Lionel Messi | PSG Watch

BorisManUtd

What a great World Cup he's just had, deserved golden ball award definitely. Won it all now, one object that may motivate him now is to win another (potentially 5th) Champions League upcoming May, 8 years after his last CL trophy. Other than that, it's been perfect career and I won't be surprised if he decides to go to MLS in summer, he'll turn 36 by then.

FrankFoot

Supports
Neutral
Yeah, he could play in midfield for next few years and become one of best midfielfers too, but considering the bar he set people will question him because he won't score goal a game.
I love Messi but he was mediocre in the last 3 seasons against decent opposition in the UCL, not just because not scoring btw.

I think he himself will recognize that he can't hack it in the UCL at the top level anymore, and i don't think he fancies just scoring against minnow french teams in Ligue 1 for much longer time, not like it will add something relevant to his huge legacy anyways.

I can see him going to the MLS next season.

redshaw

His energy management has also been brilliant throughout the tournament, after the knocks he takes and bursts, he does the right thing to conserve. It's just amazing to see him come back attacking freely at the end of a game after so much. Brilliant extra time goal and nerves of steel deep into the game. He was on a mission and completed it so greatly, and lit up every game.

I'm starting to warm to the robe, he was Star Wars, Lord of the Rings esque at this World Cup. Such skill and command of the attack in every game, it's been a joy to watch him and get his deserved trophy.

Last edited:

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
His energy management has also been brilliant, after the knocks he takes and bursts he does the right thing to conserve. It's just amazing to see him come back attacking freely at the end of a the game after so much. Brilliant extra time goal and nerves of steal deep into the game.
That was impressive. When France made it 2-2 I didn't think he had the legs to keep Argentina in it but he played very well after too

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
I'm starting to warm to the robe, he was Star Wars, Lord of the Rings esque at this World Cup. Such skill and command of the attack in every game, it's been a joy to watch him and get his deserved trophy.
Bisht: It is a traditional men's cloak. They are usually worn on special occasions, like weddings and religious festivals. There is a further meaning to the bisht. They are usually worn by secular officials or clergy.

A bisht is usually worn for prestige on special occasions such as weddings, or festivals such as Eid, or for Ṣalāt al-Jumuʿah or Salat al-Janazah. It is usually worn by secular officials or clergy, including tribal chiefs, kings, and imams, over a thawb, kanzu or tunic.

I think they meant for it to be a big honour, because you see the Sheikhs/Emirs wear it on royal visits and special occasions. So I think it's them trying to crown the winning captain that way.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
Bisht: It is a traditional men's cloak. They are usually worn on special occasions, like weddings and religious festivals. There is a further meaning to the bisht. They are usually worn by secular officials or clergy.

A bisht is usually worn for prestige on special occasions such as weddings, or festivals such as Eid, or for Ṣalāt al-Jumuʿah or Salat al-Janazah. It is usually worn by secular officials or clergy, including tribal chiefs, kings, and imams, over a thawb, kanzu or tunic.

I think they meant for it to be a big honour, because you see the Sheikhs/Emirs wear it on royal visits and special occasions. So I think it's them trying to crown the winning captain that way.
That's the sort of cultural flair I can get with at a world cup, rather than letting migrant workers labor to death and hating gays.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
He played this tournament like man possed, creating, scoring, tackling even, led his team by example and deserves every accolade that comes his way.

Will always adore Ronaldo and his exploits, 1996-1999, wc 2002 and question "what if", but Messi is best I've ever seen.
Carried his copa form into this season and the WC

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
That's the sort of cultural flair I can get with at a world cup, rather than letting migrant workers labor to death and hating gays.
I think its if he was given an option though, like did Messi get asked.

And FYI not all Qataris "hate gays" you look at the % of world population that are LGBT+ the same % is present in Qatar.

I have friends from the UAE where being gay its the same, but... I have many friends who are Emirati who are also gay or bi.

Many just live their lives behind closed doors, and the labor deaths is very sad I agree.

wangyu

In a way goalkeeper Martinez last minute save gifted Messi his final ballon d’or at the end of the season otherwise it would have been Mbappe for sure after such an heroic final. It doesn’t even matter anymore who wins the CL.

Ladron de redcafe

Tbh he should just retire now. Ending on a ultimate high
If he wants to, it'll be his Jordan 1998 moment. The greatest retirement in a sport.

Absolutely incredible tournament. Turned it on and was the best player on the planet at the age of 35.5 when it mattered most. 4 consecutive matches where he came through with clutch performances right when his country needed him.

Black Adder

Rarer than an eclipse.
Carried his copa form into this season and the WC
Yeah, true.

Difference, for me, is that he seems much more combatitive and proactive in approach. He was arguably the best player in their every match through this wc, fascinating considering his age and covid problems last year.

