Lisandro Martinez | Man Utd player - Contract till 2027, with the option to extend for a further year

Paul_Scholes18

I think it is stupid spending that money on one of our stronger positions.

I rather we got 2 fantastic midfielders for big money. If we get De Jong as well I do not complain as much though.

If Ronaldo goes we also badly need a striker.

TheReligion

Abusive
Yeah given United announced it on twitter I feel like it's fine to have it on the United forum.

Excited to see him. Reckon he'll be a great signing. Only 24 too.
He looks a quality footballer. Something we’ve been lacking. Nice to see the club getting these technically sound additions.

hobbers

Really need to start shifting off the dead weight in defence now. Starting with Jones and Tuanzebe.

And Williams and Telles and AWB.

MrBest

A ETH signing, I've not seen much of him, but read a lot. I'm just happy the manager is getting the players he wants, he clearly has a vision of who he needs to play his system. Welcome Lisandro!

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
He looks a quality footballer. Something we’ve been lacking. Nice to see the club getting these technically sound additions.
Technically sound but importantly for me, aggressive. Blind was IMO very good for us but occasionally just lacked that aggression. Martinez to me seems like he'll just be almost like Blind on the ball, but agile and aggressive off the ball which goes a long way in the prem.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Too many subject to.. time to walk away

Lights Out

He’s a little bit little
We gave Ajax all they wanted
He’s a little bit little

No? Ok ….

Irwin99

Be interested to see who he's partnered with. Whatever your opinion on the quality of our 4 centre backs they are international class and first teamers for their respective countries (and very strong countries too).

I'm going Maguire and Martinez (or M and M ...sorry :D ) although they both might seem a bit slow. If Maguire's form doesn't pick up then possibly Varane and Martinez.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Heights a non-issue technically sound, I think United need a player like him and I'd argue we haven't really had a player like him being able to play between the lines since Rio.

Good to have a player who can play long balls from the back, start building from the back too it'll really help Sancho and Rashford. Hopefully it also pushes the likes of Maguire to step up his game and competition for places brings out the best in Varane too after a bad last year for the whole team.

If United can get De Jong too I think United are 2 seasons and a few missing pieces from being a formidable team.

Now there'll be an identity under ETH, the team is good and has plenty of years ahead. A few players need shipping out.

TheReligion

Abusive
Technically sound but importantly for me, aggressive. Blind was IMO very good for us but occasionally just lacked that aggression. Martinez to me seems like he'll just be almost like Blind on the ball, but agile and aggressive off the ball which goes a long way in the prem.
Very good point mate and I agree.

He’s got all the tools to be a success here and looks important to the system.

EtH making all the right moves. Excited for the rest of the window!

MUnchies

The base fee
Which is not a bad deal. If we pay the add-ons guess what? It means he has been a success. I don’t get why people don’t see this, Martials add-ons made his fee a lot but we didn’t get to pay them because he wasn’t a success, image we paid the ballon dor clause? No one will care if we paid the add ons. Simple as that

InfiniteBoredom

Moaning about the fee is daft, Stones went for £50m like what, 6 years ago? Ben White went for similar just last summer. Even from Ajax, De Ligt went 3 years ago for £69m. A 31 year old Koulibally from Napoli went for £40m.

This is player of the season from the Dutch champion who smashed their CL group, and is just 25 year old. Just because we didn’t get him for bargain basement price doesnt mean we have been ‘fleeced’.

Anyway, here’s hoping he proves all the naysayers wrong.

Rustyspider13

Good signing. Don't really care where he played; from what I've seen and read he seems like a technically sound, press resistant, aggressive defender who will leave it all on the pitch. Also gives EtH options if he ever decides to move him in midfield for certain games. Hope he finds success here.

BarstoolProphet

- Argentinian
- Tiny
- Left-footed
- Played for Newell's Old Boys
- Initials LM

We finally got him boys :drool:

Fluctuation0161

I think it is stupid spending that money on one of our stronger positions.

I rather we got 2 fantastic midfielders for big money. If we get De Jong as well I do not complain as much though.

