Lionel Messi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Castia

If he's left Barca because they are now in a rebuilding stage, there's no chance he will be coming to us.

He will go to the bald bloke who plays with the cheats codes next door.
Don’t think city can afford his wages. Well not officially anyway.

RoyH1

Surely Bartomeu has to resign after this? He's not seriously going to keep Messi in Barcelona against his will?

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
If there's any chance that he can come to the PL I think all clubs should band together and buy him for someone, just so we can see Leo over here. Even if a shitty club like Leeds goes out of business cause of having to commit to the cause, get it done. Sanction this deal Premier League fathers.

Schneckerl

I just hope he doesn't retire or goes to a retirement league. Still got it and worth watching.

SATA

But seriously what happened between Messi and Barca for him to do such a thing? This is quite bizarre. Any summary for it?

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Imagine taking the greatest ever player to court because he fancies a change. After bringing you glory after glory. Weird and small-time move.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Is this an incredibly daring tactic to negotiate for even higher wages?

dev1l

Don’t think city can afford his wages. Well not officially anyway.
At Barca Messi had around 1 million euro a week.
Imagine if he goes to City and accept 300K...... (officially)....

:)

RoyH1

As long as he doesn't choose PSG.. but seriously, who the hell can pay him?
PSG and City. But don't rule out an Italian club doings something crazy if he arrives on a free transfer.

Unless he is willing to go down in wages in order to win silverware something else.

Classical Mechanic

Surely he'd prefer to play for Pep over us no ? Can't seem to understand the excitement.
Apparently he and Pep have no relationship personally and no rapport. Not saying that he won’t go to City but there’s only respect between them and no love.

I am curious. How United fans stand about this? Our fan base is obssessed with long term options and think that players over 30 are finished. Plus he would cost a fortune. But on other hand, this is best player of all time so...
Mods, just for fun, maybe poll?
It’s a massive conundrum, he’s getting on and he does looked to have declined physically a bit. Still incredible but he earns £1.6m a week! Imagine if you sign him and he does an ACL.

Rolaholic

The Associated Press have reportedly received documents from Barcelona officially confirming his request to leave, it's real lads

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Or is he doing all this because he wants the president to resign? Afterwards he would just be staying ...

King Eric 7

I am curious. How United fans stand about this? Our fan base is obssessed with long term options and think that players over 30 are finished. Plus he would cost a fortune. But on other hand, this is best player of all time so...
Mods, just for fun, maybe poll?
I think it's really going to depend on the total cost to sign him. Contrary to popular belief, I don't think he'd win us the league on his own - maybe a cup competition. I'd take him, but not at any price and I'm not sure if his contract demands would be reasonable enough for us. In a binary yes / no poll, I'd have to vote no, but if the figures made sense for the club (which I doubt) I'd love to see him play at OT.

Robertd0803

Didnt his clause to leave for free expire earlier in the summer?

IF he does actually leave theres only one club I can see him going to although I wouldnt put it past us to make some sort of insane attempt to get him to sign.

But I reckon this is just a power play to get rid of the president.

vodrake

I honestly never though I'd see the day of Messi playing for another club. Still kind of expecting this to end with him on a bumper new €2M p/w contract :lol:

sport2793

I'm sure Messi's first choice would be to go to City and he will end up there if he leaves but surprisingly, the Glazers have already pulled off a coup of this magnitude this year (Tom Brady).

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
PSG or City

Both will be easy transition for him.

1 to a weak league and the other to city to be with pep for an easier transition.

2020 has been absurd!! As a football fan I am super excited!

NJM78

Lionel Messi leaving Barca is so crazy but to think of him joining our sub standard mediocre team sounds like the most far fetched bollocks I have ever heard.

No doubt our PR will spin some interest though to deflect from the negative transfer and Maguire news at the moment.

Zen86

I'm sure Messi's first choice would be to go to City and he will end up there if he leaves but surprisingly, the Glazers have already pulled off a coup of this magnitude this year (Tom Brady).
I’m sure the City legal team were all over him before this even kicked off.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Didnt his clause to leave for free expire earlier in the summer?

IF he does actually leave theres only one club I can see him going to although I wouldnt put it past us to make some sort of insane attempt to get him to sign.

But I reckon this is just a power play to get rid of the president.
I assume he'll argue that clause was meant to be at the end of the season, and because of Covid he wasn't able to exercise it, so they should still honour it.

KristianMackle

I dont think he'll ever come to us but the clubs that will line up to sign him will be a mile long.

RoyH1

Lionel Messi leaving Barca is so crazy but to think of him joining our sub standard mediocre team sounds like the most far fetched bollocks I have ever heard.

No doubt our PR will spin some interest though to deflect from the negative transfer and Maguire news at the moment.
Apparently they're already on it. Sport in Barcelona reporting that we've reached out to his entourage in order to hear what his intentions are.

Status
Not open for further replies.