Lionel Messi - Performances

Skorenzy

Woah relax I meant like the past couple of weeks. Messi has been in far superior form since the turn of the year, he just seems to have ran out of steam a little.. saving himself for the final push.

Not just goals, Ronaldo has played really well last few weeks, his last game in particular.. his general play was really good. We shall see if he can bring it against Athletico tonight...
I don't think either of them have been particularly good recently (except as you say Cristiano against Málaga where he was outstanding in my opinion, a nice complete performance). Both of them have been mainly about producing "moments" in the past month or so: Messi has still been decisive by scoring or assisting the opening goals in most of his games but overall he looks sluggish (a descriptor I've rightfully seen used a couple of times already on him in this thread) and the same can be said about Cristiano minus the sluggish part -- you could even argue that he only had about five moments against Granada and didn't even really need to do anything else in that game. In this period I'd say that Griezmann and even Neymar have been outperforming the both of them quite comfortably.

In Messi's case it goes even beyond that, in the sense that recently he's been playing more as a MF in certain parts of the games (2nd halves mostly), mainly keeping the passing rhythm going and helping with possession and controlling the game (which they struggled with greatly against Celta, Sevilla and Valencia). Individually you can see he's struggling with the physical component of his dribbling and it's just not coming off anymore with any great consistency since the knock he got v City. Tactically he's still immensely valuable in creating space for Neymar and Suárez just by his mere presence, but that alone won't keep cutting it in the upcoming games (Catalan derby this weekend, potential title decider at the Calderón on the penultimate matchday, CL SF and possible F, Copa América in the summer)...

Roman Bellic

Prick
I don't think either of them have been particularly good recently (except as you say Cristiano against Málaga where he was outstanding in my opinion, a nice complete performance). Both of them have been mainly about producing "moments" in the past month or so: Messi has still been decisive by scoring or assisting the opening goals in most of his games but overall he looks sluggish (a descriptor I've rightfully seen used a couple of times already on him in this thread) and the same can be said about Cristiano minus the sluggish part -- you could even argue that he only had about five moments against Granada and didn't even really need to do anything else in that game. In this period I'd say that Griezmann and even Neymar have been outperforming the both of them quite comfortably.

In Messi's case it goes even beyond that, in the sense that recently he's been playing more as a MF in certain parts of the games (2nd halves mostly), mainly keeping the passing rhythm going and helping with possession and controlling the game (which they struggled with greatly against Celta, Sevilla and Valencia). Individually you can see he's struggling with the physical component of his dribbling and it's just not coming off anymore with any great consistency since the knock he got v City. Tactically he's still immensely valuable in creating space for Neymar and Suárez just by his mere presence, but that alone won't keep cutting it in the upcoming games (Catalan derby this weekend, potential title decider at the Calderón on the penultimate matchday, CL SF and possible F, Copa América in the summer)...
Agree.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots

Spot on, agree with all of that. In fact I got criticised for not being overly impressed with Ronaldo's 5 goal performance and rating the Malaga performance higher.

But yeah, good post.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Isn't there a whole thread dedicated to Messi and Ronaldo comparison?

Skorenzy

He was great tonight. Didn't look exhausted at all IMO. @Skorenzy your thoughts?
Yeah, he didn't look troubled at all, physically. Had some nice runs in the 2nd half, but overall I don't think he even exerted himself that much to be honest. Whole offense was scarily effective/efficient in the 1st half, which helped. Between this and the Espanyol game his passing has returned back to its regular level of this season after a marked drop in its consistency throughout most of April (especially in short combinations). And his assist for Suárez' first goal was inch-perfect.

edit: wanted to add, Messi has played an insane amount this season. Apart from 45 minutes against La Real back in January he's played every minute of Barça's league campaign so far:
3,015 minutes, the most of any forward in the top-5 European leagues (and only six outfield players have played more, five of them defenders and one midfielder)

Last edited:

Revan

Assumptionman
Not performances, but I found this video of a young Messi:

Geez, poor kids who had to play against him. While the dribbling and goals are as awesome as now, the thing that impressed me most was the first touch on 1:37. I swear that 99% of senior players aren't able to stop a ball in the same way as he did. Simply amazing.

@Marcosdeto , in case you haven't seen this, mate.

Marcosdeto

Guess who's back?
Not performances, but I found this video of a young Messi:

Geez, poor kids who had to play against him. While the dribbling and goals are as awesome as now, the thing that impressed me most was the first touch on 1:37. I swear that 99% of senior players aren't able to stop a ball in the same way as he did. Simply amazing.

@Marcosdeto , in case you haven't seen this, mate.
thank you mate, already seen it, in fact is the vid we argies post in a barcelona forum every time they pretend to tell us that they taught messi how to play football :lol:

Vialli_92

Supports
Juventus
The way he plays the game is just unreal, he oozes class on the pitch with his touches, passing and shooting. Going to hate the day he hangs up his boots as i probably wont see another player like him in my life time.

Cal?

CR7 fan

when does he look at the goal? when???? does he have a gps?
This may sound controversial to you (as you think I have a hidden agenda every time I post in this thread), but he probably knows where the goal is in relation to the corner of the penalty area. You know, like goalkeepers don't look at their post and let off target shots go out?

Marcosdeto

Guess who's back?
This may sound controversial to you (as you think I have a hidden agenda every time I post in this thread), but he probably knows where the goal is in relation to the corner of the penalty area. You know, like goalkeepers don't look at their post and let off target shots go out?
not controversial at all, i think that`s the only posible explanation, but it still amazes me that he can score that goal without looking at the goal and the goalie position

Cal?

CR7 fan
not controversial at all, i think that`s the only posible explanation, but it still amazes me that he can score that goal without looking at the goal and the goalie position
I 100% it's a great goal.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
It's an impeccable goal, but he has peripheral vision and can also glance sideways without needing to move his head, it's not like he's using the force.

Zeki Zico

Just an absolute joy to watch. I really hope he turn it on against Bayern in the CL.

Skorenzy

He may not be able to do it as often as he used to at his (physical) peak, but this play just encapsulates Messi as a player... looking at the slowmotion around 0:36 and he actually gets fouled by two different Getafe players before finally being brought down by a third. And he just grins like an idiot at the end of that... :D

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
He may not be able to do it as often as he used to at his (physical) peak, but this play just encapsulates Messi as a player... looking at the slowmotion around 0:36 and he actually gets fouled by two different Getafe players before finally being brought down by a third. And he just grins like an idiot at the end of that... :D

That run reminds me of a squirrel on a telephone wire.

Revan

Assumptionman

He is still 28. I think that his decline in form for the last two seasons has been cause of his injuries, rather than not being on physical peak. This season when he is again injury free, he is as good as he has ever been.

Messi taking the piss out of other defenders it is one of the most entertaining things. I find myself laughing like a lunatic, or clapping despite when he does things like that.

Theafonis

In love with @Eboue
Supports
Chelsea
Ronaldo has seemingly regressed this season while Messi has stepped it up, no doubt reinvigorated by Suarez and Neymar.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
He is still 28. I think that his decline in form for the last two seasons has been cause of his injuries, rather than not being on physical peak. This season when he is again injury free, he is as good as he has ever been.

Messi taking the piss out of other defenders it is one of the most entertaining things. I find myself laughing like a lunatic, or clapping despite when he does things like that.
Same here... All I do is laugh and marvel at his work.

I remember watching his awesome match-winning hattrick performance against Brazil last season and just found myself laughing (without realising it) when he blasted that last one in. Seems to happen a lot when I watch him.

Dante

Average bang
Ronaldo might have banged more girls but, if you include foreplay, Messi is better overall.