Lisandro Martinez | Man Utd player - Contract till 2027, with the option to extend for a further year

Rojofiam

What’s the list of most expensive defenders ever looking like?

He is sat at Ben White level fee so I assume he’s not that high on it?
Maguire de Ligt van Dijk Hernández Dias Hakimi Cancelo Laporte White Mendy Martínez

In that order.

He's the 11th most expensive defender ever

tjb

Our fans are very weird. Complain all of June about us not signing anyone, we sign 3 players and yet there is still a complaint. We are still getting him
Huge money for an Eredivisie CB who barely anyone here would have had as high priority pre transfer window.

I can see what he could bring in possession and with his agressive style. It will be good to have a left footed CB. But he will be an obvious weakness for set pieces.

Could be inspired, could be a disaster. I hope Ten Hag knows what he's doing.
I don't see why anyone is complaining. He is an aggressive Centre back with good awareness, good tackling ability, versatility and a good passing range. If he comes in and lights it up, I don't see why anyone would have an issue with this transfer. Our problem at the moment is twofold. We struggle building up from the back and e have issues dealing with counter attack's through the centre, Martinez helps us immensely in both scenarios, whether in midfield or defence. In addition, we are going to be pressing really high, the ball is going to be circulating amongst our defenders, with at least 3 of our defence + DM always responsible for trying to break the line and getting the ball up the pitch. With the team we had last season, this would have been Varane Maguire and Shaw/Fred/Mctominay tasked with doing that. This season it would be Varane Martinez Malacia/Shaw/De Jong (or alternative) which would put us in a significantly stronger position.

Additionally, despite this fact that he will start, this window already puts us in a position where we have much stronger depth in midfield and defence that we would have had at any point since SAF left. That is very important and something some of our fans don't seem to appreciate. Martinez can play at DM/CB or LB; Shaw can play at LCB, Malacia can play at left back, Eriksen can play at CM, AM or any flank, as can Bruno. Liverpool and City have been using this advantage in depth to get through injuries and heavy fixture periods for years. City could play Zinchenko in midfield or left back, Cancelo on either flank, Gundogan in DM or CM, Debruyne across the the CM positions and the front line, Bernardo Silva across the cm positions and the front line and their wingers and strikers across the frontline. Liverpool have done the same with their wingers and strikers, but have also had player like Henderson playing DM at times, Milner covering multiple positions, Oxlade-Chamberlain doing the same. Last season, they signed Upemacano, despite already having a strong defensive partnership because they saw the cost of losing Van Dijk. It's options, rather than simply having starting players that allows these teams to function well across the season and that's what we are getting. For me, getting De Jong and any decent attacker would complete a fantastic window for us.

luke511

He was a priority but once we went for him, he pretty much had made his mind to join us. The good news svout this deal is that he's not injury prone and that he's versatile. Which means that if things don't work out as a CB then we can move him as a DM
It's still within Ajax's right to ask for a price that they know Arsenal will accept if utd don't, and use that in negotiations. Even if it's for an extra 5 to 10 million, that's the difference between this being seen as a good deal to a pricey one.

Rolaholic

Lisandro Martinez hardly played at LB & when he did, he wasn't that good. DM he did decent but Ten Hag felt he didn't have the stamina for it full-time, he can be used there though. He should play CB where he predominantly has played & where he's excelled. Unfortunately, I think Ten Hag will play him as a DM. Because if he plays him as CB he has to drop either Maguire or Varane. You can’t put Varane on the bench on ability. Maguire is captain so I think he will play CDM. That’s just my theory.
Not all designated 'captains' are undroppable tbf.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Lisandro Martinez hardly played at LB & when he did, he wasn't that good. DM he did decent but Ten Hag felt he didn't have the stamina for it full-time, he can be used there though. He should play CB where he predominantly has played & where he's excelled. Unfortunately, I think Ten Hag will play him as a DM. Because if he plays him as CB he has to drop either Maguire or Varane. You can’t put Varane on the bench on ability. Maguire is captain so I think he will play CDM. That’s just my theory.
He will play CB, he’s been bought for his strengths as a CB, so that’s where he will play.
Varane needs to worry about staying fit first otherwise he can clear off too

Greck

Let’s get real, he’s not been signed to be backup. He’s been signed because he’s crucial to how this system works and the coach has identified that the CBs are not good enough. The question is who plays alongside him at CB
Absolutely. We went after 2 CBs this summer, one after the other, we are blatantly in the market for a CB specifically and that is likely where he will play, no, where he should start because he's totally going to start. ETH shouldn't need to justify sketchy buys of his predecessors, that is assuming they don't fit the style.

Idxomer

A great passer, comfortable in possession and an aggressive defender who doesn't shy away from getting stuck in.

You could argue he's more complete than any of our other defenders except maybe Varane if he remains fit.

Bobski

look forward to the day where your not depressingly negative for no fecking reason

95%+ of posters have been extremely positive about this transfer. If you are getting depressed by the odd person questioning it that is a you problem.

Wezzaldo

Get in, will be a brilliant signing.
And height jokes are really getting tiresome...
Yup, people really kick the arse out of a joke on here well past the point where it becomes unfunny and annoying.

Inezzi

Good signing! He'll be a very reliable player for Man Utd and will always give a 110%. Good passer as well and knows what Ten Hag wants so hopefully he'll quickly adapt to the EPL and become a success. Of course there will always be some initial question marks because of his height, but he formed a great duo with Timber who is also not the tallest and I never had doubts about them taking on big strikers. I think with someone complimentary next to him it should be okay and obviously he could even play LB or DM. And maybe Utd will come back for Timber next season to reunite them.

