Lionel Messi is OFFICIALLY the Greatest Player of all Time (CONFIRMED OFFICIAL)

Jericho

I think him not retiring after the World cup is what makes me think he could possibly change his mind.

I do think he will most likely make it to the next Copa America.
I agree with this part. Many thought he would/should retire after winning the world cup but I think he wants to play for Argentina for a little while as the champions of the world.
It's all very hard to predict though, at his age things can change very fast.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
I agree with this part. Many thought he would/should retire after winning the world cup but I think he wants to play for Argentina for a little while as the champions of the world.
It's all very hard to predict though, at his age things can change very fast.
For the first time, I think he can genuinely play for Argentina without the pressure.

The last 7/8 years were horrible for him in terms of the pressure. Especially when he lost those 3 finals in succession.

And I honestly think he still has something to give. Possibly for the next few years.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
Too much work to do in midfield. You need legs in the modern pressing game.

I don't mind him giving PSG and the CL a few more goes but I hope he doesn't for the CL record. It isn't that meaningful imo unless you're starring and with a chance to win the team trophy.
I dont think his legs are completely gone though. And what he lacks in youthful energy, he makes up in the best football brain possibly to ever exist. At 35,he was making some players half his age look very bad. I also think modern athletes tend to last longer nowadays. Serena and Roger did in tennis.

Maybe I believe too much in him! But he's Messi!

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
I dont think his legs are completely gone though. And what he lacks in youthful energy, he makes up in the best football brain possibly to ever exist. At 35,he was making some players half his age look very bad. I also think modern athletes tend to last longer nowadays. Serena and Roger did in tennis.

Maybe I believe too much in him! But he's Messi!
But he is no midfielder. He may drop as deep and make the play but that doesn't mean he can nominally play this position. The top CMs in the world run 12+ kilometres per game. I believe Brozovic set the record of 16+ km at the WC. Messi averages around 8 km. I mean, never say never but considering this I think it is highly unlikely that he suddenly adds 4-5 kilometres per game to his work rate after 15 years of leaving stuff such as closing down space, covering attackers, etc. to others. If anything, he'd cover the possession part of the position while the nominal CM drifts out wide to provide width or some tactical nuance like this.

I wouldn't rule out that he continues playing for a few years though but definitely not as a CM. He'll remain in the role he currently has.

VanKenny

But he is no midfielder. He may drop as deep and make the play but that doesn't mean he can nominally play this position. The top CMs in the world run 12+ kilometres per game. I believe Brozovic set the record of 16+ km at the WC. Messi averages around 8 km. I mean, never say never but considering this I think it is highly unlikely that he suddenly adds 4-5 kilometres per game to his work rate after 15 years of leaving stuff such as closing down space, covering attackers, etc. to others. If anything, he'd cover the possession part of the position while the nominal CM drifts out wide to provide width or some tactical nuance like this.

I wouldn't rule out that he continues playing for a few years though but definitely not as a CM. He'll remain in the role he currently has.

He doesnt have to be a starter. He could be the definition of a super sub, assuming he stays relatively fit playing for his club by then. He may lose 20-30% of his current speed/acceleration in the next 3.5 years, but a fresh, well rested and motivated Messi going at full throttle for 30-40 minutes could be a game changer. IMO its just a matter of whether or not he wants to make it to the next world cup, but the manager could definitely make it work.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Caught the highlights. That was one smooth goal. He seemed to be involved with most good things for psg in attack

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
That's a strange way for you to form an opinion
It's logic, most of the people who make up this kind of discussion in 10 years will have never seen Messi or Ronaldo play, same as the folks today have never seen Pele or Maradona or Cruyff

IMO there is not such thing as a GOAT, only the greatest player of their era

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Both at their peak Ronaldo was great, but Messi is also an insane playmaker.

Ronaldo you need to be near to the box, Messi can also play a pin point ball from deep, and split a defence without scoring.
Although most people impressions on Ronaldo maybe during his most successful period (post 2015) when he won 3 CL in the row, Euro, and match Messi 5 Ballon D’ors. But actually Ronaldo in his performance peak during 07-14 doesn’t really need to be near to the box at all to make any impact. He mostly start his attack move from wings or deep from final third or midfield, as you can see below from his 11-12 season.

You may argue Ronaldo post 2015 wasn’t a match to Messi in terms of their performance level (even though they are quite equal in terms of stats, with Ronaldo arguably even better in terms of impact). However, Ronaldo during his performance peak isn’t just what you have described there, he was far more than that, if fact he was at very close to Messi level, and I personally think they are quite equal during those period.

Only main difference for me is, Messi has better teammates during their very peak years (with Ronaldo having better teammates in post 2015 after his peak) Of course people could argue on details such as Messi being better dribbler/playmaker/passer, or Ronaldo being better in counter attack move/header/long range shot etc. But all in all I thought they performance level are very much at similar level during their very peak.

