Lionel Messi

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Messi always was a fair weather player, he’s not wrong. Fortunately he was also always the fecking sun too so it didn’t matter.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
:lol:

There’s definitely no bias there
Funny how Messi was "winning games by himself" while playing on a team that won Euro-WC-Euro, then again on a team with 2 of the 4 best players in the world next to him, but as soon as the team around him got worse he "declined".... :rolleyes:

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Funny how Messi was "winning games by himself" while playing on a team that won Euro-WC-Euro, then again on a team with 2 of the 4 best players in the world next to him, but as soon as the team around him got worse he "declined".... :rolleyes:
But in that case no player in football consistently wins games by himself. Every great player has had amazing players to play with.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Absolute bullshit. There's no set window for decline. You can see that he's been getting worse and worse since 2015. His performance against Liverpool away last year was evidence of that.

The reality is that age is catching up with him and he's not got Ronaldo's athletic prowess so he has to rely on other attributes. The same ones posters of this forum said he could easily transform his game with... yet against very good sides he produces very little.
The Liverpool games? Jesus :lol:

cyberman

Madrid have him sussed. Hes struggled against them for a few years now

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Madrid have him sussed. Hes struggled against them for a few years now
They throw 5 people at him and normally the other players would punish them. Madrid just won their first clasico in years against us.

Bole Top

I watch pretty much every Barca game because of him and I find a timing of bump a bit odd because in reality, he's been rather underhelming ever since the start of the second part of the season. compared to his standards, of course. I'd say it's gotten as close as it could get to a point when you can't really say he's been underperforming, yet he's simply not playing on the level we're all used to. to be perfectly honest, if it wasn't for those 4 goals vs Eibar last saturday, I'd struggle to remember his last trully great game, even against lesser teams. fair enough if he's carrying a knock, but to me he simply looks drained and that goes for the rest of the squad as well. they simply can't catch a breath at the moment and they play Sociedad next so it's another tough game he can't be rested for. so much for managing himself better.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
The break did him wonders. While the competition hasn’t been anything to write home about, he’s looked really up for it lately

VanKenny

The break did him wonders. While the competition hasn’t been anything to write home about, he’s looked really up for it lately
Was worried about how would he do after the break, and he surprised me a lot. He played like he was 25, was very good to watch. He is hungry thats for sure.

MalcolmTucker

I'd say before the break it was the longest stretch of poor form (for Messi standards) I'd seen from him - perhaps he was struggling with an injury but he's been great and very energetic in these two games back.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Bit quiet in here.

I think he's finished..

He's getting old..

I don't think he will win the balon dor again.

Shouldn't have signed a new contract and tried a new challenge in the Argentinian league etc..

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
Bit quiet in here.

I think he's finished..

He's getting old..

Shouldn't have signed a new contract and tried a new challenge in the Argentinian league etc..
*furious typing*

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Bit quiet in here.

I think he's finished..

He's getting old..

He has 21 goals and 14 assists in 25 La Liga matches, man.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
He has 21 goals and 14 assists in 25 La Liga matches, man.
Everybody loses their craze when he helps beat leganes and mallorca and he stumbles with Sevilla and absolutely nothing.

The guy is lucky to have perfected his own league with one club.

Dont get why he is allowed to be quiet when he has literally world class players consistently playing next to him from Greizmann to suarez to the ones who fumbled like coutinho and the ones who play in other leagues like literally a new career under new managers, new league tactics, who also score 21 goals are finished.

Messi does the same shit, in the same league with and against the same players.

When he doesnt it's okay because the number is high isnt it? In the la Liga? When he has a quiet game in the CL it's okay because it's okay because he has high numbers in the la Liga?

Let's just see how he does from here, if he just a great La Liga player or anything else.

:):)

I love the messi fans x

MalcolmTucker

Bit quiet in here.

I think he's finished..

He's getting old..

I know you're trolling but he's got 2 goals and 2 assists in the last 6 days.