Hoof the ball

Yeah, true.

Difference, for me, is that he seems much more combatitive and proactive in approach. He was arguably the best player in their every match through this wc, fascinating considering his age and covid problems last year.
I think he was MOTM in almost every Copa game too. Crazy.

Back to back tournaments. Top G+A's in both tournaments. Not only did he score in every knockout round (a first), but he was MOTM in every one too (also a first).

He's setting new records at 35. Quite astonishing.

the_cliff

It's also a big deal in the Arab world if the ruler of a country is putting it on you. It's like the ultimate form of respect.

GinobiliTheGOAT

In a way goalkeeper Martinez last minute save gifted Messi his final ballon d’or at the end of the season otherwise it would have been Mbappe for sure after such an heroic final. It doesn’t even matter anymore who wins the CL.
Or Messi scoring to our Argentina ahead multiple times and Martinez making sure justice prevailed.

Hoof the ball

Maradona is God to every argentinian including Messi. To be able to emulate him and bring joy to the people like Maradona did must be special to Messi as well!
It was the oddest thing.

Maradona lost a World Cup Final (1990) and won a World Cup Final (1986) with the winning assist (3-2)
Messi lost a World Cup Final (2014) and almost won a World Cup Final (2022) with the winning goal (3-2)

It was almost so, so poetic. I was almost gutted for Messi. I could not believe Argentina were throwing away leads yet again after Messi scored what should have been the winning goal in 2nd extra time.

But to finally have that adulation of bringing a WC back to Argentina is special for them. He can sit in the pantheon now alongside Diego in terms of being beloved in his home country.

MalcolmTucker

Just a theory but I think having the tournament in the middle of the season helped Messi a lot.

He usually looks more laboured at international tournaments in the past but perhaps it's just that Argentina look like a proper team for the first time since he's played for them.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
I'm sad we lost to a team like Argentina, but happy that Messi at least can retire a world cup Champion while CR7 is definitely out of a conversation he never should have been in the first place.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Who will take the lead of the attack at PSG now ? I know Mbappe was the "boss" before but Messi as a WC has a new legitimacy
Mbappe's the tip of the spear as always, Messi is the playmaker along with Neymar. This whole 'boss' thing is silly. Mbappe had to carry them last season and it took them nowhere, if they can all step up then it's only to everybody's benefit.

Laurencio

Undisputed GOAT now.
1003 Games
793 goals
12 League titles
4 CL trophies
23 cup trophies (various)
Olympic Gold
Copa America
World Cup
7 balon d'or (probably 8 soon)

He's an absurdly extraordinary player. What a career we've had the pleasure to watch. Sublime.

Pickle85

1003 Games
793 goals
12 League titles
4 CL trophies
23 cup trophies (various)
Olympic Gold
Copa America
World Cup
7 balon d'or (probably 8 soon)

He's an absurdly extraordinary player. What a career we've had the pleasure to watch. Sublime.
Those are crazy stats. Assists must be up around the 800 mark too. One of the very best to do it... wonderful player.

FrankFoot

Supports
Neutral
Who will take the lead of the attack at PSG now ? I know Mbappe was the "boss" before but Messi as a WC has a new legitimacy
They haven't looked great against proper opposition in the UCL anyways.

I can see Messi leaving after this season to enjoy retirement in the MLS, not like he needs to score against Rennes, Montpelier, Ajaccio, etc to keep his legendary legacy.

He is gonna try very hard to win this UCL, but he hasn't been great in the UCL in the last 3 seasons against very good teams, and PSG defenders always have a blunder in them to throw away leads in minutes.

wr8_utd

:'(
That was impressive. When France made it 2-2 I didn't think he had the legs to keep Argentina in it but he played very well after too
In the immediate 5 minutes after the goal he looked rattled and kept loosing the ball but after that, he was magnificent. Played and attacked like a true leader today.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Yeah, true.

Absolutely. Showed the “desire & fighting spirit” so often criticised

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Absolutely. Showed the “desire & fighting spirit” so often criticised
This is the big difference. For the first time the weight of having to win for his country galvanized him instead of crushing him. I think getting the monkey off their back last year at the copa america - where Messi had an incredible tournament and then a bad final, but they won anyways - combined with the maturity that comes with age and the knowledge that this was it, now or never, gave him that inner fire he so often lacked in the past. Leadership is hard to quantify but his was very obvious in this WC, for once in his career

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Nope, was guessing. Good to know.
If he cracks 300 career assists that would be a truly staggering, mind-boggling number. Just think about the all time assists numbers in the PL compared to goals....

Pickle85

If he cracks 300 career assists that would be a truly staggering, mind-boggling number. Just think about the all time assists numbers in the PL compared to goals....
Tbh assist numbers never really register with me (clearly!) Now you mention it, though, you're absolutely right.