Lionel Messi is OFFICIALLY the Greatest Player of all Time (CONFIRMED OFFICIAL)

Ladron de redcafe

Ronaldo I think is at 84% while Messi at 78%. If I am not mistaken, around 78% of penalties are converted so statistically Messi is average while Ronaldo quite a bit above average.

Very few players are above 85% and almost no one is at above 90% (Bruno was at some stage).
When it counts (major tournaments), Ronaldo's penalty conversion rate drops to 75%. Messi remains at 78%.

RedDevil@84

Hardly any list these days that doesn't have him at the very top of the file as the Maradona vs Messi argument has started to shift more and more in the latter's favor.

A bit of recency bias maybe. And that list is a bit dodgy in general.

Ladron de redcafe

There will always be those who whinge about every list that comes out. But he's come up on top in multiple lists over the past few years.
The consensus is taking hold and many of those that had him second prior to his exploits at the world cup will be putting him at the top of the pile now.

Revan

Assumptionman
It is not a terrible list, considering that it comes from a single person.

There are some insane decisions there (Zidane and R9 ahead of Cristiano, or well, those two being in top 10), or Di Stefano not being in top 10, and might be the only list ever that has Beckenbauer ahead of Cruyff and Di Stefano, and Baggio in top 10 what the feck is doing, or ...

Actually, it is a pretty horrible list.

Saying that, it does not suffer from recency bias. It has only 12 players that played this century, 2 of which (R9 and Zidane) are there partially because of their achievements before 2000, and 1 (Baggio) completely cause of that. So less than 15% of players are those who played this century. So at the contrary, it has a bias for older players which were not as good as the ones who have played in the last 20 years.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
He's right though. The narrative after the world cup fed to you by the mass media is that Messi is the best player of all time, he won a World Cup after a penalty shoot out. As if the fickle tards in the media have been watching football for even 50 years, let alone 300. They don't even remember what they had for breakfast this morning.

You should do yourself a favour and do your own research. Go watch the Youtube highlights of Puskas, Maldini, Cruyff, Ronaldo, R9, Best, Di Stefano, Beckenbauer, van Basten, Muller, Lev Yashin, Garrincha, Eusebio, Zidane, Socrates, Meazza, Sindelar, Mazzola and Zico. I can assure you at the very least you would be inspired by their talents. I have watched hundreds of hours of Youtube highlights and Messi wouldn't crack my top 5.
I dont know why presume you presume that i havnt watched or watched footage of the players mentioned. You dont think i watched fecking Zidane, R9, Maldini and Cristiano Ronaldo for christ's sake?

Last edited:

Revan

Assumptionman
I dont know why presume you presume why i havnt watched or watched footage of the players mentioned. You dont think i watched fecking Zidane, R9, Maldini and Cristiano Ronaldo for christ's sake?
But have you watched hours of Giuseppe Meazza and Matthias Sindelar?

Let's be fair, this video (I think the only one that exists) of Sindelar proves that he was better than Messi.

Without replays, and at real-time speed, it should be around 20 seconds.

Look at the dribbling skills at 1:40 :drool: :drool: :drool:

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
Ronaldo I think is at 84% while Messi at 78%. If I am not mistaken, around 78% of penalties are converted so statistically Messi is average while Ronaldo quite a bit above average.

Very few players are above 85% and almost no one is at above 90% (Bruno was at some stage).
Obviously the more you take, the more likely you are to miss. But I remember hearing somewhere that Matt Le Tissier only missed one in his whole career.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
There will always be those who whinge about every list that comes out. But he's come up on top in multiple lists over the past few years.
The consensus is taking hold and many of those that had him second prior to his exploits at the world cup will be putting him at the top of the pile now.
Four Four Two do a list which they update periodically. They had Maradona at number one for ages IIRC and in their most recent one they put Messi at number one, and this was before the World Cup.

It's amazing what winning the World Cup can do for you, it has 10 times the prestige of any other trophy.

Revan

Assumptionman
Four Four Two do a list which they update periodically. They had Maradona at number one for ages IIRC and in their most recent one they put Messi at number one, and this was before the World Cup.

It's amazing what winning the World Cup can do for you, it has 10 times the prestige of any other trophy.
It is not a bad list, but very much biased towards oldies. Many modern awesome players like Ibra, Suarez, Lewandowski missing there. Also, Di Stefano in 12th is the lowest I have ever seen.

