Lingard signs new £100k 4 year contract (Sky) | Official: Option to extend for a further year

Status
Not open for further replies.

prtk0811

Blimey, if the £75,000 + £25,000 reports are true - that's more than triple of what someone like Insigne is earning on his current deal, and 1.5 times what he's demanding on his new 'mega deal'. The Premier League is really distorting the football market when the likes of Sunderland have comparable revenues to a Champions League level club in Napoli. Wouldn't be surprised if Rashford wants to renegotiate to £100,000+ per week in the near future - rising to Harry Kane level with Champions League bonus. I mean, it's not my money (or so some like to point out - even though technically - us fans support the whole structure with escalating subscription fee and ticket fee and associated merchandise, and so forth), so whatever, I guess - but this is kinda why we often struggle to offload our players without subsidizing their wages. Also, the collective Champions League qualification escalator is quite daft - if you want to motivate the player, it makes more sense to include individual targets - like minutes played, a certain numbers of goals scored, total appearances in certain competitions - those are better markers for the player's contribution to the team. It isn't even about giving him X amount of money - but setting a precedent for future deals by paying over the odds (especially when the players have more leverage and can push our buttons).
Well Jose Mourinho gave him the contract and he is ok with it, His best is yet to come like all english talents who develops late.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I've no issue with Ashley Young's contribution since he came to United. He's had a fantastic attitude and has been a hard-working and versatile player. The likes of him and Lingard will always come under less scrutiny if the big stars of the team are performing at the level required. But they generally haven't, which has been a big problem for us, going back several years. If/when the team is being carried by a few world class players then Lingard can act as a valuable squad player to help us cope better with huge number of games we play each season. Which is something that is always needed at a club like Manchester United.
They are under scrutiny because they are being paid as top players not as squad players.

prtk0811

Young hasn't made any substantial contributions to the team since his contract renewal. Since then he's been sitting on his arse collected 110k a week while the club struggle to offload him.
He's done well when selected though

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
They are under scrutiny because they are being paid as top players not as squad players.
Agreed.

In a few seasons time once we get top quality players like Griezemann in the team, players like Lingard won't even get a look in. Then we will have another player sat on the bench collecting 100k a week for doing nothing. But hey maybe we can convert him into a wing back and play the odd game here and there.

prtk0811

Agreed.

In a few seasons time once we get top quality players like Griezemann in the team, players like Lingard won't even get a look in. Then we will have another playing sat on the bench collecting 100k a week for doing nothing. But hey maybe we can convert him into a wing back and play the odd game here and there.
Players like Darren Fletcher, Oshea, Brown have played decent amount of games in rotation with big stars and have hit their peak at the mid age level and havedone well overall, so i think Lingard is amongst those level players who will still contribute

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
The former, definitely. I don't know much about footballer's wages and don't think we've had any confirmation re exactly what he's being offered anyway. Isn't the 100k figure in the thread title just speculations?
BBC said it's up to 100k, which I assume includes goal bonuses etc. It still seems mad to me, I mean Alli is on 50k and apparently it's similar to what Harry Kane earns.

I just don't get it, I don't really see what's wrong with giving him a new contract but how could we get fleeced for that amount for a decent (at best) squad player with no outside interest who is probably desperate to stay at the club anymore. It seems fairly mental all round.

Rolledo

He's also a local lad, loyal to the club, has come up through the ranks since he was in primary school and should be someone we're all delighted to see pull on the shirt. I just don't get why so many people feel so negative about him. This club will be a lot less connected to the match-going fans the day we start lining up without players like Jesse in our team, that's for damn sure.
Mostly this. In recent years we've been lacking in identity for me, Lingard helps a little re-establishing it. Of course I'd rather we dominated every competition, but short of that, a sense of identity is important. And would add considerably when/if we dominate again. In addition to that: Lingard is pretty good at football.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Players like Darren Fletcher, Oshea, Brown have played decent amount of games in rotation with big stars and have hit their peak at the mid age level and havedone well overall, so i think Lingard is amongst those level players who will still contribute
Exactly. And as happened with the players mentioned, if he at some stage doesn't get enough games and wants to move, there will be takers.

devilish

Exactly. And as happened with the players mentioned, if he at some stage doesn't get enough games and wants to move, there will be takers.
Whose going to take Lingard for 100k a week?

top1whoisman

Scout
Whose going to take Lingard for 100k a week?
I doubt the other players got the same Utd salary at West Brom and Sunderland, either. It's a decision the player has to make, if it comes to that. Most take a little pay cut to play and prolong their career.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
@Pogue Mahone I thought about one of your post and I don't think it's a good thing regarding players like Mbappé but it's a great signal for academy prospects to see that at United, you will be given time and eventually money if you apply yourself enough.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
But those players weren't on high wages.

