Lingard signs new £100k 4 year contract (Sky) | Official: Option to extend for a further year

Status
Not open for further replies.

fcbforever

Supports
FC Bayern München
These lists are never trustworthy. Noone actually knows the figures, so lists like these are often times compiled from various press reports.
I'm 100% certain this one is not accurate either.

I've seen lists which were so erratic that I am pretty sure they compiled the numbers from press reports varying net and gross figures.
As @Acrobat7 correctly pointed out in the Neymar thread recently, press reports in Spain and Italy routinely use net figures while in Germany and England they are gross figures, so if a journalist doesn't pay attention, there will be mixups. And I think we all know how much attention to detail most internet football 'journalists' pay. This on top of the general unreliability of wage figures floating around.

I would bet that the above list contains such confusion too, as I could well imagine Vidal is on 6.5 NET and not 6.5 gross. That's far, far too little. Similarly with Robben.
No way Robben only earns 7m€ before tax.
Pretty sure Robben got a wage cut, pretty sure Vidal took deliberately less money to join us if memory serves me right.

Rajeev

Deli Ali is the best young English player and he gets paid £50k a week. Our club has gone nuts and these overpaid players are a reason why we don't play well. I wouldn't be surprised if Jones gets offered £100k now. Its like we are rewarding all of them for being really very average

The Firestarter

In football 25k is nothing though. Kids coming through with 0 experience get 20k these days.

Statistic isn't meaningless without a definition. It's meaningless if you don't put all data on the same base. So unless you use one definition for lingard and another one for mata and another for pogba mkhi and all, it's meaningful and can be compared
Although there is an inflation, regular wages have not reached that point yet. 100K / week is still reserved for players who are first teamers, and have shown to deliver great results on a regular basis. OR they are universally recognized young prospects that there are overwhelming odds they will turn into world class players. None of that applies to Lingard.

The problem with that statistic is this: Let's assume, that to create a real chance C requires a combination of A, B and D . If, the other players exibit all the three properties, but Lingard has displayed only A, and this statistic is based only on A, it will be meaningless.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
No more so than anyone thought Drinkwater and Huth could be part of a league winning side 18 months ago. It just takes a squad of players who play like a team.
I am not that pissed off in us keeping Lingard. He could be a decent squad player. However 100k a week for a squad player, whom lets face it, isn't very good in playing football is ridiculous. Regarding Carrick his legs are gone. Unless there's something written in our club's statute that every good servant is entitled for an extra year of salary after he's passed it then its really doesn't make sense keeping him. We might as well bring Keane out of retirement while at it

Last edited:

Raoul

Admin
Staff
The irony of you finding it hilarious, when you have been providing all the laughs..
As opposed to your highly cerebral comparison to Andy Carroll. More contributions like that and you'll make the next CAF awards.

Devil may care

I'm sure they're all queuing up to take us to the cleaners. I hear Bale is interested in joining us for 800k/wk after news of Jesse's new contract.
This just shows you know you're wrong Raoul, I thought you were smarter than this.

Ixion

When Beckham was 24 he was hitting 20+ assists and helping us win the Treble, Giggs was tearing Juventus apart and Ronaldo was World Player of the Year and helping us get to European Cup finals.

Jesse at 24 has 3 assists and got a winner against Middlesbrough so continuing that fine tradition of United wingers. Earned that contract. Yeah our standards have slipped.

Cristiano Lell

BANNED LOLZ
Supports
Bayern München
Pretty sure Robben got a wage cut, pretty sure Vidal took deliberately less money to join us if memory serves me right.
Yes, it's very possible Robben took a wage cut, but surely not such big one, no? Maybe that number (€7m) is some sort of base salary and he's gets huge appearance fees or something.
But then, Ribéry is even older, was injured for almost 2 years, renewed at the same time as Robben yet didn't have his wages cut nearly as much?
And Vidal, with the possibility to join various big PL clubs for crazy money, and who surely already got around 10m € at Juve, took 'deliberately less money' to join us? Nah.

The simplest explanation is that those lists are so inaccurate and volatile that we can't actually use them as a basis to debate about. At least that's my opinion regarding player wages.

