Lionel Messi

padr81

Supports
Man City
He's definitely off the boil but still their best player by a mile. I don't know if its bad form, start of a decline or if his head just isn't in it given the shit show at the club but he's been poor (by his standards in the run in.)

El Zoido

Don’t know that he’d want to play in England. I know the “rainy Wednesday night at Stoke” thing has been meme’d to death, but he’d get the shit kicked out of him in a lot of games here and he knows it. I don’t think he’d fancy it honestly.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Don’t know that he’d want to play in England. I know the “rainy Wednesday night at Stoke” thing has been meme’d to death, but he’d get the shit kicked out of him in a lot of games here and he knows it. I don’t think he’d fancy it honestly.
He gets the shit kicked out of him in a lot of games in La Liga, has been getting the shit kicked out of him by teams from Sevilla to Bilbao

RashyForPM

I love Messi and in his prime, which I truly hope he isn’t leaving now despite the evident signs (still wonderful though, look at the free-kick), he is the GOAT. However, his attitude last night was unacceptable. Back the club and your manager, give the fans a glimmer of hope. Don’t say you’ll lose to Napoli.

Maybe he’ll leave Barcelona. I’m starting to think that he’s looking for any possible escape avenues. I would obviously take him here as he and Lewandowski are far and away the best players in the world now. But, this is only if he realises that he won’t be owner, chairman, manager and captain here, and that Greenwood will displace him in a few years. He’ll probably have to take a pay cut too, to avoid an Alexis scenario (not comparing them).

Coming here wouldn’t be the best move for him though. He would only be the best player in the league for two years due to the rough and tumble of English football. Maybe Juventus, where he will be able to play for longer in a slower league and hopefully extend his prime, while helping the other GOAT do likewise.

InterFan1998

Supports
Internazionale
Would like to see him go somewhere else. I also think he's a problem as well, as he's basically playing like a midfielder for Barcelona. He doesn't make any runs and never chases the ball down when he loses it.

Obviously, his individual level is still insane hence why he is able to get 20+ goals and 20+ assists. He probably has too much power at Barcelona. I feel he could get back to his level (not fully since I do think he's declining) at another club - would be fun to see.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I’m hoping he goes to Juventus. Give us least a year of Cristiano and Messi on the same team

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
As wonderful as he is, I think the time has come for all parties. They simply can’t afford that wage and he has become part of the problem he is complaining about.

They obviously overpay for other players wages, but Messi alone could pay 4-5 quality players that would give the side better balance and a stronger squad. He is the best ever, don’t get me wrong, but it’s time. It’s hurting him and it’s hurting the club.

Im not sure if Messi can do what Ronaldo did, because he isn’t as athletically gifted. I think he is a better footballer, but Ronaldo, physically, is a freak of nature. I don’t see him being able to do it consistently at 35, but no matter where he goes, he has nothing to prove. But Barcelona, the club, need to move on and have the courage to come up with a new plan without Messi.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
I believe people judge Messi and Cristiano way too much based on the state of their teams. This guy contributed to 43 goals in the league alone. And most of those weren't easy scorers but his trademark plays. He's also leading stats like successful dribbles, key passes, chances created etc. by at times ridiculous margins. In contrast to other players putting up those numbers, he also allows other strikers to shine besides him. Lewandowski and Cristiano exemplarily make it very hard for a second player to hit these numbers since they score in areas typically for number 9s. But Messi leaves those areas to other players leading to Suarez' output actually profiting from him instead of taking a hit.

Based on those things you can basically rule out that he's an "on pitch problem". The question is if he's one off the pitch. He's consuming huge parts of the budget with his ridiculously high payments so that's a valid argument. But then again that didn't prevent Barca from signing Dembele, Coutinho and Griezmann for 100+m fees and paying them ridiculous salaries in their own right. They have enough budget to build an absolutely world class team around him, they just invested in the wrong assets. And on top of all that they employ mediocre coaches and offer them salaries that catapult guys like Valverde (19m) and Setien (11m) in the top 10 of best paid managers in the world. Valverde earned more than Klopp and just 1m less than Guardiola - let that sink in. So you can't really argue that you could sign four top players and a top manager for his wages since they did do that anyway. I mean, the ones they could buy instead of him aren't better or more expensive than the players they already signed. Again, they just invested terribly.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
I heard one the reasons that Messi wanted leave is the constant narrative that he picks the players, transfers, the board and the manager. At least i read in barca related website. He's tired of being seen as the dictator of barcelona.

Would like to see him go somewhere else. I also think he's a problem as well, as he's basically playing like a midfielder for Barcelona. He doesn't make any runs and never chases the ball down when he loses it.

Obviously, his individual level is still insane hence why he is able to get 20+ goals and 20+ assists. He probably has too much power at Barcelona. I feel he could get back to his level (not fully since I do think he's declining) at another club - would be fun to see.
I dont see him going anywhere. Barcelona are/were the perfect team for him, why risk his legacy? Especially now hes no longer in his prime.

MalcolmTucker

I think he should move. Barcelona have been dull as dishwater for a couple of years and every one just defers to him on the pitch. If he joined another team he'd obviously still be the main man but not to the extent he is at Barcelona.

Come to United for a couple of seasons then Greenwood can take over when he's 20.

WhoAreYou?

Supports
Barcelona
Barcelona dont deserve him at this moment. Let him go to Leeds United and play the creative playmaker role with no defensive duties. Just spray balls at the front 3 and fullbacks all game long. Love to see him under Bielsa.

Bole Top

yesterday he won the record seventh pichichi, which is his fourth consecutive. he also had the most assists this season again, by far (21 - new La Liga record, Oyarzabal had 11), which means he's been topping the assists table third year in row. of only four hat-tricks scored in La Liga this season, he scored three of them just like in previous season, which means it's also a third consecutive season in which he scored the most hat-tricks. he'll be 34 soon, so it will be interesting to see which player is going to take over. If Madrid actually sign Mbappe, I'd bet on him.

Last edited:

WhoAreYou?

Supports
Barcelona
Ronaldo was a top player for us so only logical that there is more interest and focus on what he does.
Isnt the Ronaldo topic dominated by 3/4 guys who are totally obsessed by him? Every chance they get they will tell the world he is the GOAT and Messi is mehhhhh.......

freeurmind

weak willed
Isnt the Ronaldo topic dominated by 3/4 guys who are totally obsessed by him? Every chance they get they will tell the world he is the GOAT and Messi is mehhhhh.......
That's a bit harsh but probably a bit accurate as well.

Pep's Suit

yesterday he won the record seventh pichichi, which is his fourth consecutive. he also had the most assists this season again, by far (21 - new La Liga record, Oyarzabal had 11), which means he's been topping the assists table third year in row. of only four hat-tricks scored in La Liga this season, he scored three of them just like in previous season, which means it's also a third consecutive season in which he scored the most hat-tricks. he'll be 34 soon, so it will be interesting to see which player is going to take over. If Madrid actually sign Mbappe, I'd bet on him.
Mbappe and Neymar moving to La Liga won't happen until their contracts expire, no? So another two seasons of Messi's total dominance.

van der star

newprawn warrior
Scout
They celebrate Ronaldo, sure, but I haven't seen them bringing up Messi in Ronaldo's thread, it's usually the Messi brigade that does that. Nothing wrong with celebrating both of them, as long as it's not the usual antagonizing nonsense.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Mbappe and Neymar moving to La Liga won't happen until their contracts expire, no? So another two seasons of Messi's total dominance.
There are rumours that there was a gentlemen's agreement between Neymar and PSG before or during this season if I'm not mistaken. Neymar promises to focus on the club and give everything to win the CL and PSG will allow him to leave a year early or something along those lines. So Neymar to La Liga could happen again.

