Lionel Messi \ Signs for PSG

Status
Not open for further replies.

shahzy

Literally no one would do this themselves. They only ever expect others to do it.
I mean the majority 99% of people are UNABLE to do this even if they considered it. People in the position to even consider it are multi millionaires or billionaires with multiple avenues of income. Shutting off 1 tap when there are 7 others isn't going to change a damn thing.

If you truly love your company/club as you have created the illusion of for years, then shutting off 1 tap isn't that big of a deal. Or atleast restricting that taps flow.

Instead of filling up his Rolls Royce twice a week, he might have to fill up his Maybach once a week. Point being, it matters f all.

Anyways my thoughts on this whole thing is, he's a greedy twat and shown himself to be. So much so that he has priced himself out of his 'preference' of staying at Barca, only to have 1 option in all of football which is a Mercenary club in a zero pressure comfortable environment. A real champion wants the challenge and there are examples of this throughout all of sport. Ridiculously talented, wuss mindset

ericPSG

Supports
PSG
When a tin-pot Championship-sized club can spend £100m on Jack Grealish and perhaps the most iconic club in World football can't keep their star player you know something is wrong with the game.

Super League is inching closer people. Don't cry when it happens just remember nobody spoke up loud enough about the direction the game is going.
when an iconic club pay absurd money on so many players (dembele, coutinho, griezman, de jong, pjanic) both in fees and wages, it s normal they bankrupt and can’t keep their players

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
That is net not gross.

They are paying him more than €80m a year (plus signing on fees, plus whatever they are having to give his dad).
No they're not. The rumor is 35M net which means the employer pays roughly 48M.

RedDevilPure

It is a massive shame the greatest ever footballer of all time decides to spend his last stage of his career in Ligue 1 when you've seen how players like Zlatan, Cavani could still come to the Premier League and perform at a very high level, I always wonder how a prime Zlatan and Cavani would have done in EPL, they would have no doubt become legends. I'd have honestly don't mind him going to City just so I can see him live and how he could perform at a much more competitive league. Why doesn't City try to sign him? They have unlimited money anyway. I'd have loved our club to sign him even though he has no connection to Man Utd. The Man Utd brand itself is already commercially the biggest in the English speaking world, if Messi comes over, the club would soon attract lots of South American talent who want to follow in the footstep of their idol.

Infra-red

Net i France doesn't means "after tax", it means after social costs paid by the employer and then by the employee (gross).

Money paid by the employer > gross salary > net salary > net after tax.
This is incorrect. Messi is not paying income tax on his €35m. If he were, his take home would barely break €400k per week. It's going to be closer to double that (and indeed, it is widely being reported at €770k per week, which tallies with my numbers rather than yours).

Member 101269

No they're not. The rumor is 35M net which means the employer pays roughly 48M.
plus the signing on fee?

It's interesting that Drucker says " SG could finish the window with Donnarumma, Ramos, Wijnaldum and Messi all joining on free transfers (if admittedly massive wages). Wow"

The signing on fees alone will surely be huge.

It's Monopoly with one player owning a private bank.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
This is incorrect. Messi is not paying income tax on his €35m. If he were, his take home would barely break €400k per week. It's going to be closer to double that (and indeed, it is widely being reported at €770k per week, which tallies with my numbers rather than yours).
That's not at all what is reported in France, and I rely far more on french credible sources than what is "widely reported". I've read pretty much anywhere than Messi would earn a bit more than Neymar who earns 30M net before taxes (which is consistent with the league financial reports). It would put Messi at 35M net before tax.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
plus the signing on fee?

It's interesting that Drucker says " SG could finish the window with Donnarumma, Ramos, Wijnaldum and Messi all joining on free transfers (if admittedly massive wages). Wow"

The signing on fees alone will surely be huge.

It's Monopoly with one player owning a private bank.
Nah it's only his salary, i haven't read anything credible about the signing fees at this point.

mshnsh

I mean even MSN only won 1 CL title and that trio had better synergy + it had a younger and arguable peak Messi.

I don't necessarily think it's a given PSG win the CL.
Agreed.

Winning knock tournaments is about a combination of luck, balance, tactics and brilliance or just luck (can supersede everything else) . PSG have the brilliance, but balance, tactics and luck also need to be there for success.

If brilliance was the only requirement, Barcelona would have won far more UCL titles under Guardiola, Enrique and Velverde. Enrique and Velverde were tactically inept.

It's the rest I think he would struggle with over 38 games.

In La Liga, most teams lay off him and let him run 4 or 5 times a game. Premier league will be more physical so he will have less room to stroll for 75 minutes like he did last season.
That is why we killed Villareal in the Europa league last season

Tallis

I highly doubt Messi would get out of bed for €35m net. He was getting paid €150m last year at Barca ? I am sure there will be plenty of back door payments here - sign on fee, fee for his agent (his dad) etc.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Where are PSG going to play him? Mpappe center and Messi on the right?