As a fan of both clubs it's a shame he's leaving Ajax, but potentially 67M euros is an absolutely insane price that the club probably would never get for him if not for ETH. Fantastic business for Ajax which is a consolation for losing a great servant to the club. Good luck to Licha and hope he'll become a major success at Man Utd!

Last edited:
Reactions: Cheimoon

TheReligion

Abusive

Dazzmondo

I think the price is poor tbh, but I think Martinez is excellent. I personally always liked him more than Timber, so I was quite happy that Timber changed his mind about joining and that seemingly led to us going for Martinez instead. I don't think the height issue will be a big problem, he's super strong and I've never seen him struggle in the air, even when against physically strong and technically good strikers like Haaland and Nunez. Incredible on the ball and an excellent tackler. I also have seen some comments that suggests he has a top winning mentality which we similarly need badly in our dressing room. Obviously a massive advantage that he already knows how ETH wants his defence to transition and press also.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Absolutely. We went after 2 CBs this summer, one after the other, we are blatantly in the market for a CB specifically and that is likely where he will play, no, where he should start because he's totally going to start. ETH shouldn't need to justify sketchy buys of his predecessors, that is assuming they don't fit the style.
Fully expect us to be in for Timber again next summer before someone else gets him

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
A great passer, comfortable in possession and an aggressive defender who doesn't shy away from getting stuck in.

You could argue he's more complete than any of our other defenders except maybe Varane if he remains fit.
More importantly, he definitely fits ETH's system and style of play more than any of our other defenders.

I know it should be a basic but just knowing the manager has a clear, detailed idea of what he wants the team to be and we're signing players specifically to fit that vision would be a step-up.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
And more than one source has now reported that we opted for Martinez over the recruitment team's choice Pau Torres, another CB.

sillwuka

He's signed officially so no more short jokes from me.

The Butcher, what a nickname. I'm really looking forward to seeing him on the pitch.

slored1

Welcome! Hope we now ship Bailly, Jones and Tuanzebe out. No time for wasters.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Any quotes from Ten Hag about the player now we’ve signed him? Too lazy to look myself.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Get in, will be a brilliant signing.
And height jokes are really getting tiresome...
Agreed! We have a tall defender that cost £80m who is pretty shite yet a lot of fans are happy for him to be starting but they have concerns over Martinez? Make that make sense.

trevor newnham

Supports
Vigo RFC, Charlton
He's signed officially so no more short jokes from me.

The Butcher, what a nickname. I'm really looking forward to seeing him on the pitch.
Whoops. I posted him as the Beast. Too many Guinness I fear, he is known as the Butcher. Sorry, mods!

Jezpeza

Why are people that caught up on height? He has good aerial stats regardless but its hardly 1998 where you have premier league teams playing 442 with two big men and trying to put 40 crosses a game into the box

OverratedOpinion

I have a feeling he is going to be very good.

We get caught out by counter attacks down our left so frequently and he seems to be brilliant at covering that area of the pitch.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Fully expect us to be in for Timber again next summer before someone else gets him
You keep saying this but I just don't see it unless we get him as right back.

I didn't really rate the kid that much so perhaps it's my bias against him but I doubt ten hag tries that combo in the prem and that's assuming his stock doesn't fall.

TheReligion

Abusive
He is definitely not our best player. Timber is way better. Although Martinez is an OK player, but holy crap Manchester got shafted in my honest opinion. I think 40 million would have been the absolute max. All Ajax fans are really surprised by it. With Bassey as his replacement, I think we will do alright actually. Hope you guys don't go for Antony haha, because I would mind losing him.
He was your POTY? :houllier:
@AjaxCunian

tjb

More importantly, he definitely fits ETH's system and style of play more than any of our other defenders.

I know it should be a basic but just knowing the manager has a clear, detailed idea of what he wants the team to be and we're signing players specifically to fit that vision would be a step-up.
For me,, the big thing is, he's also insanely versatile. If he doesn't work in defence, w have a sure fire midfielder who is better than either Fred or Mctominay in midfield. He can hold or play box to box too. He's an all around good footballer, similar to Mascherano

JustinC00

I think it is stupid spending that money on one of our stronger positions.
Nah.

Varane didn't prove he can be consistently depended on
Maguire and Lindelof we are lucky if we get through a match where one of them has a 6.5/10 game.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Thanks

@Massive Spanner

Think it’s disingenuous to be branding him one of the most expensive defenders ever when there’s ten others above him no?

Absolute classic.

Sounds like @UnitedFire in his playing days
Uh, no? The 11th most expensive defender ever is one of the most expensive defenders ever.

And whether it’s 8th, 11th, 15th doesn’t matter all that much, it still makes it a mouth watering fee for a player like that

Irwin99

Them both being slow is why they won't play together, or at least why it won't last long.
Not sure about that, although it is a concern. Varane might be the best option to partner him but I can see Maguire being first choice for the opening league games. We also have an EtH quote saying he prefers Martinez as a centre back to a DM.

I'm really looking forward to seeing this guy play at any rate.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I think it is stupid spending that money on one of our stronger positions.

I rather we got 2 fantastic midfielders for big money. If we get De Jong as well I do not complain as much though.

If Ronaldo goes we also badly need a striker.
Did centre back look particularly strong to you last season?
Or do you think other positions were even worse?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Them both being slow is why they won't play together, or at least why it won't last long.
Ten Hag has already stated Maguire is the captain hasn't he?
Surely he intends him to play most games?