Dannn411

Any list that doesn't have Cristiano Ronaldo at least top 4 is a bad list. Yes he has a massive ego but that should not be grounds to discredit the career he has had. He absolutely ripped apart the 3 toughest leagues on the planet by a significant margin and has 5 Ballon D'ors while not being the most popular player with media. He's without question the greatest European footballer who has ever played. It's not close either.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
It is not a bad list, but very much biased towards oldies. Many modern awesome players like Ibra, Suarez, Lewandowski missing there. Also, Di Stefano in 12th is the lowest I have ever seen.
12 is definitely way too low for DiStefano. They also had Pele fourth in the latest one which is hilarious.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
Any list that doesn't have Cristiano Ronaldo at least top 4 is a bad list. Yes he has a massive ego but that should not be grounds to discredit the career he has had. He absolutely ripped apart the 3 toughest leagues on the planet by a significant margin and has 5 Ballon D'ors while not being the most popular player with media. He's without question the greatest European footballer who has ever played. It's not close either.
Johan Cruyff and Ferenc Puskas say hello.

mshnsh

To be fair, he was elite at dribbling. To a large degree cause he was very tall, fast and strong (unlike say Messi or Hazard who were not and so needed better dribbling skills), but he was effective as feck at that. He was routinely getting the ball near middle of the pitch, and skinning multiple defenders. Heck, he still has the record for more dribbles in an UCL match.

The problem though, is that Ronaldo the dribbler, was not scoring much for his standards. He was scoring 30-40 goals per season, but not the ridiculous 60+ which he developed later, but at the cost of losing dribbling skills.
No he wasn't. If you are talking of Ronaldo before 06/07, his dribbling was very very pointless despite probably a good number. Someone like Ben Arfa has good numbers but his dribbling often leads to nothing, Ronaldo was worse.

06/07 he was very good at meaningful dribbling. From 07/08 he became more of a goalscoring machine. His dribbling stats : 09/10 3.3/game 10/11 to 14/15 he hovered around 2 per game and thereafter has been on around 1 per game or less. Not elite at all.

mshnsh

He's right though. The narrative after the world cup fed to you by the mass media is that Messi is the best player of all time, he won a World Cup after a penalty shoot out. As if the fickle tards in the media have been watching football for even 50 years, let alone 300. They don't even remember what they had for breakfast this morning.

You should do yourself a favour and do your own research. Go watch the Youtube highlights of Puskas, Maldini, Cruyff, Ronaldo, R9, Best, Di Stefano, Beckenbauer, van Basten, Muller, Lev Yashin, Garrincha, Eusebio, Zidane, Socrates, Meazza, Sindelar, Mazzola and Zico. I can assure you at the very least you would be inspired by their talents. I have watched hundreds of hours of Youtube highlights and Messi wouldn't crack my top 5.
Complete nonsense from a salty Brazilian. I have seen many of those you've mentioned and not 1 of them was as good as Messi.

Swoobs

Supports
Florentina
Di Stefano and Beckenbauer say hello too

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Disagree. Indon't think he necessarily belongs in top 4. R9 is in front of him for mr and between him and Cruyff, Best, Beckenbauer, Zico, etc. it is a close call.

No he wasn't. If you are talking of Ronaldo before 06/07, his dribbling was very very pointless despite probably a good number. Someone like Ben Arfa has good numbers but his dribbling often leads to nothing, Ronaldo was worse.

06/07 he was very good at meaningful dribbling. From 07/08 he became more of a goalscoring machine. His dribbling stats : 09/10 3.3/game 10/11 to 14/15 he hovered around 2 per game and thereafter has been on around 1 per game or less. Not elite at all.
Cristiano definitely was an elite dribbler up until 2013 or so. No need denying it.

Camara

Supports
FC Porto
I’m going to have to call you out here if you’re saying that.
Find me two “people” who have said Ronaldo isn’t in top 10. People have slammed him (more so because of his disrespect to our club) but let’s not exaggerate things.
People may have stupidly labelled him a fraud, which he absolutely is not, but I don’t think I’ve read a comment here stating that he doesn’t squeeze into the top 10 somewhere.
I was exagerating but it wouldn't suprise me that it was said here :lol:
There are several posts, especially in the old Messi vs Ronaldo thread, trying to paint Ronaldo as a static tap in poacher having it all easy, which is ridiculous, and also putting other players ahead of him that IMO make no sense at all.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Completely agree. How can anyone put R9 ahead of him? Based on what? A momentary peak. These debates are always tedious.

mshnsh

Disagree. Indon't think he necessarily belongs in top 4. R9 is in front of him for mr and between him and Cruyff, Best, Beckenbauer, Zico, etc. it is a close call.

Cristiano definitely was an elite dribbler up until 2013 or so. No need denying it.
No he wasn't. His dribble completed per game in 2012/13 season was just above 2 per game which is not at all elite.

Camara

Supports
FC Porto
I see the nations league is now also counted as a “major” international tournament.
It's not a major international tournament, the teams there want to win it but they don't care much if they lose/are eliminated.

That said some people were comparing it (League A) to the Copa, and to be honest let's see the teams competing in both the last time:

Croatia
Denmark
Austria
France
Spain
Portugal
Switzerland
Czech Republic
Italy
Hungary
Germany
England
Netherlands
Belgium
Poland
Wales

vs

Argentina
Uruguay
Paraguay
Chile
Brazil
Bolivia
Peru
Colombia
Ecuador
Venezuela

And in the knockouts (last 3 times)

Croatia
Spain x2
Netherlands x2
Italy x2
France
Belgium
England
Portugal
England

vs

Argentina x3
Ecuador x2
Uruguay x2
Colombia x3
Brazil x2
Chile x3
Peru x3
Paraguay x2
Venezuela x2
USA
Mexico

So the Nations League has stronger teams in average and for an outsider to win you have to expect that several major nations are in an off-year.
This said it's obvious like I said that the Copa is a much more important competition.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Correct. Ronaldo had won Ballon D'or 5 times, and finish runners up for 7 times. There's not a single European player in history who has even reach half of his individual achievements, and that is with the huge disadvantage of competing with peak Messi throughout the same period too.

