Lingard to join West Ham on loan

Maticmaker

They say 'never go back' and that is probably good advice for Jesse, he had some 'time in the sun' at United and he may find it again at West Ham.

After his barren spell and off the field problems and his return to the squad, on the few occasions he played for United before leaving for London, Jesse was, for me anyway, showing some of his old love for the game and his particular talents in his running off the ball; this now seems to be continuing and he is contributing to West Ham.

I think it was Alan Shearer who said playing for United is like "living in a gold-fish bowl" and it was one of the reasons he gave for resisting Fergie's (apparent) overtures to him. The pressure to perform at United is tremendous; ongoing and unrelenting, on players, managers, owners and probably back-room staff as well, so if you "cannot stand the heat stay out of the kitchen" like Shearer did. Hopefully, Jesse will for the most part look back on his time at OT with fondness, as he looks to rebuild his career at West Ham.

Best of Luck Jesse.

Lowkey

I am not against selling martial + dan james and having Rashford/Lingard as our options on the left. Greenwood/Diallo on the right. Cavanai + New number 9 (i.e. Kane or Haaland) as our front options.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
Nothing will change if he comes back. He won’t be a regular starter so he’ll never have the confidence and momentum he currently has at West Ham.

It wouldn’t be the worst deal for us but a step back into being a passenger for him.

Harold_Giles

Can't see this being anything other than a negotiation tactic.
Clearly out of favour with Ole, and rightly so.

His excellent form should bring us a decent fee to strengthen the team this summer.

Blueman

Supports
Man City
Di maria didn't perform because he never wanted to be here. He did well playing for real madrid and they probably have more media spotlight on them than us.
They have positive spotlight. They're winning.

Anyway, like I said I think Maguire will be the next. Perfectly good defender, probs first choice for his country, won the PL already with Leicester, hes a proven talent. Yet the media, Youtube fan channels, so called expert pundits all slate him as the reason utd are not winning... the board listen to the fans displeasure and then he's gone.

Its all just my opinion, I might be wrong but thats what I seen over the years. Its blimey crazy!

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
I shit you not.... Whats the common theme between Lingard, Lukaku, Di'Maria. They were all brilliant before they joined United, at Utd they came under the media scrutiny and spotlight where every single mistake is amplified... They leave United and they were actually good after-all. Too much pressure.

United get a rough ride in the media right now because they're not winning. The media highlight this player or that player being the problem - for the clicks and views, the fans believe it

It's true I tell ya, been watching United for years, it was the same for SAF at the beginning, but he was a phenomenom, he stuck to his guns and believed (For example) that "kids" can win the PL, or that Ronaldo was going to be as good as he was, despite what the media say.

It's happening with Maguire right now, I expect him to be the next expensive fall guy but he's probably the most important rock at the back who fights for the club, thats a rare commodity nowadays, but one or two mistakes under the spotlight and he's "shit". I dont believe it tbh
This doesn’t make any sense for Lingard though. He joined united at 7. What, he was brilliant when he was 6 years old? The highest points of his career are still all between 2016-2019 when he had spells of being a regular for us and England.

Maguire didn’t win the PL with Leicester either.

stevoc

I'm okay with this if we sell Dan James. We don't need 2 of these players in the squad.
Would rather just keep Dan James to fill the run around but don't do much role in the squad and get £15-20m for Lingard while teams think he might be worth it personally.

Paul_Scholes18

I hope we keep Lingard if we bring in a better manager that can use a player like him.

Under Ole though it might be pretty pointless to keep him, but it may work once we get a new manager in the future.

If he goes it is not a big problem I say if Pogba stays and we do not lose too many players without getting new ones.

copen1945

He is a player with the right mentality, which is a rare commodity. Hopefully, he would come back and thrive as he has been at West Ham.

Judas

Open to offers
I hope we keep Lingard if we bring in a better manager that can use a player like him.

Under Ole though it might be pretty pointless to keep him, but it may work once we get a new manager in the future.

If he goes it is not a big problem I say if Pogba stays and we do not lose too many players without getting new ones.
Is this a parody post? Use a player like him? You make it sound like Lingard is some difficult nut to crack, a unique talent that requires special management :lol: he's performing great under David Moyes! He needed a change of scenery and a fresh start. Honestly the lengths people go to mug off Ole, bloody hell.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
He is a player with the right mentality, which is a rare commodity. Hopefully, he would come back and thrive as he has been at West Ham.
His mentality is the reason that he failed at United.
I dont want to see him go back, Him and his social media can stay at West Ham and I hope he does well.

If United want to be taken seriously again then we need players better than Lingard.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Is this a parody post? Use a player like him? You make it sound like Lingard is some difficult nut to crack, a unique talent that requires special management :lol: he's performing great under David Moyes! He needed a change of scenery and a fresh start. Honestly the lengths people go to mug off Ole, bloody hell.
The traffic lights outside OT failed. If we had a better manager, that would never have happened.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I like Lingard and what he achieved here whilst he was our player. I feel the hatred that he received from our fans is unfair - but then again I think our rivals fans support of their club is better than what our fans ever does.

