Lionel Messi - Performances

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
I remember a FourFourTwo "watch out for" article that named Leo Messi as the number one Wonderkid and I specifically remember the line "he's the reason Barcelona will be happy to cash in on Ronaldinho at some point, yes, he's that good".
Yep I have that issue.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Okay he didn’t play a big part of Argentina’s 3rd goal but the highlights of that match = Messi highlights.

Womp

idiot
Okay he didn’t play a big part of Argentina’s 3rd goal but the highlights of that match = Messi highlights.

The assist for the first goal. :drool:

Any other player in the world apart from Iniesta at his best who can pull that off so casually and make it look so easy?

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
His success rates from free kicks have vastly improved over the last two years. He's currently the the best in the world at them.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
This is why he's better than Ronaldo, even when he doesn't score he influences the game .

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
This is why he's better than Ronaldo, even when he doesn't score he influences the game .
But but but he did score.... Don't worry I fully get what you meant

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Messi at WC 10 had almost no tactical edge but good talent edge but with Maradona at the helm it was no surprise. At WC 14, Argentina had a 7/10 tactical edge and a 6/10 talent edge as most of their key talents were injured at different times and Higuain was still a choker. Had he won the WC for me it would have been one of the most outstanding WC performances, not on par with Diego's but better than anyone simply because of how much he had to compensate for the lack of talent edge.
I'm not sure. Had he, for example scored that one-on-one chance he had, and Argentina held out for the win, it would have obviously been huge but not in itself worthy of elevating his 2014 performances to the second greatest World Cup of all time. He had a good tournament, particularly in his decisiveness at key moments without necessarily doing a great deal beyond that, but it was a far away from the all-time greatest World Cup performances. Even placing it alongside Villa in 2010 would be a generous comparison to be frank. After the second-round match against Switzerland, it was shaping up to be like Baggio in 1994, as they'd both made these late interventions to salvage wins out of draws, but the Italian stepped up another level in the quarter-final and semi-final whereas Messi didn't really. Maradona's 1990 tournament is probably closer to the mark and there are loads of parallels - sticky, stodgy Argentina side, hard to beat but lacking some fluency going forward, the main man not at his best but still dragging the team along, winning a semi-final on penalties and losing the final 1-0 to the Germans.

Lostie007

You can't beat a classical free-kick technique ala Becks. The sheer beauty of bending it over the wall is art.

One thing is for sure, choosing the Ballon d'Or this year is more difficult.

Last edited:

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
What a record. Fair play to him.

He'll increase this ratio too surely. Wonder what it is with assists as well...

top1whoisman

Scout
Off-topic, but looking at that chart… ”But Zlatan plays in an abysmal league”… Better ratio than Henry, Rooney, van Persie, Messi, Klose - all played in much better national teams around much, much better teammates.

sammyvine

The idea he is poor for Argentina is so overrated and only used by Ronaldo-Fanboys

NYC

I think also the argument that "Argentina is poor" is a bad argument too....

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
Off-topic, but looking at that chart… ”But Zlatan plays in an abysmal league”… Better ratio than Henry, Rooney, van Persie, Messi, Klose - all played in much better national teams around much, much better teammates.
Conversely the much much better teammates share the goals between them, while most Sweden attacks have been funneled through Zlatan for the better part of 10-11 years.

top1whoisman

Scout
Conversely the much much better teammates share the goals between them, while most Sweden attacks have been funneled through Zlatan for the better part of 10-11 years.
Perhaps there is a good reason for that. You know, like him being decent at this football thing.

Zlaatan

Parody Account
Ever seen Portugal play?.. If there was ever a team which devoted everything to set one player up to score goals it would be them. Rightfully so though since that guy is one of the best finishers the world has ever seen.

Sure, you are correct that Sweden's goal is to give the ball to Zlatan. But a crap team playing through their best player isn't some guarantee that he will score lots of goals, and definitely not as many goals as some of the worlds best strikers playing for much better teams.

I don't think any striker in the world would score as many goals if he played for Stoke instead of Arsenal, even if Stoke would always go through him when attacking and Arsenal would not.

Anywho, back on topic.. Messi is the GOAT, period.

Gol123

Mouthfull (of) Member
Supports
Chelsea
Ever seen Portugal play?.. If there was ever a team which devoted everything to set one player up to score goals it would be them. Rightfully so though since that guy is one of the best finishers the world has ever seen.

Sure, you are correct that Sweden's goal is to give the ball to Zlatan. But a crap team playing through their best player isn't some guarantee that he will score lots of goals, and definitely not as many goals as some of the worlds best strikers playing for much better teams.

I don't think any striker in the world would score as many goals if he played for Stoke instead of Arsenal, even if Stoke would always go through him when attacking and Arsenal would not.

Anywho, back on topic.. Messi is the GOAT, period.
There is no doubt that Zlatan has outperformed Ronaldo for his international team. Messi maybe not as he plays an even less attacking role for them then he does for Barca.

Gol123

Mouthfull (of) Member
Supports
Chelsea
Oh look, Maradona isn't on the list. He must've been really shit for Argentina.

