Lionel Messi | PSG Watch

Ish

Lights on for Luke
he would probably have been the best no10 and best no 8 in the world for the last 15 years if he had chosen to play those positions

Could even one day see him dropping back and basically doing a pirlo (standing in the centre circle just running the game at walking pace)
Barring work rate, he could definitely "do a KdB/Bilva" type #8 role yeah. Yeah he's pretty much got all positions covered from 8 upwards to attack.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Anyway it's not that important, I just think than young Messi was far less static than older Messi. He definitely looked pretty explosive back then, but I don't have data on km's covered and all that.
He was more explosive, yes, but he was always "lazy" and the epitome of "work smart, not hard". But I don't think it is because he's not capable of explosive movements anymore (see his performances at the Copa America for instance), I believe it is more about energy conservation at 36. He can't cope with this kind of intensity week in week out anymore and could be sidelined by injuries or exhaustion if he tried. So he's rather picking his moments/going down a gear or two when the game is decided.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
He was more explosive, yes, but he was always "lazy" and the epitome of "work smart, not hard". But I don't think it is because he's not capable of explosive movements anymore (see his performances at the Copa America for instance), I believe it is more about energy conservation at 36. He can't cope with this kind of intensity week in week out anymore and could be sidelined by injuries or exhaustion if he tried. So he's rather picking his moments/going down a gear or two when the game is decided.
He's 35 just to nitpick.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
I mean it's been a known fact that pretty much his whole career he has been one of the lowest running players on the pitch, but he's been catered to because he's just that good.

Him and Ney seem up to it this year, clearly have the WC in mind. They'll probably disconnect in the second half of the season.
I think that's a risk any big team. I can't imagine how most teams with a lot of international players are going to be able to keep a rhythm unless they're ridiculously deep. I also can't imagine a player potentially winning the world cup, then having to quickly get over the huge adrenaline dump to get back to playing club football, that's if no one even gets hurt. It's going to be very interesting to see how this all goes. That tournament could drastically change a team's fortunes and outlook for the season.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
I think that's a risk any big team. I can't imagine how most teams with a lot of international players are going to be able to keep a rhythm unless they're ridiculously deep. I also can't imagine a player potentially winning the world cup, then having to quickly get over the huge adrenaline dump to get back to playing club football, that's if no one even gets hurt. It's going to be very interesting to see how this all goes. That tournament could drastically change a team's fortunes and outlook for the season.
True. Always was a stupid idea to have a WC in the middle of the season anywhere. I just think the profile of those 2 specific players is going to make it particularly difficult to keep them motivated throughout the whole season.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
How was he yesterday?

Apparently hit the post and want to see a video.

Swoobs

Supports
Florentina
Never understood why managers like to play him so deep sometimes, well maybe thats why they are managers and I am not

Gehrman

Never understood why managers like to play him so deep sometimes, well maybe thats why they are managers and I am not
Sometimes I think that's a waste as well. He did for Barcelona and Argentina as well especially in his latter years. If you've got one of the best goalscorers in history you'd want to him to receive the ball closer to the box. At PSG it obvious that Messi's main task is to create chances for Mpabbe and Neymar rather than be the main goalscorer himself.

Swoobs

Supports
Florentina
Sometimes I think that's a waste as well. He did for Barcelona and Argentina as well especially in his latter years. If you've got one of the best goalscorers in history you'd want to him to receive the ball closer to the box. At PSG it obvious that Messi's main task is to create chances for Mpabbe and Neymar rather than be the main goalscorer himself.
At PSG it is even more obvious, but as you mentioned, that happened in Barcelona and Argentina also. He is most dangerous closer to the final 3rd, if not by scoring goals or assisting, then its by creating chaos in the opponent’s defensive structure.
But between Argentina, Barcelona and PSG, so many managers asked him to drop so deep sometimes, I know they are mostly crap managers but I wonder if it is his own decision

Gehrman

At PSG it is even more obvious, but as you mentioned, that happened in Barcelona and Argentina also. He is most dangerous closer to the final 3rd, if not by scoring goals or assisting, then its by creating chaos in the opponent’s defensive structure.
But between Argentina, Barcelona and PSG, so many managers asked him to drop so deep sometimes, I know they are mostly crap managers but I wonder if it is his own decision
He said in an interview that he expects to be more of a playmaker as he gets older and therefore expects his goal stats to go down. I still think though if he played for the team that had someone like KDB or just proper playmakers, he'd still play closer to goal, but I think Messi naturally wants to involved in the game as much as possible even if that means dropping deep.

antk

Neymar has been dropping deep a lot more than Messi this season.

