g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Lionel Messi transfer rumors

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
Your post made me wonder why Arsenal don't go full retard on Messi? When I look at how much Kroenke is willing to spend on the Rams, I'm surprised about the fact that he didn't try to dazzle the planet with something like that at Arsenal, he and the club could afford it, if they raid some sponsors at the same time.
I was under the impression Kroenke doesn't spend much on his teams?

What is he doing with the rams? (I have no idea about them)

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
But it's not fantasy or a huge stretch to say that Newell's Old Boys can buy Messi in his prime?
Newell's Old Boys won't have to buy him. It's very likely that Messi will join them in the future once he feels the time is right.

Messi has spoke on many occasions about his desire to return to his home country and club once he is finished here. He's never cared about any of Europe's top clubs not named Barcelona.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I was under the impression Kroenke doesn't spend much on his teams?

What is he doing with the rams? (I have no idea about them)
He moved to L.A which costs a lot in itself and is going to build a multi billion stadium.

Ian Reus

Ended 14 years of Grand National sweepstakes
Because Barcelona care so much about these new prodigies they'd lose a sure fire star who is most likely the greatest player to play the sport who's still in his 20s for free. Okay then, think man.
I never said move there now.
I meant in a few years when's he's in his 30's and possibly a bit slower in his reflexes.

Bwuk

I wouldn't be that surprised if he left Barca in the summer.

gaucho_10

Largest wage bills in Europs (saw this on reddit)
  1. Barcelona - €340.3m
  2. Real Madrid - €289m
  3. Chelsea - €271m
  4. Paris St Germain - €254.8m
  5. Manchester United - €253.7m
  6. Manchester City - €242.5m
  7. Arsenal - €240m
  8. Bayern Munich - €227.3m
  9. Liverpool - €207.5m
  10. Juventus - €198.4m
  11. AC Milan - €163.8m(calendar year)
  12. Roma - €136m
  13. Tottenham - €126.2m
  14. Dortmund - €117.9m
  15. Inter Milan - €113.9m
  16. Schalke - €109m
  17. Atletico - €105m
  18. Aston Villa - €105m
  19. Everton - €97.5m
  20. Marseille - €96.8m
  21. Sunderland - €96.3m
  22. QPR - €91.25m
  23. West Ham - €91.25m
  24. Wolfsburg - €90m
  25. Southamton - €90m
  26. Swansea City - €88.75m
  27. West Brom - €87.5m
  28. Napoli - €85.1m
  29. Crystal Palace - €85m
  30. Monaco - €84.2m
  31. Stoke City - €83.7m
  32. Newcastle United - €81.2m
  33. Fiorentina - €78.8m
  34. Lyon - €75m
  35. Sevilla - €71.5m
  36. Leicester - €71.5m
  37. Hull City - €70m
  38. Porto - €69.9m
  39. Valencia - €64.3
  40. Hamburger SV - €63m (12/13 season)
  41. Lazio - €60.9m
  42. Norwich - €60.6m
  43. Benfica - €59.6m
  44. Cardiff - €51.25m
  45. Bordeaux - €50.9m
  46. Athletic Bilbao - €48.8m (13/14)
  47. Lille - €48.2m
  48. Genoa - €47m
  49. Fulham - €46.25m
  50. Monchengladbach - €45.5m (12/13)
  51. Sassuolo - €45.5m
  52. Sampdoria - €45.3m
  53. Ajax - €44.9m
  54. Saint Etienne - €41.7m
  55. Celtic - €41.5m
  56. Torino - €41m
  57. Stade Rennais - €40.2m
  58. Bournemouth - €37.5m
  59. Atalanta - €37.3m
  60. Burnley €36.75m
  • Exchange rate used £1 = €1.25

• These are the total wage costs of all employees not just the players. On average 79% of wages goes to the players. (Page 66)