Imagine If we took Messi out from this era, Ronaldo would have won Ballon D'or 9 times. And If we place peak Messi to other era, his competitors might even struggle to win more than 1.

I can understand people ranking him below Messi, Pele and even Maradona. But how is he not the greatest European footballer and ranked below 4, is beyond common sense.

Revan

Assumptionman
Correct. Ronaldo had won Ballon D'or 5 times, and finish runners up for 7 times. There's not a single European player in history who has even reach half of his individual achievements, and that is with the huge disadvantage of competing with peak Messi throughout the same period too.

Imagine If we took Messi out from this era, Ronaldo would have won Ballon D'or 9 times. And If we place peak Messi to other era, his competitors might even struggle to win more than 1.

I can understand people ranking him below Messi, Pele and even Maradona. But how is he not the greatest European footballer and ranked below 4, is beyond common sense.
I personally would have him fourth (below Messi, Pele and Maradona), but think that he can be put as high as 2nd (below Messi) or as low as 6th (below Di Stefano and Cruyff).

Everything below that is really not being objective, and the idea that R9 was better than him is hilarious.

Dannn411

Completely agree. How can anyone put R9 ahead of him? Based on what? A momentary peak. These debates are always tedious.
It's a joke man. If you presented their achievements side by side to someone who had no idea about the sport and took out their names, not one person would pick R9.

Cristiano outscored Di Stefano at Real Madrid by over 100 goals and has the best goals per game ratio in the history of Real Madrid. There is no debate there.

Cruyff and Beckenbauer combined have 5 Ballon D'ors and 6 european cups. Ronaldo alone has 5 Ballon D'ors and 5 European cups in the most difficult era to win either of those trophies.

Zico and best are not in the same category. Not even worth discussing.

Literally the only arguments anyone can have against Ronaldo are things that relate to him not being aestethically pleasing to watch compared to others and the fact that he didn't play in 1970 and the fact that he has a big ego. There is very little in the way of objective reason to leave Ronaldo out of the top 4.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen

Because the same reasonjng that works against him in the Messi vs Ronaldo debate works against him when discussing CR7 vs R9, CR7 vs Cruyff, etc. etc.

I for instance find it absurd how anybody could have him over R9 when you actually saw R9 play football. As good as CR7 was, he doesn't come close to this level.

Ladron de redcafe

Cruyff is better. Simple as that.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Because the same reasonjng that works against him in the Messi vs Ronaldo debate works against him when discussing CR7 vs R9, CR7 vs Cruyff, etc. etc.

I for instance find it absurd how anybody could have him over R9 when you actually saw R9 play football. As good as CR7 was, he doesn't come close to this level.
Because it's about the longevity of his carreer isn't it? By the way R9 between 96 and 98 was way more impressive than Messi with the same age too...

Revan

Assumptionman

Why then R9 scored only once over 40 goals (Cristiano managed it 9 times, including 8 in a row), was not able to win UCL and win only one league, despite playing with PSV, Inter, Barca, Real and Milano. Also, why he couldn't win more than 3 Ballon D'Or despite not having Messi as a contender.

Maybe he just didn't like to win trophies, eh?

Saying that R9 was more talented is ok (debatable, but ok), but saying that he is better is frigging absurd.

Ladron de redcafe

Because it's about the longevity of his carreer isn't it? By the way R9 between 96 and 98 was way more impressive than Messi with the same age too...
But the argument isn't a 19 year old R9 against a 19 year old Messi. It's peak R9 against Messi and Messi at his best had arguably the highest peak in football history.

On the flip side, Cruyff, R9 and several others had higher peaks than Ronaldo.

If you want to focus on longevity, that's your prerogative but others value peks play more.

Things are only conclusive when a player has a higher peak AND better longevity/total career accomplishments.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Why then R9 scored only once over 40 goals (Cristiano managed it 9 times, including 8 in a row), was not able to win UCL and win only one league, despite playing with PSV, Inter, Barca, Real and Milano. Also, why he couldn't win more than 3 Ballon D'Or despite not having Messi as a contender.

Maybe he just didn't like to win trophies, eh?

Saying that R9 was more talented is ok (debatable, but ok), but saying that he is better is frigging absurd.
This is doing fatty a bit of disservice the poor lad basically had only 2 years at the top before his knees gave up and was riddled with injuries and in those 2 years he broke goalscoring records at Barcelona and put up breath taking numbers at the hardest league to score in also at the time he played in those teams neither of them were the biggest dogs around so again hard to hold that against him.

In the end he doesn't rank in the top 10 players of all time because how lamentably short his peak was but that was beyond his control.

Last edited: