Lionel Messi

Sgt.Major

Try Homicide: Life on the Street. From the same creator, the mighty David Simon, but better than The Wire, in my opinion.

Prometheus

Supports
Chelsea
The original Ronaldo, as in the Brazilian one.
No competition there. In fact, he was better than Messi comparatively at every age prior to his injury (suffered a month after he turned 23). I believe there wouldn't any debates about the GOAT if that injury didn't happen. But I digress.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
Messi is so good people think his thread is the entertainment forum.
:lol: I watched this earlier. Keep in mind this is only like the first 6 weeks of the season (uploaded early October)...

:drool:

Here's the follow-up. Going to watch it now!

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
:lol: I watched this earlier. Keep in mind this is only like the first 6 weeks of the season (uploaded early October)...

:drool:

Here's the follow-up. Going to watch it now!

That first video has more than some amazing players have for a "Season highlights".

Amazing.

Prometheus

Supports
Chelsea
All I want to know is how he sees where everyone is at any given time when he's dribbling fast through a crowd? I mean sometimes he seems to be looking at the ball only and still plays the best possible pass into his teammate's preferred foot. I was watching a sports science video on Steph Curry's shooting where they talked about how his wrist flicks about 3000° p/s and releases 3-pointers at four-tenth of a second. I'd love to see something like that on Messi. He must process information at a ridiculously fast rate!

Deleted member 101472

No competition there. In fact, he was better than Messi comparatively at every age prior to his injury (suffered a month after he turned 23). I believe there wouldn't any debates about the GOAT if that injury didn't happen. But I digress.
The only ages that applies to is 18,19 and 20. 21-23 year old Messi was better than R9

Sir Scott McToMinay

At no point in his career was Brazilian Ronaldo better than Messi was at 23.
Messi at 23 was superior to Ronaldo at literally everything other than pure athleticism, which a lot of it is down to genetics.
Sometimes it’s hard to disinguish between personal preference and actual reality, which is natural in a way, but in reality there’s absolutely no room for comparison other than some romantic nostalgia trip, and again personal preference on who you perhaps enjoyed watching more.

Prometheus

Supports
Chelsea
The only ages that applies to is 18, 19 and 20. 21-23 year old Messi was better than R9
Messi was 21 in 08/09 and 22 in 09/10. 22 year old Messi scored 47 in 53 in 09/10, equalling the record set for the club by 20 year old Ronaldo (47 in 49).

Prometheus

Supports
Chelsea
At no point in his career was Brazilian Ronaldo better than Messi was at 23.
Messi at 23 was superior to Ronaldo at literally everything other than pure athleticism, which a lot of it is down to genetics.
Sometimes it’s hard to disinguish between personal preference and actual reality, which is natural in a way, but in reality there’s absolutely no room for comparison other than some romantic nostalgia trip, and again personal preference on who you perhaps enjoyed watching more.
As I said Ronaldo got injured a month after turning 23. But 19, 20, 21, 22 I'm convinced Ronaldo was better. Besides, I'm not sure how you've gained this unerring objective perspective on reality when you say that 'it's hard to distinguish personal preference and actual reality' and follow it up with 'but in reality there’s absolutely no room for comparison...'

Oldham

For me the best player I've seen.
Seen so many outstanding like Maradona Platini Ronaldox2 Xavi Zidane etc...
And Messi is by far the best of them.
Not seen Pele Beckenbauer Cruyff Esubio Best ...
I can't believe anyone of them being better.
Messi is the best IMHO

Deleted member 101472

Messi was 21 in 08/09 and 22 in 09/10. 22 year old Messi scored 47 in 53 in 09/10, equalling the record set for the club by 20 year old Ronaldo (47 in 49).
Records are great but it Messi was finishing like Ronaldo whilst running games for fun from right wing or in a false 9. Ronaldo was an out and out number 9

Sir Scott McToMinay

As I said Ronaldo got injured a month after turning 23. But 19, 20, 21, 22 I'm convinced Ronaldo was better. Besides, I'm not sure how you've gained this unerring objective perspective on reality when you say that 'it's hard to distinguish personal preference and actual reality' and follow it up with 'but in reality there’s absolutely no room for comparison...'
One of the greatest dribblers/goal scorers/playmakers of all time, plus playing in the same team with Xavi and you couldn’t tell who was the better passer.
VS
One of the greatest goal scorers/athletes/dribblers of all time.

