Lionel Messi

pregra

Supports
FC Barcelona,Argentina
That chip is up there with the one against Mexico in the 2007 Copa America semifinal

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
To those who have followed his career more closely: I know he had several wonder seasons, but was he actually better than so far this season in any of them?

Eddy_JukeZ

To those who have followed his career more closely: I know he had several wonder seasons, but was he actually better than so far this season in any of them?
He was still better in 2014-2015 and 2010-2011 IMO. People forget how incredible he was during 2010-2011.

He was more explosive then.

We'll see how he finishes the CL campaign.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
To those who have followed his career more closely: I know he had several wonder seasons, but was he actually better than this season (so far) in any of them?
He had his record season where he played further up front and scored even more. I'd say he was also a better dribbler back then because he had a better top speed and more explosiveness (though he still can accelerate incredibly fast). But he's at his playmaking best and his decision making has never been better IMO. He's also doing it currently without history's best midfield respectively front three. After all it depends on what you prefer but it simply doesn't get much better than this.

ekestubbe

To those who have followed his career more closely: I know he had several wonder seasons, but was he actually better than this season (so far) in any of them?
He used to play with Xavi and Iniesta for a very long time which must have helped a bit. Now he's doing it all himself.

Classical Mechanic

In 12/13 in the league he played 32 games, scored 46 goals and got 12 assists. He scored 91 goals in the calendar year of 2012....

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
If he plays something similar to his normal level the only thing Solskjaer can do is simple. Pray.

Can’t say I have been following intensively his career but the level at what he has been playing after the WC is comfortably prime Messi.

There’s no strategy to stop this.

Skorenzy

All just my opinion:
2010/11 and 2014/15 he was several orders of magnitude better.
2009/10 and 2011/12 clearly better.
2008/09, 2012/13, 2016/17, 2017/18 arguably on the same level depending on your criteria (he had some equally stunning performances at the Bernábeu and the Villamarín again, where he was applauded by the Betis fans back then too). Though if he has a couple more high-profile games like this, the Sevilla and Spurs ones in the CL and his base level doesn't drop this season would easily be elevated to anything from his 3rd to 5th best.

Schneckerl

All just my opinion:
2010/11 and 2014/15 he was several orders of magnitude better.
2009/10 and 2011/12 clearly better.
2008/09, 2012/13, 2016/17, 2017/18 arguably on the same level depending on your criteria (he had some equally stunning performances at the Bernábeu and the Villamarín again, where he was applauded by the Betis fans back then too). Though if he has a couple more high-profile games like this, the Sevilla and Spurs ones in the CL and his base level doesn't drop this season would easily be elevated to anything from his 3rd to 5th best.
Good list, agreed that 10/11 & 14/15 are his best season overall.
One issue Messi has this season is that he was injured/rather ordinary in games against Real/Atletico compared to what we've seen in the past from him.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Cheers @everyone

To think this is not even seen as his (joint) peak by many...

Makes me wish I had watched him more, well, religiously in the past.
But he's at his playmaking best and his decision making has never been better IMO. He's also doing it currently without history's best midfield respectively front three. After all it depends on what you prefer but it simply doesn't get much better than this.
I think that does it for me, purely as a matter of preference, as you say. Just love the mix of total calmness and pure genius with which he dictates the attacks in the opposition half. The whole situation for his late shot on post today sums it up perfectly.

Cait Sith

This is his most impressive season (and I firmly believe Barca will win the CL this year as well) purely because it's the first time you can say he isn't playing alongside 3 others "GOATs". Don't get me wrong, Barca without him is still top 3 in the world easily, maybe even still the best, but "Xavi, Iniesta, Alves" or "Iniesta, prime Suarez, Neymar, Alves" is a completely different level to Sergi Roberto, Rakitic, Lenglet, Dembélé (who is in and out of the team with injuries/disciplinary issues).

It's also why I believe Valverde is a great coach. Barca fans take it for granted but this is the first time in years that the Barca squad needs "actual" coaching. Simply motivating 11 world class players of which 3 or 4 are the best of the past 30 or so years doesn't cut it anymore.

Last edited:

Hazard Warning

Supports
Chelsea
He’s actually making a mockery of the sport. Did you see him today? Surely he cannot be the same species as me. That highlight video posted in the previous page from less than a full season would be good enough for a typical world class player’s full career. :lol:

I’ve been lucky enough to watch him live a couple of times but I wish I lived in Barcelona to go watch him every other week. The space he makes for himself off the ball whilst barely walking is a different level, let alone what he does when he actually gets the ball.

For anyone who tries to argue that individual awards in team sports are a good way to measure a player’s career, I will simply tell them Messi came 5th in the 2018 Balon D’or, it’s an instant win in the argument for me.

In my humble opinion he’s better than ever, he’s refined his playmaking skills, retained his finishing ability and improved his decision making (somehow) at the trade off for a slight decline in his explosiveness and trickery. I’m looking forward to next season to see how he manages to improve himself :drool:

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
This is one of my favorite clips ever. Not because of Messi's goal.

