Lionel Messi | PSG Watch

Swoobs

Supports
Florentina
Maradona and Sampaoli were the worst managers in both WC, and possibly the worst coaches Argentina ever had.
I have a crazy theory about this for both Argentina and Barcelona, if you noticed in the messi era both sides consistently appointed some very questionable managers, ie Maradona, Setien, Valverde.

I believe Messi is both a blessing and unfortunately a curse in this case, his brilliance largely allowed for such managers to be appointed because “Messi will/should sort things out”. Both sides lucked out with Pep and Scaloni, but those were 2 in 10ish. I dont rate Enrique btw

Pocho

I have a crazy theory about this for both Argentina and Barcelona, if you noticed in the messi era both sides consistently appointed some very questionable managers, ie Maradona, Setien, Valverde.

I believe Messi is both a blessing and unfortunately a curse in this case, his brilliance largely allowed for such managers to be appointed because “Messi will/should sort things out”. Both sides lucked out with Pep and Scaloni, but those were 2 in 10ish. I dont rate Enrique btw
imagine what his career could’ve been with competent managers.

Swoobs

Supports
Florentina
Who cares. He won it at the end of the day and no one can ever throw that excuse in this face again.
But it could have been so much more with good, nevermind elite, managers. I mean maradona, Setien, Tata (Mexico’s in this WC) as managers…tragic

That_Bloke

Supports
Leicester City
But it could have been so much more with good, nevermind elite, managers. I mean maradona, Setien, Tata (Mexico’s in this WC) as managers…tragic
I don't think he cares. If any, winning it this late in his career after so many setbacks, while being the best player of the tournament at 35, makes it even more beautiful. It's not about how many you win, but you how win it.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
It's a shame he played under managers like Maradona when he was at his peak but it's a part of life. For the stat obsessed lot his stats could have been even better, however I think these last 2 years of incredible national team success and the dream closing chapter wouldn't have been what it is, if he had things his way throughout.

That his NT career had heart break, mismanagement, the shadow of Maradona, a disjoint team etc and he still comes out conquering SA and the world, is what will make it more poignant.

Pintu

imagine what his career could’ve been with competent managers.
Did Maradona ever explain why Cambiasso and Zanetti (having just captained Inter to a historical treble) were left out of the 2010 squad ?

That was one of the most unplayable versions of Messi. Giving him a more competent squad would have given you a very good chance of winning the WC...

Revan

Assumptionman
I believe they had one midfielder on the pitch vs Germany. They wasted all the potential of that team to feed into the whole Maradona mania. Madness.
Indeed. It was Mascherano in midfield, with Messi, Tevez, Maxi, Higuain and Aguero in attack.

Eddy_JukeZ

Did Maradona ever explain why Cambiasso and Zanetti (having just captained Inter to a historical treble) were left out of the 2010 squad ?

That was one of the most unplayable versions of Messi. Giving him a more competent squad would have given you a very good chance of winning the WC...
They might have won the WC if they had a competent manager. 2010-2011 Messi is his physical peak and they wasted him that WC with awful squad selections and Maradona not being a good manager.

Pat Cat

Yes intelligence comes from football:houllier: that says a lot about your intelligence!
Apparently so cos all the nonsense you've been spewing about not doing it outside of Barcelona was dispelled within 6 glorious weeks

Sweet Square

Both sides lucked out with Pep and Scaloni, but those were 2 in 10ish. I dont rate Enrique btw
He’s got the the potential to be a very good coach(Enrique is currently far better )but it’s worth saying before the World Cup, he was a nobody who got the job because he was cheap.

Last edited:

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
Didn't Messi push for Tata to take the reins at Barca?

Pocho

Don’t recall him explaining nothing, don’t recall journalists asking either, he was a shite manager. Inconceivable we lost a great opportunity to have balanced team.

Swoobs

Supports
Florentina
He’s got the the potential to be a very good coach(Enrique is currently far better )but it’s worth saying before the World Cup, he was a nobody who got the job because he was cheap.
Nah I still don’t rate Enrique. Did a crappy job at Roma before Barca, fell out with the Barca team but MSN pulled him over the line. In this world cup he stick Rodri in defence, played the ancient one in busquets (should stick Rodri there), had ferran torres in attack of all people.

Didn't Messi push for Tata to take the reins at Barca?
No idea but if its true then Tata is on messi. Strange push though, are they even related?

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Honestly believe this a mistake. Retire on a high not just when you no longer can do a job.
Why ? He just platiniumed football, we should be happy to still see him in Europe. Let's enjoy his last few outings. We won't see another one like him in a long long time. He can clearly still do a great job

KeanoMagicHat

Honestly believe this a mistake. Retire on a high not just when you no longer can do a job.
Yeah I agree. Imagine PSG have made a serious offer financially and the World Cup has convinced him that he can still do it another while. A perfect retirement is easier said than done, most greats actually keep on going longer than needs be than the other way around. Once they start to think about a life off the pitch the nerves set in and they keep on going.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I could understand your point if he wasn't in the middle of a great 22-23 season from an individual standpoint. Unless you think that he is going to fall of the deepest cliff ever, Messi has easily 18 more months at the top.

the_cliff

I'm quite happy about it tbh. The world cup proved he's still one of the best players in the world and would rather see him in Europe in the UCL than playing in the MLS.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
I could understand your point if he wasn't in the middle of a great 22-23 season from an individual standpoint. Unless you think that he is going to fall of the deepest cliff ever, Messi has easily 18 more months at the top.
He was bang average last season and clearly looks his Age. His lower ceing is still better than most but his next season could also be as bad or average as his first at PSG. Ronnie is a perfect example that age catches even the most dedicated footbsllers.