It really isn’t more complicated than that.

wub1234

Supports
Don't support a team
I was watching a sports science video on Steph Curry's shooting where they talked about how his wrist flicks about 3000° p/s and releases 3-pointers at four-tenth of a second. I'd love to see something like that on Messi. He must process information at a ridiculously fast rate!
I'm not sure if you've seen this one, but it's pretty interesting:

I think with Messi it isn't just one thing. He must see things earlier than other players. But I think it's also that if other players are dribbling and running with the ball then they have to concentrate on this, whereas Messi is so good on the ball that he almost doesn't need to give it his full attention. He can play with his 'head up' in positions where no-one else possibly can, so he sees more in positions where other players have to give the ball their full attention.

Then he must also have outstanding reaction times. Even if you see things, you still have to react to them, and he not only does this with incredible regularity, but also always seems to make the right decision and deliver exactly the right type of pass virtually every time.

In addition, he then has two other assets in my opinion. Firstly, his technical ability is second to none, so when he needs to be able to make a certain pass, or do something with the ball, he can just do it. Other players might see something, but then they can't do what they need to do to get the ball there, so it never even enters their head to do it. Messi can do anything with the ball, and has done everything possible countless times, so when any opportunity presents itself, it's almost an automatic reaction for him to do what is needed. Other players will take an easier option because they just won't believe that they can pull off what Messi can (and they're correct!).

Secondly, his balance and ability to change direction at pace is second to none, so he's never off-balance, falling over, or in the wrong position to make a pass. Mortal individuals, when running at pace, are prone to fall over, trip up, mis-control the ball, and can't just rapidly switch direction in the way that Messi has countless times. So when it comes to making a pass, he's never unable to make it due to poor body position, he's always balanced and therefore able to manipulate his body and the ball in whatever way is required.

And, finally, I think aside from his supernatural and unrivalled skillset, Messi is undoubtedly a product of his environment. He is a genetic freak, but if he was English he wouldn't have become the player that he is. Growing up playing street-type football in Argentina, and then in the Barcelona academy, has helped mould and rarify the outstanding talent that he already possesses. He was taught to play with awareness of everything around him, and he grew up dribbling and controlling the ball in conditions that are inferior to those he plays in now, so that helped make him what he is.

Messi does seem to have a sixth sense that defies and goes beyond rational explanation, but that's my best effort!

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool

I've seen this before. It's probably the most ridiculously convoluted & pointless over-analysis I've ever seen in my life :D A brilliant goal, though!

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Lionel. I accept that you are know how to attack. You create and score goals and force defenders into making last ditch fouls to stop you. At times, you are unplayable.
But Jose Mourinho is not convinced. He needs to know, if you can defend and play the off-side trap? And how good are you at parking the bus?
Jose told me that Marouane Fellaini knows how to park the bus and can also score last gasp goals. Fellaini is a great player and will go down as a MUFC legend. :p

_00_deathscar

Supports
Liverpool
Lionel. I accept that you are know how to attack. You create and score goals and force defenders into making last ditch fouls to stop you. At times, you are unplayable.
But Jose Mourinho is not convinced. He needs to know, if you can defend and play the off-side trap? And how good are you at parking the bus?
Jose told me that Marouane Fellaini knows how to park the bus and can also score last gasp goals. Fellaini is a great player and will go down as a MUFC legend. :p
Wrong thread maybe?

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
That's just weird.

gajender

I may be mistaken but you seem to be overcompensating for your support for Mourinho , lighten up few on this forum including me made mistake of believing in Mourinho.

E-mal

I’m not an advocate for individual awards in team sports but if you have to give them out, it’s a disgrace that he only has 5 Balon D’ors as he’s been easily the best player on the planet since 2009.

He used to have Xavi and Iniesta, lost them so decided he would just become Xavi Iniesta and himself as one player because he can. How can anyone who watches him week in week out think he’s declining? If anything he’s getting better as he’s adding more and more strings to an already ridiculous bow.

He’s making a total mockery of competitive football. I feel so so sorry for you if you’ve never seen him play live - make sure you do before he’s gone!
:lol:
This made me laugh this morning, so true.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
How can he not be the GOAT? It's going to be difficult for my kids not to think I'm exaggerating when I tell them how good he is.
I never saw all the great players of the oast but I find it impossible to believe they were better than this guy.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Just dawned on me that he and Ronaldo have won something like 9 of the last 13 CL's.

Prometheus

Supports
Chelsea
Records are great but it Messi was finishing like Ronaldo whilst running games for fun from right wing or in a false 9. Ronaldo was an out and out number 9
You make it sound as if I'm talking about Inzaghi. You're either being disingenuous when you say Ronaldo was "out and out" striker or you have only watched him after the injury. You talk about Messi running the game from the wing. Ronaldo would constantly drop deep into midfield and wings, and take on the whole on team with his insane dribbling ability and speed or make passes after drawing midfielders and defenders then get on the end of the moves he's started. Messi was on a team with several players who have redefined their position on arguably the best footballing team ever, and even without taking that context into consideration Ronaldo was better from 19-22.

