Lionel Messi is OFFICIALLY the Greatest Player of all Time (CONFIRMED OFFICIAL)

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Not for me. Messi clearly has achieved more than Ronaldo, and with the WC he has surpassed Drugo… I mean Diego Maradona as Argentina’s best ever. But Pele won 3 WCs which puts him above Messi.
I think it's fine to rate Pele as the greatest but it should be based on performances not number of WCs. As per that Mbappe winning this WC would have put him above Maradona. Makes no sense.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
It's always interesting to see when great players decide to retire at least from the spotlight / major leagues. For Messi this is not going to be topped really. Wherever he plays, it'll be a slow but sure regression into becoming a 'normal' footballer. Part of me thinks this kind of conclusion to a career is something nobody can ask for or expect so it's a perfect time. But of course it's hard for players to leave what they're used to and what keeps them ticking.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
I’m somewhat relieved the whole Messi vs Ronaldo debate has been largely put to bed with this one. Aside from a few die hard delusionists.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Messi vs Ronaldo is now I think 100% clear cut in Messi’s favour. That’s not to say that Ronaldo wasn’t also an amazing player.

Personally I think the World Cup win has ticked the final box for me to say I think he’s the best ever but it will always be close with Maradonna.

At 35 years old to have done what he’s done this WC is sensational.

Real Name

I wrote this in response to a post (Pre semi final I think) asking would Messi be recognized as Maradonas equal (or higher) if he were to win the world cup but I think it applies here.

I think he will be a lot closer (especially with the younger generations who are more critical of Maradonas flaws) but ultimately most will favor Diego due to reasons that are hard for non Argentines to understand.

I wasn't born in Argentina, I just reside here (for my sins) so it took me awhile to appreciate what Maradona means to the Argentine people.

I'd frequently get into "debates" with friends and family who would ignore pretty much any stat I could give that would show Messi's superiority over Maradona etc but year on year I grew to appreciate the fact that while you can attempt to quantify their rationale (The world cup) the love/ appreciation they have for Diego Maradona is unquantifiable.

It's emotional and spiritual and although he was one of the finest footballers In the history of world football it's nearly secondary to the feelings of hope that he gave an entire nation in bleak times.

Had Maradona died when I first arrived I wouldn't have understood the significance of the event, after some years here I could empathise with my friends and family members who wept tears of sadness that he was finally gone while crying tears of joy when talking about the impact he had on their lives.

Messi can't do that.

He can't recreate the feeling around Argentina around the fall of the Military Junta and the Malvinas (Falklands) War.

Diego fought for them at their lowest point and won.

Argentina is a beautiful country with a proud people but in many ways the beauty is only skin deep and superficial while the pride is rooted in events that move further away as time passes.

Spend enough time here and you feel the profound sadness, the country feels like an ageing supermodel/movie star desperately clinging onto their youth when they were the best thing around and are now struggling to come to terms with their wrinkles and weight gain.

They long for years gone by.

You see the collapse of a great nation in its older buildings, built to the highest standards years ago during prosperous times but falling into disrepair nowadays alongside signs on stores (abandoned now) when the dollar and peso had parity (it's around 300/1 now).

This country is in desperate need of a hero and I really hope that Messi can do it for all of us here.

If he does he will be second only to Diego IMO but he won't replace him as God around these parts (but to be honest no body could).
Beautiful, thank you for this. Yeah I get it, love for Diego surpasess football itself, its bigger than football and life.

Messi had a lot of criticism in Argentina before as I gather so its great that he acomplished this and will be forever noted in Argentinian history.

Maybe its for another thread so we can move it there, but how's life in Argentina right now in general? From a few bits you wrote it sounds not so great.

Ladron de redcafe

Ronaldo has never won a player of the tournament at the WC nor Euros.

Only the biggest Ronaldo acolytes would think there's still a debate.
And Messi has 4 international player of the tournament awards. He's also the only player in history with multiple World Cup golden balls.

This isn't a debate. One is among the best performers on the international level in the sport's history. The other couldn't ever do it at the World Cup.

Ladron de redcafe

Now the debate for most of his acolytes (except the most deluded ones) has ended with Messi, they turned their attention to Pele or Maradona. Those 3 belonged to a tier of their own, there is no need to shoehone CR7 in, he does not belong there.