• Most are from 14/15 season with a few exceptions. AC Milan's is from the calendar year 2015 not the 14/15 season. I couldn't find any figures from Fenerbache, Galatasaray, Zenit, CSKA and most Bundesliga clubs.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
  1. Barcelona - €340.3m
  2. Real Madrid - €289m
  3. Chelsea - €271m
  7. Arsenal - €240m
  8. Bayern Munich - €227.3m
  9. Liverpool - €207.5m
  10. Juventus - €198.4m
  11. AC Milan - €163.8m(calendar year)
  12. Roma - €136m
  13. Tottenham - €126.2m
  14. Dortmund - €117.9m
  15. Inter Milan - €113.9m
  16. Schalke - €109m
  17. Atletico - €105m
  18. Aston Villa - €105m
  19. Everton - €97.5m
  20. Marseille - €96.8m
  21. Sunderland - €96.3m
  22. QPR - €91.25m
  23. West Ham - €91.25m
  24. Wolfsburg - €90m
  25. Southamton - €90m
  26. Swansea City - €88.75m
  27. West Brom - €87.5m
  28. Napoli - €85.1m
  29. Crystal Palace - €85m
  30. Monaco - €84.2m
  31. Stoke City - €83.7m
  32. Newcastle United - €81.2m
  33. Fiorentina - €78.8m
  34. Lyon - €75m
  35. Sevilla - €71.5m
  36. Leicester - €71.5m
  37. Hull City - €70m
  38. Porto - €69.9m
  39. Valencia - €64.3
  40. Hamburger SV - €63m (12/13 season)
  41. Lazio - €60.9m
  42. Norwich - €60.6m
  43. Benfica - €59.6m
  44. Cardiff - €51.25m
  45. Bordeaux - €50.9m
  46. Athletic Bilbao - €48.8m (13/14)
  47. Lille - €48.2m
  48. Genoa - €47m
  49. Fulham - €46.25m
  50. Monchengladbach - €45.5m (12/13)
  51. Sassuolo - €45.5m
  52. Sampdoria - €45.3m
  53. Ajax - €44.9m
  54. Saint Etienne - €41.7m
  55. Celtic - €41.5m
  56. Torino - €41m
  57. Stade Rennais - €40.2m
  58. Bournemouth - €37.5m
  59. Atalanta - €37.3m
  60. Burnley €36.75m
  • Exchange rate used £1 = €1.25

• These are the total wage costs of all employees not just the players. On average 79% of wages goes to the players. (Page 66)

• Most are from 14/15 season with a few exceptions. AC Milan's is from the calendar year 2015 not the 14/15 season. I couldn't find any figures from Fenerbache, Galatasaray, Zenit, CSKA and most Bundesliga clubs.
IMO, their business model is pretty shite. They pay a few first team members, extraordinary amounts then pay the lower first team members peanuts. It means the gap in quality among squad members is pretty big. It also means they have little room to maneuver when trying to fill holes in the squad. So the effect of any bad transfer is always magnified. They have to sell a lot of squad members just to make one signing.Leaving them short on numbers

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
IMO, their business model is pretty shite. They pay a few first team members, extraordinary amounts then pay the lower first team members peanuts. It means the gap in quality among squad members is pretty big. It also means they have little room to maneuver when trying to fill holes in the squad. So the effect of any bad transfer is always magnified. They have to sell a lot of squad members just to make one signing. What is means is that, they're always short on numbers
Yeah totally can see where you coming from but then again it's worked wonders with Messi Neymar and the duck.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Yeah totally can see where you coming from but then again it's worked wonders with Messi Neymar and the duck.
It worked wonders but how sustainable is it? They are due major squad investment to rejuvenate the team behind those three players but they're stuck between a rock and a hard place. From what I read some time ago. After all three players have renewed, just three players would account for over a quarter of their wage bill. I can't see how that makes sense.
It would even make less sense when they still have to be paying Suarez and Messi huge amounts long after they've started declining. They won't even have the compensation of those players performing at their best.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
It worked wonders but how sustainable is it? They are due major squad investment to rejuvenate the team behind those three players but they're stuck between a rock and a hard place. From what I read some time ago. After all three players have renewed, just three players would account for over a quarter of their wage bill. I can't see how that makes sense.
I'm agreeing with you Adisa but just pointing out it has worked wonders for them.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
The thing is, it's not a model. It's directly linked to the players they have today, players that don't have equivalent on the market.

Zen

Most of these reports are suggesting he's behind Suarez and Neymars new contract, which would likely mean he's also behind Bale and Ronaldo, this could be a tough one for Barcelona.

WackyWengerWorld

Supports
Arsenal
Your post made me wonder why Arsenal don't go full retard on Messi? When I look at how much Kroenke is willing to spend on the Rams, I'm surprised about the fact that he didn't try to dazzle the planet with something like that at Arsenal, he and the club could afford it, if they raid some sponsors at the same time.
Kroenke typically invests little to nothing in the playing side of his sports teams and many of his teams Arsenal included have suffered since his take over. The move to LA is being part financed by the city if what I read is right. He stands to make far more in revenues from moving the team to LA so it makes business sense. Investing more money than is needed to make top 4 doesn't offer much extra revenue in comparison to the business cost.

WackyWengerWorld

Supports
Arsenal
It would even make less sense when they still have to be paying Suarez and Messi huge amounts long after they've started declining. They won't even have the compensation of those players performing at their best.
Like you say they'd have a big problem if one or more declined or got a long term injury. Suarez and Messi are incredibly fit though and imo won't decline that much. Suarez's contract if the 230k reported is correct is actually a good deal in the current market. The talk of Messi earning 800k is going to stretch them though

EvilEuro

Kroenke typically invests little to nothing in the playing side of his sports teams and many of his teams Arsenal included have suffered since his take over. The move to LA is being part financed by the city if what I read is right. He stands to make far more in revenues from moving the team to LA so it makes business sense. Investing more money than is needed to make top 4 doesn't offer much extra revenue in comparison to the business cost.
Being an LA native, I can tell you that you're correct and incorrect here.

