Lingard to join West Ham on loan

georgipep

Is he a better no10 than van de Beek?
Bruno, Donny and Jesse are 3 very different types of #10. Bruno is a creative playmaker who is also quite good at scoring. Donny is a dynamic connector who moves and exploits spaces. Jesse is a runner and almost a shadow striker who is great at pressing.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I agree but if Pogba leaves and we dont get Rice or another CM watch him come back.
I dunno I think if we were smart we’d realise he had umpteen chances to play like this and just cash in while his stock is high. We’d have given him away for free just 6 months ago.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Easily their best player. What a loan this turned out to be. Maybe he will be in England team for Euros, on his current form it's hard to leave him too.

justsomebloke

That's a huge, huge win for West Ham. They can now afford to lose to Everton and Chelsea and still get to 70 points with wins against Newcastle, Burnley, Brighton, West Brom and Southampton. Those 3 points today puts them in pole position to nick that 4th CL spot.

Hester_manc

1. How Rice would improve us is the fact that despite what numerous people seem to post about McTominay or Fred we don’t have a pure out and out defensive midfielder outside of Matic who’s legs went years ago, Rice would allow us to play Fernandes and Pogba together in the same team which would boost creativity which we desperately need seeing as teams play a heavy low block against us.

2. Garner is on loan at Nottingham Forest to get experience, he’s nowhere near ready hence why no Premier League clubs came in for him to loan.

3. That’s exactly the reason Lingard was where he was for us as he is NOT a winger or wide player, he’s a support striker/10 or a false 9 and as seen for West Ham he’s MUCH better centrally so bringing him back to throw him wide is more of the same from before and Lingard being pointless for us on the pitch.
1. You point out that we need a defensive midfielder. Even if that is true, Rice is not the answer. He's a good midfielder, but he's not material for a top 6 team in the best league.
I would prefer Fred to that position if we can not find a suitable solution

2. Garner is on loan for Forest and has been really good for them. The question is whether he is ready for the Premier League. He's worse than Rice right now and here. But he is a United talent and he has every chance of becoming our favorite No. 6. But he must also have the chance then, if we want him to become a succes. The question with a young player is always whether he is ready now. I think he can be used.

3. Lingard has played as a winger for us in many games. You can claim, that he was never good enough for us in that position, but he was not in a central position either.

Cloud7

I thought we were generally rubbish when we played Lingard as a 10.
We were. The only times he looked decent as a 10 was when we had Ibra on top, because he linked up decently with Ibra, but then that’s more because of how good Ibra is than anything else.

Lingard was never finding this form at United. That’s okay. Not every player can succeed at every club.

thepolice123

That's a huge, huge win for West Ham. They can now afford to lose to Everton and Chelsea and still get to 70 points with wins against Newcastle, Burnley, Brighton, West Brom and Southampton. Those 3 points today puts them in pole position to nick that 4th CL spot.
The battle for top 4 is extremely tight atm, I don't think they can "afford" to lose any games. Huge win today though.

Lee565

The change has obviously done him good but we didn't do him any favours by playing him on the right wing but that has been the same story with mata over the years.

If he was brought back though then potentially we could have both him and bruno playing centrally in the same side by using either lingard or bruno as a false 9 with either of the other playing behind them.

GwilDor

Seems like most people agree that it will be bedt for all parties to part ways this summer. Because:
- He doesn’t displace Bruno
- I strongly doubt he can deliver nearly at the same level without playing consistently.
- He’s not as good against low blocks(which he’ll encounter less often at teams like WH, Villa, Leeds, Leicester, and more often with United)

I think that will happen, and we need to remember this argumentation if he keeps delivering next season. It would be different at United. Players we can be interester in from above teams? Rice, Grealish, K.Phillips, Raphina, Maddison, Tielemans, Fofana?

Member 90887

Absolutely a golden chance to sell at a good price.

He is perfect for West ham, wouldn't sell under 20 mil at least.

marktan

I was expecting about £20m when he first started scoring, but if West Ham manage to get top 4 then with the extra money a fair value would be around £35m. Even without we'd probably get close to £30m given his form.

Skills

Snitch
Moyes always seems to get the best out of second strikers like Jesse. Cahill, Fellaini and even Rooney rediscovered his form at Utd under him.

Ranchero

Was fred a 28 yr old with a year left on his contract? Because that reduces the value significantly when a player has the option to just sit tight another season and sign anywhere in Jan.
£30m for Lingard is mental. Selling him is mental.