1. Build up from the other commentator
2. Ray Hudson's initial ejaculation
3. "... sinks his spear, into the hearts, of Real Madrid"
4. The frame of Marcelo collapsing
5. Casemiro looking from the sideline
6. Enrique jumping
7. Ronaldo histrionics
8. Messi's celebration
9. The referee's slow and deliberate yellow card motion
10. The goal replay
11. "... cool as the seeds inside a cucumber"
I still think it's one of Messi's best games, in the conversation for his best alongside the semi finals vs Madrid and Bayern. Sensational from start to finish, there were times when it was like Zidane vs Brazil in 2006 but of course he had more end product. The ending with the 500 + the celebration just completed the package.

Cloud7

This guy eh.

People can spout whatever stats they want to, but my eyes tell me all I need to know. This man is the the best. That chip, feck me, that is the definition of the beautiful game.

Cait Sith

This "he came 5th in the Ballon d'Or voting" has actually become a meme now, I read it under every DAZN Barca highlight video on Youtube ("not bad from the 5th best player in the world" etc.).

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Cheers @everyone

To think this is not even seen as his (joint) peak by many...

Makes me wish I had watched him more, well, religiously in the past.
Same - at that time I was just desperate for anyone to dethrone Barca so everytime I watched him I'd be looking at the opposition players and hoping there were 2-3 in cover whenever he got the ball. I think I literally was focusing on the opposition trying to get back into shape more than him dribbling :lol:

Slightly OT but I recently saw this video about Barca from that time - amazing domination, especially the segments vs Real in the 5-0 game

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
He’s actually making a mockery of the sport. Did you see him today? Surely he cannot be the same species as me. That highlight video posted in the previous page from less than a full season would be good enough for a typical world class player’s full career. :lol:

I’ve been lucky enough to watch him live a couple of times but I wish I lived in Barcelona to go watch him every other week. The space he makes for himself off the ball whilst barely walking is a different level, let alone what he does when he actually gets the ball.

For anyone who tries to argue that individual awards in team sports are a good way to measure a player’s career, I will simply tell them Messi came 5th in the 2018 Balon D’or, it’s an instant win in the argument for me.

In my humble opinion he’s better than ever, he’s refined his playmaking skills, retained his finishing ability and improved his decision making (somehow) at the trade off for a slight decline in his explosiveness and trickery. I’m looking forward to next season to see how he manages to improve himself :drool:
People who don't admit that are lying to themselves. He is to football what Usain Bolt is to sprinting. A different breed.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Same - at that time I was just desperate for anyone to dethrone Barca so everytime I watched him I'd be looking at the opposition players and hoping there were 2-3 in cover whenever he got the ball. I think I literally was focusing on the opposition trying to get back into shape more than him dribbling :lol:
What a waste :lol:

Skills

Snitch
This "he came 5th in the Ballon d'Or voting" has actually become a meme now, I read it under every DAZN Barca highlight video on Youtube ("not bad from the 5th best player in the world" etc.).
5th in the world would be an honour for the vast majority of players to have ever played the game. It really is an insult to him.

Red Star One

Making the game look easy. Can't imagine there will ever be a more skilled and better footballer. Messi is pure magic.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen

Slightly OT but I recently saw this video about Barca from that time - amazing domination, especially the segments vs Real in the 5-0 game
My great idol was always Ronaldinho and I was so pissed when he was forced out that I never really rated Messi back then. I loved the Brazilian trickery and to me Messi was just running past defenders exploiting his pace but not nearly as spectacular. Couldn't stand how quickly everybody seemed to have forgotten about Ronaldinho while Messi and Cristiano were already regarded as the best in history. I only started warming up to him credit after 2013 or so, so I missed out on his best years, too. Could slap myself for it because in hindsight Pep's Barca was really, really special.

Eddy_JukeZ

Most free-kick goals since 2011-2012 in the top 5 European leagues.

Only Juventus have scored more than Messi.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
People who don't admit that are lying to themselves. He is to football what Usain Bolt is to sprinting. A different breed.
If only comparisons between footballers was as easy as comparisons between sprinters. It's easy to say Usain is the best of all time because, in recorded history, he simply is the best of all time.

But at the same time, it's that intangible stuff that makes discussing football so fun :drool:

Canagel

the carousel as Fergie called it. they really passed and pressed you into submission. their 2014/15 team was also very good and even more deadly imo.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
If only comparisons between footballers was as easy as comparisons between sprinters. It's easy to say Usain is the best of all time because, in recorded history, he simply is the best of all time.

But at the same time, it's that intangible stuff that makes discussing football so fun :drool:
Messi has off days, same as Bolt. But when he's on, I don't think there's anything that compares in the history of modern football. No one has that skillset of his. His combination of close control and vision is unmatched.

There's only one explanation for that, that, not surprisingly, does factor that intangibility: talent. His muscles, body, nerves and brain function differently. No athlete can deliver that package, no other human being is superior at this present moment. When Ray Hudson compares him to Neo in The Matrix, it's not that far-fetched at times.
That performance of his against Real after being cloberred by Ramos and scoring the winning goal in the dying minutes of the game is proof.

Stadjer

Lets just hope he has two offdays when he plays against Manchester United... if he feels like playing he is basically unstopable.