Is it such a shame that CR7 is compared to the likes of Cruyff, Beckenbaur, Platini, Di Stefano and R9 in the next tier?
Hilarious, isn't? As if he belongs with them :lol:

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
And Messi has 4 international player of the tournament awards. He's also the only player in history with multiple World Cup golden balls.

This isn't a debate. One is among the best performers on the international level in the sport's history. The other couldn't ever do it at the World Cup.
I think Messi is the best I've ever seen by some distance btw, but this point I think is overstated. However there's pros and cons.

The WC has a 92 year history. That's 23 World Cups in history. Let's unpack it a little to be objective.

As per the wiki:

The current award was introduced in the 1982 FIFA World Cup, sponsored by Adidas and France Football
That's 10 world cups (40 years of WCs hosted every 4 years).

You're basically saying he's won 20% of all Golden Balls.

The World Cup happens so irregularly, and the Golden Ball is still a recent memory that of course in terms of rarity it sounds impressive but maybe not.

Pros
There's hundreds of players and someone in peak form can win it in a year, through scoring a lot of goals, so Messi winning it twice is a testament to his longevity 2014 and 2022.

In terms of rarity its probably the rarest prize in football or one of the rarest, since one player at a WC can take it home.

Negatives
However, It's such a new award that it's only been handed out ten times. If this was awarded in all WCs since the WC started 92 years ago more players would have won 2 golden balls and a WC.

What makes it impressive to me is Maradona only won one when he had stand out tournaments multiple times, but I don't think the sample size is large enough to be significant.

Messi has been stellar for 3 WCs though in my eyes, not taking anything away from who I think is the GOAT seen him play in person many times. But I just don't feel its been awarded enough, it's such a tiny slice of footballing history.

Football only got heavily commercial in the 1970s and Adidas started to get their fingers into the WC.

Taking nothing away from him though, it's just say you take the Nations League as an example you can say Portugal have won 50% of all Nations League when only 2 teams have been awarded it.

FYI no player has ever won more than one Golden Ball though before Messi, it points more to his longevity in the era of modern football which I think its amazing.

LochGormanAbú

Supports
Liverpool
Maradona has a fraction of the goals and assists of Messi. The greatest player is clear and obvious
Maradona winning the league with Napoli and world cup with a much inferior Argentinian side to this one is a strong part of his case. Also different era's, if Diego played in this era and wasn't such a nut case, I have no doubt his numbers would be far greater than they were, but it's not all about numbers. Ability with a football, Maradona for me still the greatest but Messi has definitely just enhanced his side of the argument while Ronaldo continues to tarnish his.

Ladron de redcafe

Maradona winning the league with Napoli and world cup with a much inferior Argentinian side to this one is a strong part of his case. Also different era's, if Diego played in this era and wasn't such a nut case, I have no doubt his numbers would be far greater than they were, but it's not all about numbers. Ability with a football, Maradona for me still the greatest but Messi has definitely just enhanced his side of the argument while Ronaldo continues to tarnish his.
I agree. The sport has changed, obviously. We can't use statistics to compare eras because formations weren't expansive in the mid 80s (especially Seria A when the top scorers list had people hovering around 15 goals).

Maradona's argument would be his peak (the 1986 world cup and obviously dragging Napoli to the league title twice with 2 second placed finishes).

Lord SInister

where grasses are green and girls are pretty
Are you seriously suggesting that current Argentina team is superior to Maradona's Argentina?

I find it hilarious how people make it like either Napoli of 80s or Argentina of 80s were bunch of farmers with Maradona. While their is no doubt Maradona was the key driving force, and his performances were outstanding, but to suggest that his Argentina was inferior to current one is revisionism .

LochGormanAbú

Supports
Liverpool
Are you seriously suggesting that current Argentina team is superior to Maradona's Argentina?

I find it hilarious how people make it like either Napoli of 80s or Argentina of 80s were bunch of farmers with Maradona. While their is no doubt Maradona was the key driving force, and his performances were outstanding, but to suggest that his Argentina was inferior to current one is revisionism .
Fair point, I think it's when you look at the 1990 WC and Maradona dragging them to the final with a definite average side that we can forget the 86 edition was actually very strong. Napoli were of course a good side, but still never winning those titles without Diego, but maybe some romanticism too as Naples such a poor unfashionable part of Italy compared to the giants of Milan, Turin and Rome.

kthanksbye

Messi is clearly the best player of his generation, Ronaldo is clearly 2nd best, Messi is clear of him and he's clear of the next tier that has the likes of Modric Benzema.
I don't think this needs to be exemplified further.