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
I'm amazed my post has survived the Messi thread this long without someone sniping at my username or interpreting praise as sarcasm ya know, because Ronaldo lolz. Is the Caf changing?

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
29 years old, 13 years since his first team debut. Insane. Still can see his career continue on nearly a decade

Nice interview:

Leo Messi turned 29 on Friday, and from his friend Neymar's website, they wanted to congratulate him by publishing a video interview recorded with the Argentine star.

Speaking about what he knew of Neymar before the Brazilian's signing for Barcelona, Leo said: "I knew him from being at Santos. I knew his father from even earlier, having met him at a game for Deco's charity. In footballing terms, I knew of Neymar for what he was doing in Brazil and the Copa Libertadores.

I was very surprised by his personality, how he is, he is still very young and joyful, he lives happily, a kid without any evil at all in him. An incredible person."

Many believe a great part of Barça's success stems from the excellent relationship between their front three of Neymar, Messi and Luis Suarez. Leo explained the relationship between them: "It is something that happened naturally, on its own, it was not a relationship that we were searching for. It is all very natural, very real. We began to get on really well off the pitch and that soon leads to things being easier on the pitch. It also possible that things were easier with the three of us being South Americans and so we live through similar things. That brought us together a lot."

Questioned whether there are similarities in the relationship he had with Ronaldinho, and the one he now has with Neymar, Leo responds: "When I came to Barça, I was very young, as Ney was when he arrived. In a sense, Ronaldinho, and all the Brazilians in the squad at the time, took me under their wing. They treated me spectacularly well.

Ney integrated himself very quickly into the group due to the type of person he is. The truth is I had a great relationship with all (those Brazilians) and I continue to do so with Ronaldinho, Deco, Motta, Sylvinho, I still speak to them."

Messi admits that Neymar considers him his idol and this embarrasses him: "He always says he is a fan of mine and that embarrasses me a little, because he tells me to my face that he is a fanatic of mine.

Even when he came, I realised that when he would say it, he would mean it. It is how he felt and it made me very happy that a kid like him would say these things about me and that we can continue to have that good relationship to this day."

The interviewer comments that Leo is a reference point in world football, Messi replies: "It is something I treat with calmness, trying to be in each moment how I actually am in reality.

I do not have to be false, I am as you see me, and it makes me happy that people admire me and take me as an example. But the truth is I am normal in everyday life, like when I am at home."

Asked what the future holds for him, Messi says: "I don't think about it. I do not have anything planned out at the moment, I am focused on enjoying the moment. Playing football is what I like to do and when the time comes, I will see what I end up doing. At the moment, I have no idea."

The video then ends with a quickfire questionnaire:

If you were not a footballer, what would you be?

"I don't know, I have no idea. Since I was little, I dreamt of playing football and didn't think about anything else."

Maradona or Messi?

(Laughs) "Maradona"

World Cup or Ballon d'Or?

"World Cup"

Would Neymar get in the Argentina team?

"In any team, Neymar would have a place wherever he wanted. A unique player such as him could play wherever he wished."

Which goal do you consider your best?

"I always say that I consider the importance of the goal, more than for its beauty and so mine would be the first I scored in a Champions League final, with a header (against Manchester United in 2009), for the importance it had."

Neymar Jr or Ronaldinho?

(More laughs) "Ohhhh! That's very difficult! I am happy to have played with both of them. It is a tough thing to happen and I have been fortunate to have played with each of them, so it is very difficult to choose just one."

ADJUDICATOR

Supports
THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD
Don't think any of those players played as regularly up front for their teams except Klose? It's a very good ratio though.

top1whoisman

Scout
Don't think any of those players played as regularly up front for their teams except Klose? It's a very good ratio though.
Then again Messi & Ronaldo are currently the best goalscorers in club football and they don't play "regularly up front" for their respective clubs? So maybe it's not that black white that strikers have better chances to score more goals than wingers/inside forwards..?

Shark

@NotShark
I'm amazed my post has survived the Messi thread this long without someone sniping at my username or interpreting praise as sarcasm ya know, because Ronaldo lolz. Is the Caf changing?
I must ask though, why that username 5 years after Ronaldo left United? :lol:

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Happy Birthday to Messi 29 Yesterday!

Enjoy this genius whilst you can!

TheSpaceman

Devoting my 2nd of 3 posts today to Messi. Got to see him live against Rayo last year when he scored the record breaking hat trick... never seen a lazier hat trick in my life. Goal from a rebound, goal from a PK (after he missed the 1st) and one goal where he rounded the keeper and defender with one touch and a shot fake.

Then again Messi & Ronaldo are currently the best goalscorers in club football and they don't play "regularly up front" for their respective clubs? So maybe it's not that black white that strikers have better chances to score more goals than wingers/inside forwards..?
They're an exception of to the rule, and Ronaldo is actually up top more than Benzema for many games.

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
England haven't been much better than Argentina over the last ten years or so.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Gerd Müller's record is still out of this world. A fecking 1.1 goals per game. :eek:
I'm surprised they didn't reference Puskas (84 in 85 games) and Kocsis (75 in 68 games). Then again they're a bit too Eastern European for the Daily Mail to recognise.