Lingard signs new £100k 4 year contract (Sky) | Official: Option to extend for a further year

Status
Not open for further replies.

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
Telegraph say £75k fwiw

AndyJ1985

So 100k a week is now the base figure? No wonder we have the highest wage bill in the league. He's ok but so were Evans and Welbeck. He also plays in a part of the field where we have been seriously malfunctioning. Not sure I understand this story (if it's true).
Highest wage bill and 6th best team. But still some people bury their heads in the sand and refuse to see the problem.

ice-bionic red

Ridiculous wages for a young player who has yet to prove he belongs at Man Utd. He's been ok the last two games though so I hope this is the start of drastic improvement and goals

Footyislife

But actually, it's not.
We are such a poorly run club it's hilarious. From hiring managers who don't fit our needs to giving out stupid contracts. We need a DOF badly.

People say it's not you money, but guess who pays for all the money our club wastes: you. And in return it gives you sadness as yoo watch your favorite team be mediocre. Right now the brand is strong so we have sponsorships, but with our continued failures it will dilute the brand. Financial power is becoming more equally distributed in the PL, sad to see us waste the only advantage we have.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
It has nothing to do with jealousy. The problem is that we have the team with the biggest wages in the world, while they produce mediocrity year after year. In this particular case 100k for a squad player is pure madness. This club is being managed by total amateurs.
Absolutely.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Does he get in to any of the starting XI's above United? Not anywhere near Chelsea or City's. Spurs or Arsenal either. Doubt he would get in Liverpool's XI.

He looks like a player you'd see starting for Southampton or West Brom, not Man United.
He wouldn't get into Southampton's first team.

devips

No statistics please. Redcafe is determining Lingard's proper level of wages.

Let's all sign a petition to Woodword. Cafe feels humiliated.

crossy1686

career ending
£100,000 a week is a fecking scandal but maybe I'm just used to that being a lot of money? Maybe it's the going rate for squad players now.

Anyway I hope the other reported salary of £75,000 is correct.

Lingard is a decent squad player so I can see why we want him to stay on. He's never going to be a world beater but squads are built on players that can come in and do a job when the first team players are out.

Woodzy

Young was a terrible signing and we're still lumbered with him because we gave him a ridiculous contract. Why are you comparing Lingard with him to try and make out this is a good deal?
It's not a good deal, but at the same time it's not something we as fans should care about right now. Lots of players need shipping out the door of this club, and Lingard is not one of them.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
£100,000 a week is a fecking scandal but maybe I'm just used to that being a lot of money? Maybe it's the going rate for squad players now.

Anyway I hope the other reported salary of £75,000 is correct.

Lingard is a decent squad player so I can see why we want him to stay on. He's never going to be a world beater but squads are built on players that can come in and do a job when the first team players are out.
Agree, just not sure he's such a player.... hit and miss for me.

In the past, those 'squad players' where Lee Sharpe, Nicky Butt, Darren Fletcher, Chico, Ole, even David May, etc..... players who COULD and WOULD do a job when needed. Solid 7/10.

Sure the modern game means such players get these wages but concern is players start to come for the wages only..... then if they don't work out, we can't get rid.

FrenchRed

He's a good squad player who can have a match winning moments. He not too old at all, and always puts in a shift - for me 75k p/w doesn't seem excessive - indeed it seems like good squad consolidation as long as we bring in new 1st choice midfielders in the summer.

MAME DIOUF 32

I've got no issue with it. Players who are less involved than him will be on similar.

prath92

Nice of him omitting the definition of a "chance created".
How does that matter? Even if you take the most liberal definition of chance created (whatever that may be), it still would have applied equally to all players?

On what basis is 75k fine but 100k excessive? why does that extra 25k really matter?

ZupZup

The way people get so annoyed at what the club deem fit to play their players...

You'd think the money was coming out of their own pockets.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
So anyone got a problem if it's £75k?
I mean, reading this thread has been a treat with one poster more hysterical than the other.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
The wages are almost irrelevant. Him being on £20K, £50K or £100K a week won't really put a dent in your finances and it's all crazy money anyway.

Is he good enough for where you aspire to be? Do you want him to be part of your side for the next few years?

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
No pain to my account so I could care less about his salary but him and Rashford are the last things that connect me to the club so I'm glad he's being valued.

Cristiano Lell

BANNED LOLZ
Supports
Bayern München
For anyone interested, our current wage structure.

https://www.vermoegenmagazin.de/bayern-muenchen-gehaelter/
These lists are never trustworthy. Noone actually knows the figures, so lists like these are often times compiled from various press reports.
I'm 100% certain this one is not accurate either.

I've seen lists which were so erratic that I am pretty sure they compiled the numbers from press reports varying net and gross figures.
As @Acrobat7 correctly pointed out in the Neymar thread recently, press reports in Spain and Italy routinely use net figures while in Germany and England they are gross figures, so if a journalist doesn't pay attention, there will be mixups. And I think we all know how much attention to detail most internet football 'journalists' pay. This on top of the general unreliability of wage figures floating around.

I would bet that the above list contains such confusion too, as I could well imagine Vidal is on 6.5 NET and not 6.5 gross. That's far, far too little. Similarly with Robben.
No way Robben only earns 7m€ before tax.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
I like him, but this kind of money for an inconsistent player?:eek:

The club surely has more money than sense:lol:

The Firestarter

How does that matter? Even if you take the most liberal definition of chance created (whatever that may be), it still would have applied equally to all players?

On what basis is 75k fine but 100k excessive? why does that extra 25k really matter?
On the basis of a fecking 33% increase. If you were to receive an hourly wage , would it not matter for you if you would get 75 or 100 pounds per hour? If you were to employ somebody, wouldn't it matter?

Any statistic is meaningless without a concrete definition.

manc-in-exile

The way the BBC is reporting it as "could earn him £100k a week" means that the weekly wage is nowhere near that.

I suspect it is in the region of £65-75k basic plus appearance fee, win/goal bonuses and then a yearly increase increment.

If he therefore stays at the club (meaning he is doing well), plays, scores and wins games then he'd deserve the full £100k. It's all relative of course.

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
The wages are almost irrelevant. Him being on £20K, £50K or £100K a week won't really put a dent in your finances and it's all crazy money anyway.

Is he good enough for where you aspire to be? Do you want him to be part of your side for the next few years?
We struggled to get rid of Cleverley because of his wages. This is basically the same situation only the wages are even more absurd.

Devil81

Football's gone insane, I remember Roy Keane fighting for that figure back in the day.

Now squad players of Lingard's level are commanding figures like that. No wonder football in England is totally fecked up, they are completely spoilt.

prath92

On the basis of a fecking 33% increase. If you were to receive an hourly wage , would it not matter for you if you would get 75 or 100 pounds per hour? If you were to employ somebody, wouldn't it matter?

Any statistic is meaningless without a concrete definition.
In football 25k is nothing though. Kids coming through with 0 experience get 20k these days.

Statistic isn't meaningless without a definition. It's meaningless if you don't put all data on the same base. So unless you use one definition for lingard and another one for mata and another for pogba mkhi and all, it's meaningful and can be compared

Status
Not open for further replies.