Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

SirSean

Moves the ball quickly but does not have blistering pace like Baily or Varane if he plays with Malacia whose 5’6 we will get targeted on the left for third man diagonal runs and concede more than 58 pl goals like last year, anyone see Malacia try to mark Lewis Dunk, Shaw height will get him picked most games especially alongside Martinez, We might progress to a 343 short term with this team; D De Gea, Varane, Maguire, Martinez, Dalot, Ericsen, Fred, Shaw, Sancho, Martial, Rashford

Subs ; Heaton, Malacia, Lindelof, Baily, , Bruno, Garner, Garnaucho, DVB, Ronaldo
Right now we need results and not conceding 2 goals per game.
How is Rashford in there?!

Bobski

Back 3 literally goes against a lot of ETH theory - He wants to sit high, get bodies forward and win the ball back, unless the middle CB played like a DM/ Libero but I think he would need to be quicker than Martinez
That has worked for Lisandro when in the dominant team playing in a weak league against teams who can' t test you. Even yesterday in a tough game for him you could see Lisandro's qualities in that type of set up, super aggressive in winning the ball back and with quick and high quality use of the ball he enables you to pin teams back and create waves of pressure. I really like that aspect of his game but quite a lot of it is predicated on isolating the CF from his support and suffocating the passing options which started to happen towards the end of the game with Brighton becoming more conservative.

Utd are a long way from being the type of team who can do those things consistently so Martinez is going to be more exposed defensively than he is used to and some of his weaknesses may show up.

I see him quickly becoming a bit of a cult hero with his style on the ball and aggression, the crowd will take to him and he could lift the team in bad periods.

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
Toney is going to destroy him on Saturday.
Yeah Im pretty surprised how many are putting Martinez at CB in their 11 for this game.

Toney is one of the most Aerially dominant CFs in the league.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
This is where I’m at too. He didn’t play that badly yesterday, and in fact showed some lovely touches and passes on the ball. But his weaknesses were also very clear to see early on. Ultimately he (and Maguire tbf) couldn’t deal with the pace, movement & physicality of a 31 year old Danny Welbeck. They were run ragged all day. Imagine what players like Tony, Halland, Kane, Nunez etc are going to do to them. I know it’s become a meme at this point, but he really does look like he has the attributes to be a far more effective PL midfielder then defender.

I do worry that he’s going to end up being the millstone around ETH’s neck in the way that Fellaini was to Moyes and Maguire was to Ole. I just don’t think a player of his stature and build can be a successful PL centre back.
If Martinez turns out to be the most expensive player we got this summer, it certainly will put both him and especially ETH under a huge pressure. I think the bar will be much higher than if that was a regular transfer after getting a decent forward and midfielder, both of which we need more than CB.

Yes because this will be the first time Martinez will be facing a striker who is taller than him and is also dominant in the air.
It will definitely be very interesting to see how this post ages. I have serious concerns not even about Martinez but more about this lumping the ball towards him will be very simple and effective tactic to create chaos in our box.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Yes because this will be the first time Martinez will be facing a striker who is taller than him and is also dominant in the air.
I’m not getting into the back and forth of the ‘because’ - it will just happen sadly.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
If Martinez turns out to be the most expensive player we got this summer, it certainly will put both him and especially ETH under a huge pressure. I think the bar will be much higher than if that was a regular transfer after getting a decent forward and midfielder, both of which we need more than CB.

It will definitely be very interesting to see how this post ages. I have serious concerns not even about Martinez but more about this lumping the ball towards him will be very simple and effective tactic to create chaos in our box.
Not just creating chaos in the box, it's an easy get out from the press (lumping it towards him) which many teams will use like Brighton did to good effect.

Chief123

Wikipedia has Cannavaro at 1 cm taller than Martinez, so that's not really going to make a difference.

