Lionel Messi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
His passing has always been very good in my opinion, in terms of playing the right pass or attempting to slot players in but it hasnt always been as accurate. It's probably the only aspect that can make him an even more effective player.

I agree, he hasn't been finishing chances you would usually bank on him finishing but still, if he isnt scoring he's setting up and if he isn't creating he's scoring.

He does need a rest though, which i think he'll get since they have basically conceded the league to Madrid.
I'd agree his passing's been very good ever since he first broke through into that Barca team, but it was always a cut below the best in my view. The vision was always there and with his tiki-taka upbringing his short passing particularly in close spaces was unsurprisingly excellent but compared to the rest of the game it always seemed somewhat reserved, he was still hugely creative but more so through opening up the space with his dribbling and then slipping it through rather than genuine outright brilliant passing, in my view. This might be the season that's beginning to change, and if Argentina are intent on playing him in the deeper role because they can't find another way to make that team work then him elevating his passing game could make all the difference in terms of tying that team together. He's always been a creator but it's another thing entirely to be a playmaker and if he's capable of making that transition then that just makes him that bit more unstoppable.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
I'm not entirely sure but from what I know that's a fairly broad term isn't it? Could mean anything from Pirlo to Rooney in my interpretation if it. I don't think he'll ever become a deep-lying playmaker sort, that kind of balance and dribbling doesn't go away regardless of speed and there's no reason not to make full use of it high up the pitch. Can definitely see him dropping deeper than he is now though yeah, probably into the role he played for Argentina at the Copa America with a hard working midfield behind him. And I can certainly see him becoming more passing-orientated as the years go on and it'll only add to his legend if he can be the one dictating the tempo and being the provider for the creative players.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
The kid's not had a rest in what, 3 years? Copa America, World cup, 50+ games each season... it takes it's toll. It's amazing how he's managed to do it for so long.

Now that Madrid have La Liga sewn up I'd just wrap him up in cotton wool and just play him for Copa Del Ray and Champions League games
It really is, him and Cristiano are 2 phenomenon in terms of consistency.Messi is also unbelievably fit and resistant to injuries.

Eriku

It really is, him and Cristiano are 2 phenomenon in terms of consistency.Messi is also unbelievably fit and resistant to injuries.
Which goes to show that sometimes, in the teen years, injuries are just something you sustain more often. Which I find encouraging... I hope the Da Silvas, for example, show the same sort of resurgence to long bouts of fitness.

FranklyVulgar

I've got a pretty little mouth underneath all the
I'd agree his passing's been very good ever since he first broke through into that Barca team, but it was always a cut below the best in my view. The vision was always there and with his tiki-taka upbringing his short passing particularly in close spaces was unsurprisingly excellent but compared to the rest of the game it always seemed somewhat reserved, he was still hugely creative but more so through opening up the space with his dribbling and then slipping it through rather than genuine outright brilliant passing, in my view. This might be the season that's beginning to change, and if Argentina are intent on playing him in the deeper role because they can't find another way to make that team work then him elevating his passing game could make all the difference in terms of tying that team together. He's always been a creator but it's another thing entirely to be a playmaker and if he's capable of making that transition then that just makes him that bit more unstoppable.
Agree with all of that. He's too great a tallent to not find his passing game. I thought from early that he'd be a playmaker but he because such a prolific goal scorer that you can't really be both, at least not to their fullest effect. Generally a player will improve their passing as they get older, it's strange. People have written off his ability to get better before and everyone would agree he's not been quite his outstanding best but even with his level dropping off he's still a cut above. At 24 it's very interesting to see just how he'll adapt, develop etc as he reaches his "peak" years.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Rooney was randomly fifth in that knockout phase goal list, bit surprised by that one....although more surprised by the lack of consistent knockout goalscorers really.

Like 10 of Rooneys have come against Milan and Roma too...then 1 vs Barca/Bayern/Chelsea/Schalke I think. Man why I do I remember that shit, probably because he went years without scoring -_-
It's because so few teams progress regularly in the knockouts. United are at least making the quarter finals and Barca have gone all the way to the semis at least a lot of times with Messi.

Snow

That would be flattering tbf. Assist counts are a bit weird though but it doesn't really matter if it counts or not. Won't make any difference at all at the end of the day.

Snow

Only 13 behind to become the all time top scorer for Barcelona. At the age of 24!
I'll focus more on the fact that he's already 2nd all time scorer in the league. He's 2nd there, but still about 50 goals behind number 1.
They didn't have as many European games back in the day.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Does Cal? not have 1 good word to say about Messi, ever?
I've said plenty of good words about him before, his 4 goals last night was a great performance. In fact I've said many times that he deserved his Ballon D'or in 11 & 09.

However, his penalty taking does leave a lot to be desired for. It gives the impression that he really cares about goalscoring records if he continues taking them. I'm sure there are others in that Barca team who are much better at taking penalties than he is.

Cal?

CR7 fan
When he can score and create so many from open play i doubt that concerns him too much.
Except for the fact his penalty taking has already cost them a few points this season... :D

Cal?

CR7 fan
and he still has 40 goals from open play... and has created 20.. thats quite an insane record he's got going there.
No denying that at all... but surely having him take the penalties isn't the greatest idea...