Last edited:

kouroux

Yeah I agree. Imagine PSG have made a serious offer financially and the World Cup has convinced him that he can still do it another while. A perfect retirement is easier said than done, most greats actually keep on going longer than needs be than the other way around. Once they start to think about a life off the pitch the nerves set in and they keep on going.
You make a good point but at the same time he is still playing so well. Retiring would make sense if he was on his last legs

JPRouve

Scout
He was bang average last season and clearly looks his Age. His lower ceing is still better than most but his next season could also be as bad or average as his first at PSG. Ronnie is a perfect example that age catches even the most deficated footbsllers.
He was used in the weirdest way last season and PSG's attack was completely disjointed. Anyone that actually watched PSG were saying it but somehow people still refuse to listen, there is a reason why almost any Ligue 1 or PSG followers were shitting on Pochettino.

This season Messi has been amazing and easily PSG's best player despite both Neymar and Mbappé playing at a high level.

KeanoMagicHat

You make a good point but at the same time he is still playing so well. Retiring would make sense if he was on his last legs
He is playing so well but decline can be quite sudden at that age and there is likely to be a comedown from the World Cup after achieving his life’s goal. He could have finished the season as PSG, but to get up for another season after that might be a tough ask.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
He was bang average last season and clearly looks his Age. His lower ceing is still better than most but his next season could also be as bad or average as his first at PSG. Ronnie is a perfect example that age catches even the most deficated footbsllers.
Even if he was bang average, why would he care? If he enjoys football then he should play as long as he wants at which ever level he wants. Makes zero difference to his legacy to anyone with common sense.

kouroux

He is playing so well but decline can be quite sudden at that age and there is likely to be a comedown from the World Cup after achieving his life’s goal. He could have finished the season as PSG, but to get up for another season after that might be a tough ask.
Even if he declined ala Ronaldo, the man completed football. He has nothing else to achieve/prove. He can do whatever he wants. I see it as a privilege to still have him in the ligue 1

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Even if he declined ala Ronaldo, the man completed football. He has nothing else to achieve/prove. He can do whatever he wants. I see it as a privilege to still have him in the ligue 1
I think he and Mbappe will have one of the best performances that Ligue 1 have seen after this WC honestly, winning the CL and all there is to win in French football this season.

Reason?

Messi winning the CL puts him at 5 CLs which matches Ronaldo, but I think he will want his fifth after not winning it for over 6 years.

Also winning the CL having a stand out campaign and a WC might win him his 8th Balon d'Or. I think we are going to see a hyper motivated Messi & Mbappe now.

kouroux

I think he and Mbappe will have one of the best performances that Ligue 1 have seen after this WC honestly, winning the CL and all there is to win in French football this season.

Reason?

Messi winning the CL puts him at 5 CLs which matches Ronaldo, but I think he will want his fifth after not winning it for over 6 years.

Also winning the CL having a stand out campaign and a WC might win him his 8th Balon d'Or. I think we are going to see a hyper motivated Messi & Mbappe now.
Neymar is the big question, he has been superb so far. The WC is a disappointment of course. They will need all 3 at their best to win the CL

the_cliff

Reason?

I think it's already settled tbh, whatever success Mbappe manages with PSG Messi would also be a part of it. I reckon he's staying because he quite likes Paris and probably is making as much as he'd make at Inter Miami. Might as well stay in Europe if you're going to get a similar amount of money, can always go to the US in 2024.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Neymar is the big question, he has been superb so far. The WC is a disappointment of course. They will need all 3 at their best to win the CL
Neymar will elevate himself I think if the others are motivated, he did very well the year after the 2014 WC too when we say MSN at their peak.

I think it's already settled tbh, whatever success Mbappe manages with PSG Messi would also be a part of it. I reckon he's staying because he quite likes Paris and probably is making as much as he'd make at Inter Miami. Might as well stay in Europe if you're going to get a similar amount of money, can always go to the US in 2024.
Definitely could be part of it, I'm surprised he's not going back to Barca right now (although it's not official yet) but I see Messi in Europe until 2024 or 2025 he can play a deeper role since he's that good.

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
Delighted that he's staying for another year. The old dog has plenty of tricks left.

As far as quitting just in case you turn shit , it's lucky he didn't have that attitude pre world cup.

Agree that anyone who watched PSG last year (without a desperate need to call Messi shit) could see there were massive issues there in the setup, I'm unsure that they can win the CL with the current set up either but it's a lot better now.

JPRouve

Scout
I have more questions about the rest of the team. Mbappé, Messi, Neymar and Hakimi are all competitors and they are also consistent as long as injuries allow it.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Delighted that he's staying for another year. The old dog has plenty of tricks left.

As far as quitting just in case you turn shit , it's lucky he didn't have that attitude pre world cup.

Agree that anyone who watched PSG last year (without a desperate need to call Messi shit) could see there were massive issues there in the setup, I'm unsure that they can win the CL with the current set up either but it's a lot better now.
Messi his the woodwork 11-12 times last year, he was also massively unlucky

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
Messi his the woodwork 11-12 times last year, he was also massively unlucky
New club unexpectedly, covid , bad luck , bad setup it was the perfect storm really.

He's proven this season (+ plus the Copa where he was excellent) that he's got another season in him IMO.

Kinsella

Copy & Paste Merchant
Was that a kind of Freudian slip?

AlexanderTheGreat29

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
He's doing well so far this season , but i'm skeptical of whether this is the right decision for PSG. I'm very doubtful of MNM trio when it comes to the highest level of football , i feel like they aren't well balanced and we could find better players to suit Mbappé who's easily our best attacking asset

But Messi did impressed Campos and Nasser wasn't going to let go of a well performing Messi and all media attention he brings so easily