Lionel Messi

Suedesi

He gets what, 80MM Euros (gross) a year at Barca? Doubt many clubs would or could match that. On top of any fee that Barca would ask.

Assuming Barca demand no transfer fee and he's willing to leave, who could afford to pay $100MM a year for a couple of years?

Member 101269

He gets what, 80MM Euros (gross) a year at Barca? Doubt many clubs would or could match that. On top of any fee that Barca would ask.

Assuming Barca demand no transfer fee and he's willing to leave, who could afford to pay $100MM a year for a couple of years?
Adidas plus loads of other sponsors.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
He would play for Adidas? Ok...
Kit suppliers sometimes take an active role in transfers, helping one of their partners to make sure a marquee player starts wearing their jersey. Adidas especially have a history with this and prying Messi away from Nike could be a pretty big prize, don't you think?

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Kit suppliers sometimes take an active role in transfers, helping one of their partners to make sure a marquee player starts wearing their jersey. Adidas especially have a history with this and prying Messi away from Nike could be a pretty big prize, don't you think?
Also, assuming Messi would go to United, that would cause so, so much media attention around the world. Shirt sales would go through the roof (and Adidas will profit from that the most) and it drags much more attention to the brand so that Adidas can pay more in sponsoring deals. So it's in their self interest to make it happen. Sort of how companies fund public infrastructure if it's profitable for them.

VanKenny

You’ve created a narrative to somehow make it seem like Messi was the most important player in Barca’s 2006 CL triumph
I never said he was the most important player on the 2005/2006 CL run, thats just typical Ronaldo fans mental gymnastics you are using. You starting your sentence with "you have created a narrative" only to start saying lies and fallacies immediately after it is really funny by the way.

I was simply stating that Messi was a key player of the 2005/2006 squad, he featured in most of the group stage games, and then he went to be the MOTM against Chelsea on the round of 16, a 18 year old being the best player on the pitch in a team that also had prime Ronaldinho and prime Eto'o says it all really. Him getting injured and not playing the rest of the games doesnt mean he didnt win the CL with Barcelona.

To say that Messi only has 3 CLs and not 4CLs just to make it seem like CR7 has 2 more, its just ridiculous even for you guys. Messi was starting most of the games that season with Barcelona and was a key player vs Chelsea, so he does in fact has 4 CL's won no matter how many times you guys state he doesnt

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
Do you have any examples of this?

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
I never said he was the most important player on the 2005/2006 CL run, thats just typical Ronaldo fans mental gymnastics you are using. You starting your sentence with "you have created a narrative" only to start saying lies and fallacies immediately after it is really funny by the way.

I was simply stating that Messi was a key player of the 2005/2006 squad, he featured in most of the group stage games, and then he went to be the MOTM against Chelsea on the round of 16, a 18 year old being the best player on the pitch in a team that also had prime Ronaldinho and prime Eto'o says it all really. Him getting injured and not playing the rest of the games doesnt mean he didnt win the CL with Barcelona.

To say that Messi only has 3 CLs and not 4CLs just to make it seem like CR7 has 2 more, its just ridiculous even for you guys. Messi was starting most of the games that season with Barcelona and was a key player vs Chelsea, so he does in fact has 4 CL's won no matter how many times you guys state he doesnt
Neh he doesn’t.....

Suedesi

Fair enough - I made some big assumptions such as Barca would demand no transfer fee (Messi's clause is reportedly 600m+) and that there would be no agent fees, signing bonuses etc. A deal this complicated it's pointless to make assumptions from the outside...

Member 101269

Fair enough - I made some big assumptions such as Barca would demand no transfer fee (Messi's clause is reportedly 600m+) and that there would be no agent fees, signing bonuses etc. A deal this complicated it's pointless to make assumptions from the outside...
Some big assumptions; what is the point/value in/of a defensive clause when an asset doesn't want to work. Yes complicated, yes unlikely. There is a hypothesis.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Do you have any examples of this?
Puma reportedly supplement Reus' Wages at Dortmund.
There were some reports a while back about how Adidas were trying to lure Sterling to Madrid, like they supposedly did with Beckham.
When Ballack left Bayern his agent basically confirmed that he only going to an Adidas club. When he was about to leave Leverkusen for a second time there were reports of Adidas trying to engineer a move to the MLS.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
All of this noise and ink for probably nothing, I don't think he will leave. It's too complicated of a move, and I'm not sure how much he would be willing to compromise on certain aspects of his contract to make said move possible. He would lose a substantial amount of money to even make it feasible, and it will cripple the team he joins from making any more moves to adapt the team better to his presence. I just can't see it happening, but it would be very interesting if I turn out to be wrong.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Messi playing alongside talented,pacy individuals like Rashford,Greenwood and Martial is a pretty tasty dream.
Make it happen,Ed.

