Lingard signs new £100k 4 year contract (Sky) | Official: Option to extend for a further year

Status
Not open for further replies.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
At least we would have scored more goals.
Yep we really need a goal poacher capable of scoring an amazing 9 goals in 44 EPL matches upfront. If we had Welbeck, we wouldn't even need Ibra.

devilish

No. Luckily we have got rid of Basti who was one of our top-earners, Memphis & Schneiderlin (around 80-100k/w each), and Rooney will leave next summer, perhaps Youngy too (although I have no issue with him staying). That'd be around 700-800k/w saved with players who barely play.
and the gap will be filled by the likes of Lingard being paid 100k a week.

devilish

Oh come on, Lingard's goal won us the fa cup last season and he scored in community sheild and league cup final as well, He's doing well here.

No we are not, Jose Mourinho is our manager, He will have ruthless attitude when it comes to buying and selling .
I am referring to the 'identity' mentality. That's very Rawkesque

prath92

Most don't and we've seen that with the likes of Young and Fellaini whom we weren't able to sell
When did we try to sell Young and Fellaini and a move fell through due to their wages? The only time I can think of was summer 2014 where Fellaini's injury probably scuppered a move. Neither van gaal or mourinho has since then tried to sell him

prtk0811

Yes, and...should we not discuss the merits and demerits of said deal? Merely stating that José ratified the decision is neither here nor there, and doesn't address the core issue regarding our propensity for overindulging players relative to their sporting value - which should be our primary focus as a sporting institution.
yeah You are right, But Demerits have been talked enough on this platform, Unless Merits are also discussed a conclusion will be hard to reach.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
and the gap will be filled by the likes of Lingard being paid 100k a week.
Or £75k, depending on the source. The salaries in the game are on a constant rise, so it's good that we're getting rid of those biggest earners who contribute next to nothing, as the biggest stars (that we're after as well) get around £250-350k/w.

Trigg

aka Trippin_Stoned
Our attack is garbage and has under performed all season. Comparisons within itself are meaningless. Mata and Mkhitaryan haven't been productive enough either. How about you compare Lingard's output to the wingers at Spurs/Chelsea/City instead? The teams actually challenging for the league not challenging for 5th.

And here take a look at this

Lingard is miles down by the way with a huge 5.6. You can argue he's just not a favourite and people are harsh on him but it's accurate, he has been ordinary this season. To suggest he has been one of our best players would be a lie. Yet he's now one of our highest paid players. If he had an amazing season no one would be complaining.
I wouldn't base anything on RedCafe ratings. This place is full of negative so-and-so's!

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Yes, and...should we not discuss the merits and demerits of said deal? Merely stating that José ratified the decision is neither here nor there, and doesn't address the core issue regarding our propensity for overindulging players relative to their sporting value - which should be our primary focus as a sporting institution.
Point is how do we even know whether the wages reported by the media is correct? They usually guess. How do we even know how the wages are structured or how highly he is rated by the coaching staff?

There might be lower basic wage with lot of performance related bonus, who knows.

devilish

When did we try to sell Young and Fellaini and a move fell through due to their wages? The only time I can think of was summer 2014 where Fellaini's injury probably scuppered a move. Neither van gaal or mourinho has since then tried to sell him
In 2014 he was very close in signing with Napoli and last summer it was AC Milan's turn. Both deals collapse for basically the same reason. The Italian clubs wanted to sign Fellaini on loan, with a fixed fee clause attached that they could activate at the end of the loan + with us paying most of his salary.

Fellaini's salary is a big issue.

BigBebe

You keep mentioning that statistic. Here's another one. He creates chances at the second highest rate (every 36 minutes) of everyone in our squad. He is also the only player to score in both of our last two cup finals.
Exactly, he scored in our last 2 cup finals (you could also add that he scored in the FA Community Shield), he is not one to go missing in the big games, in fact, he seems to relish those situations.

