Lingard to join West Ham on loan

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
The fundamental issue is, can Jesse produce this level of form at United? I have my doubts. He’s 28 now, so – given the choice between being an also ran at United or being the main man at West Ham...

I think this is one of those rare scenarios where a permanent move would suit all parties involved very well, even more so for United if we can use Lingard as leverage for Rice, someone who should be a pressing need.
He can't because he needs space to play in. He has that with West Ham and can be the main man at an upper mid table team and push them higher up. Some players can be brilliant players for smaller clubs but then struggle in different environments. He shouldn't ever go back to a club expected to dominate games IMO, a club that will be end to end most games or counter attack is what he needs, and work his way up that list.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
More open space + fewer expectations + less pressure = lingard on fire

Clearly its a psychological with him. I bet martial would be smashing in goals as well with the likes of west ham since he's also an emotional type of player.
Of course it’s psychological. He was very open about the psychological stress he went through over the last year or two. Which had nothing to do with football. There’s a lot of nasty twats in our fanbase who cut him no slack though.

AshRK

I have been critical of lingard and his attitude in the past but full marks to him for doing what he doing now. Always felt there was a decent player in him. Had he stayed grounded after the 2018 wc and not involved in those petty videos or acting like a man child he could have been a fine player for us. Glad he is doing a great job for whu.

acnumber9

Glad to see him showing that he is a good Premier League player. The criticism he got was well over the top.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
His non-penalty xG + xA per 90 will be comfortably ahead of Bruno in the league after today, unless Bruno does something wild against Spurs. Smaller sample size than Bruno of course, but Lingard has great underlying numbers too.
Smaller sample size indeed.

The point is we know for a fact that Lingard is nowhere near as good as his current form suggests and nowhere near as good as the players this purple patch sees him vying with. He is massively overperforming based on the years and years of performances we have seen from him up to now.

Which to my mind makes this a perfect opportunity to sell him. Especially given that at 28 this is as valuable as he will ever be. But other posters seem to potentially want him back, as if this brief purple patch we know won't last and know is unrepresentative of his quality as a footballer should count for more than the performances we saw in the years he was actually at the club.

Someone seemed to be suggesting on a previous page that judging Lingard so harshly was an example of short-termist caf thinking but judging him based on this form would be taking that to a new level entirely.

We should take the money and run.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Of course not, but try to make them both play together or at least get Lingard to perform when needed instead.
Bruno & Jesse will get in each other's way if played together. And the reason why Jesse is doing well is that ''the manager has confidence'' in him ie playing him week in, week out. We cant offer that to Jesse.

Its the right circumstances/system for Jesse. Lets just be happy for him.

Classical Mechanic

The point is we know for a fact that Lingard is nowhere near as good as his current form suggests and nowhere near as good as the players this purple patch sees him vying with. He is massively overperforming based on the years and years of performances we have seen from him up to now.

Which to my mind makes this a perfect opportunity to sell him. Especially given that at 28 this is as valuable as he will ever be. But other posters seem to potentially want him back, as if this brief purple patch we know won't last and know is unrepresentative of his quality as a footballer should count for more than the performances we saw in the years he was actually at the club.

Someone seemed to be suggesting on a previous page that judging Lingard so harshly was an example of short-termist caf thinking but judging him based on this form would be taking that to a new level entirely.

Totally agree. We probably won’t though.

Holocene

His non-penalty xG + xA per 90 will be comfortably ahead of Bruno in the league after today, unless Bruno does something wild against Spurs. Smaller sample size than Bruno of course, but Lingard has great underlying numbers too.
There's your conclusion.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Of course it’s psychological. He was very open about the psychological stress he went through over the last year or two. Which had nothing to do with football. There’s a lot of nasty twats in our fanbase who cut him no slack though.
Even now, when he's prior issues are pretty well known, you'll still have insensitive feckers queuing up to rinse him.

RedIan

Great to see Jesse enjoying his football. He scored some cracking goals for us in his better times including an FA cup final winner.
Cant be easy with mental health issues and the vast crushing weight of your own fans turning on you As so many do.