devilish

I heard about Arsenal and Chelsea
If they were willing to pay him 100k a week, then by all means, let them have him. I guess Arsenal haven't learnt their lesson from the last 'wonder boy' we gave them

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
If they were willing to pay him 100k a week, then by all means, let them have him. I guess Arsenal haven't learnt their lesson from the last 'wonder boy' we gave them
It's from the Sun...

devilish

I doubt the other players got the same Utd salary at West Brom and Sunderland, either. It's a decision the player has to make, if it comes to that. Most take a little pay cut to play and prolong their career.
Most don't and we've seen that with the likes of Young and Fellaini whom we weren't able to sell

devilish

Mostly this. In recent years we've been lacking in identity for me, Lingard helps a little re-establishing it. Of course I'd rather we dominated every competition, but short of that, a sense of identity is important. And would add considerably when/if we dominate again. In addition to that: Lingard is pretty good at football.
In the good old days, young talent were kept and they were well paid for it because they were excellent players not because of 'identity'. But there again, in the good old days we used to win the league not end up 6th.

We're swiftly becoming the new Liverpool

top1whoisman

Scout
Most don't and we've seen that with the likes of Young and Fellaini whom we weren't able to sell
So two examples? I think most do, and I wouldn't call those two mercenaries either. By all accounts there was a chance to offload Fellaini last summer but José didn't want to. He'll probably leave next summer though, we'll see what happens with Young.

prtk0811

But if Jose Mourinho took over, Danny Welbeck would be a pretty useful player in our attack with his workrate and energy. He was united through and through.

devilish

So two examples? I think most do, and I wouldn't call those two mercenaries either. By all accounts there was a chance to offload Fellaini last summer but José didn't want to. He'll probably leave next summer though, we'll see what happens with Young.
I don't recall SAF throwing money at squad players. He barely did that to his first teamers let alone the OSheas, Fortunes and co.

devilish

But if Jose Mourinho took over, Danny Welbeck would be a pretty useful player in our attack with his workrate and energy. He was united through and through.
He did nothing at United/Arsenal to suggest that.

It seems that Welbeck is similar to Jones, Shaw and Fabio Da Silva in terms of hype. The more they stay in the treatment room, the better they become.

top1whoisman

Scout
I don't recall SAF throwing money at squad players. He barely did that to his first teamers let alone the OSheas, Fortunes and co.
That is true, SAF was known to be really strict with wages. Have no idea what those players earned, and how they would compare to Becks, Giggsy, Keano etc. Then again, the football world has changed a lot since those days.

top1whoisman

Scout
He's probably better, but still not good enough to ever nail down a regular place at anything more than a mid table side.
If he continues to develop and plays a good squad player role to help us get back to the top, I'm happy. I have trust in him to achieve this.

devilish

That is true, SAF was known to be really strict with wages. Have no idea what those players earned, and how they would compare to Becks, Giggsy, Keano etc. Then again, the football world has changed a lot since those days.
We pay more salary then Chelsea, Real and Barcelona now. Do we have the squad to justify that?

prtk0811

In the good old days, young talent were kept and they were well paid for it because they were excellent players not because of 'identity'. But there again, in the good old days we used to win the league not end up 6th.

We're swiftly becoming the new Liverpool
Oh come on, Lingard's goal won us the fa cup last season and he scored in community sheild and league cup final as well, He's doing well here.

No we are not, Jose Mourinho is our manager, He will have ruthless attitude when it comes to buying and selling .

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Well Jose Mourinho gave him the contract and he is ok with it, His best is yet to come like all english talents who develops late.
Yes, and...should we not discuss the merits and demerits of said deal? Merely stating that José ratified the decision is neither here nor there, and doesn't address the core issue regarding our propensity for overindulging players relative to their sporting value - which should be our primary focus as a sporting institution.

prtk0811

He did nothing at United/Arsenal to suggest that.

It seems that Welbeck is similar to Jones, Shaw and Fabio Da Silva in terms of hype. The more they stay in the treatment room, the better they become.
At least we would have scored more goals.

top1whoisman

Scout
We pay more salary then Chelsea, Real and Barcelona now. Do we have the squad to justify that?
No. Luckily we have got rid of Basti who was one of our top-earners, Memphis & Schneiderlin (around 80-100k/w each), and Rooney will leave next summer, perhaps Youngy too (although I have no issue with him staying). That'd be around 700-800k/w saved with players who barely play.

Status
Not open for further replies.