I do agree, though, and I obviously don't expect him to be anywhere near as good as Cannavaro. We are most likely going to see instances of his lack of height and physicality becoming a problem in the PL, like we have seen with Lindelof on occasion. I was just pointing out, that you can actually be a CB of the highest caliber at that height.
We really need to not use this cannavaro as an example. Martinez is nowhere near cannavaro level and never will be. Not many defenders in the world will.

We don’t compare Amad with Messi just because of their height similarities. Or Maguire and Rio Ferdinand.

I liked a lot of what I saw of Martinez but there’s no doubt his build will get tested and challenged in this league.

Mike Smalling

We really need to not use this cannavaro as an example. Martinez is nowhere near cannavaro level and never will be. Not many defenders in the world will.

We don’t compare Amad with Messi just because of their height similarities. Or Maguire and Rio Ferdinand.

I liked a lot of what I saw of Martinez but there’s no doubt his build will get tested and challenged in this league.
You are basically writing exactly the same as me.

Again, in the the original post I was simply pointing out, that it is not impossible to be a world class CB at that height. That doesn't mean that anyone actually believes that Martinez can reach that level.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I feel like I can’t really test our CB’s until they get a proper GK and CDM playing alongside them.

Seems unfair to do that. A GK that doesn’t leave his line or collect crosses to a CDM that doesn’t exist.

Chief123

You are basically writing exactly the same as me.

Again, in the the original post I was simply pointing out, that it is not impossible to be a world class CB at that height. That doesn't mean that anyone actually believes that Martinez can reach that level.
Yes sorry wasn’t necessarily disagreeing with you. It was more a continuation of other people need to stop using cannavaro as a reason that Martinez will be perfectly fine as I keep seeing.

Everyone knows PL is the most physical league in the world. Even Cannavaro never played in this league so we’ve no idea how he would have performed here.

Longshanks

He did ok, but the obvious flaws about his height and physicality were there, and then you have Fred at 6 aswell and there is a massive weakness to high balls which we saw Brighton take advantage off, and with Maguires pace and de geas lack of ability to sweep makes it far to easy to play balls in behind aswell.

So we can be really organised and good in the press but any team that has a physical adept striker (every team in the PL basically) has an easy out ball either go long to target man against martinez or go long behind maguire.

If were gonna carry on with this CB partnership than we need to cover there weaknesses with a no 6 who is good in the air and a genuine sweeper keeper.

Classical Mechanic

Toney is going to destroy him on Saturday.
Funny thing is that Toney isn't very big himself for a striker he just knows how to use his body to win physical battles. The Premier League website actually has Martinez 7 kilos heavier than Toney whilst being 4cm shorter.

That was against Amartey at the weekend who is bigger than him.

Classical Mechanic

He did ok, but the obvious flaws about his height and physicality were there, and then you have Fred at 6 aswell and there is a massive weakness to high balls which we saw Brighton take advantage off, and with Maguires pace and de geas lack of ability to sweep makes it far to easy to play balls in behind aswell.

So we can be really organised and good in the press but any team that has a physical adept striker (every team in the PL basically) has an easy out ball either go long to target man against martinez or go long behind maguire.

If were gonna carry on with this CB partnership than we need to cover there weaknesses with a no 6 who is good in the air and a genuine sweeper keeper.
Malacia is 5ft 6in too. You'd at least think that putting them in the back 4 replacing two players over 6ft is instantly going to make us more vulnerable to long balls and set-pieces.

stoinz

Ok who on the Caf made this?

hahah. This is really funny. I thought he did well and the only one in our backline that doesn't panic with the ball. He reminds me of a more physical Daley Blind.

Name Changed

weso26
He did ok but honestly Welbeck bullied him. If Welbeck can look that good against him, inagine what someone decent in their prime would do. I just presumed he would end up playing in midfield.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
That was also a penalty on his debut.
I forgot about that. I can't believe they didn't give that.

First game all all but he looked weak albeit able to play the ball out.
Not a chance was it. Just because Welbeck decided to hit the deck doesn't mean it was enough to make it happen.