Messi is way more consistent throughout games than last year, but is still more of a moments player than a constant worry. He had a poor game last night, but then Mbappé too (and he was arguably a lot worse).

Gehrman

Neymar has been dropping deep a lot more than Messi this season.

Messi is way more consistent throughout games than last year, but is still more of a moments player than a constant worry. He had a poor game last night, but then Mbappé too (and he was arguably a lot worse).
Not trying to make a case here that Messi's been brilliant this season. Despite having a better start to the season than last year, I'm not convinvced that Messi makes PSG a better team at his age. It's clear he's a starter because of his prestige, but smart managers ditch the old guys and Messi is one of them now and on massive wages.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Thought he was very good yesterday, actually. Had at least three very good through balls (one of them created the penalty call), a great finish from outside the box and overall many "Messi vs no space" scenes. Mbappe on the other hand was pretty average, that's true. Neymar somewhere in between I'd say.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
It is pretty clearly his own decision to do that imo

Gehrman

Gehrman

He was terrible. Lots of lost possessions, either via tackles or poor passes. Everyone were shit really, Monaco should've won, had some good counter-attacks that were ruined at the end.
Don't think he was terrible just more like average.

wr8_utd

:'(
Don't think he was terrible just more like average.
He was quite terrible in the final 20 mins with a lot of misplaced passes. Before that he was the best of the 3 with some very good passes ahead to Neymar but not they didn't take advantage of it. His awful luck with the wood work has continued for yet another season though.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
He was quite terrible in the final 20 mins with a lot of misplaced passes. Before that he was the best of the 3 with some very good passes ahead to Neymar but not they didn't take advantage of it. His awful luck with the wood work has continued for yet another season though.
Thought the same, but once he starts fading he tries ridiculous passes Bruno style for some reason and keeps losing the ball instead of slowing down and playing it safer.

Pocho

Minutes played 87'
Match Ratings 7.2
Dribble attempts (succ.) 5 (4)
Hit woodwork 1
Touches 69
Acc. passes 43/50 (86%)
Key passes 1
Long balls (acc.) 2 (1)
Ground duels (won) 13 (7)

Terrible performance

DevilRed

A shadow of his former self.

Leaving barcelona really has just sapped the life out of him. I mean I dont blame him. The dressing room must be toxic.

wr8_utd

:'(
Thought the same, but once he starts fading he tries ridiculous passes Bruno style for some reason and keeps losing the ball instead of slowing down and playing it safer.
Maybe he just realizes the limitations of his body and tries those Hollywood balls at the end? I don't quite get it. He's always been one to attempt the higher risk passes but these days once he's gassed, his accuracy really drops and he needs to keep it simple or get subbed off.

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
He would be an idiot if he tired himself out in a mid season WC year at PSG of all places.

Sweet Square

Tired near the end of the match but overall played well enough. Mbappe was incredibly shite though.

Tbh PSG still suffer from the same problem, which is they can be easily out worked.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
The 'GOAT' seem not being able to play good anywhere apart from Barcelona. As said, he is not the best player the world had ever seen. FFS he's not even the best player Argentina had ever had.

ti vu

He said in an interview that he expects to be more of a playmaker as he gets older and therefore expects his goal stats to go down. I still think though if he played for the team that had someone like KDB or just proper playmakers, he'd still play closer to goal, but I think Messi naturally wants to involved in the game as much as possible even if that means dropping deep.
And add to that what Dani Alves discussed with Pep about Messi being the type that wants to touch the ball during game. Pretty much confirmed what we fan think.

So for Messi effectiveness, his team needs to be dominating possession, controlling the flow of the game lest end to end type of game. Else it's difficult to instruct him to stay up top.

fps

A shadow of his former self.