You are incorrect regarding Kroenke's move being financed by the cith of Los Angeles. The city of Los Angeles didn't pay a dime to get the Rams. Nor are the city of Los Angeles (or the city of Inglewood, where the new stadium will be located) giving money to Kroenke for his new stadium. The NFL itself is helping out a bit with the stadium and there might be a few tax breaks for it from Inglewood. But the majority of the money itself is coming out of Kroenke's own pockets.

As a matter of fact, the last publically financed stadium in Los Angeles was the old Sports Arena, built in 1960. Every other arena built in LA (Dodger Stadium, The Forum, Staples Center, Galen Center, Pauley Pavillion) has been built either entirely with private money or, as was the case with Staples Center, a combination of private money plus a loan from the city which had to be paid back in relatively short order and with interest.

However, despite the large fine he had to pay for relocating his team from St. Louis to Los Angeles, you are correct that Kroenke stands to make far more revenues in LA than in St. Louis. The value of the Rams nearly doubled just from the move alone.

Moreover, there is no reason for Kroenke to "invest" in the Rams because the operating costs are already taken care of ahead of time. Operating costs in the NFL are controlled. There is a salary cap and player wages are covered from TV contract money distribution + league-wide revenue sharing. So before a ticket is sold, the team is going to break even at the very least. No team in the NFL loses money because of this setup.

This is most definitely different from Arsenal where he actually should be investing in the team.

And now back to Messi talk.

Reactions: Akshay

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Most of these reports are suggesting he's behind Suarez and Neymars new contract, which would likely mean he's also behind Bale and Ronaldo, this could be a tough one for Barcelona.
As i said, he's not behind suarez. Suarez is on £525k a week. Neymar is either on the same wage, or on £874k a week

Messi should be roughly on £800k a week right now. Asking for £1.1M per week to sign a new contract

Trizy

How has his contract only got 18 months left on it?!

He signs a new contract every month ffs!
I was thinking the exact same :lol:..

IF (big if) we were to sign him the little midget would cost over £500,000 a week just to match his current deal. Not to mention he would want an increase.

Obviously in a world of mad money, if there was ever a player who was worth 500k a week it's Messi. However, it doesn't make since given his age and potential goal/assist return for that money.

Then again, he the 2nd biggest marketable player ever behind Ronaldo. United do love the old marketability.

Bogart-er

Supports
Arsenal
China to offer him control of the South China Sea perhaps?

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
As i said, he's not behind suarez. Suarez is on £525k a week. Neymar is either on the same wage, or on £874k a week

Messi should be roughly on £800k a week right now. Asking for £1.1M per week to sign a new contract
There is no way Suarez is on £525k a week or Neymar at £875k a week.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Neymar is apparently on £15.9m net per season basic + 7m bonuses. Not sure what that equates to gross per week.

Sarni

Neymar is apparently on £15.9m net per season basic + 7m bonuses. Not sure what that equates to gross per week.
Well unless taxes in Spain are at 70% or something, it's nowhere near £875k a week (which would be close to £50m).

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Not sure about neymar, but that's what the spanish medias reported about suarez. €15M a year after tax, that means €31M/year before tax

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
  1. Barcelona - €340.3m
  2. Real Madrid - €289m
  3. Chelsea - €271m
  7. Arsenal - €240m
Seems fairly surprising that Chelsea are still above us, now we've gone all Hollywood and have the likes of Zlat and Pogba to go on top of Rooney for top in country level wages?
Is even Hazard equal to those 3 in wage terms?

Could well be more down to larger squad, having sh!tloads of players out on loan. For a shocking example, my league 2 team Wycombe currently have one of their young keepers, and he's reputed to be on 13k a week!

Arsenal only 13m under our bill?! Yet the perception is that they're paltry payers!!

Needham

He's a better than average player but a small man with a cowering mentality. No way he dare confront reality outside his lame Lionel/Christiano annual Ballon d'Or fantasy bubble. Keep hiding out from the Britannia little Leo!

Zen

I don't take into account all this "after tax" shit, especially given that none of these pay the the same rates as any normal person does as they are all registered as businesses and what not, and then pay their own employees and all that shit.....it's a complicated thing. Any loophole to lower their tax, they ain't going to let Barcelona off on 50% when they themselves can probably figure out a way to get it much lower.

Ballpark figures seem to have the big 5 between 280k(Suarez)-400k(Ronaldo). Although some claim Suarez was put above him, I dunno, either way, Messi is probably on less than Bale and Neymar as well as Ronaldo right now.