It was a pretty obvious dive and VAR agreed. You just got sucked in by a wailing Carragher on Scouse sports.

Name Changed

weso26
Not a chance was it. Just because Welbeck decided to hit the deck doesn't mean it was enough to make it happen.

It was a pretty obvious dive and VAR agreed. You just got sucked in by a wailing Carragher on Scouse sports.
I didn't watch it on Sky Sports. It was a clear penalty.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I didn't watch it on Sky Sports. It was a clear penalty.
What makes it a penalty in your eyes? the fact that Welbeck hit the deck like a park of cards in the wind? give over :lol:

He knew exactly what he was doing. He put his foot on the ball and waited for Martinez to come closer and as soon as he leaned in he jumped on the floor.

He didn't steam into him and knock him flying at all.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
He is about the same height as Cannavaro, who is still the last defender to win the Ballon d'Or. So it's not impossible. But I do agree, that it is much more of challenge, and you need to compensate with excellent skills in other aspects of the game - particularly in anticipation, timing, etc.
Cannavaro was on another planet skills wise, besides Premier League is a more physically challenging league and even Cannavaro would have his issues here.

Martinez was not bad on Sunday but it was clear that he's going to be targeted by forwards and team will play tall and strong forwards on purpose to make life difficult for him. Unfortunately he will not have a partner capable of covering for his weaknesses as you can trust Maguire to absolutely never be there when he is needed.

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.

Nah, you have to be honest, not only when it suits you. If one of our players was pushed over like that in the opposite box you wouldn't be saying the same thing, no way Welbeck could keep his balance from that push.

MUFC OK

If Varane is fit, I'd like to see Martinez in CDM. Definitely better than what we have in there and would hold his position.

In EtH's system it should be a back 3 at times anyway, with inverted fullbacks packing the midfield.

Name Changed

weso26
What makes it a penalty in your eyes? the fact that Welbeck hit the deck like a park of cards in the wind? give over :lol:

He knew exactly what he was doing. He put his foot on the ball and waited for Martinez to come closer and as soon as he leaned in he jumped on the floor.

He didn't steam into him and knock him flying at all.
What makes it a penalty in my eyes is simply that it was a foul.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Can we please stop with the tiring posts about playing him DM. He's a CB and CB only.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
Someone said that football is mostly played on the deck in the PL, so height shouldn’t be an issue. That’s true but the presence of an unusually short CB means the opposition are going to target him. I doubt Brighton will play as many long, high passes to Welbeck as they did today in their next 5 matches combined.
After watching Malacia mark Dunk on a corner I'm convinced United don't care about silly little details such as man marking.

Appreciate it @GifLord could show a clip of that as it did give me a chuckle.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Seriously, what am i missing here? Yes, his passing is great and he is not a bad player but i can't shake a feeling that while i am watching him i am watching some kind of Rojo/Bailly hybrid. Guy is reckless like Bailly, nothing special in positioning like Rojo, slower than both of them, weaker in air than both of them. We basically added another body in defence for 60 bloody mil.

ThierryFabregas

Supports
Arsenal
This is where I’m at too. He didn’t play that badly yesterday, and in fact showed some lovely touches and passes on the ball. But his weaknesses were also very clear to see early on. Ultimately he (and Maguire tbf) couldn’t deal with the pace, movement & physicality of a 31 year old Danny Welbeck. They were run ragged all day. Imagine what players like Tony, Halland, Kane, Nunez etc are going to do to them. I know it’s become a meme at this point, but he really does look like he has the attributes to be a far more effective PL midfielder then defender.

I do worry that he’s going to end up being the millstone around ETH’s neck in the way that Fellaini was to Moyes and Maguire was to Ole. I just don’t think a player of his stature and build can be a successful PL centre back.
I will point out there's a video of Martinez pocketing both Haaland and Nunez for Ajax

Status
Not open for further replies.