Seeing so many fans lining up to have a go at him when he is a local lad who has played an integral part of our few successes over the past few years is a bit dispiriting

prtk0811

I am referring to the 'identity' mentality. That's very Rawkesque
Rawkesque would be keeping the likes of Januzaj and cleverley Blackett and Mcnair still at the club and claiming home grown talents. I trust Jose mourinho's judgement's because he was was not deserving then he would not have given him that contract.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Just seen Gary Neville say that if you think this is bad you aren't a true united fan.

Wish people would think about stuff like that. Obviously they wont.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Gary Neville seems to fighting a lot United fans (well supposed United fans) on Twitter over Jesse's new contract. Mark Ogden has joined in too, saying on his feed 70/30 split between United fans, 70% attacking Jesse over his new contract. Gary essentially saying the same thing, crazy to attack Jesse and if Mourinho has authorized it then we should all get behind Jesse and not attack him. Personally I've not seen many attacking Jesse personally or anything like that so I can't really comment on that. But I do agree that anyone who criticizes Jesse is doing so unnecessarily and I find it odd when fans don't support players and are pleased to see Academy players make a real success of their careers.

My opinion is though I'm happy Jesse has a new contract, I like him think he works really hard and can provide really exciting moments. I think he will get better under Jose too. However, I do think £100k a week is a bit out of proportion for him, but with the way wages and fees are ever increasing I suppose it's probably a sign of the times more than anything. Glad Jesse is staying though and looking forward to seeing him stay with us for the foreseeable now.

Edit: @Wumminator you beat me to it mate haha :lol:

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Scoring in cup finals or not I just don't think it is a justified salary for what will be a squad player going forwards and possibly even sold in the future.

Uniteds wage structure has been one of the key causes of our decline in my opinion. It is totally out of control, lacks any semblance of logic and you have old men on 250k a week and guys who have barely proven themselves close to 100k. It's just not healthy, promotes mediocrity and does not foster a winning mentality. The club is promoting a coasting culture and is coming across as small time and eager to please.

Lingard should be on 50k max, and certainly not 100k a week. Based on performance levels... I'd pay wages like 150k for Zlatan. De Gea and Pogba on 100-150k.. guys like Herrera should be on 60k and Lingard and Rashford should definitely be below 50k.

Right now everyone is on a big wage and that does not seem sensible.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
There are players who pick up the ball and you expect something to happen.

There are player who pick up the ball and if there is an opening or chance there, you expect them to spot and make use of it.

There are players who pick up the ball and you expect them to either not see the opening at all, or see it and make a mess of trying to make use of it.

Lingard is firmly in the third category. He's good enough to be a squad player but not good enough to have played the number of games he has for us the past two years. If you end up actually relying on players who come under the third category above, your performances and results reflect that accordingly.

Not sure why you'd pay 100K a week to someone you're not planning to rely on so this is a bit troubling.

prath92

In 2014 he was very close in signing with Napoli and last summer it was AC Milan's turn. Both deals collapse for basically the same reason. The Italian clubs wanted to sign Fellaini on loan, with a fixed fee clause attached that they could activate at the end of the loan + with us paying most of his salary.

You are just making up crap as you go. Maybe Milan did want to sign him on loan. We never wanted to sell him. Unless we get an offer we couldn't say no to. Jose has been a fan of Fellaini since day 1.

You were making it seem as if we have been actively trying to sell them but no one was willing to buy. I'm sure if young was asked to leave, he would have no shortage of suitors in the PL.

prtk0811

Scoring in cup finals or not I just don't think it is a justified salary for what will be a squad player going forwards and possibly even sold in the future.

Uniteds wage structure has been one of the key causes of our decline in my opinion. It is totally out of control, lacks any semblance of logic and you have old men on 250k a week and guys who have barely proven themselves close to 100k. It's just not healthy, promotes mediocrity and does not foster a winning mentality. The club is promoting a coasting culture and is coming across as small time and eager to please.

Lingard should be on 50k max, and certainly not 100k a week. Based on performance levels... I'd pay wages like 150k for Zlatan. De Gea and Pogba on 100-150k.. guys like Herrera should be on 60k and Lingard and Rashford should definitely be below 50k.