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Ramos and Messi in training will be fun to imagine.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
Pas encore? With impots at the source, there is only one net?
L'impôt à la source didn't change the fact that there's still a distinction between net and net after tax. It's just the way accounting works. It's actually mandatory for an employer to clearly state your net before tax salary on your payslip.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
Another thread made me think : we've pretty much all heard about this study that said Messi generated 200M+/y in revenues for Barcelona.

Even if it's probably wildly exagerated, is it possible that Messi, on a 35M/y net deal, pretty much pays for himself? I'm tempted to think that he probably does (or close), it opens A LOT of new marketing potential deals/re-negociations.

LazyRed-Ninja

Dutchman, who could have chosen any tagline.
Another thread made me think : we've pretty much all heard about this study that said Messi generated 200M+/y in revenues for Barcelona.

Even if it's probably wildly exagerated, is it possible that Messi, on a 35M/y net deal, pretty much pays for himself? I'm tempted to think that he probably does (or close), it opens A LOT of new marketing potential deals/re-negociations.
i’ve read somewhere that Messi brings/brought 30% of Barcelona’s total revenue up until 2017 when that study was done.

Quote;

Lionel Messi
  • has generated an estimated revenue of €619,265,000 since signing his latest deal with Barca in 2017, according to a recent financial study.
Article: https://www.marca.com/en/football/barcelona/2021/02/02/6019282446163fb3af8b45df.html

Basically he costs a lot of money but he will bring in massive commercial deals and exposure to the club in combination with results on the pitch.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
i’ve read somewhere that Messi brings/brought 30% of Barcelona’s total revenue up until 2017 when that study was done.

Quote;

Lionel Messi
  • has generated an estimated revenue of €619,265,000 since signing his latest deal with Barca in 2017, according to a recent financial study.
Article: https://www.marca.com/en/football/barcelona/2021/02/02/6019282446163fb3af8b45df.html

Basically he costs a lot of money but he will bring in massive commercial deals and exposure to the club in combination with results on the pitch.
Yeah, ive read this study as well. It does seem exagerated to me but even if only generates a fraction of that, we basically got him for free.

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
@Bole Top is pointing out that going to Bayern is less challenging than going to PSG given that they're more dominant in Germany than PSG are in France. Messi wouldn't be cementing his legacy any more at Bayern than he is at PSG.
The Bundesliga is the better league between the two competitions at least as a neutral I'd rather he played in Germany or Italy (ideally Premier League is the best competition at the moment). Both teams are very dominant but if PSG fails to win their league is more a bottle job on their part and not something that implies Ligue 1 is a stronger competition with better football. Bayern Munich is just the better club overall.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
The Bundesliga is the better league between the two competitions at least as a neutral I'd rather he played in Germany or Italy (ideally Premier League is the best competition at the moment). Both teams are very dominant but if PSG fails to win their league is more a bottle job on their part and not something that implies Ligue 1 is a stronger competition with better football. Bayern Munich is just the better club overall.
I agree with you (and i watch a lot of french/italian/german games). It's partially a bottle job, partially a fitness issue (we started ligue 1 only 1 week after the CL final), partially a lineup issue (our backups suck) etc. Some years are better than others in ligue 1 though, depending on how good the young players clubs recruited are. I'm pretty optimistic for this season but who knows.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
That's not at all what is reported in France, and I rely far more on french credible sources than what is "widely reported". I've read pretty much anywhere than Messi would earn a bit more than Neymar who earns 30M net before taxes (which is consistent with the league financial reports). It would put Messi at 35M net before tax.
who’s that?
Ramos and Messi in training will be fun to imagine.
Probably go straight through the back of him in the first training session

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
I agree with you (and i watch a lot of french/italian/german games). It's partially a bottle job, partially a fitness issue (we started ligue 1 only 1 week after the CL final), partially a lineup issue (our backups suck) etc. Some years are better than others in ligue 1 though, depending on how good the young players clubs recruited are. I'm pretty optimistic for this season but who knows.
Thanks for your reply I do like Bundesliga for the playstyle, France seems to produce a lot of players but my impression is they ship them on quite early for the rest of the clubs to be able to build strong sides. Then watching the team PSG I don't think anyone can contest them even if PSG doesn't reach its full potential.

Managing so many big players presents a challenge in itself but out of all their signing I think Ramos would be the most impactful one. At least he was a leader for us with a fierce competitive and winning mentality, so maybe he can be what the team needs to command all the big egos on the pitch and have a deep run into the CL while winning the league convincingly.

ElectroManiac

Can't post Tweets because of my new member status so I will post it like this

Get French Footbal News Twitter said:
Brest manager Michel Der Zakarian on the prospect of Messi joining PSG:

"We say that we have a s**t league, but if we manage to bring in a player like that it would be exceptional. I'm not going to be polite here, but he gives me a hard-on." (via RMC)
:lol::lol::lol:

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Apparently Messi and Icardi don't get along. Will be interesting if that has any effect on dressing room harmony.

Status
Not open for further replies.