VanKenny

Call me crazy but I really would want to see him and Ronaldo play in the same team, if only for one or two seasons and in the twilight of their careers.
Whoa! Calm down dude, be careful saying things as crazy as that on the internet. But hey, since we are being honest and confessing crazy thoughts:

I like pepperoni on my pizza.

NoLogo

Whoa! Calm down dude, be careful saying things as crazy as that on the internet. But hey, since we are being honest and confessing crazy thoughts:

I like pepperoni on my pizza.
Well judging by the way the Ronnie and Messi fanboys have been at each others throat I could imagine way too many people would hate those two in one team. Maybe I'm wrong, and they would be okay with it and still fight about who did more for the team to win.

Pep's Suit

He'll sign two year extension, talk about the project and never win CL again.

VanKenny

Well judging by the way the Ronnie and Messi fanboys have been at each others throat I could imagine way too many people would hate those two in one team. Maybe I'm wrong, and they would be okay with it and still fight about who did more for the team to win.
Sorry if i came off as a dick. I just dont think theres anybody that wouldnt want that to happen, seeing those two playing together and complimenting each other's strenghts to perfection would be one of the best things to be witnessed in the history of football.

I even think that they would be very friendly to each other on the pitch, Messi giving penalties to him, CR7 refusing like a gentleman, etc. Its fantasy but still nice to think about...

Hell i kind of want to start a career mode on FIFA just to try it haha

quackattack

Messis career until now: Greatest of all times.
Prediction if he would join United: Di Maria v2.

::sonny::

China, Arabia, Psg, City

Eddy_JukeZ

Messis career until now: Greatest of all times.
Prediction if he would join United: Di Maria v2.
Wouldn't play out the same at all.

Real pushed Di Maria out and then PSG couldn't afford him that summer.

If Messi was to join us, he's deliberately leaving Barcelona and willing to come here.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Wouldn't play out the same at all.

Real pushed Di Maria out and then PSG couldn't afford him that summer.

If Messi was to join us, he's deliberately leaving Barcelona and willing to come here.
Messi on the RW would be glorious for you guys

Myrecks

Such in depth analysis there! With such conclusive data, I guess the discussion is over. Although... Messi has only 15 goals and 5 assists less, has a better ratio in both and there's a very good chance he ends up ahead on both stats when all is said and done. Will you change your opinion in the very possible scenario that happens or will those criteria become irrelevant then?
I know the question wasn’t for me but I want to chime in. If Messi manages to win 3 more champions leagues as the main man, and passes Ronaldo in goals and assists, which is probable due to being younger, I would totally accept that he is the best in the champions league and I’m not sure anyone could go against it.
They lost 1-0 against Lyon away. Ronaldo did nothing in that game. It's a team game so I'm not trying to bash Ronaldo but I'm trying to highlight the ridiculous logic here by some of Ronaldo's fans.

Messi scores 2 against Liverpool at home and was Barca's best player at Anfield setting up 3 one-on-one chances at Anfield for Suarez, Coutinho and Alba: He bottled it, it's his fault etc. etc.

Ronaldo scores 2 goals against Lyon at home, but doesn't score any goals away and did nothing which cost Juve the tie: HE DID HIS JOB, it's the team's fault.
I can see where you are coming from. Maybe people just expect Messi to win the game regardless. this might be the wrong mindset especially in a team game and Messi being a playmaker as well as a goalscorer. As oppose to Ronaldo being “just” a goal scorer so if he scores what else can you ask of him. This is an unfair way of looking at it but I have had people say this before many times. Ultimately people expect Messi to overcome more than Ronaldo because of the influence he can have on a game.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Wasn't Nike behind Ronaldo's moves to Barca, Inter, and Real?