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
That would be flattering tbf. Assist counts are a bit weird though but it doesn't really matter if it counts or not. Won't make any difference at all at the end of the day.
Assists are a weird stat as they do not give you the entire picture but I think when you have around 20 of them and the season is not close to be over, it's fair to say that the player is extremely creative offensively.

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
Its a sign of how good he's become that poor Cal? can only come up with "penalties" as a credible anti-Messi argument. :lol:

Zen

tbh Cal has a valid point.

At some point a penalty is gonna come down to him as the 10th penalty taker in a shootout....prolly the world cup final in Brazil....then Argentina will only have a 70% chance of winning the thing, the best odds they've ever had, even when in the final, England had Joe Hart sent off for dissent and Rooney pulled up injured straight after the third sub in the 57th minute, it was still 40/60 in Englands favour.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
I don't quite understand how someone can be anti-Messi, tbh. He's nowhere near infallible, but on TOP of his remarkable football ability, he seems a very honest, down to earth professional.

He's not really renowned for diving (I'm not saying he has never dived but you get the drift), he doesn't cheat, he doesn't feign injury, he's probably the most fouled or kicked footballer - but he just seems to get up and get on with it, he scores and sets up goals (though he is a bit more selfish these days, then say, 2 years ago) and generally, he mesmerizes and produces entertainment of the highest order.

Basically, he's the best footballer on the planet, bar none. I don't think someone could have picked a worse player to dislike, frankly.

There's a point in liking "he who must not be named in this thread" and appreciating what he did for our club but to take it to the insanely obssessed levels where it kinds of impacts your joy at watching Messi is frankly, ridiculous and a bit childish.

I enjoy watching them both, though I hate the fact that both of their clubs are currently stronger than ours. But to be blunt, Messi is undisputedly TBPITW.

Marcosdeto

Guess who's back?
I don't quite understand how someone can be anti-Messi, tbh. He's nowhere near infallible, but on TOP of his remarkable football ability, he seems a very honest, down to earth professional.

He's not really renowned for diving (I'm not saying he has never dived but you get the drift), he doesn't cheat, he doesn't feign injury, he's probably the most fouled or kicked footballer - but he just seems to get up and get on with it, he scores and sets up goals (though he is a bit more selfish these days, then say, 2 years ago) and generally, he mesmerizes and produces entertainment of the highest order.

Basically, he's the best footballer on the planet, bar none. I don't think someone could have picked a worse player to dislike, frankly.

There's a point in liking "he who must not be named in this thread" and appreciating what he did for our club but to take it to the insanely obssessed levels where it kinds of impacts your joy at watching Messi is frankly, ridiculous and a bit childish.

I enjoy watching them both, though I hate the fact that both of their clubs are currently stronger than ours. But to be blunt, Messi is undisputedly TBPITW.
some fans cant get over the fact that they beat us twice in cl finals

but they don't realize that losing against a great team doesnt diminish our own value,

i mean, i rather lose against barcelona than against porto

Snow

Assists are a weird stat as they do not give you the entire picture but I think when you have around 20 of them and the season is not close to be over, it's fair to say that the player is extremely creative offensively.
My point exactly. Doesn't matter if that pass counts as an assist or not. He won't be judged by it and he'd still lead the charts.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.

but they don't realize that losing against a great team doesnt diminish our own value,

fair point marco.

The current Barcelona team will be seen among the greatest football teams of all time.

no shame losing to them. But I am more interested in Fergie's comments that we are about two players away from them.

cant wait;)

Snow

Think it's more down to fanboism or Real Madrid fan.

No excuse. You can prefer Sneijder or Xavi or Ronaldo but still acknowledge Messi to be the best.

FranklyVulgar

No denying that at all... but surely having him take the penalties isn't the greatest idea...
Every player will miss penalties. Generally i'd say he's an excellent penalty taker, he hasn't exactly missed the highest profile penalties going. If he misses one in a CL Semi/CL Final or World Cup it'd be a different story but his overall record is probably pretty good.

Maradona himself missed his fair share.

Marcosdeto

Guess who's back?
Every player will miss penalties. Generally i'd say he's an excellent penalty taker, he hasn't exactly missed the highest profile penalties going. If he misses one in a CL Semi/CL Final or World Cup it'd be a different story but his overall record is probably pretty good.

Maradona himself missed his fair share.
i've seen maradona, platini and zico miss crucial penalties

in fact, even Cristiano Ronaldo missed one in the CL final against chelsea

and no one will dare to say that CR doesn't know how to take penalties

Marcosdeto

Guess who's back?
fair point marco.

The current Barcelona team will be seen among the greatest football teams of all time.

no shame losing to them. But I am more interested in Fergie's comments that we are about two players away from them.

cant wait;)
fergie knows what he is talking about

we were very unlucky, we had one of the greatest teams ever at the same time Barcelona had one a bit better

we could have five Champions League cups now, but we shared our best team with barcelona's best team and, sadly, they are a bit better

FranklyVulgar

i've seen maradona, platini and zico miss crucial penalties

in fact, even Cristiano Ronaldo missed one in the CL final against chelsea

and no one will dare to say that CR doesn't know how to take penalties
In his book there are quite a few occasions when Maradona speaks about missing penalties.

Cristiano also missed in the CL Semi against Barcelona. It doesnt matter if the team wins but if the team doesnt...

Status
Not open for further replies.