Swordsman

are these so called much inferior Argentinian side Sunday league players ?

redcucumber

The fact that people are genuinely trying to shoehorn the Nation's League into any conversation about career achievements is fecking hilarious.

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
Him and Maradona are neck and neck ability wise. Messi did it for longer at the highest level. Maradona played in a much rougher era when the pitches were shit and he could get kicked to pieces. So, yeah it's hard to pick between them.

I've seen so little of Pele but by all accounts he was equal to them.

In other words, it's a toss up.

YikesSchmeics

It’s posts like this which make this whole debate into an absolute shambles. I can understand entirely why to many people now or even before messi is the GOAT but it’s the dismissal of ronaldos achievements which is absolutely absurd like they both haven’t elevated each other to the ridiculous levels they went to.

Imagine calling ronaldo a fraud, wow
The debate was long ago made a shambles in my mind by the Ronaldo sides inability to make their mind up on their own imaginary GOAT criteria. Goals (but not goals per game or goals+assists)? International trophies (only as far as 2016)? Leagues won in different countries (as opposed to absolute number of leagues won)? And so on. I think people are also tired of the Ronaldo fanboys making out like he played in tuna-can sides that won things because of this one Roy of the Rovers esque player. Ronaldo played in a Man United team that won leagues and got to CL Final without him, a Real Madrid side with 2 Balon D'Or winners and who continued to win leagues and CL without him, a Juventus side that had won every league for almost a decade and Portugal teams that were stacked with talent - let's not forget that "Golden Generation" that was making SF and lost 2004 Final with Figo, Rui Costa, Deco etc. And yet every single trophy won by those sides is attributed to him, and only him. The Ronaldo fans have consistently moved the goalposts. When he was part of the team that won the Euros that "settled", and no doubt now that Messi has had the objectively better international career, that won't matter. People are just laughing at this point.

Meanwhile Messi is portrayed as having only won what he has won due to the stacked teams he has played in. Despite Barcelona falling off a cliff without him. Or Argentina almost not qualifying without him. It isn't a reach to describe this current Argentina team as the least talented collectively of any team either of them played for .... I know United last year was a worse team but it had a lot of talent in it. But as always it will be made out that this Argentina team is stacked with generational talent instead of made up of players from Villa, Lyon, Benfica, Spurs, Brighton etc.

The reality is, both of them were great. But I personally wonder about the comprehension of football of anyone who puts CR7 in GOAT status. Comparable to Messi in longevity and goals scored but behind in terms of goals per game and dribbling (Ronaldo was great when younger but his dribbling ability faded, Messi remains a brilliant dribbler even now) and absolutely miles behind in terms of passing, assisting and dropping to midfield to control a game. How someone can look at that collective set of facts and stats, and think it should be measured on pure goalscoring, even when Messi wins out on goals per game, is beyond me.

Vialli_92

Supports
Juventus
The debate was long ago made a shambles in my mind by the Ronaldo sides inability to make their mind up on their own imaginary GOAT criteria. Goals (but not goals per game or goals+assists)? International trophies (only as far as 2016)? Leagues won in different countries (as opposed to absolute number of leagues won)? And so on. I think people are also tired of the Ronaldo fanboys making out like he played in tuna-can sides that won things because of this one Roy of the Rovers esque player. Ronaldo played in a Man United team that won leagues and got to CL Final without him, a Real Madrid side with 2 Balon D'Or winners and who continued to win leagues and CL without him, a Juventus side that had won every league for almost a decade and Portugal teams that were stacked with talent - let's not forget that "Golden Generation" that was making SF and lost 2004 Final with Figo, Rui Costa, Deco etc. And yet every single trophy won by those sides is attributed to him, and only him. The Ronaldo fans have consistently moved the goalposts. When he was part of the team that won the Euros that "settled", and no doubt now that Messi has had the objectively better international career, that won't matter. People are just laughing at this point.

Meanwhile Messi is portrayed as having only won what he has won due to the stacked teams he has played in. Despite Barcelona falling off a cliff without him. Or Argentina almost not qualifying without him. It isn't a reach to describe this current Argentina team as the least talented collectively of any team either of them played for .... I know United last year was a worse team but it had a lot of talent in it. But as always it will be made out that this Argentina team is stacked with generational talent instead of made up of players from Villa, Lyon, Benfica, Spurs, Brighton etc.