Barthez

Hope we keep him. No worse than what we have. Be bordering on negligence if we sell him now!

davidmichael

The reason we don’t do well against the low block teams isn’t because we don’t have a DM. Playing Bruno and Pogba isn’t the only answer. Most of the problem is actually in our forwards and the positions they take up, their use of the ball and how they compliment each other (or not) All of our play is out in front and Pogba and Bruno only further add to that dynamic. We need a lot more variation than just give it to Pogba Bruno or Rashford and see what they can do. I would argue that slows us down and makes us far more predictable. A Dm no matter how expensive would just be standing on watching all this happen ahead of him
That’s the whole point of signing Sancho too as Sancho isn’t a winger in that he’s much more of a wide playmaker in the same mould as Hazard. If you’ve got Sancho, Rashford, Fernandes and Pogba playing behind you as a centre forward you’d expect to get plenty of chances even against teams playing a low block but either way you need a pure out and out defensive midfielder to balance that out or we’d be overrun defensively.

1. You point out that we need a defensive midfielder. Even if that is true, Rice is not the answer. He's a good midfielder, but he's not material for a top 6 team in the best league.
I would prefer Fred to that position if we can not find a suitable solution

2. Garner is on loan for Forest and has been really good for them. The question is whether he is ready for the Premier League. He's worse than Rice right now and here. But he is a United talent and he has every chance of becoming our favorite No. 6. But he must also have the chance then, if we want him to become a succes. The question with a young player is always whether he is ready now. I think he can be used.

3. Lingard has played as a winger for us in many games. You can claim, that he was never good enough for us in that position, but he was not in a central position either.
1. I find it crazy that people on here still throw McTominay or Fred into the equation when talking about defensive midfielders when NEITHER of them are one, that’s why they’re played together as it’s the closest we have to one and why Matic isn’t trusted to be the sole defensive midfielder with Pogba and Fernandes playing together.

2. Being in form in The Championship and being ready to play in the Premier League couldn’t be any more different, take Daniel James as an example. Would you rather we stick with McTominay and Fred and pray either Fernandes or Rashford pull something out of the bag every game due to us not being able to play Pogba and Fernandes in the same team and balanced ?

3. Exactly, Lingard played lots of games as a winger or wide player and was so bad he’s been cast as the second coming of Satan on here at times due to how bad he was. Bringing him back to play wide right is a case of the definition of insanity is doing the same thing again and again and expecting a different outcome, we rarely played Lingard centrally with a full strength team but either way you don’t loan 28 year old players out if you’re planning on making them a long term part of your squad.

littleman

1. He's been as productive or more productive than Bruno since joining West Ham
2. He may not have that for MUFC
3. Nobody knows
4. MUFC should play this well by wanting Lingard back
5. If WH want Lingard, they will have to pay more because of (4)

Seasons are long. Bruno may be tired, or Bruno may be injured. We need a large team to compete for the biggest honors.

Can Lingard fill that hole? We don't know, but it's certainly better than putting 40m GBP into a new unknown player and incurring that risk.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
8 goals 3 assist in 9 games.
Why do we let him go on loan?

Feck me, we are all wrong about him.

Meanwhile VDB who cost use nearly 40m to replace Lingard, so far has 1 goals 1 assist in 29 games...

SirScholes

This post aged well
There are lots of average players like lingard who look decent in poor teams and would be poor in our team
Well done for playing well in a few games, same about the previous few seasons he was awful, there is a reason he is no longer wanted/needed at the club

SirScholes

8 goals 3 assist in 9 games.
Why do we let him go on loan?

Feck me, we are all wrong about him.

Meanwhile VDB who cost use nearly 40m to replace Lingard, so far has 1 goals 1 assist in 29 games...
Tbf if you compare lingard to lingard last few seasons you’ll see he’s out performing himself

SirScholes

1. He's been as productive or more productive than Bruno since joining West Ham
2. He may not have that for MUFC
3. Nobody knows
4. MUFC should play this well by wanting Lingard back
5. If WH want Lingard, they will have to pay more because of (4)

Seasons are long. Bruno may be tired, or Bruno may be injured. We need a large team to compete for the biggest honors.

Can Lingard fill that hole? We don't know, but it's certainly better than putting 40m GBP into a new unknown player and incurring that risk.
We know he can’t so I disagree

DSG

Those that think Lingard would be as productive in our system... well, he won’t. And he wasn’t. He works for West Ham because Moyes has a strong no 9 who has quality hold up play and Jesse does a great job running off of him.

Those of you who say Antonio wasn’t playing today, that’s true, but a knuckleball strike outside the box and a goal on a silver platter from Bowen...

stevoc

How have we got so little out of him since that Mourinho season when he looked good?

Got to look at our management of players and inability to get the best out of squad players.
To be fair if a players form is patchy to poor for 2-3 years under two different managers, then you have to look mostly at the player.

Robertd0803

Well if he was a West Ham player and putting in the performances and scoring the goals he is and we went looking to buy him how much do you think they would quote??

Tell them thats his price tag. Then see what they say about Rice being available.