Seem to recall they had a big say in his transfers, along with the 98 WC Final match. Course that could be conspiracy drivel.
Nope, only Brazil. And yeah, Nike apparently got to decide their friendlies and Ronaldo had to play those according to their contract with the brazilian FA

After the world cup it was a big scandal in Brazil

MrEleson

That Barca side would have still won the CL without him - same couldn't be said for the United & Real Madrid sides that won the CL. Messi scored 1 goal that entire tournament. Ofcourse, he has 4 but he wasn't critical to 1 of those 4 in the same way Ronaldo was critical to 5/5 of his triumphs.
So no euro for Ronaldo then, injured in the final and his team didn’t need him for that match
Except Ronaldo scored or assisted 67% of his team's goals that tournament and won the silver boot. I don't think Messi 2006 is comparable at all.

Pretzels81

Not Salty…
The revolting Middle Orient oil clubs are circling around him already, Cited and QPSG. I thought he was supposed to leave Barcelona in 2021 and retire either in Argentina or in Miami (he bought a luxury flat there months ago).

If he moves to one of those oil money plastic clubs because he's obsessed with winning another UCL, then he'll be seen as a traitor by most Barcelona (and football) fans. How much are they going to pay for a 33-34 yo ex-GOAT, anyway? 150 + variables?

VBI

Supports
Celtic, Barca
Messi played less in 2006 because he got a massive injury that took him out for nearly 3 months, and he had only just came back into fitness when the CL final came around, but Rijkaard didn't want to risk him because he knew he was going to the World Cup in the summer. That's hardly his fault. :lol:

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Messi has won 4 Cl's. You can't discount the won they won in 2006 because he got injured in the 2nd game in the last 16 knockout round. No matter how you put it Michael Owen has 1 Premiere league medal with us despite being a bit part player while Gerrard was 0 Pl league medals.

Last edited:

Zlaatan

Parody Account
The revolting Middle Orient oil clubs are circling around him already, Cited and QPSG. I thought he was supposed to leave Barcelona in 2021 and retire either in Argentina or in Miami (he bought a luxury flat there months ago).

If he moves to one of those oil money plastic clubs because he's obsessed with winning another UCL, then he'll be seen as a traitor by most Barcelona (and football) fans. How much are they going to pay for a 33-34 yo ex-GOAT, anyway? 150 + variables?
Going to Real would make Messi a traitor for Barca fans but I don't get why they would see him as a traitor if he left for a club outside of Spain, I mean what difference would it make for them if he went to PSG or Bayern to win a CL? As for fooball fans in general, do they see Mbappe, Neymar, Silva, De Bruyne etc as traitors? I sure don't.

As a comparison I didn't see Ronaldo as a traitor when he left us for Real, and none of that would change had he left us for a Quatar sponsored PSG. How the club of your ex-player handles their finances isn't something I take into consideration when I look at that players legacy, but maybe that's just me.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Nope, only Brazil. And yeah, Nike apparently got to decide their friendlies and Ronaldo had to play those according to their contract with the brazilian FA

After the world cup it was a big scandal in Brazil
Makes sense. Stumbled onto this bit... Ronaldo was steered to Inter by his handlers seeking a big payout, supposedly.

https://www.goal.com/en-us/news/why...ter-in-world-record/kr3cbi4body1125l8g5ku1ev8
Why Ronaldo quit Barcelona for Inter in world-record transfer

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
That's the story according to Barcelona

According to Ronaldo, they agreed to a new contract, but when they went to sign it was lower than what was agreed. At that point his agents got in contact with Moratti

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

VanKenny

That Barca side would have still won the CL without him - same couldn't be said for the United & Real Madrid sides that won the CL. Messi scored 1 goal that entire tournament. Ofcourse, he has 4 but he wasn't critical to 1 of those 4 in the same way Ronaldo was critical to 5/5 of his triumphs.
You cant say things like that and expect to be taken seriously. You cant just randomly take away trophies and medals from players with the argument that "well they probably would have won without him" hahaha.

First of all, you dont know that, maybe without Messi Barcelona get beaten by Chelsea (he was the MOTM), but im not even going to go down that rabbit hole arguing about it.