The reality is, both of them were great. But I personally wonder about the comprehension of football of anyone who puts CR7 in GOAT status. Comparable to Messi in longevity and goals scored but behind in terms of goals per game and dribbling (Ronaldo was great when younger but his dribbling ability faded, Messi remains a brilliant dribbler even now) and absolutely miles behind in terms of passing, assisting and dropping to midfield to control a game. How someone can look at that collective set of facts and stats, and think it should be measured on pure goalscoring, even when Messi wins out on goals per game, is beyond me.
Agreed.
End of thread.

Bosnian_fan

Supports
Sarajevo

Great post.

Josh 76

Him and Maradona are neck and neck ability wise. Messi did it for longer at the highest level. Maradona played in a much rougher era when the pitches were shit and he could get kicked to pieces. So, yeah it's hard to pick between them.

Summed up well as can be.

Another point people fail to mention is Maradona won things in the late 70s and early 80s , when South American football was good as, if not better than European football. The 1978 Argentina team had all their players, bar Kempis, who played in South America and the 1982 Brazil team had the same (Falco was the exception). Then you had Flamengo, who destroyed Liverpool in the World Club Cup in that era.

Maradona was dominating it as a teenager. Incredible!

Ish

Lights on for Luke
I think debating @SportingCP96 is pointless. Its not like he's going to back down, which is admirable I guess. I do hope he isn't getting too worked up by it all. Being the last man standing for CR7 on this forum is tough.
It’s really not admirable, IMO. It’s actually a much better trait (for various reasons) for someone to put up their hand, fess up and change their minds when the facts/reality changes and shows a different direction. To be so dead set in one way of thinking/one opinion is not healthy.

Tarrou

Yeah this is a good way of looking at it - and agree with your assessment. I'd pick Messi but obviously seen way more of him, and it just comes down to personal preference at the end of the day.

Over the years I've had periods where I thought Diego was the best and periods where I thought it was Pele, it's impossible to make a clear distinction really.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
It’s really not admirable, IMO. It’s actually a much better trait (for various reasons) for someone to put up their hand, fess up and change their minds when the facts/reality changes and shows a different direction. To be so dead set in one way of thinking/one opinion is not healthy.
Yeah. I’ve mentioned that I wonder how his mental health is, as he’s debating the same thing over and over. I’ve been on message forums since 1999 and at one point I had to stop getting into heated debates because it used to take a toll on my mental health. Maybe he deals with it better than me though. But it would drain the feck out of me :lol:

FriedClams

The one tournament where Ronaldo has a better goal contribution record is the Europa league.

KeanoMagicHat

Yeah 1986 and 2022 are very similar, in fact maybe the worst teams that have won if you took one player out - Messi and Maradona. Both teams have been by far the most reliant on a single player.

Ruggeri from 1986 was a better defender than anyone in 2022. He won everything in South America that year, he was only in La Liga for one season and he won the league and foreign player of the year. Batista and Burruchaga were as good as any of their centre mids, although Fernandez may go on to greater things.

fallengt

Almost everyone knows who Maradona is but does everyone know who is Johan Cruyff?
See the problem? For football fans, Cruyff is an absolute legend but for non football fans, he's nobody. Without something to cement your legend status, it will fade in time.

Last edited:

CruyffMaradonaMessi

Supports
FC Barcelona
There is no longer any serious debate whatsoever when it comes to the idiotic comparisons between Lionel Messi and C. Ronaldo. Messi has always been the superior player and talent with the superior career resume. The amazing World Cup win, breaking several records in the process, and having one of the best World Cup performances in history at the freaking age of 35.5 years and winning arguably the most dramatic World Cup final in history in the process, was just a giant cherry on top of the cake.

Messi is in a different stratosphere and only the likes of Maradona and Pelé can even be compared with him.

The final chapters in Messi's book are yet to be written, he, Mbappé, Neymar and PSG can make life even more miserable for the C. Ronaldo brigade later this season to further put a few more nails in the already buried coffin.

The coping is a sight to behold. Please carry on, especially that Portuguese Sporting caricature of a character. What a sight to behold that guy is. This thread is redundant at this point in time but his and his likes meltdowns alone, is worth it all. Obrigado, vizinho.:lol:

Last edited:

AndySmith1990

Aye, it's one trait which makes social media so hostile and hateful; so many people simply refusing to back down from their way of thinking no matter what. I guess they see it as a sign of weakness

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
The problem is, people just use stats, trophies and individual awards to argue in the favour of who is better.