Last edited:

Ladron de redcafe

Although most people impressions on Ronaldo maybe during his most successful period (post 2015) when he won 3 CL in the row, Euro, and match Messi 5 Ballon D’ors. But actually Ronaldo in his performance peak during 07-14 doesn’t really need to be near to the box at all to make any impact. He mostly start his attack move from wings or deep from final third or midfield, as you can see below from his 11-12 season.

Buddy its a Messi thread. Stop polluting it with videos of a lesser player.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
It's logic, most of the people who make up this kind of discussion in 10 years will have never seen Messi or Ronaldo play, same as the folks today have never seen Pele or Maradona or Cruyff

IMO there is not such thing as a GOAT, only the greatest player of their era
I think it works both ways. People who saw more of Pele and Maradona or consider those respective eras to be the one they hold dearest would have a preference for them. And the ones who identify more with the current generation would be more eager to annoint Messi. Then there are those who have seen the recent / last 30 years only but want to hold a view based on their PhD in football (usually stats, trophy count and youtube).

I agree with your last sentence. I mean there may well be but it's impossible to make comparisons across 40/60 years. Which is why I always stick to who is the best I've seen in my short 2.5 decades of watching footy and that's Messi by far. Beyond that, feck knows and don't care either.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
I think it works both ways. People who saw more of Pele and Maradona or consider those respective eras to be the one they hold dearest would have a preference for them. And the ones for whom the more recent period would be more eager to anoint Messi. Then there are those who have seen the recent only but want to hold a view based on their PhD in football (usually stats and trophies).

I agree with your last sentence. I mean there may well but it's impossible to make comparisons across 40/60 years. Which is why I always stick to who is the best I've seen in my short 2.5 decades of watching footy and that's Messi by far. Beyond that, feck knows and don't care either.
I never saw Pele play live but I do have vague memories of the 1970 WC, I saw Maradona play live twice, he was special player though he did bugger all in the matches i saw, probably down to Ray Wilkins!

Saw Messi once live and Ronaldo plenty in his first spell at United, I couldn't choose between any of them

Pocho

I think it works both ways. People who saw more of Pele and Maradona or consider those respective eras to be the one they hold dearest would have a preference for them. And the ones who identify more with the current generation would be more eager to annoint Messi. Then there are those who have seen the recent / last 30 years only but want to hold a view based on their PhD in football (usually stats, trophy count and youtube).

I agree with your last sentence. I mean there may well be but it's impossible to make comparisons across 40/60 years. Which is why I always stick to who is the best I've seen in my short 2.5 decades of watching footy and that's Messi by far. Beyond that, feck knows and don't care either.
this. Is nonsensical claiming greatest of all time in a exhaustive way. Messi is the best I’ve seen since the 90’s and before him it was Maradona.

mshnsh

fri

You may argue Ronaldo post 2015 wasn’t a match to Messi in terms of their performance level (even though they are quite equal in terms of stats, with Ronaldo arguably even better in terms of impact). However, Ronaldo during his performance peak isn’t just what you have described there, he was far more than that, if fact he was at very close to Messi level, and I personally think they are quite equal during those period.

Only main difference for me is, Messi has better teammates during their very peak years (with Ronaldo having better teammates in post 2015 after his peak) Of course people could argue on details such as Messi being better dribbler/playmaker/passer, or Ronaldo being better in counter attack move/header/long range shot etc. But all in all I thought they performance level are very much at similar level during their very peak.
Can you stop it please. At their peaks Messi was easily better, same over the rest of their career. I remember watching them on the same pitch and they were not close to each other.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
fri
Can you stop it please. At their peaks Messi was easily better, same over the rest of their career. I remember watching them on the same pitch and they were not close to each other.
Well that’s not what I remember, let’s agree to disagree then, but I’ll stick to what I’ve said.

Ladron de redcafe

I think this guy is the greatest of the last 30 years by such a distance (not getting into the Maradona/Pele debates) that we will never see anything like him again. We'll see someone score as many goals, maybe even win more trophies, but no one will score as many goals while passing as beautifully and consistently and dribbling so amazingly as Messi ever again I think. No one will give us the moments this guy has given us. It's the greatest highlights reel of all time by such a margin when you go on youtube and watch back over this guy's career. I'll cry when he retires.
I don't know about crying but yeah it'll be a shame to watch the greatest player of his generation by a country mile retire. It isn't even about his statistical dominance (highest peak in football history), or his trophies (he's about to become the most decorated footballer ever) but the way he plays, as you said.

His season highlights are career highlights for most other players.

Swoobs

Supports
Florentina

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Disrespectful to Maradona and Pele though, perhaps a better way of saying is after seeing Ronaldo in training, he is sure that CR7 belongs to a tier below those 3

Vialli_92

Supports
Juventus

2015 Messi was the most complete version of him. He was doing everything while still maintaining some of his explosiveness.

He dropped even deeper into midfield and started to run the show.

Ronaldo had nothing on this version of Messi and it's not even a competition.

Ronaldo was very good at making runs and losing his man in the box but to compare them is an insult to Messi's talent.