However, I still cant believe that Van De Beek is not the golden version of Lingard. As a CAM I dont see what Lingard has that Van de Beek doesnt except possibly some confidence in making a pass. The goal scoring, the hard work the good runs is how I see VDB as a player anyway - yet the benefit of VDB is that within the squad he can also play deeper in midfield better than Lingard ever could as he only plays CAM.

VDB is a more versatile and young version of Lingard and in theory he should be better

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
Yeah he's already our player though.
Yeah a player who most on here were happy to see the back of after he stunk out the place for a year if not more who after a short spell of good form is reportedly in talks to get back in the side with a new deal.

Godfather

No to him no matter how he performs in the upcoming weeks. Hope he does well though. Will increase is fee. I fear his form will drop massively though. He had this one or two good months spells for us as well. Followed by God awful performances

TheReligion

Abusive
Yeah a player who most on here were happy to see the back of after he stunk out the place for a year if not more who after a short spell of good form is reportedly in talks to get back in the side with a new deal.
Yeah. So anyway. As I said. Good replacement for Havertz? More potential too.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Only on kneejerk cafe would you find posts suggesting we get rid of Martial in place of Lingard.

AaronRedDevil

I think Ole is starting to realize we need more then 14 players to play in all these competitions each season. We need to keep him. We can't play the exact same player's every single week in every competition. As he has this season.

TheReligion

Abusive
Wasn't he banned from old Trafford after he stopped you getting Ronaldinho. I think that's a no go too mate.
Yes but he stole Cech and Robben when he went to Chelsea. I'm sure he can get the Lingard deal over the line for the right amount of Roman Roubles.

Marwood

I think Ole is starting to realize we need more then 14 players to play in all these competitions each season. We need to keep him. We can't play the exact same player's every single week in every competition. As he has this season.
Do you really think Ole has just realised this?

A guy whose played and now managed at the top level. Also a guy who has repeatedly spoken of the need for rotation. A guy who has rotated most of his players. A guy who just last week against Leicester was getting criticised for resting players.

Maguire, Bruno and Rashford have played a lot(nothing unusual in a team playing its best players most of the time). The remaining squad players have all been rotated nicely.

Lingard would have played more if he'd been performing. His exclusion wasn't down to Ole not wanting to rotate. Same goes for James, Williams and Bailly.

Abraxas

I like Lingard and what he achieved here whilst he was our player. I feel the hatred that he received from our fans is unfair - but then again I think our rivals fans support of their club is better than what our fans ever does.

However, I still cant believe that Van De Beek is not the golden version of Lingard. As a CAM I dont see what Lingard has that Van de Beek doesnt except possibly some confidence in making a pass. The goal scoring, the hard work the good runs is how I see VDB as a player anyway - yet the benefit of VDB is that within the squad he can also play deeper in midfield better than Lingard ever could as he only plays CAM.

VDB is a more versatile and young version of Lingard and in theory he should be better
Doesn't Lingard possess quite a few qualities Van de Beek has seldom or never shown, at least in a Manchester United shirt and in English football?

Namely, a degree of pace.

The ability to play direct football suited to our strengths, i.e. carrying the ball on the counter or playing a simple pass quickly.

Energy and athleticism to close people down quickly.

None of this is argument for Lingard staying necessarily but in any comparison it is VDB that comes off far worse with his limp displays that are very difficult to find any redeeming features within.

Red00012

Where have you been the last few years ???

Bringing out his own label , changing agents , putting everything he does up on social media that’s off the pitch while on it he runs around a lot and has no goal or Assist in about 2 years for us

The Original

Just in case you've all forgotten.

That said, good for Jesse, he's very clearly better being a big fish in a small pond than a small fish in a big pond. He will not replicate his West Ham form back at United, the pressure is too great here.
This is why his exit leaves a bitter taste for me. At this point in time, Ole was coming under increasing pressure for being a nice guy. He would follow this up with that interview where he talks about giving players chances and then binning them.

I accept that Lingard wasn't good enough for a while. I accept that moving on was the best move.

But Ole threw him under the bus to build his own reputation.

AgentSmith

This is why his exit leaves a bitter taste for me. At this point in time, Ole was coming under increasing pressure for being a nice guy. He would follow this up with that interview where he talks about giving players chances and then binning them.

I accept that Lingard wasn't good enough for a while. I accept that moving on was the best move.

We did also sign Bruno like a day after this match.

There’s binning a player and then there’s replacing a player in the team who’s in dreadful form with a world-class alternative.

SirScholes

doesn’t matter which manager he plays for he is rightly done here

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster

What absolute shit are your dribbling.

Jesse was fecking horrible and had gone months without goals and assists. He was misplacing passes and should have been frozen out sooner.