For crying out loud, just watch them play and it's so clear cut that Messi is a level above and always has been.

Swordsman

Almost everyone knows who Maradona is but does everyone know who is Johan Cruyff?
See the problem? For football fans, Cruyff is an absolute legend but for non football fans, he's nobody. Without something to cement your legend status, it will be faded in time.
I still remember there wasn't much news on social media when Cruyff when he passed compared to Maradona passing which creates a big hoo haa, even the imbecilic minster from my country comment on his passing.

Eddy_JukeZ

There's literally zero debate one can make for Ronaldo over Messi.

He trumps him in pretty much everything. Ignoring the quite obvious fact he's simply a better footballer, he's now easily a greater footballer too. That was the only real argument Ronaldo fans had to propel him over Messi all-time, and that's now dead in the water after this WC.

The only 2 players you can make arguments for are Pele and Maradona. And those arguments will be tough because of the extremely different eras all 3 played in.

If you value longevity, Pele's got a better argument than Maradona.

If you value peak performance, Maradona's got a better argument than Pele.

Really depends on the criteria. All 3 of them sit on their own table for me with a clear gap to the players in the tier below them.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
See the problem? For football fans, Cruyff is an absolute legend but for non football fans, he's nobody. Without something to cement your legend status, it will fade in time.
A lot of non football fans have never heard of many great players who won the WC.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
There's literally zero debate one can make for Ronaldo over Messi.

He trumps him in pretty much everything. Ignoring the quite obvious fact he's simply a better footballer, he's now easily a greater footballer too. That was the only real argument Ronaldo fans had to propel him over Messi all-time, and that's now dead in the water after this WC.

The only 2 players you can make arguments for are Pele and Maradona. And those arguments will be tough because of the extremely different eras all 3 played in.

If you value longevity, Pele's got a better argument than Maradona.

If you value peak performance, Maradona's got a better argument than Pele.

Really depends on the criteria. All 3 of them sit on their own table for me with a clear gap to the players in the tier below them.
Has he? Why? Please explain.

genardk

Supports
Juventus
2005 FIFA U-20 Champions + MVP
2008 Olympics Champions + MVP
2014 FIFA World Cup 2nd + MVP
2015 Copa America 2nd + MVP
2021 Copa America Champions + MVP
2022 Finalissima Winners + Man of the Match
2022 Fifa World Cup Champions + MVP

enough said...

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
First Take is a good example — every time I catch some of it, they’re just comparing and critiquing each others’ lists!
Definitely. And it seems like they often compile 'cross sport GOAT lists' as well, comparing Lebron vs. Brady vs. Mayweather, debating who should be on a Mount Rushmore for sports stars etc. As a tennis fan, I found it embarrassing when they discussed the female GOAT in tennis as well.

I'm not sure if that's still the case (I haven't caught it for a while), but I remember when the Undisputed used to spend about 75% of the time discussing the Cowboys (including when the NFL playoffs were on and the Cowboys weren't part of them), Brady and Lebron (with Skip Bayless and Shannon Sharpe of course taking polar opposite stances re Brady and Lebron). Skip Bayless probably controls the agenda and so ensured that his 3 favourite topics were shoe-horned in time after time. The 25% of the time that they branched out and discussed other topics was significantly more enjoyable.

Joeyfromtheblock

Supports
eintracht frankfurt
I love those silly goat debates. In the end, it's personal preference.

Can we really just use boring stats? What about the dozen of things that no one can control but have a huge impact on a player's career? Like having the wrong trainer, injuries, bad luck, bad day form, good luck, short career, private life drama (hi adriano) etcetera.

There are many "what if...?" in football.

In my little humble opinion if we go by raw talent, it can only be R9. If people like Zlatan, Zidane, Henry, Messi, Mourinho, Luis enrique, F. Torres, Nesta, maradona, Ronaldinho, Klose & co. say that this dude is prob the greatest they ever saw, might mean something. And I think we can compare 90s players a lot better to today's players too. Much better than a Pele/Müller/Beckenbauer to today.

Schneckerl

Has he? Why? Please explain.
I wouldn't agree with Maradona having a better peak than Pelé, either, unless we are talking about single tournament performance over a month.
Pelé arguably had a higher (or at least equal) one or three-year peak than Maradona from '59-'61 and might compare to Messi in that regard.