Prometheus

Supports
Chelsea
One of the greatest dribblers/goal scorers/playmakers of all time, plus playing in the same team with Xavi and you couldn’t tell who was the better passer.
VS
One of the greatest goal scorers/athletes/dribblers of all time.

It really isn’t more complicated than that.
I don't know that means/how it's supposed to be simple, but whatever mate.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
I don't know that means/how it's supposed to be simple, but whatever mate.
Its easy 2 all time great goalscorers.
One is also arguably the best playmaker of his generation too the other is not.

IFC 1905

I saw Messi live. I hope he comes back with the NT so I can watch him again in the flesh.

I witnessed one of his greatest matches with ARgentina during WCQ.

I think with Messi it isn't just one thing. He must see things earlier than other players. But I think it's also that if other players are dribbling and running with the ball then they have to concentrate on this, whereas Messi is so good on the ball that he almost doesn't need to give it his full attention. He can play with his 'head up' in positions where no-one else possibly can, so he sees more in positions where other players have to give the ball their full attention.

Then he must also have outstanding reaction times. Even if you see things, you still have to react to them, and he not only does this with incredible regularity, but also always seems to make the right decision and deliver exactly the right type of pass virtually every time.

In addition, he then has two other assets in my opinion. Firstly, his technical ability is second to none, so when he needs to be able to make a certain pass, or do something with the ball, he can just do it. Other players might see something, but then they can't do what they need to do to get the ball there, so it never even enters their head to do it. Messi can do anything with the ball, and has done everything possible countless times, so when any opportunity presents itself, it's almost an automatic reaction for him to do what is needed. Other players will take an easier option because they just won't believe that they can pull off what Messi can (and they're correct!).

Secondly, his balance and ability to change direction at pace is second to none, so he's never off-balance, falling over, or in the wrong position to make a pass. Mortal individuals, when running at pace, are prone to fall over, trip up, mis-control the ball, and can't just rapidly switch direction in the way that Messi has countless times. So when it comes to making a pass, he's never unable to make it due to poor body position, he's always balanced and therefore able to manipulate his body and the ball in whatever way is required.

And, finally, I think aside from his supernatural and unrivalled skillset, Messi is undoubtedly a product of his environment. He is a genetic freak, but if he was English he wouldn't have become the player that he is. Growing up playing street-type football in Argentina, and then in the Barcelona academy, has helped mould and rarify the outstanding talent that he already possesses. He was taught to play with awareness of everything around him, and he grew up dribbling and controlling the ball in conditions that are inferior to those he plays in now, so that helped make him what he is.

Messi does seem to have a sixth sense that defies and goes beyond rational explanation, but that's my best effort!

Excellent analysis. I'd add to that tha Messi does a pre-scanning of the field all the time. If you concetrate on him while he's not with the ball, you'll see that he's all the time walking with his head moving like a parabolic antenna. That's how he knows where everyone is most of the time.

soap

Directionless weirdo who like booze and ganja
C. Ronaldo is the 2nd best player I've seen, and I think Messi is better by a fairly considerable margin. He's that good.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I think Ronaldo is better because he’s more of a complete player. Messi scores pretty much all of his goals in the box. Ronaldo on the other hand, is dangerous anywhere inside 40 yards of the goal.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Messi scores pretty much all of his goals in the box. Ronaldo on the other hand, is dangerous anywhere inside 40 yards of the goal.
That’s a bit of a myth as @harms shows. Messi plunders a lot of goals from around 15-22 yards. But I agree with you that any further than around 25 yards out Ronaldo carries more of a threat, at least in open play.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I think Ronaldo is better because he’s more of a complete player. Messi scores pretty much all of his goals in the box. Ronaldo on the other hand, is dangerous anywhere inside 40 yards of the goal. He also can head the ball and is just a stronger player. He also gets fouled more viciously by opposition (imo).
That is such a myth lolz

clarkydaz

I think Ronaldo is better because he’s more of a complete player. Messi scores pretty much all of his goals in the box. Ronaldo on the other hand, is dangerous anywhere inside 40 yards of the goal. He also can head the ball and is just a stronger player. He also gets fouled more viciously by opposition (imo).
Yet you are only talking about goalscoring. Messi now controls and dictates all over the pitch aswell. His build up, vision, passing, awareness are lightyears ahead of ronaldo