If Ronaldo goes we also badly need a striker.
Let's face it. Maguire can't play a high line. If ETH wants to play a high line then we CB is not one of our strongest positions, its one of our weakest.

It just shows how much rebuilding work the squad needs, because you are right, our midfield is also threadbare!

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Another quality addition to the ranks, but we're well and truly overloaded at central defence now.

Varane, Maguire, Lindelof, Bailly, Tuanzebe and Martinez all battling it out for two first-team spots. Competition for places is a good thing, but too much can affect squad harmony. I'd be looking to offload Tuanzebe and Bailly from that list; one is nowhere near good enough and the other is too unreliable.

city-puma

Good signing. Don't really care where he played; from what I've seen and read he seems like a technically sound, press resistant, aggressive defender who will leave it all on the pitch. Also gives EtH options if he ever decides to move him in midfield for certain games. Hope he finds success here.
Perfectly summarizes the common consensus about him. One more is his passing range someone highlights. Not sure how he performs in EPL.

Suv666

Damn Ajax robbed us blind here. Crazy fee for a CB from Eredivise.
Hope this works out. Looks like a tidy player

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Fee is a bit steep for a defender from the Dutch league. Especially since he's a midget. He did quite well at Ajax, but not really convinced he's the level you need.

Luffy

Gomu Gomu
We should really have kept Rojo around to talk some sense into him and keep him from murdering someone.

MUnchies

I believe this signing has to be one of the most negative among the fans I have ever seen and he hasn’t even kicked a ball yet.

First it was his height, pages and pages of people arguing if he can play CB in the premier, others saying he’s to slow, even people posting videos of him being outrun. He’s not a good DM because Ten Hag said so etc.

And now the price is expensive so from the get go our fans expect him to hit the ground running. Why can’t you trust the manager in his vision as fans, why complain? I don’t get it. If the manager believes he can do a job to help us succeed why even question it.

I just feel bad for Martinez, hasn’t even kicked a ball yet. Imagine his first mistake? he will be crucified on here. I believe he will be a success and a fan favorite. Watch this space.

StiffTackle

The price isn’t that bad given the circumstances.

Having already lost six senior players this summer (most of which left for free) Ajax were not keen to sell their player of the year unexpectedly. His contract expires in 2025, we’ve come in for him rather late and the quality of his passing is completely irreplaceable for them.

Given we will probably be back there next summer with an offer for Timber and probably Antony (who I think they will keep now) we have kept the relationship strong by giving them a good fee. I would also bet on the fact they’ve helped us out by accepting a higher fee over more installments as we still need more players this summer (especially if Ronaldo goes).

If he was 6’3” instead of 5’9” there would be no question about the fee or which position he’s going to play (hasn’t played DM for Ajax since his first season).

There are many things a centre back can lack - pace, composure, reading of the game, bravery, football IQ, range of passing & more - yet despite headed goals being a much rarer source of goals and a dying art amongst most strikers, people seem to have decided that him being shorter than average is a huge problem.

I’m far more confident of him being a success than I was for Maguire, but lets just see. This manager is the best we’ve had in the last decade, he knows him better than any of us and likes him enough to spend £55m on him. Lets just be happy about it until we have a reason (on the pitch) not to be.

Reactions: Cheimoon

TheReligion

Abusive
Fee is a bit steep for a defender from the Dutch league. Especially since he's a midget. He did quite well at Ajax, but not really convinced he's the level you need.
You’re negative with every signing :lol:

Both Malacia and now Martinez rubbish.

Hopefully you’re wrong. The other Dutch posters think both will do great.

zenith

ETH may not even play him as a CB, or rather maybe as a 3rd CB/DM. He'd slot in nicely playing between 2 tall CBs and his range of passing will mean that we will transition play quite well.

Maybe the plan is for the full backs to be super aggressive and use the likes of eriksen and bruno to create chances.

Godfather

Don't care about the cost as long as it doesn't affect the dealings still needed for the important positions. If it will though then I'm a bit at a loss.