Then there's also Hazard at Madrid who was injured throughout most of the season. If he finds his Chelsea form, he's not that much worse than Neymar and IMO better than Mbappe currently is at this stage of his career.

Gehrman

It's kind of crazy that Messi can have a poor season by his standards and still be La Liga topscorer and hit a record of assists.

Pep's Suit

There are rumours that there was a gentlemen's agreement between Neymar and PSG before or during this season if I'm not mistaken. Neymar promises to focus on the club and give everything to win the CL and PSG will allow him to leave a year early or something along those lines. So Neymar to La Liga could happen again.

Then there's also Hazard at Madrid who was injured throughout most of the season. If he finds his Chelsea form, he's not that much worse than Neymar and IMO better than Mbappe currently is at this stage of his career.
Ohh, didn't know this. Thanks.

Honestly I'm not convinced by Hazard or his determination. Also he probably should have moved to La Liga two years earlier.

Bole Top

It's weird the Ronaldo thread gets bumped every time he scores but Messi's doesn't happen so often
higher standards. I mean, he scored 91 goal in calendar year and ended in fecking Guinness World Records book, so there's very little point in bumping this thead every time he scores. for example, he can score 2 or 3 goals vs Napoli, but this thread most likely won't be touched unless all the goals were from free kicks. numbers alone aren't worth bumping this thread anymore.

Gehrman

It's weird the Ronaldo thread gets bumped every time he scores but Messi's doesn't happen so often
I think it's because Ronaldo himself and his fans have the narrative that it's his destiny to be the GOAT, so everytime he scores a goal they have to keep driving this narrative, but 90% of the greatest contemporary managers and players will say that Messi is the greatest of modern football including Ronaldo's ex managers and team mates. Messi himself also seems less obsessed about it and has taken on the creative burden of becoming the teams main playmaker and managed to break Xavi's assist record in a single season in this season where he has been poorer by his own standards.

VBI

Supports
Celtic, Barca
The same boring ass no.1 ranked league in Europe, to be specific. Also, it's 2D thinking to be talking purely about goals scored and nothing else. Like assists or key passes or general performance don't matter to some people. :confused:

RooneyLegend

He's been poor in the run in, nothing to bloviate about. It was also the case before the lockdown.

Abe144

Supports
CD Guadalajara
People keep saying he fell off and yet he broke the single season assists record in La Liga playing for a shitty injury ridden team

Gehrman

People keep saying he fell off and yet he broke the single season assists record in La Liga playing for a shitty injury ridden team
And still got 25 goals in 33 matches which makes him La Liga topscorer. And created most chances, completed most dribbles and had most key pass.

Last edited:

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
If people wouldn't be bored of him, there wouldn't even be a debate who's been the best player. There is nobody capable of the plays he's pulling off on a regular basis and his statistics, despite taking a hit this season, are still as impressive as those of Lewandowski who's been far and away the best pure goal scorer this season. Only difference is that Lewandowski is a decent dribbler and decent overall creator while Messi tops every European chart in those metrics. Honestly, if this was his first season and people wasn't used to this kind of stuff, you'd be ridiculed for suggesting anyonehas been better. The only other players who are similarly influential and at the same time maintain great scoring stats are Neymar and Mbappe.

Bole Top

Scoring against the same teams, in the same boring ass league for over 10 years, is really boring. And how many important goals did he even score after the Corona virus break, in the rundown for the league title.
every game was important one since they've actually had rivals capable of winning every possible game. this isn't Italy where the competition is so bad that one week it's Inter behind you, then it's Lazio, after that it's Atalanta etc. ;)

van der star

newprawn warrior
Scout
every game was important one since they've actually had rivals capable of winning every possible game. this isn't Italy where the competition is so bad that one week it's Inter behind you, then it's Lazio, after that it's Atalanta etc. ;)
Competition for 2nd is bad now?

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I am honestly not sure we are a better team than Atalanta