When he doesnt it's okay because the number is high isnt it? In the la Liga? When he has a quiet game in the CL it's okay because it's okay because he has high numbers in the la Liga?
He was the top scorer in the Champions League last season :lol:

jamesjimmybyrondean

Everybody loses their craze when he helps beat leganes and mallorca and he stumbles with Sevilla and absolutely nothing.

Dont get why he is allowed to be quiet when he has literally world class players consistently playing next to him from Greizmann to suarez to the ones who fumbled like coutinho and the ones who play in other leagues like literally a new career under new managers, new league tactics, who also score 21 goals are finished.

Let's just see how he does from here, if he just a great La Liga player or anything else.

I love the messi fans x
This argument again. You want him to tear us a new one again right :lol:

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget

I love the messi fans x
Don’t think I’ve ever seen Messi described as lucky before.

fps

People criticising Messi. Goodness. What does that make every other person who’s ever played the game. So edgy, we’re all so impressed.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

I love the messi fans x

MrEleson

Even the other day when he scored and went on a few runs, he was dispossessed over 30 times which is an incredible stat really.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Not good. Would probably have been the worst game I've seen of him if he didn't turn it up towards the end of the game. Still gave an (albeit lucky) assist and lit up in the end after Puig and Fati came on. He looks better when not everything has to run through him. After Puig provided some verticality and pace in the midfield, Messi could move to the RW and get at the end of attacks. Was much better then.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Looking at how Barcas recruitment is, and how the board and the managers they seem to drag off the street like Setién with no coaching ability, I'd say Messi should really move on from Barca.

That rebuild job is too big for Barca.

Suarez offers nothing, Griezmann awful, Arthur is gone, Busquets is 31, Pique 33, Alba 31.

The rebuild is too big, they need a new midfield, new attackers, and that's going to cost a lot of money.

Realistically with this current squad Messi won't win another CL, perhaps not another Balon d'Or given how the side is now.

I start to look at the Barca team and think 'Why stay?', yes I get the loyalty given he's been there since age 13? But if he wants to win another CL and another Balon d'Or perhaps he should move teams... the Barca side is extremely bad now, a real chore to watch.

You're talking hundreds of millions of investment and he would have retired at that point.

izec

Looking at how Barcas recruitment is, and how the board and the managers they seem to drag off the street like Setién with no coaching ability, I'd say Messi should really move on from Barca.

That rebuild job is too big for Barca.

Suarez offers nothing, Griezmann awful, Arthur is gone, Busquets is 31, Pique 33, Alba 31.

The rebuild is too big, they need a new midfield, new attackers, and that's going to cost a lot of money.

Realistically with this current squad Messi won't win another CL, perhaps not another Balon d'Or given how the side is now.

I start to look at the Barca team and think 'Why stay?', yes I get the loyalty given he's been there since age 13? But if he wants to win another CL and another Balon d'Or perhaps he should move teams... the Barca side is extremely bad now, a real chore to watch.

You're talking hundreds of millions of investment and he would have retired at that point.
Where should he go? No chance someone will buy him where he would have a chance of the CL or Ballon d'or

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Where should he go? No chance someone will buy him where he would have a chance of the CL or Ballon d'or
He will most likely go back to Argentina sooner rather then later. He won't take the chance of going to another league at this stage because if it goes bad it will look REALLY REALLY bad on his resume. Its too much to lose on a player that is a virgin to other leagues and other new teams/system and who has stayed in the safe Barca bubble his whole career.

Its either retire at Barca or go to Newell.

MalcolmTucker

Looking at how Barcas recruitment is, and how the board and the managers they seem to drag off the street like Setién with no coaching ability
It's a shame he's only been coached by one elite coach during his whole career - seeing how much of a difference a manager makes to a team, it's bizarre that Barcelona have overlooked it.

Eddy_JukeZ

Messi himself isn't blameless.

He does cause a lot of structural problems with his insistence to vacate the right, offer no movement off the ball and refuse to engage in defensive phases.

The next manager does have a pickle on his hands regarding Messi.

Yes, he's been brilliant, but he can't keep doing this dual midfield-forward thing.

He needs to stay on the right and hold his position IMO.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
He may not win anything this season, which is a pity. But still, congratulations on getting his 700th career goal! Its an amazing feat.