Remember when Media Inflated the Schweinsteiger fee up to 14 m when it was actually 6m? 100K is not the actual reality.

roonster09

Scout

None of them would have been at this club if those wages are paid.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Gary Neville seems to fighting a lot United fans (well supposed United fans) on Twitter over Jesse's new contract. Mark Ogden has joined in too, saying on his feed 70/30 split between United fans, 70% attacking Jesse over his new contract. Gary essentially saying the same thing, crazy to attack Jesse and if Mourinho has authorized it then we should all get behind Jesse and not attack him. Personally I've not seen many attacking Jesse personally or anything like that so I can't really comment on that. But I do agree that anyone who criticizes Jesse is doing so unnecessarily and I find it odd when fans don't support players and are pleased to see Academy players make a real success of their careers.

My opinion is though I'm happy Jesse has a new contract, I like him think he works really hard and can provide really exciting moments. I think he will get better under Jose too. However, I do think £100k a week is a bit out of proportion for him, but with the way wages and fees are ever increasing I suppose it's probably a sign of the times more than anything. Glad Jesse is staying though and looking forward to seeing him stay with us for the foreseeable now.

Edit: @Wumminator you beat me to it mate haha :lol:
The way I see it, fair play to Lingard and his agent they got one hell of a deal.

But I think the majority of the criticism is aimed at the club for giving out such contracts, and rightly so.

devilish

You are just making up crap as you go. Maybe Milan did want to sign him on loan. We never wanted to sell him. Unless we get an offer we couldn't say no to. Jose has been a fan of Fellaini since day 1.

You were making it seem as if we have been actively trying to sell them but no one was willing to buy. I'm sure if young was asked to leave, he would have no shortage of suitors in the PL.
If De Laurentiis and Galliani are talking shit then so am I. I don't think that a 30something winger on 110k a week who cant dribble past his opponent will be well sought off. Hopefully some chinese club will get him off our hands.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Just seen Gary Neville say that if you think this is bad you aren't a true united fan.

If we question the decision of clubs and claim that people should be rewarded considering their contribution to the team, then we aren't true united fans? We were among those people who used to mock Chelsea and City for spending, offering hefty salaries to both player and agents and now when some level headed fans try to discuss as to what Jese Lingard has done to warrant a 100k/week contract, we get the label of fake united fans. Just because he is an academy product, people have soft spot for him. Of course he works hard, has good attitude and I am not against him excelling in his career, but it is easy to see and question when you see more influential players like Mane, Dybala, Auba earn less and produce world class performances for their clubs.

Reactions: SteveJ

MoskvaRed

Even if we take the lower figure, would Lingard get 75k a week anywhere else? It's unlikely, especially as the other club would have to factor a transfer fee into the equation. I don't mind keeping him as back up, I just don't get why we felt the need to give him such a big pay rise in such circumstances.

roonster09

Scout

Milan didn't have issue paying 3 Million to Luiz Adriano and 2.5 Million to Honda.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
None of them would have been at this club if those wages are paid.
That's the problem isn't it. We're not able to attract a 35 year old to play for us without offering an obscene wage.

We're getting fleeced in general for all sorts of players.

The club doesn't project itself well during negotiations and is coming across as desperate.

roonster09

Scout
Even if we take the lower figure, would Lingard get 75k a week anywhere else? It's unlikely, especially as the other club would have to factor a transfer fee into the equation. I don't mind keeping him as back up, I just don't get why we felt the need to give him such a big pay rise in such circumstances.
Going by the same sources people use here Wickham earns 60K at Crystal Palace and they paid Adebayor around 70K per week.

roonster09

Scout
That's the problem isn't it. We're not able to attract a 35 year old to play for us without offering an obscene wage.

The club doesn't project itself well during negotiations and is coming across as desperate.
It's not any 35 year old. It's Ibrahimovic, player who scored nearly as many goals as Messi in last calendar year.