Andre Kagawa

He's a better than average player but a small man with a cowering mentality. No way he dare confront reality outside his lame Lionel/Christiano annual Ballon d'Or fantasy bubble. Keep hiding out from the Britannia little Leo!
:lol:

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I don't take into account all this "after tax" shit, especially given that none of these pay the the same rates as any normal person does as they are all registered as businesses and what not, and then pay their own employees and all that shit.....it's a complicated thing. Any loophole to lower their tax, they ain't going to let Barcelona off on 50% when they themselves can probably figure out a way to get it much lower.
They can't use any loophole in Spain. Players are employees of the clubs, they sign employees contracts, subject to normal taxation.

Ballpark figures seem to have the big 5 between 280k(Suarez)-400k(Ronaldo). Although some claim Suarez was put above him, I dunno, either way, Messi is probably on less than Bale and Neymar as well as Ronaldo right now.
Those are after tax figures. Messi makes about as much as cristiano right now(a little less perhaps). He makes way more than suarez and bale

Flytan

How moronic do Barcelona have to be to give Neymar and Suarez their rumored contracts to make signing Messi financially difficult?

Zen

They can't use any loophole in Spain. Players are employees of the clubs, they sign employees contracts, subject to normal taxation.

Those are after tax figures. Messi makes about as much as cristiano right now(a little less perhaps). He makes way more than suarez and bale
Yeah, like I said, you and endless random tabloids can keep claiming it. But I won't buy into the after tax stuff, it's literally a loss to the player, I could work my way around paying some of it, and I don't have a team of experts working for me, theres no way they'd allow it however straight forward you think it is, it wouldn't take so long to finalize if it were that simple. While there doesn't seem to be much consistency on actual figures, Ronaldo, Bale, Neymar and Suarez have all signed new contracts since Messi's last one, and while I'd give you Suarez, I highly doubt the other would be on less knowing he'd just go above them anyway, and even more so that Real Madrid don't truly have a 'third' star to stump up for.

Sarni

Yep. He's been hiding from the true competition that is Premier League his entire career.

Zen

He's gonna join Leeds on a free next year.

JeffBoomTetris

The mighty premier league teams who soil themselves when they have to play Messi

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Yeah, like I said, you and endless random tabloids can keep claiming it. But I won't buy into the after tax stuff, it's literally a loss to the player,
What the hell are you talking about? How is it a loss for the player? Everyone has to pay taxes. Football players, by law, sign employee's contracts with their clubs. That means their contracts are subject to the normal income taxes. What that means is that the clubs have to pay a lot of money to give their players such highe wages, since more than half of ot goes into taxes. That's precisely why barcelona have problems with messi's new contract

While there doesn't seem to be much consistency on actual figures, Ronaldo, Bale, Neymar and Suarez have all signed new contracts since Messi's last one, and while I'd give you Suarez, I highly doubt the other would be on less knowing he'd just go above them anyway, and even more so that Real Madrid don't truly have a 'third' star to stump up for.
As i said, Messi's been on €20+M a year after tax for ages now. That's about 700/800k a week gross. Even if you're right and they found sone way to work around taxes, that's still roughly £335/350k a week that go straight into his pockets. Bale and Suarez are on roughly £250k a week (again, this is money that goes straight into their pockets)

Zen

This is why it's massively complicated, you are getting lost with the very first and basic instance of it. I literally give up, if you think they sign basic employment contracts like we all do, then cool. But they really really don't.

And yeah, as said, you can say it as much as you want. But either way, nothing truly suggests Messi is on as much as you think he is, especially literally every source suggested Tevez at 600k would be, by a long long long way, the highest base salary in the game. Which alone kills your belief that Messi is on 700-800k.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
This is why it's massively complicated, you are getting lost with the very first and basic instance of it. I literally give up, if you think they sign basic employment contracts like we all do, then cool. But they really really don't.

And yeah, as said, you can say it as much as you want. But either way, nothing truly suggests Messi is on as much as you think he is, especially literally every source suggested Tevez at 600k would be, by a long long long way, the highest base salary in the game. Which alone kills your belief that Messi is on 700-800k.
No, it's the british tabloids who were saying that about tevez and because journos nowadays are lazy fecks everybody else just run with it instead of checking. Keep in mind for whatever reason british, spanish and italian jounos really never bother to check what each other is saying. British tabloids will quote player A as being on £250k a week, spanish and italian papers will quote that automatically as £250k a week after tax. And vice versa

Btw, tevez may very well be the highest paid player in the world, depending on chinese taxes

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
------------------Martial------
----Ronaldo------Messi-----Griezman----
---------------------------------------------
----------Pogba-----------Carrick----------
---------------------------------------------