And similarly, on topic, it makes no sense for fans to throw a tantrum over some reported wages Lingard might be getting.
First of all, we don't know whether the number is true in the first place, and second of all, just because fan opinion of Lingard is that he's not good, or shit, or whatever, doesn't mean he will get less money than his teammates in a comparable squad place.
He's not a kid anymore, he's a rotation player and occasional starter at one of the biggest and richest clubs, what is Utd supposed to tell him and his agent? "We offer you a new contract at Man Utd but actually we think you're a shit player and 50k is the max for a donkey like you"?
That's obviously not how it works.

Devil may care

It's not your cash! Have never understood the modern footy fan's obsession with players wages. It's not our money, who gives a feck?!
Osbscene wages for mediocrity is a blight on the club and not sustainable, at some point things have to level off, and my main issue is the knock on effect and the fact we are comitting to keep a very average player around on money that will make him hard to shift if we ever get the squad back to the quality level required.

luke511

It's not your cash! Have never understood the modern footy fan's obsession with players wages. It's not our money, who gives a feck?!
It's a lot more to do with sh*t like this distancing our club even further away from the way fergie ran things i.e a title winning club.

ike

Sometimes I really wonder about all the unnecessary player hate for United players on here.
What did Lingard do to you?
He's a United Player, as long as he wears the badge I support him. The manager obviously wants him around and that's good enough for me. He's got pace. He occasionally turns up for big games or at least more than our "big" signing has this year.

If its just about the money...seriously?
It's football it's all crazy money.

Reactions: Penna

Zoo

So Ducker says 75K a week. Can we change the title?

LFC-Fans

Supports
Liverpool
Wow, must be having a good season in order to get a new contract

stevoc

I don't care how much Lingard make personally, fair play to him. But it's a great negotiating tactic for the agents of any potential signings this summer isn't it.

''You pay Lingard £100k per week, so my client wants £150/200/300K''

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans
No surprise we are where we are giving out 75k+ contracts to the likes of Fellaini, Young and Lingard.

illReD

Ridiculous... Now any decent player will warrant twice that.

RedChip

The way the BBC is reporting it as "could earn him £100k a week" means that the weekly wage is nowhere near that.

I suspect it is in the region of £65-75k basic plus appearance fee, win/goal bonuses and then a yearly increase increment.

If he therefore stays at the club (meaning he is doing well), plays, scores and wins games then he'd deserve the full £100k. It's all relative of course.
It seems the 100k is now the firm figure; people don't seem to be paying attention to this or both the Telegraph and Mail, which have reported a basic of 75k.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
He better come good cause if he aint he'll be the shit we can't flush (cough.. Anderson, nani, rooney, young)

Even john oshea didn't make that much and he's much more of a player.

Ps: i hate his dabbing shit, cringeworhty

Walters_19_MuFc

He better come good cause if he aint he'll be the shit we can't flush (cough.. Anderson, nani, rooney, young)

Even john oshea didn't make that much and he's much more of a player.

Ps: i hate his dabbing shit, cringeworhty
He doesn't dab any more. Move with the times.

devips

Redcafe will sleep peacefully tonight. It's 75K after all, not 100K. All the moaning here have not been for nothing. Cafe saved 25K p/w of United money.

ti vu

Disagree since this is supposed to be squad player. I wrote about this in Lingard performance thread some time ago. Paying top wage to get top player who are mainstay for the starting line up is well worth it. Paying big wage for squad players ain't healthy since squad players could easily be upgradable or replaceable. Moving them on would be hard if they're on high wage. Why is it easy to upgradable, replaceable? Because sometimes you can have players from the academy who is good enough for this role (see the irony). These players maybe better than there predecessor. Would you rather another Pogba saga where we refused to pay him a good wage (while paying high wage for less talented squad player), and couldn't offer any playing time (until it's too late)?

Edit: Jumped the gun with the thread title. 75K/week, even with performance based bonus, is reasonable though.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Something that just occurred to me is that it's in the club's interest for the 100k/week angle to get traction. If you're an up and coming talent being courted by a few clubs (Mbappe?) this news could be very influential when it comes to deciding who to join.

Obviously, the whole thing isn't a machiavellian scheme but a handy story to hit the news wires all the same.

Peanut Butter

It's a football club, not your club, not your wife, why give a feck altogether?
The thing is, it's United's cash. Our ticket money doesn't touch wages - our huge sponsorship deals and tv revenue pay the wages surely?

So again, it's not our cash. And @Pogue Mahone makes a great point above. Young players considering a few different suitors would definitely consider us before most seeing as we pay well.

75k a week is chump change to Utd. People just want an excuse to have a pop at Lingard.

Status
Not open for further replies.