Ladron de redcafe

Disrespectful to Maradona and Pele though, perhaps a better way of saying is after seeing Ronaldo in training, he is sure that CR7 belongs to a tier below those 3
He's probably focusing on this generation. But yeah, that much is obvious. Messi is the undisputed best player of his generation and arguably all time.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
2015 Messi was the most complete version of him. He was doing everything while still maintaining some of his explosiveness.

He dropped even deeper into midfield and started to run the show.

Ronaldo had nothing on this version of Messi and it's not even a competition.

Ronaldo was very good at making runs and losing his man in the box but to compare them is an insult to Messi's talent.
I am not even comparing their talent though, while I agree Messi clearly is more talented than Ronaldo even during their early peak, I do think Ronaldo being perfect/ultimate all action winger/goalscorer as comparable to Messi being perfect/ultimate talented playmaker/goalscorer during their respective peak years. People don’t have to take it as an insult or draw any conclusion from that, as I personally even rate Messi higher as my no.1 GOAT.

colombianmancunian

Brilliant post, it encompasses perfectly the stages and differences of the rivalry.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Peter Drury's commentary when Argentina wins the world cup is utterly breathtaking. I've listened to it back dozens of times already.

mshnsh

I am not even comparing their talent though, while I agree Messi clearly is more talented than Ronaldo even during their early peak, I do think Ronaldo being perfect/ultimate all action winger/goalscorer as comparable to Messi being perfect/ultimate talented playmaker/goalscorer during their respective peak years. People don’t have to take it as an insult or draw any conclusion from that, as I personally even rate Messi higher as my no.1 GOAT.
Brilliant post, it encompasses perfectly the stages and differences of the rivalry.
I was firmly in the Ronaldo camp up until 2015 mainly because he was a former Man utd player till 2009 but even then (including the time he was at United) I always knew but never openly admitted that Messi was the better footballer and easily so.

At his peak Ronaldo was good at quite a few things like powerful long distance goals, lightning counters, amazing heading and was a decent dribbler but Messi has always been a genius with a different level of allround game.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I was firmly in the Ronaldo camp up until 2015 mainly because he was a former Man utd player till 2009 but even then (including the time he was at United) I always knew but never openly admitted that Messi was the better footballer and easily so.

At his peak Ronaldo was good at quite a few things like powerful long distance goals, lightning counters, amazing heading and was a decent dribbler but Messi has always been a genius with a different level of allround game.
Post 2015 and viewing their career as a whole, I actually won’t disagree with what you’ve said here. It’s just their very peak period we are appreciating things differently viewing from different angle, so we could never really agree on that bit.

While Messi has always been more talented at everything in traditional/conventional sense - goalscoring, dribbling, passing, playmaking etc all at the highest level, which are the epitome of what we always define as best footballer. So naturally people will always view him as better player, which is fair. I mean, afterall he has the gift of dribbling half of the team and score a beautiful solo, and at the same time matches the numbers of greatest goalscorer in the game, so it’s impossible to argue against him isn’t the best, as he really is.

But Ronaldo at his peak, is quite different. Rarely have we ever seen a winger being so dominant in the game taking up central role in both initiating attack play from the wing/deep as well as finishing up the attack move, while also having so many weapons in his pocket. I understand in todays game there are quite a few of similar type/style of wing forwards who are adopting similar approach but perhaps in lesser degree of dominance/all roundness - ie Mbappe, Salah, Vinicius Junior, Rashford, Leao etc But before Ronaldo, this type of winger/wing forward play is almost non-existence and Ronaldo is clearly one of the kind as the pioneer in the game and the best yet. Hence I always view them as equal during those earlier period. And of course with their stats being mostly identical, even helps further solidify the comparison.

Last edited:

Real Name

Jesus Christ, I think there's at least one thread in which Ronaldo is compared to Messi. This shouldn't be the one.

Oh and Messi is a GOAT.

Kelly15

Hence I always view them as equal during those earlier period. And of course with their stats being mostly identical, even helps further solidify the comparison.
2012 Calendar season club
Ronaldo app 58 a11 g58
Messi app 60 a21 g79

21 more goals, 10 more assists. Not identical at all.

Laurencio

Supposedly offered a monster contract by Al Nassr rivals Al Hilal. There's two funny things about that. One, he has been offered more than Cristiano, and if he were to go Cristiano will have been the highest paid player ever for a good month. The other is that he will most definitely turn down to be paid more than Cristiano, arguing that he is still very much good enough to play in Europe and doesn't need to move to Saudi Arabia. Either way Cristiano's "decision" will end up proving that Messi is the greater player, either for rejecting it as retirement league or being paid more :lol:

SerendipityNow

Supports
Barcelona
Apparently im not allowed to post twitter media. Im not even allowed to post links to the twitter media.

So lets all just sit back and use our imagniation of what could been a really nice clip of Messi showing some fantastic takedown skills with the ball before the Angers match.

Someone else could perhaps post it though...