Think she's in another show (motherland) and seemingly plays a character the absolute polar opposite which is again probably credit to how good an actress she is
I was planning to see what else she’s been in to see how she plays a different character or if that’s just her. I agree it’s great acting to get me to dislike her so much.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
First season watching and it's pretty crap. The issue with Kate and Jo, mentioned above in spoilers, is mind boggling. When you start to think maybe there's some super clever twist coming to explain it, you know you're going to be left disappointed and realise it's just horse shit.

Seriously, why the hell does Kate trust Jo enough to drive off with her? She literally would have been dead if Jo got her way. Now she's giving her the benefit of the doubt!? We're the writers on fecking drugs when they wrote this?

arnie_ni

Why did they make a point of showing the camera not turning off in the prison.

Does that mean that whoever is in charge isn't prepared to hurt her?

hobbers

They've said 'the fourth man' so often now it seems impossible for it not to be a woman.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
So everyone is bumming this on social media and at work.

I come here and read this and turns out it's turning to shit?

United Hobbit

Just rewatching

Kate's behaviour is no clearer on 2nd viewing!

she went to an isolated underground car park, with someone who had lured her to be killed, and had then picked up a gun. She's being so skewed by Jo, it's making her irrational. I seriously thought she was going to shoot someone (Carmichael or Hastings?) You could see her hand twitching towards the gun and the look on her face.
She also said something about being a suspect for Ryan's death. Yes she would have probably been interviewed to get what happened, but she was totally justified in shooting him, and had even been authd to carry as he was after her. It just doesn't make sense!

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Just rewatching

Kate's behaviour is no clearer on 2nd viewing!

she went to an isolated underground car park, with someone who had lured her to be killed, and had then picked up a gun. She's being so skewed by Jo, it's making her irrational. I seriously thought she was going to shoot someone (Carmichael or Hastings?) You could see her hand twitching towards the gun and the look on her face.
She also said something about being a suspect for Ryan's death. Yes she would have probably been interviewed to get what happened, but she was totally justified in shooting him, and had even been authd to carry as he was after her. It just doesn't make sense!
Wasn't she thinking at this point that Steve and Hastings had betrayed her and the police all liked her as being involved with Jo/the OCG? She could have come quietly and told the truth about how she came to kill Ryan but bent high-ranking coppers could have seen everything pinned on her to make the whole issue go away? Plus the added fear of whichever police picked her up disposing of her on the way to the station on the orders of bent coppers?

On seeming to trust Jo; I think Kate wanted to trust her having seen good in her whilst working Lighthouse and during the showdown with Ryan. The car chase did look a little bit like Mercurio said 'damn would be a shame to waste these empty Covid streets' but I didn't mind, the motivations seemed roughly ok, and al along I think Kate looked like she was second-guessing herself as well as her opponents in the OCG and the police.

United Hobbit

Wasn't she thinking at this point that Steve and Hastings had betrayed her and the police all liked her as being involved with Jo/the OCG? She could have come quietly and told the truth about how she came to kill Ryan but bent high-ranking coppers could have seen everything pinned on her to make the whole issue go away? Plus the added fear of whichever police picked her up disposing of her on the way to the station on the orders of bent coppers?

On seeming to trust Jo; I think Kate wanted to trust her having seen good in her whilst working Lighthouse and during the showdown with Ryan. The car chase did look a little bit like Mercurio said 'damn would be a shame to waste these empty Covid streets' but I didn't mind, the motivations seemed roughly ok, and al along I think Kate looked like she was second-guessing herself as well as her opponents in the OCG and the police.
Very good point, the bent ones are obviously very high up so could easily say she was no longer authorised to carry the gun for protective as surveillance had stopped. I don't think Carmichael is the key player, I don't think she's high up enough. She is parroting grey haired woman and Osborne in the interview re no corruption etc.
Also do we think Jo's mum actually committed suicide? I'm not entirely sure... also who do we think put Jo in chargeof OperationLighthouse following the "too slow" process by her predecessor?

cyberman

Have a feeling it will just be totally predictable and the original three will be back next season doing the same thing again
I think itll be those 3 trying to prove that who they find out is H, is actually H.
Imo theyre setting up Steve and Hastings as uncredible when theyre misdemeanors are exposed so it runs another season.

Deery

Dreary
Kate had to take Jo in the car so she could tell her about the printing office and about her dad the bent copper. I agree though it did seem a little silly.

United Hobbit

Carmichael

interesting rewatching the interview with Jo. Carmichael only cuts Hastings off when he asks if OSBORNE is bent, NOT about Thurwell being bent. Can you fake an IP address? Could they be putting it as Spain to deflect the blame to Thurwell?

Also why was Jo claiming she shot Ryan, surely as a police officer she'd know the forensics wouldn't fit? Kate lawfully shot him, why make it actually look dodgy, by lying. Also would they have been authorised to put trackers on AC12's personal cars? Where was the justification. We still don't know who killed the journalist - Jo or Ryan I think

Ted

I'm pretty sure he's not bent, and is probably just upset by his impending forced retirement, but could he have been hoping something could be pinned on Thurwell (faked ip address to Spain) and now he's maybe dead Ted is actually bent and knows there are very few left to pin "H" on? We still never know what was on that laptop, also "definately" I don't think he is bent but there are little signs being drip fed
Guy Jo thought was her dad:

who do we think it is? I'm Thurwell, but as a long shot - Osborne? He looks old enough?

Last edited:

Mart1974

harbours delusions of insignificance
Yeah that car chase was a bit forced. The initial 10 odd minutes were a bit too hollywood-ish but the rest of it was good. 30 minute long interrogation is what I watch this shiz for. The part about her family history was quite disturbing. Having something like that being revealed to you for the first time in such a setting can be horrifying.
30 minute interview was at least 2 minutes of beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep

Mart1974

harbours delusions of insignificance
Anyone noted the theory that Carmichael was tapping out 'H' in Morse code during the interview?

United Hobbit

Does anyone else have doubts that Jo's mum committed suicide? I have a faint hunch Jo killed her, even if it was a mercy killing

Also when they were getting in Steve's car, the camera angle made it feel like someone was watching. Could they have planted the tracker etc?

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Does anyone else have doubts that Jo's mum committed suicide? I have a faint hunch Jo killed her, even if it was a mercy killing

Also when they were getting in Steve's car, the camera angle made it feel like someone was watching. Could they have planted the tracker etc?
I said this to my partner and she said I was an idiot. I still think it was shot like that for that reason.

SirAnderson

So glad I started this up again after seeing all the hoorah of the latest series.

Busy watching series 4, and man I am hooked can't wait for the next episode and already having anxiety realizing I'm almost caught up to date. :(