Okey

There can't still be much doubt about who's more valuable between Lingard and Rice on current form can there? Pay up Hammers! You can keep Rice if you want and we'll buy another DM with the money. I hear Ruben Neves might be available.

sglowrider

He’s already made quite a few people on here who supposedly know their stuff look totally stupid for their outspoken and childish views. championship player. Thank god a lot of you aren’t scouts
Tbf we have a few championship players in our squad incl Rashford according to that same lot.

Cloud7

We can be happy for Lingard (I very much am) while at the same time recognizing he probably wouldn’t reproduce this same form at United and is still probably better off leaving us in the summer. I hope West Ham decide to sign him permanently.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.

Yeah, I think United are correct to sell, but only if they are going to use that money to reinvest sensibly. No point selling Lingard off cheap or getting a decent price for him and failing to land any of your main targets. I find it hard to trust us right now to do the right thing in the market, after really poor summers in 2018 and 2020. It feels as if we only make real moves as a reaction to not making the CL, which we of course should do this year.

Munkehboi

In my opinion I don't think he has a future here anymore and I wish the lad the best for the future. Based on form, he will be in the England squad for Euro 2020 so let's hope he continues the purple patch with England, turn a few more heads and drive his price up even more.

sglowrider

We can be happy for Lingard (I very much am) while at the same time recognizing he probably wouldn’t reproduce this same form at United and is still probably better off leaving us in the summer. I hope West Ham decide to sign him permanently.
Hopefully, other clubs get involved too.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
His great Adebayor moment this, playing out of his skin for a nice fat contract, hopefully we're not the mugs to offer him £150k a week for the next 4 years...

The short memories in this place is staggering, he stank up this club for years, and even in his decent spell was never this productive, cash in on him asap, let him be someone else's burden when he resumes his 2 goal a season form after he signs a big contract.

Giggsy13

None of our current first team players are championship level. It’s thrown around all over the shop but it’s total BS
100%. it just goes to show the bias and absolute rubbish that’s gets written about United.

C'est Moi Cantona

He’s already made quite a few people on here who supposedly know their stuff look totally stupid for their outspoken and childish views. championship player. Thank god a lot of you aren’t scouts
He was an easy target, I was always amazed at how many were so quick to forget that purple patch he had under Jose, that all the managers post Fergie wanted him in the team, and the fact he had known off the field issues which clearly played a part.

Denis79

His great Adebayor moment this, playing out of his skin for a nice fat contract, hopefully we're not the mugs to offer him £150k a week for the next 4 years...

The short memories in this place is staggering, he stank up this club for years, and even in his decent spell was never this productive, cash in on him asap, let him be someone else's burden when he resumes his 2 goal a season form after he signs a big contract.
I think the system and his role at West Ham fits him nicely. Doesn't mean he'll do as well for us.

evil_geko

Really happy for him, but I hate all these "you were wrong about him" posts, lots of people were talking what they were seeing at the time, it is easy to be Captain Hindsight.

Anyway, I would play this lad instead of Martial tbh, Martial is a lot more talented but his attitude doesn't seem to be improving.

Dante

Average bang

And your memory is short for not remembering the cup finals he's helped us win before that.

Incidentally, Lingard's averaged a PL goal or assist every 210 minutes since he first debuted in 2015. That's taking our memory back all the way to the beginning. He's always been a good player.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
100%. it just goes to show the bias and absolute rubbish that’s gets written about United.
by the same standard only really Bruno could be classed as approaching world class for us and he’s been in very patchy form for a while. Shaw might get there if he keeps this up for another season. Rashford has a chance if he can get injury free. The truth is nearly always somewhere in the middle.

90 + 5min

From human point of view, we should all be happy for Lingard. He is doing well and his psychological status seems good. He is enjoying football.

From economic point of view, his value have been going steady up if We end up selling him. If We don’t, We get a player who finished season brilliantly and maybe can ride on this wave next season.

However you turn it this loan is a win-situation for everyone.