SirScholes

He deserves it in my opinion. It's clear Jose trusts him and whatever his limitations, you can't fault his application. Solid squad player.
How the hell anyone can watch his average performances and go "yip that guy deserves 400k a month" is beyond me

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Point is how do we even know whether the wages reported by the media is correct? They usually guess. How do we even know how the wages are structured or how highly he is rated by the coaching staff?

There might be lower basic wage with lot of performance related bonus, who knows.
Well, that's the premise of this thread and if you read the previous post, I did start with 'if the £75,000 + £25,000 reports are true'. If we insert the media-guess argument in every thread, we'd have very little to discuss because we can only base our opinions off what is being reported by the semi-credible media (unless we're ITKs with intimate and thorough knowledge of the club's dealings). And I don't particularly care about how he's rated by our staff because: a. they aren't always right (and neither am I) and b. as autonomous humans, and not part of some hive mind - we can make our individual assessments by watching in-game, and from that standpoint - anything approaching the reported figure is in dissonance with his quality. He is of a similar profile to Lucas Vázquez at Madrid, and he earns a reported ~£30,000 after tax till 2020 (which works out to ~£60,000 before tax). And in a sense, this isn't even about Lingard's salary - but the broader issue of how we overpay certain players when better ones can be procured for comparable wages, and how this could have a chain effect - in that the next time an academy player has 2 average-ish seasons - he's going to demand even higher wages because you've set a precedent by overpaying his seniors.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks

£220k for Ibrahimovic is obscene? That's just nonsense, he's one of the biggest stars in the game right now. Contracts aren't only about performance levels, but what they bring to the club overall

wolvored

Another reason could be he's come through the ranks and he's English. Could be due to a lack of youth players coming through and the 70 odd year record of having a former youth player in the squad at all times he has been given an high enough contract so he stays here. Just a thought

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
The way I see it, fair play to Lingard and his agent they got one hell of a deal.

But I think the majority of the criticism is aimed at the club for giving out such contracts, and rightly so.
Yeah absolutely, the fact they have managed to secure a contract like that is indeed fair play to them, totally agree.

And I agree on the second point completely too, if anyone is giving stick to United I understand that. Like I said I can't comment because I haven't see any instances, but if there are fans who are taking pot shots at Jesse they are wrong to do so, get behind the player.

wolvored

No. Luckily we have got rid of Basti who was one of our top-earners, Memphis & Schneiderlin (around 80-100k/w each), and Rooney will leave next summer, perhaps Youngy too (although I have no issue with him staying). That'd be around 700-800k/w saved with players who barely play.
Rooney may hang on yet. He's guaranteed his 300000 a week until 2019. He won't get that anywhere else

prtk0811

There is another club in Manchester now too who will pay anything to get what they want and challenge the united's status, As fergie said, You have to adapt and be prepared to change.

We were penny pinching in 2008 - 2013 market and that's where lot of our problems began.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Rooney may hang on yet. He's guaranteed his 300000 a week until 2019. He won't get that anywhere else
He won't (except China), that's true. It depends 100% on what Rooney himself wants. I think there might be a couple of interested clubs, but he'd have to lower his wage demands to the level of a player he is. As almost always when transferring to a smaller/less rich club, especially at that age/stage of career.

Turnip

likes to be spanked with games consoles
I love watching you guys lose your shit over this stuff, must have a lot of accountants on here.

I'm glad he's staying, when he scores he normally does it in style and out of the blue to win us the match, he works hard, keeps pogba happy, makes silly instagram videos, from mManchester.

I don't think he's the next Giggs, but we could do worse in a squad player. Not me paying his wages so I don't care how much they are.

AndyJ1985

Just seen Gary Neville say that if you think this is bad you aren't a true united fan

"true United fans" (e.g yourself and Gary Neville) wanted Moyes to stay.

Who is the the better supporter; those who blindly support no matter what, even when something is happening that is clearly damaging the club, or those who have the courage to stand up for what they believe is best for the club? I know who I have more respect for.

Status
Not open for further replies.