Being 35 really has just sapped the life out of him. I mean I dont blame him. The dressing room must be toxic.
Fixed. Look in football terms he’s very old. Time waits for no-one.

fps

The 'GOAT' seem not being able to play good anywhere apart from Barcelona. As said, he is not the best player the world had ever seen. FFS he's not even the best player Argentina had ever had.
He is 35. If you don’t understand the difference that makes to a player then there’s no discussion to be had. I usually stay away from Messi and Ronaldo threads and comments like these remind me why.

Gehrman

He is 35. If you don’t understand the difference that makes to a player then there’s no discussion to be had. I usually stay away from Messi and Ronaldo threads and comments like these remind me why.
The average retirement age for footballers is 35. It's hardly surprising he doesn't look the same player at 35. Some of the comments here are delusional.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
The average retirement age for footballers is 35. It's hardly surprising he doesn't look the same player at 35. Some of the comments here are delusional.
Yep, won player of the tournament at the 2014 World Cup iirc. Was player of the tournament at the last copa (by quite a distance iirc) which Argentina won. But “he can’t play well outside of Barcelona” :lol:

Swoobs

Supports
Florentina
He actually played good in games for Argentina even in this year and the first 2 PSG games this season. Perhaps your “good” means peak Messi/Maradona/Pele level, then in this case everyone is not “good”, including Pele and Maradona non peak years.

Whether he is the best player or best Argentina player is subjective, in my opinion Pele is the best ever (Messi 2nd Maradona 3rd) but even Pele and Maradona seemed to not able to play good every game, especially not at 35.

Gehrman

Yep, won player of the tournament at the 2014 World Cup iirc. Was player of the tournament at the last copa (by quite a distance iirc) which Argentina won. But “he can’t play well outside of Barcelona” :lol:
I think its fair enough if some have Maradona over Messi since maradonna is considered the GOAT by many but its not like he was a succes everywhere he went or looked in his prime in his mid thirties. He was crap at Sevilla straight after Napoli.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
I think its fair enough if some have Maradona over Messi since maradonna is considered the GOAT by many but its not like he was a succes everywhere he went or looked in his prime in his mid thirties. He was crap at Sevilla straight after Napoli.
Yeah, I agree with you. GOAT is highly debatable in any case and also very much preference driven. I just laughed at the word "not even good" elsewhere outside of Barca. I mean, really? :lol:

OpenIntrovert

You have absolutely no idea about Maradona. Back then the drugs and other off-field issues took away his focus and he became a shallow shelf at Sevilla.

Maradona is a player who could dribble at speed, without speed, tons of tricks in his locker, excellent passing and vision, shooter, ball control, technique etc. His mentality to win is another trait. It is no coincidence that Argentina flourished when Maradona was at his peak, with a team that was less established than the current Argentina squad. It was like a defensively sound team aided by the attacking genius of Maradona. The only problem with Maradona was that he can be very aggressive and of course, his off-field issues.

Gehrman

You have absolutely no idea about Maradona. Back then the drugs and other off-field issues took away his focus and he became a shallow shelf at Sevilla.

Maradona is a player who could dribble at speed, without speed, tons of tricks in his locker, excellent passing and vision, shooter, ball control, technique etc. His mentality to win is another trait. It is no coincidence that Argentina flourished when Maradona was at his peak, with a team that was less established than the current Argentina squad. It was like a defensively sound team aided by the attacking genius of Maradona. The only problem with Maradona was that he can be very aggressive and of course, his off-field issues.
I wasn't knocking madadonna. I was treating him by the same standard that Messi is being treated. And Maradona drug issues are hardly much of an excuse for elite footballers. He had all these problems at barcalona and Napoli as well.

OpenIntrovert

Yeah, I agree with you. GOAT is highly debatable in any case and also very much preference driven. I just laughed at the word "not even good" elsewhere outside of Barca. I mean, really? :lol:
Not good is over exaggeration obviously. He won't be as effective unless the manager uses him as a false nine or central attacking mid in a formation which has 2 to 3 competent forwards in front of him and 2 defensively sound and composed CMs behind him.

The difference between Messi and Maradona is that Maradona was capable of influencing a game even if the players around him were not very good. He was a player who could take the game by its scruff of the neck. For Messi, all components need to click, otherwise he will not be able to function very well.